vegeotto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

checking cholesterol and blood glucose levels while on keto

I'm not worried with all the fats and cholesterol but whenever I tell people about my diet they're concerned for my health so I figured that the best thing to do is to check my vitals myself so i can be assured and prove that high fat diets are fine...

so anyways...besides the obvious fast, is there anything I should be concerned about if I follow a strict keto diet during this time period?

I'm also having my blood glucose levels checked, so that I can see if I am more insulin resistant or sensitive. So I was wondering, should I introduce carbs into my diet for a proper assessment of the results? If so, how long? a few days, one week, two weeks?

Thanks!

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Waste of time. A, I'm assuming you didn't have a blood test before you started keto, so you have no baseline to compare with. And B, any change of diet can produce weird results in the early stages. You should be on keto for at least a couple of months before you'll get a good idea of how it's affecting your blood work.

You don't need to eat carbs before a glucose test. One of the things your body can do is break down just enough protein to supply the glucose it absolutely needs. Having an unexpected high carb meal may throw this system long enough to give a messed up result.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

vegeotto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Waste of time. A, I'm assuming you didn't have a blood test before you started keto, so you have no baseline to compare with. And B, any change of diet can produce weird results in the early stages. You should be on keto for at least a couple of months before you'll get a good idea of how it's affecting your blood work.

You don't need to eat carbs before a glucose test. One of the things your body can do is break down just enough protein to supply the glucose it absolutely needs. Having an unexpected high carb meal may throw this system long enough to give a messed up result.
    You're correct in that I don't have a baseline. I've done keto this past summer for my cut (which I really enjoyed), but I transitioned to a moderate carb bulk until about last month. So maybe I'll wait 1-2 months to make sure that my body is fully adapted. But I'm probably fine considering that I'm young, active, and have no pre-existing health problems. I have also never heard of anyone saying that keto made their health problems worse, and I wouldn't imagine so as long as keto doesn't mean mcdonalds and kfc.

rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    my wife just got put on a observation for glucose, so i used her set-up, Im 99 after a 8 hour fast, still in ketosis..

Ivan088816 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ivan088816 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ivan088816 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ivan088816 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ivan088816 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ivan088816 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ivan088816 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ivan088816 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ivan088816 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ivan088816 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ivan088816 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rusrious View Post
    my wife just got put on a observation for glucose, so i used her set-up, Im 99 after a 8 hour fast, still in ketosis..
    99 is very high. I was 99 too after a 24hr fast. I have started to eat low carb and have been cutting a little bit. I just checked my fasting sugar and it was at 73 mg/dL.
    Always Rep back

pmed8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pmed8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pmed8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pmed8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pmed8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pmed8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pmed8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pmed8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pmed8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pmed8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pmed8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Ivan088816 View Post
    99 is very high. I was 99 too after a 24hr fast. I have started to eat low carb and have been cutting a little bit. I just checked my fasting sugar and it was at 73 mg/dL.

99 is not exactly "very high"

The widely accepted ranges for what's considered a "normal" blood glucose level is either 80-120 or 60-100 depending on which group of medical professionals you listen to.

While 99 is towards the middle to upper end of what's considered "normal" its not anything at all to be concerned about.

While we are on the subject, there are a lot of factors that go into BGL outside of just nutritional intake. Things such as infection, stress, or even vomiting can cause BGL levels to vary greatly from one end of the spectrum to the other. Unless you are getting a doctor ordered AC1 test that comes back abnormal I wouldn't stress too much about it.