Thread: Soccer tips?

meatwagon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Soccer tips?

Hey, I'm 12 and I play soccer. I play center midfield and recently my team went to Las Vegas for a tournament for 1st place, I don't usually play left defense but my coach out of thin air told me to play left defense because our starter broke his leg in rugby. So I had to and I did really well like I saved tons of goals, the reason why is because when I was smaller and I played at my school and all I did was play defense and remembered some tactics. I got pretty pissed off and I ended up playing left defense the whole entire tournament and I got extremely pissed off because I came to Las Vegas to play center midfield not a stinking defense. So this practice we had a couple of days ago, we had a pk drill there were 5 balls lined up and you had to strike them at the keeper and get as much goals as you could. When it was my turn I literally smoked the balls, I hit them so hard that everybody was like cheering, my second shot I did I fell down because of my momentum. He said I had a pretty decent shot and it's the end of the season. he told me that Expect to play alot of different positions if you try out because you have a pretty decent shot, good defending, and a nice center midfield. I want to become a Forward for all my life because I love that position. Is there any way I could work out in shape for a Forward, like train my calves. I have membership to Pac (pacific athletic community) its in san diego so i got that covered. I'm 4"11 75 lbs. Don't tell me not to work out now because I will stay a midget like my brother says. I know that. Just tell me some workouts i can do to get fit for a forward position, thanks.

runner2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good luck at getting an early start on training! I'd work all the major muscle groups on your lolwer body and really work on speed drills and endurance training.

joeedoom is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeedoom is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeedoom is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeedoom is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeedoom is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeedoom is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeedoom is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeedoom is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeedoom is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeedoom is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeedoom is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Dont be a child about it. Play where they tell you, that is the way to progress, not spitting your dummy about position, that well get you dumped early.

Are you a fast player or are you a stocky kid? Give me the names of 3 pro's that you think you play like (not that you want to play like) to give me an idea of what your style is. I'll see what I can think of to help. If you could make them players in or from Europe please do... I dont watch MLS or Hyundai League or anything that isn't top top flight.
    Stimulate, not decimate. Recruit, not conscript.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Why thank you, I'd love some reps.

ElTioMoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElTioMoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElTioMoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElTioMoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElTioMoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElTioMoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElTioMoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElTioMoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElTioMoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElTioMoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElTioMoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Understanding all the positions and being able to play them will help you in the position you want, it will give you insight of what to do based off the people around you and the ball. If you look at high level players most of them can play different positions. Will be waiting to see your response to the post above.

Stevehowe10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stevehowe10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by meatwagon1 View Post
    Hey, I'm 12 and I play soccer. I play center midfield and recently my team went to Las Vegas for a tournament for 1st place, I don't usually play left defense but my coach out of thin air told me to play left defense because our starter broke his leg in rugby. So I had to and I did really well like I saved tons of goals, the reason why is because when I was smaller and I played at my school and all I did was play defense and remembered some tactics. I got pretty pissed off and I ended up playing left defense the whole entire tournament and I got extremely pissed off because I came to Las Vegas to play center midfield not a stinking defense. So this practice we had a couple of days ago, we had a pk drill there were 5 balls lined up and you had to strike them at the keeper and get as much goals as you could. When it was my turn I literally smoked the balls, I hit them so hard that everybody was like cheering, my second shot I did I fell down because of my momentum. He said I had a pretty decent shot and it's the end of the season. he told me that Expect to play alot of different positions if you try out because you have a pretty decent shot, good defending, and a nice center midfield. I want to become a Forward for all my life because I love that position. Is there any way I could work out in shape for a Forward, like train my calves. I have membership to Pac (pacific athletic community) its in san diego so i got that covered. I'm 4"11 75 lbs. Don't tell me not to work out now because I will stay a midget like my brother says. I know that. Just tell me some workouts i can do to get fit for a forward position, thanks.
    Unlike most who have replied I understand the physical capabilities of each position in soccer. Forwards are physically stronger than other players on the field. As young as you are lifting weights will not help you in soccer at the moment. Wait until high school to start putting on the weight to really hold up the ball as a forward.

joeedoom is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeedoom is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeedoom is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeedoom is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeedoom is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeedoom is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeedoom is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeedoom is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeedoom is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeedoom is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeedoom is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Stevehowe10 View Post
    Unlike most who have replied I understand the physical capabilities of each position in soccer. Forwards are physically stronger than other players on the field.
    lol. no they are not. you fail at knowing about "soccer"

themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    to the OP. I was in a similar situation to you around your age, I loved centre mid and often played there but on several occasions I was used as a utility player at right back which frustrated me alot. Over time, I have played many different positions (some I preferred more than others) but I found the playing experience helped develop me more as an all round player. Although now I only play right wing/ upfront, being able to understand all playing positions will give you a better understanding of how the game works and develop your decision making (qualities that will separate you from the rest as you get older, especially from the age of 15 upwards).
    At your age you have plenty of time to develop, the most important thing you can develop now is speed especially in the modern game and even more important as an attacking player, strength and stamina can all be developed later. I wouldn't get too hung up about playing left back from time to time but if it does start to frustrate you talk to your coach/ask your parents to speak to them to sort it out, you don't want to get stuck playing a position you don't want/ don't feel you are best at for a long period of time. If the problem persists then move club, this happened to me and moving club was the best decision I ever made. hope this helps.
    "The journey to a place worth getting to is never easy but pain is only temporary, victory is forever" - Jeremy H.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary" - Vince Lombardi

Stevehowe10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stevehowe10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by joeedoom View Post
    lol. no they are not. you fail at knowing about "soccer"
    Drogba, Rooney, Villa, Tevez.. The most successful strikers (able to play 1 up top) at the moment, all physically larger and stronger than others on the field. If you don't think strength helps you hold up the ball or power through defenders.. You should probably not post about the game anymore.
    Last edited by Stevehowe10; 04-04-2011 at 07:55 AM.

YayaKnudsen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Drogba, Rooney, Villa, Tevez.. The most successful strikers (able to play 1 up top) at the moment, all physically larger and stronger than others on the field. If you don't think strength helps you hold up the ball or power through defenders.. You should probably not post about the game anymore.
    Villa is indeed known for his incredible physical strenght... right
    Good observation, bro.

cglaeser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cglaeser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cglaeser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cglaeser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cglaeser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cglaeser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cglaeser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cglaeser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cglaeser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cglaeser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cglaeser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As young as you are lifting weights will not help you in soccer at the moment.
    When Tiger Woods demonstrated to the golfing world the benefits of weight training, I thought that perhaps the rest of the sports world would recognize the benefits. Apparently, not everyone got the memo.

Best,
    Christopher

Originally Posted by YayaKnudsen View Post
    Villa is indeed known for his incredible physical strenght... right
    Good observation, bro.
    Stronger than ***nando Torres, and we all know how well he's playing. Villa isn't by any means jacked, but he has a very strong physical presence on the field.

YayaKnudsen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Stronger than ***nando Torres, and we all know how well he's playing. Villa isn't by any means jacked, but he has a very strong physical presence on the field.
    He's not physically strong in the sense of being big and muscular. Of course he got some strong muscles, all top players do, but Villa's strenghts is his speed, agility, technique (especially his finishing skills) and of course his goal scoring ability.
    I will agree with you though, that "meatwagon1" should wait to start training with weights. I think he should concentrate more on playing as much soccer as he can. Train by yourself when no one wants to play, juggle, shoot etc. And then, if you got the good technical skills you can start working out.
    Also watch matches on tv and observe how the pro players act in the different playing situations to become a more intelligent player yourself.

Elpique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Elpique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Elpique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Elpique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Elpique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Elpique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Elpique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Elpique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Elpique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Something i don't like about soccer in the US is that coaches seem to ignore a players natural ability or skill for a certain position and put em in positions they aren't naturally gifted at.

Sure you can learn to dominate the position but why force them to play one position when they are clearly built for another where they can really develop their potential and be a bigger asset to the team. This is not always the case but its happened to me and other players I talk to way too often.
    ---We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence is therefore not an act but a habit---

---Aristotle---

dude your an idiot.

you select 4 players renouned for their strength and state that therefore centre forwards are stronger than any other players. strength in a centre forward is a rarity when compared to a centre half or half back.

for those 4 forwards your named (one of which is david fekking villa for gods sake) I could name 90% of all other players who are stronger. Honestly, Villa is a winger, and a short light one at that.

ive played the game since I was 5, thats 21 years. what about you? not only that, football is in my blood, its our national sport, its a family past time. we receive more education on how to play it than any other sport. also, ive played semi-pro. out of the 2 of us, i would say im more qualified.

you dare to say i know nothing of football, you who list david villa as a physically strong player along with torres, taking rooney and drogba as the norm throughout all strikers. you sir are a complete idiot and i suggest YOU dont post any more on the subject. you might even be a troll you make so little sense.

yes mad, and negged.

dude your an idiot.

you select 4 players renouned for their strength and state that therefore centre forwards are stronger than any other players. strength in a centre forward is a rarity when compared to a centre half or half back.

for those 4 forwards your named (one of which is david fekking villa for gods sake) I could name 90% of all other players who are stronger. Honestly, Villa is a winger, and a short light one at that.

ive played the game since I was 5, thats 21 years. what about you? not only that, football is in my blood, its our national sport, its a family past time. we receive more education on how to play it than any other sport. also, ive played semi-pro. out of the 2 of us, i would say im more qualified.

you dare to say i know nothing of football, you who list david villa as a physically strong player along with torres, taking rooney and drogba as the norm throughout all strikers. you sir are a complete idiot and i suggest YOU dont post any more on the subject. you might even be a troll you make so little sense.

yes mad, and negged.
    Haha wow forgot about this post. You act as if Rooney, Torres, Villa or Drogba get tossed off the ball. But hey, what do I know.. I'm just an American playing for the club Clint Dempsey did.. we all know how bad Dempsey is.

Haha wow forgot about this post. You act as if Rooney, Torres, Villa or Drogba get tossed off the ball. But hey, what do I know.. I'm just an American playing for the club Clint Dempsey did.. we all know how bad Dempsey is.
    and that means what exactly? i played at the same club Cantona did but I now play Sunday pub football.

your new argument is invalid, your old argument is still invalid, you are invalid. and you are re-negged for this bs.

edit, re-negged on recharge.

njkid123 is not very helpful. (-500) njkid123 is not very helpful. (-500) njkid123 is not very helpful. (-500) njkid123 is not very helpful. (-500) njkid123 is not very helpful. (-500) njkid123 is not very helpful. (-500) njkid123 is not very helpful. (-500) njkid123 is not very helpful. (-500) njkid123 is not very helpful. (-500) njkid123 is not very helpful. (-500) njkid123 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Center backs are usually the strongest............

Brb Pato is pushing Cannavaro off the ball

Want2GetBig7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Want2GetBig7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Unlike most who have replied I understand the physical capabilities of each position in soccer. Forwards are physically stronger than other players on the field. As young as you are lifting weights will not help you in soccer at the moment. Wait until high school to start putting on the weight to really hold up the ball as a forward.
    Do you even watch soccer?

Defenders are the strongest, forwards are usually quicker, lighter and more skillfull , while defenders are strong physical and tough, not saying however that forwards cannot have these aspects too.

You fail at knowing soccer

Want2GetBig7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Want2GetBig7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    dude your an idiot.

ive played the game since I was 5, thats 21 years. what about you? not only
    that, football is in my blood, its our national sport, its a family past time. we receive more education on how to play it than any other sport. also, ive played semi-pro. out of the 2 of us, i would say im more qualified. you dare to say i know nothing of football, you who list david villa as a physically strong player along with torres, taking rooney and drogba as the norm throughout all strikers. you sir are a complete idiot and i suggest YOU dont post any more on the subject. you might even be a troll you make so little sense.

yes mad, and negged.
    This^