Page 3 of 128 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    shoobey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shoobey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shoobey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shoobey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shoobey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shoobey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shoobey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shoobey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shoobey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shoobey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shoobey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DarkGrey View Post
    i've always been wanting to drop the american version of foreign beggars..there never has been a good dubstep song with an american rapper over top
    This isn't even close to dubstep but maybe you could do something with this? Prob wayyyy too far from dubstep though lol

DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    that would make for a sick dub mix. i'm total **** at producing though, i just started to get back into it and im not very solid anymore. feelsbadman.jpg >.<
    hai bra

shoobey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shoobey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shoobey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shoobey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shoobey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shoobey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shoobey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shoobey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shoobey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shoobey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shoobey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    that would make for a sick dub mix. i'm total **** at producing though, i just started to get back into it and im not very solid anymore. feelsbadman.jpg >.<
    ahh misunderstood you, forgot I was in the producer thread and not the DJ thread lol! Yea there aren't any good dubstep songs w/ non-english rappers over it, would be nice if you could give us something!

excess34 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) excess34 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) excess34 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) excess34 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) excess34 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) excess34 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) excess34 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) excess34 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) excess34 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) excess34 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) excess34 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by shoobey View Post
    ahh misunderstood you, forgot I was in the producer thread and not the DJ thread lol! Yea there aren't any good dubstep songs w/ non-english rappers over it, would be nice if you could give us something!
    speaking of being in the production thread man any headway on producing??
    New Jersey Crew (973)
    Peaking To Life Crew
    ++ Positive Crew ++

trance music producer brah: http://www.monoversemusic.com

podcast / mixes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/monoverse-radio/id875188987

SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000)
    First I wanna say thank you guys these are questions I've been asking for a while now other places and not really getting any answers.

I have a few more questions too though:

In regards to limiting and probably side chain compression- where do those come in the process?

Are there any rules ex. always compress before/after you equalize?

Also I have a loop I took from a song. The problem is either I'm tripping or when I sampled it, it lost a good portion of it's volume. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get that volume back and also want it to stand out in the mix, so I will at least normalize it and boost/cut. Can I use one compressor as both limiter and side chain, or would I have to use 2 separate?

Originally Posted by excess34 View Post
    speaking of being in the production thread man any headway on producing??
    nah not really, I am trying to get a job right now and I don't really have time to watch any more tutorials, and I still barely know anything about producing. I know nothing about music, I just watched a few Ableton tutorials and just mess around for now. I don't even have time to watch mixing ones either, I watched tutorials for a day or so 2 months back, and now I just wing it and trial and error lol.

Producing and mixing are both definitely for me though, such a shame I figured out how much fun they are at 25 tho lol. I have as much fun mixing and producing as I do snowboarding, and NOTHING has ever come close to snowboarding for me. I'm very happy that I found a hobby I can do in my downtime from work though, especially one that is productive and not something involving drinking like most lol

excess34 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) excess34 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) excess34 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) excess34 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) excess34 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) excess34 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) excess34 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) excess34 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) excess34 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) excess34 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) excess34 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SpiderSense View Post
    First I wanna say thank you guys these are questions I've been asking for a while now other places and not really getting any answers.

I have a few more questions too though:

In regards to limiting and probably side chain compression- where do those come in the process?

Are there any rules ex. always compress before/after you equalize?

Also I have a loop I took from a song. The problem is either I'm tripping or when I sampled it, it lost a good portion of it's volume. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get that volume back and also want it to stand out in the mix, so I will at least normalize it and boost/cut. Can I use one compressor as both limiter and side chain, or would I have to use 2 separate?
    as far as actual limiting goes, IMO it should only be used in the mastering stage. the last thing you want to do is squash the dynamics of your song.

as for sidechain compression though or any fx chain really, eq should be the first in place.

i dont believe you can use one compressor as both a limiter and sidechain but even still i wouldnt be limiting anything until the final mastering of a song. the issue with your loop when you created it may lie in the way you're exporting it in the first place? make sure nothing is on the master channel and you're rendering at the highest settings. once it's exported, as you said, just boost/cut with EQ and balance it in the mix down
    New Jersey Crew (973)
    Peaking To Life Crew
    ++ Positive Crew ++

podcast / mixes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/monoverse-radio/id875188987

ctg23 is just really nice. (+1000) ctg23 is just really nice. (+1000) ctg23 is just really nice. (+1000) ctg23 is just really nice. (+1000) ctg23 is just really nice. (+1000) ctg23 is just really nice. (+1000) ctg23 is just really nice. (+1000) ctg23 is just really nice. (+1000) ctg23 is just really nice. (+1000) ctg23 is just really nice. (+1000) ctg23 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i ended up getting an akai mpk25 on last week and been blitzing the production over the weekend.

this is what ive done so far
    http://soundcloud.com/ctg23

the track isnt finished or mixed properly and i know the arrangement towards the end is a bit over the place, but i think ill move onto something else now as im sick to death of it lol

not bad for my first time actually producin i think, considering i have done nothing like this before.
    had a bit of help from sonic academy which im not ashamed about to admit as ive learnt loads from that. so now have started another track which i hope to be more progressive and techno influenced.

any tips/ things i should remember when making a track? i use cubase 5
    https://www.mixcloud.com/ctg23/

Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    as far as actual limiting goes, IMO it should only be used in the mastering stage. the last thing you want to do is squash the dynamics of your song.

as for sidechain compression though or any fx chain really, eq should be the first in place.

i dont believe you can use one compressor as both a limiter and sidechain but even still i wouldnt be limiting anything until the final mastering of a song. the issue with your loop when you created it may lie in the way you're exporting it in the first place? make sure nothing is on the master channel and you're rendering at the highest settings. once it's exported, as you said, just boost/cut with EQ and balance it in the mix down
    Not sure if this thread is purely for more electronic music stuff, but I've got a big interest in rock and metal production and limiting and clipping on single elements is actually quite common. I can imagine it should work on some electronic music too surely.
    Compression for a lot of wave shaping, transient control etc, while using clipping and limiting to really smack down on certain things that would otherwise cause the master bus to clip.
    It's actually also quite common for many mix engineers to use compression on the master bus and 'mix into' the master bus compression and also mix into the limiter, so they can get a good idea of how balanced it will feel when it's limited, and to get a good handle on drum transients, so that by the time it gets sent to the actual mastering engineer, the snare drum for example isn't totally buried in the mix (which tends to happen quite often, not just in n00b productions, but even some semi pro and even some pro productions).
    If this is all done correctly, the transients will still exist and dynamics will still exist and this is how many pro mix engineers stay at the top of the game because they've learnt how to mix with today's loud mastering levels (provided it's not stupid loud and squashed), like the last Metallica album for example).

Just some food for thought, and also good to experiment with other techniques

Originally Posted by Sevenstrings View Post
    Not sure if this thread is purely for more electronic music stuff, but I've got a big interest in rock and metal production and limiting and clipping on single elements is actually quite common. I can imagine it should work on some electronic music too surely.
    Compression for a lot of wave shaping, transient control etc, while using clipping and limiting to really smack down on certain things that would otherwise cause the master bus to clip.
    It's actually also quite common for many mix engineers to use compression on the master bus and 'mix into' the master bus compression and also mix into the limiter, so they can get a good idea of how balanced it will feel when it's limited, and to get a good handle on drum transients, so that by the time it gets sent to the actual mastering engineer, the snare drum for example isn't totally buried in the mix (which tends to happen quite often, not just in n00b productions, but even some semi pro and even some pro productions).
    If this is all done correctly, the transients will still exist and dynamics will still exist and this is how many pro mix engineers stay at the top of the game because they've learnt how to mix with today's loud mastering levels (provided it's not stupid loud and squashed), like the last Metallica album for example).

Just some food for thought, and also good to experiment with other techniques
    while you do have a point and i do greatly advocate experimenting - with dance music, most of what we're dealing with here is created through soft synths and samplers etc. and there's no recording aspect to it. besides that, many of the drum samples we all use have already been compressed by the sample pack creators and thus only need to be adjusted volume wise and eq'd to fit better in the mix.

though i'm sure if i had more knowledge and experience, i would probably use compression a lot more on the individual pieces. for now, i'm afraid that my lack of experience in using it will cause issues that i'd rather avoid - such as noticeable over-compression.
    New Jersey Crew (973)
    Peaking To Life Crew
    ++ Positive Crew ++

Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    while you do have a point and i do greatly advocate experimenting - with dance music, most of what we're dealing with here is created through soft synths and samplers etc. and there's no recording aspect to it. besides that, many of the drum samples we all use have already been compressed by the sample pack creators and thus only need to be adjusted volume wise and eq'd to fit better in the mix.

though i'm sure if i had more knowledge and experience, i would probably use compression a lot more on the individual pieces. for now, i'm afraid that my lack of experience in using it will cause issues that i'd rather avoid - such as noticeable over-compression.
    Yeah that makes sense.
    Well hopefully my taste is useful for people into rock and metal production anyway lol.
    I can still imagine the 'wave shaping' and slight mild distortion that compression can bring to the table could still be useful for certain types of electronic/dance music, if not so much the limiting/clipping on individual elements.

What is a good drum sample pack to purchase?

What is a good drum sample pack to purchase?
    my favorites at the moment are vengeance elite house 3 and riley & durrant samples. i'd also check out the wavealchemy stuff

Originally Posted by Sevenstrings View Post
    Yeah that makes sense.
    Well hopefully my taste is useful for people into rock and metal production anyway lol.
    I can still imagine the 'wave shaping' and slight mild distortion that compression can bring to the table could still be useful for certain types of electronic/dance music, if not so much the limiting/clipping on individual elements.
    if you have any tutorials on wave shaping i'm truly interested. i can never find anything in depth and clear enough on the subject to actually learn what i'm doing
    New Jersey Crew (973)
    Peaking To Life Crew
    ++ Positive Crew ++

DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    my favorites at the moment are vengeance elite house 3 and riley & durrant samples. i'd also check out the wavealchemy stuff

if you have any tutorials on wave shaping i'm truly interested. i can never find anything in depth and clear enough on the subject to actually learn what i'm doing
    its fawking crazy you said that. most of the songs im making right now are completely based around veng. house 3. legit. check the soundcloud, and most of my main synths/drops are from VG3. such a nasty pack.

btw, psst. audionews.ru i didn't say anything, but register there if you can.
    hai bra

supitslee will become famous soon enough. (+50) supitslee will become famous soon enough. (+50) supitslee will become famous soon enough. (+50) supitslee will become famous soon enough. (+50) supitslee will become famous soon enough. (+50) supitslee will become famous soon enough. (+50) supitslee will become famous soon enough. (+50) supitslee will become famous soon enough. (+50) supitslee will become famous soon enough. (+50) supitslee will become famous soon enough. (+50) supitslee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    in on this bitch

check out my newest track

http://soundcloud.com/leehowardmusic/deep-v2-mastering

also if anybody knows how to master please gimme some tips.. djs would you throw this down in your set? how can i make it more dj friendly ??
    ~hairy ass crew~
    ~chew crew~

see my soundcloud comment.
    hai bra

Originally Posted by supitslee View Post
    in on this bitch

also if anybody knows how to master please gimme some tips.. djs would you throw this down in your set? how can i make it more dj friendly ??
    lol you are gonna remix my rock "song"? You know I just made those songs for lols right? That rock song took me under 30 minutes to make start to finish lol. That song is only a rock song because that was probably the first hour I had Ableton and was learning how to use it, and couldn't make a proper dance beat so I just tried that haha

I would love to learn how to produce but after only a day of seeing what it entails, I realize definitely don't have the time commitment available at this point in my life.
    Last edited by shoobey; 05-03-2011 at 10:08 PM.

Originally Posted by supitslee View Post
    in on this bitch

really well done, perfect execution on the glitching. i don't quite like the crazy chopped vocals as they seem really too nutty for me. but it's still enjoyable. as far as mastering though, even if you're a pro at it i'd still let someone else handle final mastering. just my $.02
    New Jersey Crew (973)
    Peaking To Life Crew
    ++ Positive Crew ++

SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Let's keep this bad boy upped maybe we can get some sticky action.

mangravy is a name known to all. (+5000) mangravy is a name known to all. (+5000) mangravy is a name known to all. (+5000) mangravy is a name known to all. (+5000) mangravy is a name known to all. (+5000) mangravy is a name known to all. (+5000) mangravy is a name known to all. (+5000) mangravy is a name known to all. (+5000) mangravy is a name known to all. (+5000) mangravy is a name known to all. (+5000) mangravy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    im in week 6 of my pro tools 101 class, first time ever learning the program. my goal is to produce hip-hop. im about to setup in my room, and i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the equipment for a beginner. ima be getting pro tools 9 (obviously), a MIDI keyboard, speakers, dual monitors, an mbox, and a firewire drive. im curious what brands, where to buy for the best price, and any other info i should know for a beginner. all help is appreciated thanks brahs
    He who hesitates is lost

Pro Tools class huh?

That must be awesome.

As for where to get gear get catalogs like Sweetwater, Musician's Friend...

Find what you want....

Then buy off craigslist, ebay, etc..

sevenstrings dropped me a link to a forum discussing compression/limiting on individual elements, definitely worth the read through: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...-elements.html
    New Jersey Crew (973)
    Peaking To Life Crew
    ++ Positive Crew ++

Yeah that's what I always figured the end result of limiting to look like you basically smooth things out to almost like a brick/rectangular shape, then it makes it that much easier to stack on the next thing etc..

Then sidechain ducking is similar except now you're taking out notches of the audio and then stacking it into audio almost like a piece to a puzzle.

can i get some feedback on my new test song

http://soundcloud.com/dj-dark-grey/beaver-season
    hai bra

I made this "song" yesterday just to see I could actually make a song that didn't sound like a video game this time. Not the most complex song, but this is my first real attempt at producing. Let me know what you bros think!

http://soundcloud.com/mixxxx/my-song
    Last edited by shoobey; 05-11-2011 at 10:04 PM.

can i get some feedback on my new test song

http://soundcloud.com/dj-dark-grey/beaver-season
    i like it bro! Sick melody

hells yes brohams!!! adastra, my collab project, just got signed to 'dangerbox recordings' for our remix of a friends song. we're getting opportunities to remix another upcoming release too - and hopefully we'll land some original stuff on the label as well.

thought i'd share

also DG - sorry about not having touched the stems you sent me. i did mean to start a project up but i just got so involved handling promotion for our newest tunes plus working on new original stuff, kind of side tracked me :X
    Last edited by excess34; 05-12-2011 at 02:35 PM.
    New Jersey Crew (973)
    Peaking To Life Crew
    ++ Positive Crew ++

I made this "song" yesterday just to see I could actually make a song that didn't sound like a video game this time. Not the most complex song, but this is my first real attempt at producing. Let me know what you bros think!

http://soundcloud.com/mixxxx/my-song
    ive heard far worse 'first' songs :P though, i wouldnt say it's much of a song. get a bassline going at least! and start filling up the track with more melodic content - pads, a lead melody.

don't worry about getting a perfect sound right now - make a habit of finishing the projects you start and your learning rate with increase exponentially.
    New Jersey Crew (973)
    Peaking To Life Crew
    ++ Positive Crew ++

marcZERO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcZERO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcZERO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcZERO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcZERO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcZERO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcZERO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcZERO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcZERO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcZERO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcZERO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    excess34: your tracks sound real good...
    also, congrats on your getting your project signed.

keep pushin'!
    www.thebigshots.com to listen to tracks.
    thebigshotsblog.blogspot.com for song breakdowns
    www.marczero.com (link to billboard.com article/tracks I produced)

hells yes brohams!!! adastra, my collab project, just got signed to 'dangerbox recordings' for our remix of a friends song. we're getting opportunities to remix another upcoming release too - and hopefully we'll land some original stuff on the label as well.

thought i'd share

also DG - sorry about not having touched the stems you sent me. i did mean to start a project up but i just got so involved handling promotion for our newest tunes plus working on new original stuff, kind of side tracked me :X
    no prob dude. btw, shameless promotion here. i seriously need you guys to click and vote for me once a day through the 22nd so a miscer can perform at lolla!!

http://do312.com/remix/darkgrey
    hai bra