sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Protein powder in coffee?

I've recently got a Kuerig and have been experimenting. I decided to try making a mocha with 6oz. of coffee 2 oz. of skim milk and 1 scoop of Syntha-6 chocolate powder.

It tasted pretty good but I learned the shaker is not the place for mixing coffee and protein powder.

So, I started reading that adding protein can negate the effectiveness of the protein powder. At the same time, I read articles that stated there was no change in the value of it. What do ya'll think?

KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by sbilyeu75 View Post
    I've recently got a Kuerig and have been experimenting. I decided to try making a mocha with 6oz. of coffee 2 oz. of skim milk and 1 scoop of Syntha-6 chocolate powder.

It tasted pretty good but I learned the shaker is not the place for mixing coffee and protein powder.

So, I started reading that adding protein can negate the effectiveness of the protein powder. At the same time, I read articles that stated there was no change in the value of it. What do ya'll think?
    Oooh I loved using my Syntha-6 to make a cold mocha coffee drink - usually for my PWO shake. It' pretty much was like you said above but I put ice in it too. I put it all in the shaker without issues, did you have a problem?

I think you have a typo. Did you mean to say that adding protein powder to coffee negates the effectiveness of the powder? I think I read something like that too but I also think I read a bunch of other stuff saying that's not true. Count it just like a scoop of powder.
    -KimP

Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by sbilyeu75 View Post

I'm not sure about whether caffeine will negate the benefits of protein in the powder form, but I found an article that combines the two...

bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark54.htm

"This is a great substitute for your regular cup of coffee for those of you who need a little assistance waking up.

1 cup brewed coffee
    1/2 cup chocolate protein powder
    1/2 cup milk
    Mix together and enjoy. Or, alternatively, take cold coffee, add a few crushed ice cubes and drink as an iced coffee beverage."

If nothing else, a tasty vanilla whey protein would be a good powdered "creamer" lol.

I also found this after searching for whether heat destroys protein molecules or not:
    forum.bodybuilding.com/archive/index.php/t-613365.html

There's also this on wikipedia:

"Q: How does heat denature proteins?

A:It breaks the hydrogen bonds and hydrophobic interactions between different parts of the protein molecule. Proteins are composed of amino acid subunits linked together by peptide bonds—this is called a polypeptide and is also known as the primary structure of a protein. The primary structure interacts with itself (also known as folding) forming hydrogen bonds and hydrophobic interactions with different parts of the same molecule.
    Heat disrupts the hydrogen bonds and hydrophobic interactions leaving the protein to unfold when it is heated. Since heat is not strong enough to break the peptide bonds between the amino acid subunits, the primary structure remains intact. Once the protein is cooled again, the hydrogen bonds and hydrophobic interactions can reform since they are based on the makeup of the primary structure and it hasn't changed."

"Charlie Brown" in an archived article here on bodybuilding.com said:

"Heat breaks down peptide bonds, peptide bonds are what hold the amino acids together

Which is why the first step of protein breaking down is in your stomach. There's heat, plus your body releases an enzyme to break it down.

Heat won't kill your protein. It might degrade it slightly. I mean, you can cook a chicken and get the protein still can't you?"

sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    From what I read, it's the heat of the coffee that negates it. I did have a problem with the shaker. The pressure from the heat of the coffee, made it spew all over the place (that almost sounds dirty). But it dissolved beautifully.

I think I could've worded it better. I tend to think faster than I write or talk.

FitFighter94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitFighter94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitFighter94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitFighter94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitFighter94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitFighter94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitFighter94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitFighter94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitFighter94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitFighter94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitFighter94 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hmn! Interesting - I might try making myself an iced pro-coffee then

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think you're fine. I've been mixing my protein powder in with hot water for 3 years (I just prefer it that way). I take anywhere from 35g to 75g a day of protein powder, if the heat was screwing it up I think I would've noticed by now or would have problems gaining/recovering. If it was that big of a problem it would say somewhere on your protein container to avoid mixing with warm beverages.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You cook your meat, right?? Some protein powders are not very mixable when they are warmed up, which is the only prob I have had.

I like to freeze my leftover coffee in ice cube trays and use that to blend with protein powder and a little skim milk or water.....it makes a frappuchio kind of thing because its then thicker.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I make cold coffee shakes that are really good. In a single-serve blender I mix:
    8 oz of coffee (stick it in the fridge the night before)
    1 oz of milk
    1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
    1/2 cup of crushed ice
    1 splenda

I have no idea if the coffee negates the effects of the protein, though.

bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm guessing those studies were either referring to boiling water or maybe microwaving?

I mix mine with coffee--hot and iced.

rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000) rcswent is just really nice. (+1000)
    Using instant coffee with protein (and a dash of cocoa powder) works really well too. I drink that as my breakfast on my way to work. I let it sit overnight to make sure everything dissolves nicely.
    Coached by one of the best ~ off season and contest prep!http://www.prepbyalex.com

toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000)
    I let coffee cool, then mix in blender with choc protein powder, a banana, ice and some unsweetened almond milk. Better than anything you can get at Starbucks.
    Goal: Peace, love & happiness...and arms that go bump in the night.

“It's never been true, not anywhere at any time, that the value of a soul, of a human spirit, is dependent on a number on a scale" G. Roth

JCF004 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do 2 scoops of chocolate protein, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 1/2 teaspoons of instant coffee, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of cinnamon powder then add 2 cups of hot water tastes like a Starbucks drink!!!

BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Heat denatures the protein, essentially breaking it down from it's most complete structure. But it has to get denatured to be metabolized anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Protein coffee FTW!

**I once was a fat little hippo... BubsNBean's journey back to healthy**
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170112133

Jmilll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Great for Morning Workouts

I have been cutting now for about 2 weeks and just recently discovered this. I think it's great in the morning for some protein and pre-workout energy.

Inkedoutzombie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Make sure the coffee is cool. Its the heat from the coffe that breaks apart the protein