Thread: Bcaa

Acquiring Spartan Status KAbjorn's Avatar
    KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Bcaa

What is the reasoning behind taking BCAA's before a weight lifting session as opposed to taking 50g of easily absorbed carbs to top off glycogen stores?

According to my Health and Physical Activity (Kines. Major TCU) the majority of energy spent while weight lifting is through Carbs, like 15% fat, and then right around 6-8% of the energy spent is from protein (BCAA's mostly)

I only take BCAA's before I go running as up to 15% of the energy from running comes from protein and to delay the massive amounts of cortisol released while running (Ran sixteen miles this morning, feelsgoodman.)

So what's the deal, why do I see so many guys in the weight room slamming down BCAA's that they don't really need, or am I missing something?
    "Till taught by pain, men know not water's worth." - Lord Byron.

tgabe213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tgabe213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tgabe213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tgabe213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tgabe213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tgabe213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tgabe213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tgabe213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tgabe213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tgabe213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tgabe213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What time of day are you training? As far as fasted training goes, taking BCAA's prior will help prevent additional muscle break down.

http://www.leangains.com/2009/12/fas...le-growth.html
    1.01.11 - 264.6
    6.07.11 - 242.1

MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Most people are just wasting their money. If you're well-fed, adding a BCAA supplement won't do much at all except be used up as fuel during a workout.
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله

Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I find bcaa's to be a waste of money, IMO. I'd say if your cutting those last pounds off and can't get sufficient protein with the calories available, then bcaa's might have their place.

KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by tgabe213 View Post
    What time of day are you training? As far as fasted training goes, taking BCAA's prior will help prevent additional muscle break down.

http://www.leangains.com/2009/12/fas...le-growth.html
    I run in the morning (That's when I take BCAA's) and then lift in the afternoon. Even in a fasted state your glycogen stores haven't been depleted, (due to the fact that everyday movement is an aerobic fat burning process) why take BCAA's while lifting?

Like I stated earlier only 6-8% of all energy expenditure while lifting comes from protein. It seems redundant to supplement with BCAA's rather then just taking a powerbel gel.

Originally Posted by MakeABanana View Post
    Most people are just wasting their money. If you're well-fed, adding a BCAA supplement won't do much at all except be used up as fuel during a workout.
    That's what I was thinking, and it's not an efficient fuel source either, carbs would be a much better choice in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Christiffer View Post
    I find bcaa's to be a waste of money, IMO. I'd say if your cutting those last pounds off and can't get sufficient protein with the calories available, then bcaa's might have their place.
    I could see them having their place in that regard, however I weigh a solid 215lbs right now I eat on average 190-210g protein a day, that's right around 800 kcal from protein, which I think could easily fit into somebody of my sizes caloric range for the day.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm confused why you asked when you clearly know they aren't needed lol
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    I'm confused why you asked when you clearly know they aren't needed lol
    I'm asking to make sure that I'm not missing something.

And/or to make people more knowledgeable about BCAA's.