Dylanscm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bromelain is a protein digesting enzyme

Bromelain is a digestive enzyme found in pineapples. I found out it helps and speeds up the digestion of protein.

With all of the high protein bodybuilding diets, it seems like this could be helpful to help your body break it all down. Especially if you're just starting and you're having problems with all of the new amounts of protein you're getting.

Since it supposedly speeds up the process, pineapples would be a pretty good ingredient to post workout nutrition, because everyones always talking about digesting protein as fast as possible after a workout. Whey mixed with pinneaples seems like it would work pretty good. Pluss the carbohydrates in the sugar will help you get your energy back and your muscles to repair faster.

I just thought this was interesting. I think bromelain is in other fruits. I'm going to start getting it into my diet, but I haven't done it a lot before so I can't say I've gotten results, yet. I was just sharing that for people who might not know and would be interested in trying it out as well.

joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Well, it has bro in it, so I'm sold.

Jager Bomb is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jager Bomb is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jager Bomb is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jager Bomb is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jager Bomb is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jager Bomb is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jager Bomb is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jager Bomb is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jager Bomb is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jager Bomb is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jager Bomb is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Dylanscm View Post
    Bromelain is a digestive enzyme found in pineapples. I found out it helps and speeds up the digestion of protein.
    Cool stuff but do you have any studies regarding this?

Originally Posted by joelash302 View Post
    Lol, nice.

W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000)
    lmao

Pineapple destroys my tongue, it really hurts after a few slices, idk why.
    Brazilian Crew |<o>|
    IIFYM Crew
    Username is an Acronym Crew

What's Important Now?

TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You should also be aware that papaya contains an enzyme called papain. Both bromelain and papain help to digest proteins. Also, both of these enzymes are anti-inflammatory which helps to repair muscles.

Kiwi contains an enzyme called protease. This one helps to break down amino acids.

Mangos contain an enzyme called lactase, which is a general digestive aid.

Bananas and clover honey contain an enzyme called amylase. This enzyme assists in converting carbohydrate into glucose.

All of these enzymes are found most prominently in whole, raw food. Frozen fruit and canned fruit may contain some of these enzymes but it isn't nearly in the quantity that the raw fresh fruit contains. Every week I go through 3 whole mangos, 7 bananas, a whole pineapple, a whole papaya, and 5 kiwis.

Like I said I just recently stumbled
    on this. I was searching the Internet for digestion health foods, because I've recently switched to a high protein diet and my body isn't really used to it, and I came across pineapples then read more and found out about it's protein digesting capabilities so I thought I would share it with bodybuilding people here and they could look into it more if they wanted to. a lot of things I've read on it suggest in helps in athletics in general like these boxers tooke bromelain and their bruises healed faster than the other group who didn't in one study. It seems to help with things like muscles soreness and things like that maybe not necessarily making your muscles bigger but helps them get bigger

Nice, TBU720

joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TBU720 View Post
    You should also be aware that papaya contains an enzyme called papain. Both bromelain and papain help to digest proteins. Also, both of these enzymes are anti-inflammatory which helps to repair muscles.

Kiwi contains an enzyme called protease. This one helps to break down amino acids.

Mangos contain an enzyme called lactase, which is a general digestive aid.

Bananas and clover honey contain an enzyme called amylase. This enzyme assists in converting carbohydrate into glucose.

All of these enzymes are found most prominently in whole, raw food. Frozen fruit and canned fruit may contain some of these enzymes but it isn't nearly in the quantity that the raw fresh fruit contains. Every week I go through 3 whole mangos, 7 bananas, a whole pineapple, a whole papaya, and 5 kiwis.

Alright so here's something I hear back and forth. Living in MN, I would assume frozen > fresh since transport time for fresh food would be more "destructive" to enzymes compared to a flash freeze. Yes/No?

TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Alright so here's something I hear back and forth. Living in MN, I would assume frozen > fresh since transport time for fresh food would be more "destructive" to enzymes compared to a flash freeze. Yes/No?
    No. For things such as vitamins and minerals, flash freezing is going to be better. I have seen plenty of stuff saying that frozen broccoli, for example, retains more of its vitamin C for a longer time when it gets immediately frozen. But, when we are talking about enzymes, these basically need to be kept "alive" in the food. Any sort of canning or freezing destroys many of these live enzymes, to my knowledge.

the Hsp70 of BB.com TheWaffleIron's Avatar
    TheWaffleIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheWaffleIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheWaffleIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheWaffleIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheWaffleIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheWaffleIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheWaffleIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheWaffleIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheWaffleIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheWaffleIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheWaffleIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The bioavailability of the vast majority of ingested enzymes is negligible.

With all of the high protein bodybuilding diets, it seems like this could be helpful to help your body break it all down. Especially if you're just starting and you're having problems with all of the new amounts of protein you're getting.
    I can assure you that your body (specifically, the stomach and intestine) is fully capable of breaking down protein, with or without bromelain.

Since it supposedly speeds up the process, pineapples would be a pretty good ingredient to post workout nutrition, because everyones always talking about digesting protein as fast as possible after a workout. Whey mixed with pinneaples seems like it would work pretty good. Pluss the carbohydrates in the sugar will help you get your energy back and your muscles to repair faster.
    Even if the optimal function of bromelain is at an extremely low pH (as would be found in the stomach), I would not necessarily contend that the rate of digestion of protein would markedly increase; there are numerous enzymes, specific to the stomach, that facilitate protein digestion.

That said, unless you're training fasted to complete glycogen depletion (continuous endurance training over an extended period of hours), "fast-digesting" protein is not necessary.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have not studied papain or bromelain, specifically.

Do you have any scientific literature that I could read? I'm not particularly well-versed in these two enzymes.

Proteases are a class of enzymes that digest proteins. There is considerable variation amongst them, with regards to their functions.

We have the same preferences in fruit.
    Nutrition and Supp Science FAQ:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139153843&p=849049173&viewfull=1#post849049173

Originally Posted by TheWaffleIron View Post
    Do you have any scientific literature that I could read? I'm not particularly well-versed in these two enzymes.
    No sorry. I'm just repeating what I've heard from Gregg Avedon. Maybe ask him.

Glutes... they are back Cumulonimbus's Avatar
    Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    LOLOL repped

fck, on spread.
    Just a weight lifter

MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Cumulonimbus View Post
    LOLOL repped

fck, on spread.
    I got him.
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

Getting big: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136802401

- Alan Aragon www.alanaragon.com

SaulHudson420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SaulHudson420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SaulHudson420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SaulHudson420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SaulHudson420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SaulHudson420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SaulHudson420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SaulHudson420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SaulHudson420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SaulHudson420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SaulHudson420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    hahahaha
    I knew a man once who said, "Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back."

SaulHudson420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SaulHudson420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SaulHudson420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SaulHudson420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SaulHudson420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SaulHudson420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SaulHudson420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SaulHudson420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SaulHudson420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SaulHudson420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SaulHudson420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    No sorry. I'm just repeating what I've heard from Gregg Avedon. Maybe ask him.
    Franco Columbu also encourages eating pineapple for the same reason. As bodybuilders, we eat a lot of protein, but that doesn't mean our body can utilize all the extra protein we eat. I think it's a good idea. And hell, if Franco Columbu says it, it must be true! lol
    I knew a man once who said, "Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back."

♚ Elected V.P. - R/P ♚ sawoobley's Avatar
    sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by SaulHudson420 View Post
    Franco Columbu also encourages eating pineapple for the same reason. As bodybuilders, we eat a lot of protein, but that doesn't mean our body can utilize all the extra protein we eat. I think it's a good idea. And hell, if Franco Columbu says it, it must be true! lol
    I would like to see some references on the ability of pineapple to aid in the digestion of meat/protein. The optimal pH range for bromelain (the enzyme in pineapple that can assist in digesting meat) is 5.5-8.0 for enzymatic activities and the activity is short lived at a pH of 2. It is known to be stable within pH ranges of 3-9. The pH of the stomach is typically between 1-3 and tends to be more acidic during digestion of meals. Our body temperature is around 37 degrees Celsius and the optimal temperature range for bromelain to aid in digestion is 45-65°C. All of this suggests to me that it may not be that effective in helping normal, young, healthy people digest meat. In theory when someone gets older and they no longer produce as acidic stomach juices then maybe it will have some effect.

You can purchase bromelain in tablet form as a supplement. However, the tablets are coated so they are protected from the harsh environment of the stomach and are timed to be released in the small intestines where they can be most effective.

I would be interested to see any research you have suggesting that pineapple assists in digesting meat/protein. As I understand it most of the bromelain is contained in the core and stem of the fruit/pineapple.

SeaOfRed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

RAW enzymes

I have been using bromelain along with other digestive enzymes in a capsule form and been having great results. I use RAW because it has whole foods and I wouldnt be able to match the amount of enzymes I get from RAW with fresh fruit. I like the Ph argument from Dylanscm and how your stomach does not allow an optimum environment for bromelain digestion.