richiemokkiez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Ectomorph dilemma?

Hi everyone, new here, anyway straight to point.
    Im an ectomorph (obviously), I'm about 6ft2, current weight 72kg, Ive made progress from my bone skinny days and packed some meat. Still looking slim however. Heres my issue.

I have a general amount of fat as many do round my abdomen hiding my abs. From what I read, the advice for ectomorphs is that cardio should be limited to a minimum. Ive been eating a lot of protein mainly chicken breast and protein shakes, lesser carbs and more veggies. Splitting my meals into 5. I know theres no way to target fat loss at any area specifically so yea, any suggestions?

How do I pack on muscle while losing body fat? Thanks in advance all.

fr0gman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fr0gman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fr0gman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fr0gman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fr0gman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fr0gman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fr0gman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fr0gman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fr0gman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fr0gman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fr0gman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    there's really no way to pack on lots of muscle mass whilst remaining at low bodyfat, as an ectomorph i'm imagining you have no serious problem dropping fat, so here's what I'd suggest...
    - Diet down untill you're around 5-7% bodyfat, do this by gradually dropping out carbs a little bit at a time and regularly measuring your bodyfat %
    - when at this point bulk and keep track of your bodyfat %, if you exceed 8% bodyfat then diet back down to 5 or 6%.

By doing this you can add muscle mass without gaining alot of fat and keeping your 6 or 8 pack abs. Also remember when you bulk don't overdo it with calories (300-500 above maintinence) and eat clean if you can, dirty bulking only really gets you fat, and really isn't good for your body.
    Remember one thing at a time, don't try to do too mcuh at once, break it down into stages.

Originally Posted by fr0gman View Post
    there's really no way to pack on lots of muscle mass whilst remaining at low bodyfat, as an ectomorph i'm imagining you have no serious problem dropping fat, so here's what I'd suggest...
    - Diet down untill you're around 5-7% bodyfat, do this by gradually dropping out carbs a little bit at a time and regularly measuring your bodyfat %
    - when at this point bulk and keep track of your bodyfat %, if you exceed 8% bodyfat then diet back down to 5 or 6%.

By doing this you can add muscle mass without gaining alot of fat and keeping your 6 or 8 pack abs. Also remember when you bulk don't overdo it with calories (300-500 above maintinence) and eat clean if you can, dirty bulking only really gets you fat, and really isn't good for your body.
    Remember one thing at a time, don't try to do too mcuh at once, break it down into stages.
    Theres just this stubborn slab of flab over my abdominal section that seems to resist all my efforts. Im sure im doing something wrong here. Im also afraid I'd lose what hard earned muscle Ive already packed through dropping fat. Any advice on that? Also could you elaborate on the calories part you mentioned? Examples?

ifj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by fr0gman View Post
    here's what I'd suggest...
    Ignore this guy and don't be afraid to add body fat. Gaining muscle + fat then losing the fat later on is alot easier than trying to gain ONLY muscle.

My opinion is, if you're really an ectomorph, you should focus more on your nutrition. Keep in mind, we ectomorphs have a higher metabolism than the other two types (mesomorph & endomorph). Check around the nutrition section to see the amount of calories you should be taking in daily and more importantly HOW you're taking in your calories.

In addition to minding your nutrition, you need a good, organized workout plan.
    Last edited by ifj; 01-30-2011 at 07:51 AM.
    Choose your goal and know it. If you don't know where you're going, then you'll end up somewhere else

Originally Posted by ifj View Post
    Ignore this guy.
    Any suggestions then?

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by richiemokkiez View Post
    From what I read, the advice for ectomorphs is that cardio should be limited to a minimum.
    Not exactly. You just need to be above maintenance. If that requires no cardio, then so be it.

Ive been eating a lot of protein mainly chicken breast and protein shakes, lesser carbs and more veggies. Splitting my meals into 5.
    You're trying to gain but you're eating chicken breast, veggies and not many carbs? EAT A BUNCH OF REAL FOOD. The only thing you should try to avoid is processed foods.

How do I pack on muscle while losing body fat? Thanks in advance all.
    You can't. But you have no muscle, so you need to focus on that. If you try to loose your fat, you'll also loose the little bit of muscle that you currently have.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    Not exactly. You just need to be above maintenance. If that requires no cardio, then so be it.

You're trying to gain but you're eating chicken breast, veggies and not many carbs? EAT A BUNCH OF REAL FOOD. The only thing you should try to avoid is processed foods.

You can't. But you have no muscle, so you need to focus on that. If you try to loose your fat, you'll also loose the little bit of muscle that you currently have.

Thanks, gotten just about what I need to know. Basically, build up muscle mass first then focus on cutting the fat right? Could you explain the cardio part though? What do you mean by above maintenance. Im pretty lost on the terms here. Thanks again.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Could you explain the cardio part though? What do you mean by above maintenance.
    Above maintenance means eating enough calories to be gaining weight. Cardio will raise what your maintenance level of calories is, if you can eat that much, then fine, do some cardio if you must, but if you can't eat enough, don't do the cardio. Your goal is to gain muscle, that means you've got to gain weight.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

dberrong is just really nice. (+1000) dberrong is just really nice. (+1000) dberrong is just really nice. (+1000) dberrong is just really nice. (+1000) dberrong is just really nice. (+1000) dberrong is just really nice. (+1000) dberrong is just really nice. (+1000) dberrong is just really nice. (+1000) dberrong is just really nice. (+1000) dberrong is just really nice. (+1000) dberrong is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks, gotten just about what I need to know. Basically, build up muscle mass first then focus on cutting the fat right? Could you explain the cardio part though? What do you mean by above maintenance. Im pretty lost on the terms here. Thanks again.
    Everyone has a calorie intake for the day that would maintain your current body weight. There are calculators on this site to let you know what your specific calorie intake would be. That calorie intake is called your "maintenace". If you eat 300 to 500 calories above maintenance, you should, in theory, gain weight. If you eat 300 to 500 calories below maintenance, you should lose weight. Sooooo, if you are not eating the correct amount of calories, and the correct percentage of protein, fats, and carbs to make up those calories, then you can lift as hard as Arnold and never gain a pound. Gaining muscle and size STARTS with proper nutrition.
    CON-CRET/N.O. XPlode/BSN AminoX workout log/journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136191701

AI Sports TestPro Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136774361

CON-CRET ProMera Health Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134907571

SNS FocusXT and Agamatine Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134020461

I REP BACK Everytime!!

Originally Posted by dberrong View Post
    Everyone has a calorie intake for the day that would maintain your current body weight. There are calculators on this site to let you know what your specific calorie intake would be. That calorie intake is called your "maintenace". If you eat 300 to 500 calories above maintenance, you should, in theory, gain weight. If you eat 300 to 500 calories below maintenance, you should lose weight. Sooooo, if you are not eating the correct amount of calories, and the correct percentage of protein, fats, and carbs to make up those calories, then you can lift as hard as Arnold and never gain a pound. Gaining muscle and size STARTS with proper nutrition.
    I read somewhere that my protein intake a day should be twice the amount of my desired weight (176 currently). Could you guide me on the part pertaining to carbs and fats?

dberrong is just really nice. (+1000) dberrong is just really nice. (+1000) dberrong is just really nice. (+1000) dberrong is just really nice. (+1000) dberrong is just really nice. (+1000) dberrong is just really nice. (+1000) dberrong is just really nice. (+1000) dberrong is just really nice. (+1000) dberrong is just really nice. (+1000) dberrong is just really nice. (+1000) dberrong is just really nice. (+1000)
    I read somewhere that my protein intake a day should be twice the amount of my desired weight (176 currently). Could you guide me on the part pertaining to carbs and fats?
    No No. Your optimal protein intake for gaining muscle is AT LEAST 1g per body weight. Most say 1.5g to even 2g per pound of "current" body weight. You'll just drop the excess protein in the toilet if you go over that. I weighed 159 lbs 4 weeks ago. I ate around 200g of protein and 450g of carbs a day while killing it in the gym. I now weight 172 lbs. My maintenance was supposed to be around 2700 to 2800 a day and I'm consuming 3300 to 3500 a day. It works.

AI Sports TestPro Log:

I REP BACK Everytime!!

Originally Posted by dberrong View Post
    No No. Your optimal protein intake for gaining muscle is AT LEAST 1g per body weight. Most say 1.5g to even 2g per pound of "current" body weight. You'll just drop the excess protein in the toilet if you go over that. I weighed 159 lbs 4 weeks ago. I ate around 200g of protein and 450g of carbs a day while killing it in the gym. I now weight 172 lbs. My maintenance was supposed to be around 2700 to 2800 a day and I'm consuming 3300 to 3500 a day. It works.
    I found this formula online,

Goal weight x (workout hours per week + 9.5) = daily number of calories

goal weight = grams of protein
    half your goal weight = grams of fat

daily calories - [( protein grams x 4) + ( fat grams x 9)] / 4 = grams of carbs

What do you think?

I found this formula online,

Goal weight x (workout hours per week + 9.5) = daily number of calories

goal weight = grams of protein
    half your goal weight = grams of fat

daily calories - [( protein grams x 4) + ( fat grams x 9)] / 4 = grams of carbs

What do you think?
    You can start with that. For me, the daily number of calories came out to 2500 for the first formula which is way to low in my opinion. Find the calorie calculators on bb.com. The other formulas look ok. You can start here and then monitor your progress. Make changes form there. Everyone's body reacts differently so it will take some trial and error.

AI Sports TestPro Log:

I REP BACK Everytime!!