lightsarefallin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lightsarefallin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lightsarefallin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lightsarefallin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lightsarefallin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lightsarefallin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lightsarefallin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lightsarefallin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lightsarefallin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lightsarefallin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lightsarefallin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Cardio during a cut period

I'll be cutting for 10 weeks starting march 1st, looking to burn 10 pounds of fat. I heard that no cardio is needed in order to cut down fat, that it's purely diet based. However, my question is this: I've always done cardio when cutting, but found I lost a little too much muscle. If I do cardio, how much should I do, how often, and what intensity? Last time, I did 3x15 min a week, per recommendation of my trainer at the time, and it was interval treadmill, so 1 min walk, 3 min jogging, 1 min full sprint, repeat.

I'd appreciate the info. Also, my friend is a personal trainer and told me that BCAA's might help me keep on muscle during a cut, and that BCAA's will help me not lose muscle mass. I'd like to do it really well this time. Any info would be much appreciated.

I'm also planning on keeping my workout programs short and intense. So a 4 day split, 45-60 min musculation, sets of 4-12.

Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Both high and low intensity cardio can be very benifical to fat loss, its all about programing and moderation.

Generally low intensity should be done for longer periods of time, with higher intensity stuff in shorter periods of time. For low intensity stick with the easiest stuff that gets your heart rate up to a low-moderate level. So walking at 3mph on a tred mill, probably set at an incline will due.

Higher intensity such as sprints, jump rope, sled drags, etc should be done less frequently for shorter periods of time.

For the low intensity stuff, do it 5 or 6 days a week, perferably in the morning before eating. With walking start at 20 minutes and add 5 minutes every week. After 3 or 4 weeks, continue to walk 5 times a week in the morning but add one higher intensity cardio session to the week. On the following week either add a few more sprints (or whatever your doing) or add a second high intensity training session to the week. From there slowly ramp up speed/intensity for both training session.

The idea here is not to throw everything at the fat at once. Doing so will either lead to burn out or your body adjusting to everything quickly and as a result you lose little fat. Always start at the lower end of the spectrum.

Same goes for reducing calories. Only reduce a small number and slowly reduce more every week.

BCAA's may help to maintain muscle mass, but I find it more important for you to get you lean body weight in grams of protein per day (protein also contains BCAAs). If this requires you to add to many calories from your diet, than you are eating to many carbs - reduce them. Lean body weight requires you to have an idea of your body fat. If fat is 13% than multiply your bodyweight by .87. That will give you the grams of protein you need.

Besides protein powders, canned tuna and chicken contain tons of protein with zero or few carbs, and very little fat. If you need more calories go with the unprocessed foods.

lightsarefallin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lightsarefallin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lightsarefallin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lightsarefallin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lightsarefallin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lightsarefallin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lightsarefallin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lightsarefallin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lightsarefallin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lightsarefallin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lightsarefallin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks a lot for the informative reply I really appreciate it. I don't have much of a problem with protein intake. I'll make sure to check that VERY carefully when I start cutting. I was thinking of doing what you said too, dropping cals slowly and surely instead of going from like 3500 to 2500 overnight. I'm thinking maybe 3000 which is my maintenance for a week, down to 2800, see how much weight I'm losing, down to 2600...

As for the cardio, I train at the gym 4x a week. What if I did some bike, keeping my heart rate at 130bpm, for around 25 minutes? I don't see myself jogging in the morning. It's something I would absolutely love to do with march being spring time and all, but my daily schedules are a little too eradic.

Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by lightsarefallin View Post
    Thanks a lot for the informative reply I really appreciate it. I don't have much of a problem with protein intake. I'll make sure to check that VERY carefully when I start cutting. I was thinking of doing what you said too, dropping cals slowly and surely instead of going from like 3500 to 2500 overnight. I'm thinking maybe 3000 which is my maintenance for a week, down to 2800, see how much weight I'm losing, down to 2600...

As for the cardio, I train at the gym 4x a week. What if I did some bike, keeping my heart rate at 130bpm, for around 25 minutes? I don't see myself jogging in the morning. It's something I would absolutely love to do with march being spring time and all, but my daily schedules are a little too eradic.
    Biking will be fine. For the low intensity, keep it "walking" easy. If you do it for higher intensity..... well... you know.

Yes I will keep it at 60% intensity around, in that "fat burning" zone.