msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000)

Need ideas for rotator cuff rehab and str building exercises

Every other month or so I manage to futz up my left shoulder just a little bit more. It quiets down and the pain goes away, but inevitably comes back. I recently (ie yesterday) made the mistake of pressing on with a heavy chest/shoulder/tricep day yesterday after tweaking something doing routine sets of pullups the day before. On top of crickitty snap-crackle-pops with circular shoulder stretching exercises (from within the capsule itself) - I'm pretty sure that the most recent damage was excessive wear/strain on my little SITS rotator cuff muscles. Nothing tore, but damn if it doesn't hurt like a b^tch today.

I know the supraspinatus is involved ... pain gets worse lifting the arm beyond 90, and I have a feeling the teres minor is involved (what a managed to screw up with on my pullups) ... I'm unsure about the other 2. The problem always gets worse as I trailblaze into new territory in terms of weight lifted on the flat bench and weight dipped with routine exercise. The first time it flared was ago when I cracked into the low 200s on the flat bench. I've managed to perfect my benching/dipping form, which has helped things a lot, but I still end up having to take time off every couple of months to wait for these to recover.

So for you guys who bench/dip heavy relative to your frame, are there any specific rotator cuff exercises you do to help strengthen these?
    What do you find the best?
    Do any of you have any special stretching techniques (other than the stock ones any can google)?
    I added fish oil a few months ago which also helped, toying with the idea of adding glucosamine/chon ... any other supplements others have tried and found successful?

Basically I'm trying to find some other people have have experienced this problem and pick their brains on what they've found helpful.

Thanks in advance guys ... will +rep useful replies.

neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I was coming on here to post a similar thread, but you've nailed the explanation for me.

Sub'd.

gregripped has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gregripped has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gregripped has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gregripped has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gregripped has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gregripped has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gregripped has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gregripped has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gregripped has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gregripped has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gregripped has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by msm00b View Post
    Every other month or so I manage to futz up my left shoulder just a little bit more. It quiets down and the pain goes away, but inevitably comes back. I recently (ie yesterday) made the mistake of pressing on with a heavy chest/shoulder/tricep day yesterday after tweaking something doing routine sets of pullups the day before. On top of crickitty snap-crackle-pops with circular shoulder stretching exercises (from within the capsule itself) - I'm pretty sure that the most recent damage was excessive wear/strain on my little SITS rotator cuff muscles. Nothing tore, but damn if it doesn't hurt like a b^tch today.

I know the supraspinatus is involved ... pain gets worse lifting the arm beyond 90, and I have a feeling the teres minor is involved (what a managed to screw up with on my pullups) ... I'm unsure about the other 2. The problem always gets worse as I trailblaze into new territory in terms of weight lifted on the flat bench and weight dipped with routine exercise. The first time it flared was ago when I cracked into the low 200s on the flat bench. I've managed to perfect my benching/dipping form, which has helped things a lot, but I still end up having to take time off every couple of months to wait for these to recover.

So for you guys who bench/dip heavy relative to your frame, are there any specific rotator cuff exercises you do to help strengthen these?
    What do you find the best?
    Do any of you have any special stretching techniques (other than the stock ones any can google)?
    I added fish oil a few months ago which also helped, toying with the idea of adding glucosamine/chon ... any other supplements others have tried and found successful?

Basically I'm trying to find some other people have have experienced this problem and pick their brains on what they've found helpful.

Thanks in advance guys ... will +rep useful replies.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game..

BoulderJD10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had a similar problem a few years ago. I tore my bicep head tendon, and it hurt like hell in my rotator cuff because I tried overcompensating in my different lifts. I usually reinjured myself during any of the three bench exercises and of course should press.

A few months ago, I changed my lifting form (not evidenced in the picture I have posted). I shortened the movement in all of my presses so that I stopped the lift on both parts of the movement before it started incorporating my shoulders. I thought the limited range of motion would decrease the likelihood of my chest growing, but it had the opposite effect. Not only am I stronger, but I started seeing better growth (again, not evidenced in the picture).

At the same time, I also started performing very light weight (btw 5-7lbs) isolated shoulder exercises. For me, the best exercises were simple front raises and upright rows. I've not had a problem with re-injuring my shoulders since or tearing my bicep head tendon. Maybe it will work for you also.

Pikachew is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pikachew is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pikachew is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pikachew is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pikachew is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pikachew is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pikachew is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pikachew is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pikachew is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pikachew is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pikachew is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No one seems to understand how terrible an RC injury is until they've actually experienced this. Like you, every month, I come across some shoulder-related injury that doesn't necessarily prevent me from doing shoulder excercises, but affects chest exercises -- benchpress and dips.

I think the exercise that has helped me the most is the cuban rotation. I'm doing it with an EZ bar for high reps and my shoulder hasn't been acting up. In addition to the cuban rotation, I do internal/external rotations. I do all of these exercises before my chest workout and at the end of my shoulder day.

Are you still going past 90 for your chest? I had to stop. It just wasn't worth feeling the burn in my chest, knowing I'd spend the next week or so with a huge pain in my shoulder.

KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Pikachew View Post
    I think the exercise that has helped me the most is the cuban rotation. I'm doing it with an EZ bar for high reps and my shoulder hasn't been acting up. In addition to the cuban rotation, I do internal/external rotations. I do all of these exercises before my chest workout and at the end of my shoulder day.
    I agree. Cuban presses are amazing. What works for me as well is just keeping my arms fully extended and just moving the bar over my head without any momentum.[/quote]

Are you still going past 90 for your chest? I had to stop. It just wasn't worth feeling the burn in my chest, knowing I'd spend the next week or so with a huge pain in my shoulder.
    Learn to bench right and you won't have shoulder pain. I have a weak RC and benching never exacerbates it. Pull your shoulders blade and arch.

Real World Boxing Advice djartek's Avatar
    djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Enjoy

Youtube.com/PalacBoxing
    I'll answer your boxing and combat questions. Just PM me
    "Patience, persistence, determination, and an unstoppable drive to be better than yesterday."