cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Is pushups everyday good?

Will doing pushups everyday help increase my bench press and arm strength? I want to catch up to my lifting group and they started a month ahead of me. I did like 20 pushups on sunday and on tuesday when i worked out my bench had increased and chained pushups were easier. So should i continue to do this everyday along with my normal weight lifting program? I was thinking maybe 50 pushups a day. I can do about ten at a time right now.

TrappSki is just really nice. (+1000) TrappSki is just really nice. (+1000) TrappSki is just really nice. (+1000) TrappSki is just really nice. (+1000) TrappSki is just really nice. (+1000) TrappSki is just really nice. (+1000) TrappSki is just really nice. (+1000) TrappSki is just really nice. (+1000) TrappSki is just really nice. (+1000) TrappSki is just really nice. (+1000) TrappSki is just really nice. (+1000)
    They really wont help you with your bench. Sorry. Alot of folks here dont advocate pushups, but I do. Especially at your age. I do them every morning, 5 days a week. Your bench numbers will increase with time, hang in there.

SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Push ups won't increase your bench, but eating copious amounts of food will.

daddysonn will become famous soon enough. (+50) daddysonn will become famous soon enough. (+50) daddysonn will become famous soon enough. (+50) daddysonn will become famous soon enough. (+50) daddysonn will become famous soon enough. (+50) daddysonn will become famous soon enough. (+50) daddysonn will become famous soon enough. (+50) daddysonn will become famous soon enough. (+50) daddysonn will become famous soon enough. (+50) daddysonn will become famous soon enough. (+50) daddysonn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by cowzers View Post
    Will doing pushups everyday help increase my bench press and arm strength? I want to catch up to my lifting group and they started a month ahead of me. I did like 20 pushups on sunday and on tuesday when i worked out my bench had increased and chained pushups were easier. So should i continue to do this everyday along with my normal weight lifting program? I was thinking maybe 50 pushups a day. I can do about ten at a time right now.
    Just stick to the program, youll put on gains. That one month can be made up by focus and making sure youre intaking your protein / a good calorie intake. Pushups wont really add to bench. Good luck!

RedPilgrim has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Make sure to get eight hours of sleep a night as well.

i take 8mins rest umad? mingzie's Avatar
    mingzie is a name known to all. (+5000) mingzie is a name known to all. (+5000) mingzie is a name known to all. (+5000) mingzie is a name known to all. (+5000) mingzie is a name known to all. (+5000) mingzie is a name known to all. (+5000) mingzie is a name known to all. (+5000) mingzie is a name known to all. (+5000) mingzie is a name known to all. (+5000) mingzie is a name known to all. (+5000) mingzie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    wouldnt weighted pushups help bench

motions are real similar, muscles worked are similar

idunno what u guys have against pushups, they're an awesome exercise to do on the side w/e

RedPilgrim has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Weighted pushups would help. The problem is that you can run the risk of not allocating enough time for the muscles worked to recover.

Best thing to do is if your lifting group is benching once a week then hit the bench twice a week. You just want to allow your body to completely recover and hitting the same muscles over and over again all within the span of a week isn't going to allow that process to be run completely.

Eat lots of whole, nutritious foods, get proper macro intake, and get adequate rest.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by SwagMorris View Post
    Both could help, though neither would be guaranteed to.

Originally Posted by TrappSki View Post
    They really wont help you with your bench. Sorry. Alot of folks here dont advocate pushups, but I do. Especially at your age. I do them every morning, 5 days a week. Your bench numbers will increase with time, hang in there.
    You guys are both making unsupported assertions, the guy did push ups and his bench increased. It could have helped with that. Obviously not as much as benching itself would. Just like a supinated pull up won't help a pronated pull up as much as doing pronated pull ups, yet it can help make improvements regardless since it uses the same muscles and is very similar in form.

Originally Posted by mingzie View Post
    wouldnt weighted pushups help bench

motions are real similar, muscles worked are similar

idunno what u guys have against pushups, they're an awesome exercise to do on the side w/e
    Agreed, they probably would help.

Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000) Tillday is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't bench, so I can't give first hand experience.
    Logically, if you still have strength to be gained - moreso than endurance - from pushups, or especially if your tris are a weakness in your bench they should help.
    If your bench is really high or pushups are relatively easy to the point where it's becoming more of a cardio routine you likely wouldn't see significant gains in your bench as you would simply benching heavy.

But really, it can't hurt unless tiring your muscles is impeding on your ability to bench. I do 5 sets of 20 as part of my routine since I lack real weights to do good chest workouts. I'm hoping to build up to planches
    Last edited by Tillday; 01-29-2011 at 06:00 PM.

christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I will try to apply some common sense despite limited to 2 years experience:
    Increasing your bench means to not only get stronger but also better your technique.
    While in THEORY push ups would help, if your benching leaves you with anything in reserve, bench some more.
    If not, push ups will only serve to sap your strength.
    There's only so much you can do to increase your bench strength and it should be done under the bar.
    Any side exercises you may need to do to improve certain benching weaknesses are a different story and have little to do with push ups.
    You can catch up to the rest of the group by being more focused with your work.

PS The gains you say you saw in the bench press by doing push ups are IMO irrelevant, you're just starting out, you'll see gains in your bench by doing rows so to speak.
    And we all can feel stronger week after week and pile up the weights until fatigue finally creeps in and we have to deload.
    If previous to a bad bench workout you so happened to have done push ups you'd be telling a different story.

zQt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zQt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zQt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zQt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zQt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zQt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zQt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zQt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zQt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zQt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zQt has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've seen a lot of big guys who couldn't do push ups at all.

But no it will not help with benching

Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by zQt View Post

A major part of doing pushups/pullups is practice. If you don't practice them, you won't be able to do many, no matter how strong you get with other lifts.

Registered User stackthousaunds's Avatar
    stackthousaunds has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    hell yea man stick to like 30 -40 a day sets of your max mine is 20

jimmygonzalez is not very well liked. (-100) jimmygonzalez is not very well liked. (-100) jimmygonzalez is not very well liked. (-100) jimmygonzalez is not very well liked. (-100) jimmygonzalez is not very well liked. (-100) jimmygonzalez is not very well liked. (-100) jimmygonzalez is not very well liked. (-100) jimmygonzalez is not very well liked. (-100) jimmygonzalez is not very well liked. (-100) jimmygonzalez is not very well liked. (-100) jimmygonzalez is not very well liked. (-100)
    My friend 5"7 140lb does 200 a day in sets, in every set he goes wide then regular to diamond width, n does the reverse of that as well, in 2 weeks he adde 40lbs to his flat bench, hes doing 205x3 now, but... hes a ***got he benches like 3-4x a week, very little legs n back, oh n lots of abs, i knw he so noob but still a m8, ima get up there in no time as soon am done cutting

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by zQt View Post
    Why not?

Originally Posted by christos_swc View Post
    While in THEORY push ups would help, if your benching leaves you with anything in reserve, bench some more. If not, push ups will only serve to sap your strength.
    While I agree so far that spending more energy on the bench is better, saying something like "will only sap strength" is far too dramatic. It will produce results in exchange for the energy, just not as many or in as efficient a ratio as benching.

There's only so much you can do to increase your bench strength and it should be done under the bar. Any side exercises you may need to do to improve certain benching weaknesses are a different story and have little to do with push ups.
    Maybe training in the stable closed chain with some more scapular freedom could address some weaknesses?
    You can catch up to the rest of the group by being more focused with your work.

PS The gains you say you saw in the bench press by doing push ups are IMO irrelevant, you're just starting out, you'll see gains in your bench by doing rows so to speak.
    That's because rowing can address imbalances from by benching, just like overhead pressing and pushups can with the SA.

And we all can feel stronger week after week and pile up the weights until fatigue finally creeps in and we have to deload.
    Wouldn't doing pushups while not in a gym be piling more weight? Or are you saying in terms of max pressed rather than volume?

christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    Why not?

While I agree so far that spending more energy on the bench is better, saying something like "will only sap strength" is far too dramatic. It will produce results in exchange for the energy, just not as many or in as efficient a ratio as benching.
    OK, that's the point.
    Though push ups are a great body builder, and not sure how much they would help with benching, we can agree that since benching is his goal he should concentrate on that.

Maybe training in the stable closed chain with some more scapular freedom could address some weaknesses?
    Never read a good article about the fundamental differences of the two.
    It would have to be pretty scientific since they mobilize most of the body.
    I've seen myself that push ups will hit your serratus hard while bench presses will not get even close.
    My understanding is that push ups are far more natural to do and a better choice for fitness enthusiasts, however he wants to bench and so do most of us.
    I think it's far too early for him to worry about addressing weaknesses, he needs to find out which they are and, I would think those weaknesses would be addressed with specific work.

That's because rowing can address imbalances from by benching, just like overhead pressing and pushups can with the SA.
    In fact one of the worst common imbalances that would lead to shoulder injury.
    And a strong back goes a long way towards stabilizing the weight when benching, you can't bench right with a relaxed or weak back.
    But my point was different and I randomly mentioned rowing.

Wouldn't doing pushups while not in a gym be piling more weight? Or are you saying in terms of max pressed rather than volume?
    I'm saying that any inexperienced lifter and especially new trainees tend to get over excited by watching their strength build week in week out and think it's gonna be like that all the way.
    In this particular case he suggested that his previous push up workout had increased his bench press, I believe it's irrelevant at this stage, you hit the weights and you get stronger by the day as the body adjust super quick.
    Then things change and you have to think more about your training.
    He shouldn't expect that to continue.
    Unlike squats and deads, benching needs patience to see the weights go up.
    You can be just a tad more muscular and stronger next week and the week after that and fail to get close to your previous workouts due to countless reasons that are far more influential than a 0,5% increase in strength.
    If you have confidence in your program you keep at it and then one day you get to see your gains.

Colton1994 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Colton1994 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The only exception would be dont do them the day before chest. you want your triceps to be fully recovered when it comes to benching.
    No matter how good/bad your genetics are anything is possible!

1.eat healthy
    2.workout correctly
    3.know what your doing
    4.believe in yourself
    5.results will come

Don't blame your genetics, be happy your alive with those genetics and roll with it!

Your dream body is out there, keep workin' hard and results will follow....GOOD LUCK!

Registered User Weightgainfiend's Avatar
    Weightgainfiend has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Weightgainfiend has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Weightgainfiend has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Weightgainfiend has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Weightgainfiend has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    throughout my whole workout i usually do around 300 pushups. everyday

I snort protein powder Phayeser's Avatar
    Phayeser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phayeser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phayeser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phayeser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phayeser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phayeser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phayeser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phayeser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phayeser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phayeser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phayeser is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Weightgainfiend View Post
    throughout my whole workout i usually do around 300 pushups. everyday
    Is this a Tony horton endorsed workout?

punksatan17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I wasnt able to do one push up too wen i started working out....slowly slowly i increased by bench and then i tried, iwas able to squeeze out 15 per set everyday with4-5 sets

knicksfan20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knicksfan20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knicksfan20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knicksfan20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knicksfan20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knicksfan20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knicksfan20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knicksfan20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knicksfan20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by SwagMorris View Post
    Highly disagree. Increasing your pushup numbers and strength will most certainly help your bench press. It works out the same muscles.

Oh im just talking out of my ass? I was out of the weight room for 2 years. Did only body weight exercises for those 2 years. Came into the weight room and on my first max day (after 2 weeks of doing dumb bell presses only) was able to put up 245 2.5 times . I understand 245 isnt an extravagant number, but its a very respectable number for the weight i was at (180) and for being out of the weight room for 2 years.

I was also able to put up nearly 200 pushups in a row (not burner pushups).

I would recommend anybody interested in body building or weight lifting to first do body weight exercises before jumping right into the gym.

So maybe it wont help an experienced bodybuilder/weightlifter with their bench... But it will definitely help a beginner with them. Especially since the OP can only do 10 straight.
    Last edited by knicksfan20; 02-23-2014 at 09:50 AM.