ObscureDreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ObscureDreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ObscureDreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ObscureDreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ObscureDreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ObscureDreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ObscureDreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ObscureDreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ObscureDreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ObscureDreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ObscureDreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Quads hurt SO much! How do I make the pain stop!?

Hi Everyone!

I started getting my ass back to the gym and hired a new trainer.

Wednesday was my 1st day with the new trainer and he had me do 20 leg curls (on the machine - weight was set to 70-80lbs) followed by 30 squats. Rest 30 sec then repeat - we did this 3 times.

After the 1st 20 my quads felt like jello, but I pushed though. I felt like my legs would collapse when I was walking around the gym.

The next day there was definite soreness (expected), I'm usually sore the more the 2nd day after a workout, and yesterday was very painful. Going up and down stairs - ouch. I went to the gym yesterday and walked on the treadmill as warm up for 10min and it hurt at 1st but the pain subsided. I did an upperbody workout - mostly seated or laying down.

Last night my quads hurt SOOOO much when I was trying to sleep I simply couldn't. No matter what way I laid it was this deep pain in my muscle (quads), I finally fell asleep.

Today they STILL hurt - sitting here is making a deep pain and walking up or down stairs SUCKS! When I'm standing up it hurts the least.

I haven't worked out those muscle that hard in a long time and now I am paying for it!

How can I make the pain go away????
    Last edited by kimm4; 01-22-2011 at 03:46 PM.

LeoDeschenes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sounds funny...

but I use a rolling pin to roll out my quads, it really helps. If you have a significant other, it is fun for them to do it. My wife gets into it hearing me almost cry. It feels bad and good at the same time. And also lots of water.

KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yep been there. I kind of can't believe your trainer started you out on that the first time through though. It sounds like he didn't understand your capabilities very well. Make sure on your next session you communicate to him this pain you are in.

But the good news is that it'll get better. I've had it take 3-4 days before to heal up a muscle (usually my quads too) if I do heavy work and after I have no trained that muscle in a while. This usually happens to me when I switch up my exercises. Tomorrow you may still feel stiff but probably better. And the next time you tackle the workout your legs will be more "prepped" for a fast recovery.

My advice to you is to drink a TON of water and eat LOTS of protein to help recover faster. The more properly you fuel yourself the faster you will heal up. Also walk around some to get that blood flowing in those legs.
    -KimP

1yeartobig will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1yeartobig will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1yeartobig will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1yeartobig will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1yeartobig will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1yeartobig will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1yeartobig will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1yeartobig will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1yeartobig will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1yeartobig will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1yeartobig will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    try suck it up maybe a bath next time it wont hurt so much srs good luck with your goals

ObscureDreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ObscureDreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ObscureDreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ObscureDreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ObscureDreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ObscureDreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ObscureDreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ObscureDreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ObscureDreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ObscureDreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ObscureDreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by KimPossible98 View Post
    I kind of can't believe your trainer started you out on that the first time through though. It sounds like he didn't understand your capabilities very well. Make sure on your next session you communicate to him this pain you are in.

But the good news is that it'll get better. I've had it take 3-4 days before to heal up a muscle (usually my quads too) if I do heavy work and after I have no trained that muscle in a while. This usually happens to me when I switch up my exercises. Tomorrow you may still feel stiff but probably better. And the next time you tackle the workout your legs will be more "prepped" for a fast recovery.

My advice to you is to drink a TON of water and eat LOTS of protein to help recover faster. The more properly you fuel yourself the faster you will heal up. Also walk around some to get that blood flowing in those legs.
    I had been working out with my other trainer for about a year and she is the one that got him to take me on as a client. I DID tell him it hurt BUT also that it was fine, I could handle it (so it is my fault. lol) - When I lift , I always lift to maximum failure and it usually hurts, I just push past it - I've just never had it hurt THIS much!

Thanks for the advice on tons of water and lots of protein - I do drink a lot but, I haven't been drinking as much as I USE to, and protein in my diet has been slacking a bit - this could be why it hurts so much more! Time to clean the diet again!

I'm not as sore from my chest shoulder workout yesterday..yet....lol

KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000) KimPossible98 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ObscureDreamer View Post
    I had been working out with my other trainer for about a year and she is the one that got him to take me on as a client. I DID tell him it hurt BUT also that it was fine, I could handle it (so it is my fault. lol) - When I lift , I always lift to maximum failure and it usually hurts, I just push past it - I've just never had it hurt THIS much!

Thanks for the advice on tons of water and lots of protein - I do drink a lot but, I haven't been drinking as much as I USE to, and protein in my diet has been slacking a bit - this could be why it hurts so much more! Time to clean the diet again!

Yeah I always notice that when the protein is a bit short on my diet I tend to be more sore.
    -KimP

Originally Posted by KimPossible98 View Post
    I kind of can't believe your trainer started you out on that the first time through though. It sounds like he didn't understand your capabilities very well. Make sure on your next session you communicate to him this pain you are in.

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Motrin and a hot bath
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ObscureDreamer View Post
    Hi Everyone!

I started getting my ass back to the gym and hired a new trainer.

Wednesday was my 1st day with the new trainer and he had me do 20 leg curls (on the machine - weight was set to 70-80lbs) followed by 30 squats. Rest 30 sec then repeat - we did this 3 times.

After the 1st 20 my quads felt like jello, but I pushed though. I felt like my legs would collapse when I was walking around the gym.

The next day there was definite soreness (expected), I'm usually sore the more the 2nd day after a workout, and yesterday was very painful. Going up and down stairs - ouch. I went to the gym yesterday and walked on the treadmill as warm up for 10min and it hurt at 1st but the pain subsided. I did an upperbody workout - mostly seated or laying down.

Last night my quads hurt SOOOO much when I was trying to sleep I simply couldn't. No matter what way I laid it was this deep pain in my muscle (quads), I finally fell asleep.

Today they STILL hurt - sitting here is making a deep pain and walking up or down stairs SUCKS! When I'm standing up it hurts the least.

I haven't worked out those muscle that hard in a long time and now I am paying for it!

How can I make the pain go away????

Hot/cold showers (switch back from hot to cold every 30-60 seconds)
    Foam roller exercises & stretching
    Increase carbs
    Ibuprofen to bring down inflammation
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    Increase carbs
    Ahhh - this makes perfect sense!
    -KimP

FitFighter94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitFighter94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitFighter94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitFighter94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitFighter94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitFighter94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitFighter94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitFighter94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitFighter94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitFighter94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitFighter94 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I find it helpful to take the time to cool down and stretch after working out, I also take a magnesium supp. And + like the others said, make sure you drink enough water (:

OH! And ice. That should help too.
    Last edited by FitFighter94; 01-22-2011 at 07:53 PM.