Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    jcranford has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jcranford has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jcranford has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jcranford has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jcranford has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jcranford has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jcranford has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jcranford has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jcranford has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jcranford has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jcranford has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

True Occam's Protocol Experiment

Ok everyone, I know this is controversial but I am going to give this a try for exactly one month the way it is "supposed" to be done as laid out in the book 4 hour body. If we don't get incredible results I will switch to starting strength which has worked for me to some degree in the past. Let me assure everyone that I think Occam's Protocol is probably mostly BS but what is one month to try it out and see what happens? Here is my plan:

Step 1: Establish a baseline. Get body composition tested with a 9 sight caliper test. That way we have a starting point.

Step 2: Take and post pics of myself and the test results on the same day. This will happen the day before I actually start the workout and eating involved in the experiment (around Wednesday of next week).

Step 3: Do the workouts and eat like Rx'd in the book.

Step 4: Post body comp and pics weekly. Body comp is taken by the same person every time.

Step 5: Post workout, food, and supplement logs daily as lifestyle permits.

I know lot's of you think this is a waste of time but I haven't seen much online in the way of a detailed and correctly executed Occam's Protocol experiment. Plus, it's just a month right? If I don't get great results, and by great I mean adding close to 20lb's of lean mass, then we can end the debate about the author being totally full of ****E.

This is my first try at doing something like this and also my first attempt to keep a log on BB.com so please be positive and helpful with your criticism. I'm not trying to start another debate or say that Timothy Ferris is right or wrong, I just want to find out if there is any truth to his claims about rapid muscle gain.

This experiment is going to require a lot of time and money on my part so please reserve judgement until we get the final results.

jcranford has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jcranford has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jcranford has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jcranford has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jcranford has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jcranford has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jcranford has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jcranford has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jcranford has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jcranford has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jcranford has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

We have a start date!

I have a appointment for the body composition test this Tuesday. That means that I will be starting the experiment on Wednesday Jan 26th.

Starting Stats

Got my body composition checked today so we have a starting point. Here are my stats:

Weight: 174

Body Fat: 18%

Lean Mass: 143.2

I'll add pics later tonight. Tomorrow I'll start the workout and eating program. Just got all the supplements I ordered from Amazon and BB.com. Super excited!

Pics

This is me as of Tuesday Jan 25th, 2011
    Attached Images

1st Day

Here's the breakdown of what happened the first day:

8AM Breakfast
    5 organic whole eggs Protein 31 cal 462
    3 strips of bacon protein 9 cal 138
    shake- 12oz organic whole milk + 30g whey protein hydrosylate protein 40g 359cal

10AM Workout

Yates row: 155x7 did not finish 7th rep

Shoulder press 90x8 did not finish eighth rep

10:50AM
    8oz organic whole milk + 1 scoop syntha 6 approx 28g protein 346 cal

12PM Lunch
    8 oz roast lamb approx 60g protein cal 510
    ½ cup organic pinto beans approx 6g protein and 20g carbs 122 cal

5PM Dinner
    9oz rib eye steak 40g protein cal600
    some veggies and refried beans ?

9PM Shake
    12oz organic whole milk + 1 scoop platinum hydrowhey 40g protein 359 cal

Approx 254g protein
    Total calories 2896

Total Calories are actually a little higher because I have no idea how many calories were in the refried beans and veggies that accompanied the steak (mexican restaraunt).

My thoughts on the first day are that the workouts are way tougher than I thought. Really pushing to failure with slow reps is uncomfortable to say the least. The eating part wasn't that bad but I did have to push myself a little. I'm going to list supplements in the next post. I welcome any comments and suggestions.

Days 2 and supplements

Day 2

7 AM
    12oz milk 1 scoop platinum hydrowhey 40g protein 359 cal
    While on conference call

9AM

4:30PM
    After a much longer than expected meeting.

7PM
    Mexican restaurant
    8oz flank steak (approx) 56g protein 346 cal
    2 servings refried beans approx 1 cup 12g protein 210 cal

9:30PM Shake

Total for the day: 254g protien, 2506 calories

I fell short of the 20 calories per lb of lean mass today but am going to rectify that immediately by adding some almond butter to the shakes and eating larger portions starting day 3.

As for supplements I am trying to mimic a lot of what he did but there are some differences. I can't handle a lot of caffeine so I don't do no-explode at all. I am taking ALA and ChromeMate with every whole food meal as well as slo-niacin upon waking and before going to bed. I am also taking the fermented cod liver oil/butter oil combo plus a vitamin D3 supp upon waking and before bed. I'm rounding all this off with a multi vitamin every other day or so. Bear in mind that Timothy Ferris claims that he was able get miraculous gains without any supplements so this should not effect the overall outcome much anyway. I am just taking them because they are what he recommends and I'm hoping for the best.

Since I already missed a calorie target on day 2 I am willing to extend the timeline by a day or two for the purpose of giving it a fair chance even though I know that by day 12 we should already have a good idea if this is really working.

My promise is to not miss my calorie targets (20 cals per lb of lean body mass) anymore for the rest of the experiment.

vandal16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been following the "geek to freak" and "occam's protocol" program since january 10. Not to the letter, but using the principles. I'm up 8 lb, with BF% down 1% (using an Omron electronic BF analyzer, not necessarily the most accurate, but still..).

Seems like you're following it almost to the letter. I'm curious to see your results...

Originally Posted by vandal16 View Post
    I've been following the "geek to freak" and "occam's protocol" program since january 10. Not to the letter, but using the principles. I'm up 8 lb, with BF% down 1% (using an Omron electronic BF analyzer, not necessarily the most accurate, but still..).

Seems like you're following it almost to the letter. I'm curious to see your results...
    Thanks and welcome to the experiment. Congrat's on your gains. 8lbs in less than a month is awesome especially with a concurrent decrease in bf. I'm going to get body composition tested again on Tuesday and will post results same day.

vandal16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have had some trouble being able to go to failure on some of the lifts (squats for example) because I lift alone. I work out at an mma gym and there is not a safety bar and there is rarely anyone else lifting. How do you go to failure with your squats without getting crushed? I've been making up for it by doing 2 sets to near failure, not sure if this is the most effective solution...

Originally Posted by vandal16 View Post
    I have had some trouble being able to go to failure on some of the lifts (squats for example) because I lift alone. I work out at an mma gym and there is not a safety bar and there is rarely anyone else lifting. How do you go to failure with your squats without getting crushed? I've been making up for it by doing 2 sets to near failure, not sure if this is the most effective solution...
    The only way would be to dump the bar behind you. You got some balls if you can push it to complete failure on a squat with no safety bar. I would practice dumping a couple of times before attempting it, and have somebody watch you.

Day's 3,4,5 including workout B

OK, I have some explaining to do. It was a seriously crazy weekend and I have not had time to organize everything and post until now. I think I was able to stick to the protocol despite everything that was thrown my way. First off, I promised a friend that my wife and I would do some manikin modeling for his booth at the marathon expo here in Houston. We did that Friday and Saturday. Saturday night we had a friends birthday party/poker tournament that we knew would keep us up late. Sunday my wife made plans for us to eat at this new posh restaurant Peli Peli and then go see my favorite comedian Dave Attell at the Improv, tickets were purchased a week ago. All of this was planned in advance and I was ready for everything except when my boss emailed me Friday night and I quote "I need these two projects completed no later than Monday. Sorry to spoil your weekend.". Needless to say I was stressed because of the deadline and all the stuff we had planned in addition to keeping up the experiment. So of course, like any responsible adult I cancelled some of our weekend activities... ya right. I managed to get everything done except I had to move the workout B to Sunday instead of Saturday. Three days between workouts instead of two, shouldn't effect the experiment according to the book. Here's the breakdown:

Day 3

8AM Breakfast
    shake- 12oz organic whole milk + 30g whey protein hydrosylate protein 40g 359cal

2PM
    Chik-fil-a Sandwhich 30g protein 430 cal
    Was at a convention and could not get away

5PM

7:45PM
    Mexican restaurant

9:20PM
    2 tblsp sunbutter 200 cal

Total Cal 3136

Day 4

8AM Breakfast

2PM
    Chik-fil-a Sandwhich 30g protein 430 cal
    Did it again, conventions suck

5PM –12AM
    Friends Bday party and poker tournament catered by Carrabas.
    Three chicken breast (one every other hour or so)-90g protein total (they were small)
    Pasta with chicken and alfredo sauce
    Pizza
    Cake
    One tiny salad
    I don’t know what the macros are but I’m certain I got my calorie intake covered here. Oh, and I had some cookies…

12:30AM

Protein was over 200g for the day, calories I don’t know but I went out of my way to eat like a pig to the point of feeling sick the whole time. I’m sure it was over 3000 easily.

Day 5

10:30 AM
    shake- 12oz organic whole milk + 30g platinum hydrowhey protein 40g 359cal
    woke up late and had this as there were no eggs in the house to make breakfast.

12:30PM Mexican Restaurant
    Carne Guisada 6oz (approx) with 2 scrambled eggs 45g protein 840cal (Estimated for entire meal)
    Refried beans 2 servings
    1 serving grilled potatoes

Workout
    Incline Bench Press
    135 x 6 reps could not complete a 7th

Squats
    225 x 8 could not complete a ninth

sipped water with amino acid solution during and after workout

7PM Restaurant Peli Peli (highly recommended)
    14oz porkchop 113g protein 953 cal
    spinach
    mashed carrot with cous cous or something?
    Total side calories 250 cal (estimated)

8PM
    Improv comedy club to see Dave Attell (very funny)
    1 decaf coffee with Baileys and whip cream.
    200 Cal

10:30 PM
    two tablespoons of sunbutter 200 cal

Total protein 238g
    Total Calories 3161

As for Workout B I have to admit that I did not reach full failure on the squats. I came very close but I also came very close to passing out. I re racked the weight when I started feeling dizzy and was super wobbly with bad form at that point anyway. I'm going to have to be more disciplined next time.

ducbao1711 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

hello

Hey man, how are you feeling 5 days into the experiment? Have you notice any gain in size? I'm going to start the experiment in a few days too.

Originally Posted by ducbao1711 View Post
    Hey man, how are you feeling 5 days into the experiment? Have you notice any gain in size? I'm going to start the experiment in a few days too.
    I'm feeling a little sore from the last workout. I haven't seen any really noticeable gains yet but it's the end of the first week and I get my body composition checked today so we'll see. I'll post results as soon as I get them. Welcome to the experiment!

Day 6, and bodycomp results, I hope you are sitting down

Day 6

8:30AM

10AM

5PM
    Shake-12oz milk, 1 scoop syntha 6, 1 large banana, two tbls of sunbutter -36g protein 740 cal

6:30PM
    Restaurant Saltgrass Steakhouse
    Porterhouse Steak 22oz 146g protein 1940 cal hell yeah!
    1 baked sweet potatoe 162 cal

10:30PM

Day 7-Body composition results!

OK, so today was my body composition test via the 9 site pinch method that was used before. I went into the test not expecting too much. I don't feel much bigger... maybe a little fatter if anything. When I look in the mirror I don't see any big changes yet but I'm never a good judge of myself anyway.

Now for the results:

Total bodyweight: 180 previous 174

Lean Mass: 149 previous 143.2

Body Fat: 17% previous 18%

Needless to say, I'm a little shocked with the results. That's almost a 6 pound increase in lean mass. The BF going down to 17% is misleading because if you add 6 pounds of lean mass and your body fat remains constant then it will still be a lower percentage of the whole. Last week I was carrying around 31 pounds of fat and today I am still carrying around 31 pounds of fat but I added some lean mass so the percentage of fat to lean tissue is lower. I'm going to post pictures after my next body comp test. I would do it for this week but I want to wait until next week because if the results continue like this there will be a dramatic difference in only two weeks.

If you guys reading this are skeptical, let me be the first to say that so am I. Even with the results staring me in the face. This is way more than I expected but the experiment is not over so it is still not proven that I can keep making gains like this over the next three weeks. Love to hear from more people on this, especially if they have experienced anything similar.

ducbao1711 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Are you in shape before starting the experiment? Personally, if I haven't work out for a while I will put on a lot of mass in the first week. I think it is because your body will start storing more water or whatever. But this kinda of mass will go away when you stop working out. I guess we have to wait to see the result after the second week to know if it is really working.

fractacular has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey man, I am thinking about going on the same protocol and found your experiment here. I joined the site just so I could follow and comment on the thread. Keep up the great work, by all means, stay on track and know that your diligence is an inspiration and even more, by completing the experiment and logging everything rigorously you are really providing a superb evaluation of the protocol for others. I can't wait to see the 30 day results; I'm especially pleased you are doing the 9-site fat testing. Last time I did a bulking cycle I gained about 15 pounds, only to find that nearly all of it was fat. Whoops :-D

Originally Posted by ducbao1711 View Post
    Are you in shape before starting the experiment? Personally, if I haven't work out for a while I will put on a lot of mass in the first week. I think it is because your body will start storing more water or whatever. But this kinda of mass will go away when you stop working out. I guess we have to wait to see the result after the second week to know if it is really working.
    That's a good question, I guess it depends on what you mean by in shape. I have not been bodybuilding for some time but up until a week before the experiment I had been doing crossfit for over a year. I'm in better "shape" than I've been in in a long time as far as my work capacity is concerned but I wasn't building any new muscle.

Originally Posted by fractacular View Post
    Hey man, I am thinking about going on the same protocol and found your experiment here. I joined the site just so I could follow and comment on the thread. Keep up the great work, by all means, stay on track and know that your diligence is an inspiration and even more, by completing the experiment and logging everything rigorously you are really providing a superb evaluation of the protocol for others. I can't wait to see the 30 day results; I'm especially pleased you are doing the 9-site fat testing. Last time I did a bulking cycle I gained about 15 pounds, only to find that nearly all of it was fat. Whoops :-D
    Thank you! I'm glad to hear that others are benefiting from this. I really hope that it works now that people are watching. If it doesn't then at least we'll have learned something. At the end I'm thinking about getting one of those super accurate body comp test like water displacement or something so we can all see what the exact end result was.

fractacular has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jcranford View Post
    At the end I'm thinking about getting one of those super accurate body comp test like water displacement or something so we can all see what the exact end result was.
    It would certainly be worthwhile to get the water displacement test, just for your own personal edification and to compare with the caliper measurement on the same day. But since the different methods are notorious for producing different results, it might not be fair to include that in the evaluation of the protocol.
    Last edited by fractacular; 02-03-2011 at 02:02 AM.

Day 7 and 8 + workout A

Day's 7 and 8 went well, especially since now I have a glimmer of hope that this might actually be working. I worked out on Day 8 and it was much quicker and easier because I didn't have to find my 5 rep maxes before hand. I was to the gym (literally less than two minutes away by car) and back in 30 mins total. I even did the optional ab workout this time even though it's performed on a BOSU ball, which I think is gay. Normally you wouldn't catch me dead using a BOSU ball, Swiss ball, or any of that stuff you have to peek into the aerobics room to find. Hell I won't even use the neck pad for squats, but this time I fully embraced the gayness and even used a pink kettle bell to add weight. It was the most adorable thing you ever saw. Here's the breakdown:

Day 7

8:00AM

10:30
    Shake-12oz milk, 1 scoop syntha 6, 1 large banana, two tbls of sunbutter -36g protein 740 cal

3PM
    Made Timothy Ferris recipe from his book: mac & cheese, 1 can of Hormel chili with beans, and two cans tuna fish. 40g Protein cal 800 (approx)

7PM
    Same thing I had at 3PM. There was a lot of the macaroni/chili combo left over so I just added two more cans of tuna and scarfed it down. 40g cal 800 (approx)

10PM

Protein over 200g calories around 3299

Day 8

8:00AM

Workout A

Yates Row 165 x 9 (I guess I need to go up more next time)

Shoulder Press 100 x 7 (just right)

Myotatic Crunch 1 set of 10 with 5lb kettlebell (pink)

11:15AM
    Shake-12oz milk, 1 scoop syntha 6, 1 large banana, two tbls of sunbutter -36g protein 740
    Cal

2PM
    Mac & Chili (again) with 1 can of tuna (all I had left) 20g protein cal 750 (approx)

7PM
    One whole Organic Chicken that I slow cooked. (minus the one breast that my wife ate) and ½ can of pinto beans. This was a 3.5 pound chicken. I can't figure out how to find the total cals and protein for this one but I know that it's a lot.

10PM

Total protein and cals: not sure today but I'm pretty sure that it was enough.

Noticed that the little envelope next to my thread turned red so I guess this is a "hot" thread now. I hope you guy's are enjoying it and please let me know if there is anything I can add.

Day 9 or as I like to call it "Outback" sucks

Day 9

9AM
    Shake-12oz milk, 1 scoop syntha 6, 1 large banana, two tbls of sunbutter -36g protein 740
    Cal

11AM
    5 organic whole eggs 31g protein cal 462

5:30PM
    Outback Steakhouse (I hate this place)
    20oz T-bone with side of seasonal veggies and sweet potato
    121g protein 1709cal

The food quality is terrible here but they have website that helps you calculate your nutritional info which is cool.

10PM

237g Protein 3408 Calories

We have some pretty great restaurants here in Houston. Some of them are actually phenomenal. Usually, we go out for steak at a restaurant named "Saltgrass". It's not the classiest or the most expensive steakhouse in our area and it's definitely not the best, but you get a good steak for a decent price. My wife and I eat there probably once a week. For some reason she wanted to try Outback steakhouse this week because she wanted some variety. I usually go along with what she says plus I hadn't eaten at Outback since high school. I vaguely remembered them having good coconut shrimp.

Outback drops to it's knees and starts sucking before you even order an appetizer. They start by delivering to your table a dark brown, perfectly rectangular parcel that they call bread. It tastes like it's made from recycled notebook paper. In contrast Saltgrass has something they call Shiner Bock beer bread. It's made with Shiner Bock which is a beer produced here in Texas and both beer and beer bread taste amazing. When I'm dieting I have to request they not bring out the Shiner bread because I will be too tempted to have just "one bite" which subsequently ruins my diet because I can't stop at just one. Next we order. I have the 20oz t-bone and my wife has the grilled chicken breast. Nearly identical menu items can be found at Saltgrass and the descriptions are basically the same. However, Outback leaves out one important detail in their menu description. They fail to mention that in place of actually cooking and seasoning a piece of meat to bring out the flavors they have opted to simply cover it in salt and some other ingredient that I couldn't identify (Aussie crotch sweat?). It was a chore to finish a 20oz steak that has been so prepared. My wife kept apologizing and suggesting that we just go over to Saltgrass. Even her chicken was covered in salt and drier than the bread. For sides I ordered the mixed veggies and a sweet potato. They brought me what tasted like canned vegetables and a sweet potato the size of my right testicle which is the small one. Won't be going back to Outback ever again. I may have liked it in high school but I also liked taco bell and Coolio back then.

sorry for the rant

wakawakalj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakawakalj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakawakalj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakawakalj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakawakalj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakawakalj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakawakalj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakawakalj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakawakalj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakawakalj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakawakalj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's good to see that someone's actually giving this a serious shot. I'm in the middle of a keto cut right now (the modified palumbo diet he recommends in the "last mile" chapter in 4hb - loving it, seeing great results so far, 3.5 weeks in, going to run for a total of 8-12 weeks), but I'm planning on doing a two-month run of this occam's protocol when I'm done.

A couple of questions.
    1) Why did you chose 20lb of lean mass as your definition of great, when the book says that 10lb is a reasonable expectation?
    2) If it continues to be effective/you build good mass/etc, will you consider extending the timeframe you continue on this plan?
    3) Is the person doing the caliper test just doing a single check on each of the 9 points, or do they do a couple and then average them? (Not doubting your results at all, in fact I personally believe that this protocol *should* work as described, just looking for possible sources of error)

Thank you for the extremely detailed log, frankly I wouldn't have the patience to track, record, and type up all of that.

I will be watching this thread quite closely over the next little while to see how things progress. Keep up the good work.

Originally Posted by wakawakalj View Post
    It's good to see that someone's actually giving this a serious shot. I'm in the middle of a keto cut right now (the modified palumbo diet he recommends in the "last mile" chapter in 4hb - loving it, seeing great results so far, 3.5 weeks in, going to run for a total of 8-12 weeks), but I'm planning on doing a two-month run of this occam's protocol when I'm done.

A couple of questions.
    1) Why did you chose 20lb of lean mass as your definition of great, when the book says that 10lb is a reasonable expectation?
    2) If it continues to be effective/you build good mass/etc, will you consider extending the timeframe you continue on this plan?
    3) Is the person doing the caliper test just doing a single check on each of the 9 points, or do they do a couple and then average them? (Not doubting your results at all, in fact I personally believe that this protocol *should* work as described, just looking for possible sources of error)

Thank you for the extremely detailed log, frankly I wouldn't have the patience to track, record, and type up all of that.

I will be watching this thread quite closely over the next little while to see how things progress. Keep up the good work.

Hello wakawakalj and welcome to the experiment! I'm interested in the progress of your cut. How much have you lost total? After this is over I'm probably going to go through some sort of consolidation phase and finally a cutting phase. Let me answer your questions:

1. Tim Ferris claims to have gained 34 pounds in 28 days. That is a pretty bold statement especially since his "after" pictures in the book were questionable. To myself and most people they don't look like someone who has added 34 pounds of lean. Plus he tanned and the pics are not equal in scale. Now don't get me wrong, I want this to work but I am justifiably skeptical. I will be more than happy if I gain 10 pounds in 28 days but I'm aiming higher because his claims are so outrageous. If he can gain 34 with his admittedly poor genetics then I can gain 20. He also welcomes skepticism but challenges us to prove things to ourselves through self experimentation so I am in keeping with the spirit of the book.

2. Hell yes! I would consider going on for another month or two just to see what my potential is.

3. The lady who pinches me does not take an average of several pinches so there may be some weakness there. However, she does take two pinches of each site to make sure that there is not a wide difference between the two. When there is a difference she takes a couple more pinches to identify the out lier. I think this is a good enough method because if you pinch three times and get one bad pinch that's way off, it could potentially skew the average.

I'm glad you've joined the thread and please feel free to send me questions and suggestions anytime.

Next bodycomp test coming up this Tuesday so stay tuned.

wakawakalj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakawakalj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakawakalj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakawakalj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakawakalj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakawakalj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakawakalj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakawakalj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakawakalj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakawakalj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wakawakalj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So far I have gone from 161.6lb to 155.8lb in just under 4 weeks (I expect to be around 154 by the sunday, for a ~7-8lb/4wk loss). I don't do bf% calculations, but I am noticing a huge difference in the mirror, and I have gone down two full belt holes. I'm seeing muscle in places I've literally never seen it before. If I had to guess, I'd say that I've dropped a realistic 2-3% bf. I'm not losing any strength, either, so I don't think I'm losing much if any lbm.

I think it has been well established that the geek-to-freak results are non-typical, as he was most likely mostly regaining mass (say at least 90% of that 34lb) that had been previously lost. The pictures in the book (my copy at least) are scaled properly, and the difference is significant and obvious, but the ones on his website are not. I don't know if it looks like he gained 34lbs, but it sure looks like a lot. Regaining or not, that's still damn impressive, by pretty much any standard. Possible for you and I? Maybe if we lost ~25lb of lbm first...

I think the results shown by Neil Strauss on Occam's (though it would have been nice to see before/after pics, bf%'s, and a complete list of body measurements) are more indicative of real-world results, or maybe even a hair on the low side, for people with regular genetics looking to build *new* muscle mass. TBH, 10lbs is still amazing compared to what seems to be commonly accepted as possible/reasonable.

The important question in mind is - how long are these gains sustainable? One month? Two? Three? More? When do they slow down?

But really, if I can even stack an extra 10lb of lbm on my frame after my cut I will be doing a major lameass-white-boy happy dance.

Sounds like your professional pincher knows what she is doing, I was just worried that she might be the type to test each site once, and run with the first numbers. Even two tests on the same site drastically reduces your margin of error.

Day 10

Day 10

8:30AM

12PM
    Cal

5PM
    Dona Lydia Mexican Restaurant

9:30PM
    Entire dish of Lasagna approx 4 servings
    84g protein 1464 calories

The lasagna was a mistake. Not that it wasn't good, but it caused some serious gastric distress. My stomach felt bloated, gassy, and full all night long. I woke up this morning with a pain in my side that I can only guess is some sort of blockage and my wife did not appreciate my "death farts", her words. I needed the calories but because I was unprepared and didn't feel like cooking, I had to pick something up. Not going to make this mistake again.
    Last edited by jcranford; 02-05-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Originally Posted by wakawakalj View Post
    So far I have gone from 161.6lb to 155.8lb in just under 4 weeks (I expect to be around 154 by the sunday, for a ~7-8lb/4wk loss). I don't do bf% calculations, but I am noticing a huge difference in the mirror, and I have gone down two full belt holes. I'm seeing muscle in places I've literally never seen it before. If I had to guess, I'd say that I've dropped a realistic 2-3% bf. I'm not losing any strength, either, so I don't think I'm losing much if any lbm.

I think it has been well established that the geek-to-freak results are non-typical, as he was most likely mostly regaining mass (say at least 90% of that 34lb) that had been previously lost. The pictures in the book (my copy at least) are scaled properly, and the difference is significant and obvious, but the ones on his website are not. I don't know if it looks like he gained 34lbs, but it sure looks like a lot. Regaining or not, that's still damn impressive, by pretty much any standard. Possible for you and I? Maybe if we lost ~25lb of lbm first...

I think the results shown by Neil Strauss on Occam's (though it would have been nice to see before/after pics, bf%'s, and a complete list of body measurements) are more indicative of real-world results, or maybe even a hair on the low side, for people with regular genetics looking to build *new* muscle mass. TBH, 10lbs is still amazing compared to what seems to be commonly accepted as possible/reasonable.

The important question in mind is - how long are these gains sustainable? One month? Two? Three? More? When do they slow down?

But really, if I can even stack an extra 10lb of lbm on my frame after my cut I will be doing a major lameass-white-boy happy dance.

Sounds like your professional pincher knows what she is doing, I was just worried that she might be the type to test each site once, and run with the first numbers. Even two tests on the same site drastically reduces your margin of error.
    I like where your head is with regard to Occam's Protocol and I agree with you that the results Tim describes must be non-typical. The whole point of this experiment is to figure out what the real potential is. Granted it will be different for everyone. I can attest to the fact that I have not dehydrated and/or lost significant LBM prior to the experiment so we will at least find out what the potential is with a more realistic starting point.

With regard to Niel Strauss's before and after pics and measurements, agreed that it would have been nice for Tim to add those. It would have been nice for Tim to also mention and state clearly that he was regaining mostly lost muscle and water instead of making it seem like you can just gain 34lb's of muscle in 28 days just by following his program. Understandable that he did it to sell books, but still not cool. What is cool is his self experimentation and question everything approach to life so my opinion on Tim Ferris is not fully formed yet. We'll see how I feel after this experiment and maybe some others.

As I said before, I'll be super happy with 10lb LBM gain and will definitely continue the program for at least another month. If I put on 20lb's of LBM in two months I think I would be almost afraid to start a third month. If I put on more than 20 in one month then I will be the biggest Tim Ferris fan of all time. I'll have t-shirts made.

Originally Posted by jcranford View Post
    As I said before, I'll be super happy with 10lb LBM gain and will definitely continue the program for at least another month. If I put on 20lb's of LBM in two months I think I would be almost afraid to start a third month. If I put on more than 20 in one month then I will be the biggest Tim Ferris fan of all time. I'll have t-shirts made.
    I'm not gonna lie, I'm already a pretty big tim ferriss fan. I used his "slow carb" diet to drop almost 40 pounds in the first part of 2010. The modified palumbo diet is working very well for me, I'm more than satisfied with the results thus far, they're definitely out-stripping my expectations. If occam's protocol manages even 10lb lbm/month, and is repeatable for even 2-3 months, I'll buy a whole closet of those shirts.

Now that I think about it though, perhaps the 34lb isn't completely out of the realm of possibility - assuming the colorado experiment is valid. Didn't the author of the colorado experiment gain something like 20+lbs of lbm in a month on it?

Edit - he gained 15lbs in 22 days. Extrapolated out, that's 20lb/month. No information given out as to if he dropped lbm first.
    No matter what, I'm still gonna give this a shot when my cut's done.
    Last edited by wakawakalj; 02-05-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Day 11 and the dreaded Workout B

Day 11

10AM

Workout B

Incline Bench Press: 145 x 6.1

Squats: 225 x 9.1

50 kettle bell swings with 25lb KB. (that was the highest they had at my gym)

1PM
    Cal

2PM
    Jason’s Deli
    Large salad with 3 boiled eggs
    Half turkey sandwich

5:30PM
    9oz beef shoulder roast
    1 serving pinto beans

7PM
    1 pint of Ben and Jerry’s Half Baked ice cream

10PM

I tackled the squats a little better than last time and made it to actual failure. I don't know if I could have pushed more with a gun to my head but that is what I was aiming for.

Day 13 Superbowl Sunday

No I didn't measure everything I put in my mouth today. I made sure that I ate my usual breakfast and a typical lunch plus a couple of shakes. In the evening I pigged out and ate a bunch of garbage while watching the game. Forced down another shake before bed. I'm pretty sure I got all my calories and protein in for the day. Hope you guys don't mind me taking the day off from all the journaling. I needed a little break.

wingsflyby99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool just started 2 days in

intersting logs. I'm hoping to see similar results. I'm naturally a hard gainer at 6 foot, 200lbs @ 16% BF is the most I've EVER weighed. My goal is to stay sub 12% and over 200lbs from a 180 start. Since I have such a hard time gaining, my goal caloric intake is near 5000. So far, 3600 and 4000 respectively and I almost lost it at the gym on my first workout. The squats are bested on a smith machine. I can set the stops where I want and if form gets out of hand, add a couple 45s and just push as hard as you can about mid point for no longer than 7 seconds. You shouldn't be able to move the bar and it is a variation on the workouts I did about 3 years ago (when i hit my peak 200lbs) called a static lift. In fact you could cut down the 20 minute workout to 7 minutes if you just did static lifts. Downside is without a meter, you can't keep track of your progress. I might post a couple more times with my progress but for the most part, I don't even care if I gain some fat, I just want to break my plateau.
    Good luck everyone. Remember to eat clean, Lift hard, and...well you get the pic