Thread: calf raises

torontobluered is a name known to all. (+5000) torontobluered is a name known to all. (+5000) torontobluered is a name known to all. (+5000) torontobluered is a name known to all. (+5000) torontobluered is a name known to all. (+5000) torontobluered is a name known to all. (+5000) torontobluered is a name known to all. (+5000) torontobluered is a name known to all. (+5000) torontobluered is a name known to all. (+5000) torontobluered is a name known to all. (+5000) torontobluered is a name known to all. (+5000)

calf raises

Today at the gym I wandered toward the calf raise machine (been meaning to start working calves but haven't gotten around to it yet). It's a seated machine, but you still keep your legs straight (kind of like a leg press).

The machines instructions said "extend your legs to keep them straight, but do NOT lock or hyper-extend your knees". So basically have a slight bend at the knees. I tried that and it seemed kind of weird because every time I was tempted to push the weight with my quads/glutes by straightening my legs instead of only using the calves. It's kind of hard to just use the calves that way.

Why was this written on there? I thought you were supposed to lock the knees? if not, why not?

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    They just don't want you to let your knee joint push itself towards going backwards. You can keep your legs straight without "locking" them.
    Time To Re-Schedule

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by torontobluered View Post
    Today at the gym I wandered toward the calf raise machine (been meaning to start working calves but haven't gotten around to it yet). It's a seated machine, but you still keep your legs straight (kind of like a leg press).

The machines instructions said "extend your legs to keep them straight, but do NOT lock or hyper-extend your knees". So basically have a slight bend at the knees. I tried that and it seemed kind of weird because every time I was tempted to push the weight with my quads/glutes by straightening my legs instead of only using the calves. It's kind of hard to just use the calves that way.

Why was this written on there? I thought you were supposed to lock the knees? if not, why not?
    No, you never want to have your kees locked regardless of what exercise you're doing. It puts a lot of strain on the joint, increases the likelihood for hyperextension and compresses your lower back significantly.

terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    The trick is, and keep in mind that this may take some time to get the feel, is you almost want to relax your legs EXCEPT for the calf muscle. When you first start out trying to use one of these machines, which is new to you, your body's natural reaction, especially when pushing some real weight, is to want to tense up every muscle in your legs, lock your knees, and give it all you got. Try to fight your bodies natural reaction to do this. It goes a long way towards saving your knees.
    Last edited by terman1; 01-22-2011 at 07:01 AM.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You'll get used to it. I had the same problem when I started out. Just concentrate hard on pushing with your toes.

rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Right on, and also feel where your calf Muscle goes, right up into the back of the kneee area, and if locked out, it will and can actually cramp up realy bad.. I just perfer to use the leg press or standing dumbell raises, with no support, because there are actauly alot of differant muscles the work inconjunction with the calves, and they will get a workout as a whole, like the shine area for instance.. Look at my pics, and look at my shines, I dont work these, but because I do calf raises unassited, like sitting or a hand on the wall, it all gets worked out..

I cant use the seated calv machines, cause I can push 400+ with my calves, and it puts alot of pressure on my lower back, and would need to be buckled in it so i dont lift out of the seat,lol, seriously, even the leg press, I slide up the back of the seat,lol..

Get the heaviest dumbbells you can hold, and do standing raises, off a 3inch high platform, high volumn, make them puppies scream.. Thats the way to get calves to grow bro,

Great Luck to you

Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by rusrious View Post
    Right on, and also feel where your calf Muscle goes, right up into the back of the kneee area, and if locked out, it will and can actually cramp up realy bad.. I just perfer to use the leg press or standing dumbell raises, with no support, because there are actauly alot of differant muscles the work inconjunction with the calves, and they will get a workout as a whole, like the shine area for instance.. Look at my pics, and look at my shines, I dont work these, but because I do calf raises unassited, like sitting or a hand on the wall, it all gets worked out..

I cant use the seated calv machines, cause I can push 400+ with my calves, and it puts alot of pressure on my lower back, and would need to be buckled in it so i dont lift out of the seat,lol, seriously, even the leg press, I slide up the back of the seat,lol..

Get the heaviest dumbbells you can hold, and do standing raises, off a 3inch high platform, high volumn, make them puppies scream.. Thats the way to get calves to grow bro,

Great Luck to you
    curious, what kind of oil do you use on your "shines" brah?
    "I'm Mr. Beast, the big bad Fenris wolf, I'm The-End-of-the-World-Man, wearing the flesh of fallen angels!" - Jack Lupino

"after the 3rd set he vomited, after the 4th set, he vomited really, really hard, I did not have him perform a 5th set" - Keith Wassung

rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    lol, none

But im on keto, so i drink olive oil and coconut oil, fish oil all day, and cocobutter out of the shower.. Thats funny tho..

Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by rusrious View Post
    lol, none

But im on keto, so i drink olive oil and coconut oil, fish oil all day, and cocobutter out of the shower.. Thats funny tho..
    so are you're saying you shine from within? like you're inner shine is literally oozing out of your pores?

then again depending on the brand of cocoa butter you could be plenty shiny off of that alone. what brand you using?
    "I'm Mr. Beast, the big bad Fenris wolf, I'm The-End-of-the-World-Man, wearing the flesh of fallen angels!" - Jack Lupino

"after the 3rd set he vomited, after the 4th set, he vomited really, really hard, I did not have him perform a 5th set" - Keith Wassung

torontobluered is a name known to all. (+5000) torontobluered is a name known to all. (+5000) torontobluered is a name known to all. (+5000) torontobluered is a name known to all. (+5000) torontobluered is a name known to all. (+5000) torontobluered is a name known to all. (+5000) torontobluered is a name known to all. (+5000) torontobluered is a name known to all. (+5000) torontobluered is a name known to all. (+5000) torontobluered is a name known to all. (+5000) torontobluered is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by smokeater View Post
    No, you never want to have your kees locked regardless of what exercise you're doing. It puts a lot of strain on the joint, increases the likelihood for hyperextension and compresses your lower back significantly.
    what?? lol I'm finding this a little confusing. "locking" the knees means making your legs completely straight, right? You're not supposed to do that for exercises like squats and deads?? what about the "lock out" for deads??

thanks for the replies guys I passed reps around (though sine my i have 0 reps does that affect the ppl I rep? sorry i'm unfamiliar with the way this "rep/neg" system works)

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    what?? lol I'm finding this a little confusing. "locking" the knees means making your legs completely straight, right? You're not supposed to do that for exercises like squats and deads?? what about the "lock out" for deads??

thanks for the replies guys I passed reps around (though sine my i have 0 reps does that affect the ppl I rep? sorry i'm unfamiliar with the way this "rep/neg" system works)
    It shows as a little blue box and does absolutely nothing, except show appreciation.

And that's fine.
    Time To Re-Schedule

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)

You never want to keep your legs completely straight. This puts all the pressure on your back, which can lead to injury. You always want to have a slight bend in your knees, regardless of the exercise you do. When people refer to "locking out" with deadlifts, they commonly mean when you bring the weight to the top of the motion and your back is vertical. Even with this, you want a bend in your knees. It's not worth the risks by doing it otherwise.

You never want to keep your legs completely straight. This puts all the pressure on your back, which can lead to injury. You always want to have a slight bend in your knees, regardless of the exercise you do. When people refer to "locking out" with deadlifts, they commonly mean when you bring the weight to the top of the motion and your back is vertical. Even with this, you want a bend in your knees. It's not worth the risks by doing it otherwise.
    wow. i never realized this before. does the same go with squats? i figure it'd make squatting a little more difficult because if you're not making your legs completely straight then you can't really "rest" between reps. I'll make sure to always have a bit of a bend in my knees from now on; i wouldn't want to injure my back :P

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This is false. I've been locking out since I started training and I have no back or joint issues.