Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Importance of Tight Hole Spacing in Power Racks?

As I continue to research power racks, the hole spacing for safety rails keeps coming up.
    I ask myself "Is the difference between 1", 1.5" , & 2" especially through the bench region really that critical? I have little experience with power racks, but I know I want the spacing closer than 3". I'm just trying to figure how much closer. My workouts aren't too fancy--I'd be doing solo bench pressing, squats, rack pulls, overhead presses etc. Failure while benching is probably my biggest training concern as it relates to the spacing of the safeties. Any suggestions? Thanks

Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I would try to not go more than 2 inches on the hole spacing. The 1 inch spacing is nice but not necessary, it just gives you more versatility in finding the correct position for the spotters. You should be fine with 2 inch spacing like you said, the racks with closer hole spacing can get pricey.

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think it is an important consideration, and really close hole spacing is luxury, but I don't consider it a necessity. My rack has 4 inch hole spacing and paired with my current bench, fits me perfectly (for benching which is where I see the primary concern for hole spacing). I have used this rack with 4 different benches, and the hole spacing was really only an issue with one of the benches. Ironically, it was the bench that came with the rack. Even then, there were ways to work around the issue. You can add small pieces of wood, metal, or high density rubber to the bench to raise it to the desired height. This can be done under the feet or between the pad and the bench. Conversely, you can add the same materials to the bottom side of the rack to raise it. If you have square safeties, you can add wood or metal to the top of them. If you have round saber safeties, you can add a piece of pipe (like the elite racks). Another adjustment is to use a bar pad (restricts the range of motion slightly). Of course, one option alluded to earlier is to pair the rack with a bench where the combination fits you (often difficult to do unless you have access to a store that sells both items or at least a bench with of the same height).

Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dumb.bell View Post
    I think it is an important consideration, and really close hole spacing is luxury, but I don't consider it a necessity. My rack has 4 inch hole spacing and paired with my current bench, fits me perfectly (for benching which is where I see the primary concern for hole spacing). I have used this rack with 4 different benches, and the hole spacing was really only an issue with one of the benches. Ironically, it was the bench that came with the rack. Even then, there were ways to work around the issue. You can add small pieces of wood, metal, or high density rubber to the bench to raise it to the desired height. This can be done under the feet or between the pad and the bench. Conversely, you can add the same materials to the bottom side of the rack to raise it. If you have square safeties, you can add wood or metal to the top of them. If you have round saber safeties, you can add a piece of pipe (like the elite racks). Another adjustment is to use a bar pad (restricts the range of motion slightly). Of course, one option alluded to earlier is to pair the rack with a bench where the combination fits you (often difficult to do unless you have access to a store that sells both items or at least a bench with of the same height).

Excellent insight! thanks

jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i wish the holes on my rack were closer for benching because the safeties are just slightly higher than i would like. But it is not the end of the world because i can just raise the bench a little to make up for it. There will always be a work around, so its more of a convenience thing imo.

echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If they are far enough apart you could always drill a custom set of holes at your "Goldilocks" height.

BTW: on the main forums page, this thread shows up as "The Importance of Tight Hole..."

I guess that's what happens when you are right next door to MISC.

sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Question

Holes????? www.shermworks.com

notsostrong is just really nice. (+1000) notsostrong is just really nice. (+1000) notsostrong is just really nice. (+1000) notsostrong is just really nice. (+1000) notsostrong is just really nice. (+1000) notsostrong is just really nice. (+1000) notsostrong is just really nice. (+1000) notsostrong is just really nice. (+1000) notsostrong is just really nice. (+1000) notsostrong is just really nice. (+1000) notsostrong is just really nice. (+1000)
    1" hole spacing is nice for benching but it's not really a big deal. 2" hole spacing is just fine for squatting, benching, and deadifting. 3" hole spacing is alright for squatting & deadlifting but is a bit of a hassle for benching in the rack if you're a small guy

tombro will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombro will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombro will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombro will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombro will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombro will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombro will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombro will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombro will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombro will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    dude this guy sherm is awesome, if everyone spent this much time pumping their products we wouldnt be in a recession right now!

tombro will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombro will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombro will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombro will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombro will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombro will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombro will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombro will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombro will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombro will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    im not even ragging on the guy lol im probly his biggest fan, the dude more or less sells a top of the line smith machine for 100 bucks, everyone on this site should have one

as far as spacing goes, its a good thing to have but not essential unless ur a hardcoreeeeee powerlifter and u are worried about lifting off that 750lb squat and the hole spacing could mean an extra 50lbs to your squat or bench, anything short of that and ull be fine. my hammer strength rack has 3 inch hole spacing and me and my 2 training partners are hindered by it by about 5 percent tops. when we need that extra half inch, i went to home depot and got 2 rug samples, i throw them under the bench, 2 seconds boom problem solved, my 3 inch spacing just turned into 1.5....half of lifting at home is problem solving

nicelife2010 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nicelife2010 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nicelife2010 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nicelife2010 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nicelife2010 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nicelife2010 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nicelife2010 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nicelife2010 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nicelife2010 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nicelife2010 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nicelife2010 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by tombro View Post
    im not even ragging on the guy lol im probly his biggest fan, the dude more or less sells a top of the line smith machine for 100 bucks, everyone on this site should have one
    100 bucks is a good price for me.

well its not a real smith, what it is is ropes that u hang from a power rack, and clamps that latch onto the bar so in theory the bar is supposed to dangle from these ropes and when u begin a move, u simply squeeze on the bar, it releases the lock holding it and allows u to do the move, and when ur done, u let go of the bar and it catches, so its pretty much like having a 4 grand monolift when u stop and look at it, i love it, guy sherm is aces in my book. thing holds like 900lbs safely to boot, theres no downside to it