PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Critique my meal plan? too much carbs?

Hi guys, I'm currently on the NROLFW program and I have plans to cut. Basically this is what my workout day looks like:

Breakfast:
    Ezekiel Whole Grain Sprouted Cereal
    2 Tbsp. Ground Flaxseed
    Almond Milk
    Two Slices Wheat Bread w/ 2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Snacks/Pre-workout:
    Banana
    Whey Protein

Post Workout:
    Whey Protein

Lunch:
    3/4 Cup Brown Rice
    1-2 Cups of Veggies

Snacks:
    1 handful of Almonds

Dinner:
    200g of Beans

TOTAL CALS: 1721
    Carb/Fat/Protein: 242g/78g/120g - 55%/18%/27%

As you can see, it's a plant-based diet (except the whey protein).. and I'm trying to cut. I'm just figuring out if this is fine to do? I'm 5'6", 150 lbs (that makes maintenance cals around 1800-1900/day) and I'm wondering if I'm eating too much carbs - or eating too much at all.

I lift 3x a week, still in STage 1 of the NROLFW program.

Any suggestions/help/critiques appreciated! THank you!!

Twisterstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Twisterstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Twisterstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Twisterstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Twisterstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Twisterstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Twisterstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Twisterstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Twisterstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Twisterstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Twisterstar is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would say not enough protein. Try a different carb/protien ratio.
    How bad do you want it?
    How bad do you need it?
    Cause if you want it all
    You've got to lay it all out on the line

PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Twisterstar View Post
    I would say not enough protein. Try a different carb/protien ratio.
    Well I'm currently eating at 121g of protein.. I just lack about 30g to reach the supposed "goal" for 1g/bw - the issue I'm having is the carbs/fat ratio, since my ratio for protein is kind of okay at 27% if I follow the 40carb/30fat/30protein ratio.

At the same time, my sources of protein are also plants/beans/legumes which.. as we know, all contain carbs. so as protein goes up, so do my carbs. (the wheat bread, the whole grain cereal, beans, veggies, brown rice)

what I'm wondering though is if this will have any issue to my cutting (the amt. of carbs i take in).. or does the carbs/fat/protein not matter as long as im getting enough protein and my calories out > calories in?

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TheBlackSwan View Post
    . or does the carbs/fat/protein not matter as long as im getting enough protein and my calories out > calories in?
    ^^This is correct
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

Originally Posted by Rowyn View Post
    ^^This is correct
    Thank you!!

But does my diet have any impact on the NROLFW program as well? Or is it fine as long as I'm taking adequate protein?

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    How are you getting 120g protein in that?

Originally Posted by sonti View Post
    How are you getting 120g protein in that?
    oh, sorry!! I only got 104g of protein. there was something wrong with my spreadsheet.

but here's the breakdown..
    cereal - 8g
    milk - 1g
    flaxseed - 3g
    wheat bread - 8g
    peanut butter - 8g
    banana - 1.75g
    whey - 24g (x2)
    brown rice - 3.4g
    veggies - approx. 7g
    almonds - 6g
    beans - 10.3g

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You are a vegetarian (vegan? I see no dairy) right? I would up the protein a bit still... lentils and seitan are probably one of the best protein sources (lentils do have high carb too). Good luck Additional resource is veganbodybuilding.com try checking out nutrition journals

kipani6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kipani6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you!!

But does my diet have any impact on the NROLFW program as well? Or is it fine as long as I'm taking adequate protein?
    The book says the diet program is designed to go with the workouts & they can't really say what your results will be if you don't follow the nutrition. That said, I think it's a pretty basic nutrition program to follow.

Since you're still in stage 1, you may just have to do what is suggested..eat the cals you calculate with their formula, cut 200-300 from that if you really need to & just do the program for 4 weeks to see what happens and adjust from there.

You are a vegetarian (vegan? I see no dairy) right? I would up the protein a bit still... lentils and seitan are probably one of the best protein sources (lentils do have high carb too). Good luck Additional resource is veganbodybuilding.com try checking out nutrition journals
    Yup. That's my problem exactly, that all my sources or protein are also (and mostly) carbs. When protein goes up, my carb will even be bigger.

Originally Posted by kipani6 View Post
    The book says the diet program is designed to go with the workouts & they can't really say what your results will be if you don't follow the nutrition. That said, I think it's a pretty basic nutrition program to follow.

Since you're still in stage 1, you may just have to do what is suggested..eat the cals you calculate with their formula, cut 200-300 from that if you really need to & just do the program for 4 weeks to see what happens and adjust from there.
    It's not that easy when I'm vegetarian.

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    She's getting half her protein from dairy...

Seeing as you are indeed eating diary, eggs? Milk?

What about tofu?

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MrB1g View Post
    She's getting half her protein from dairy...

Seeing as you are indeed eating diary, eggs? Milk?

What about tofu?
    I think she uses whey to get protein, but doesn't seem to actually eat "real" dairy.

Tofu is a great idea, though.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Rowyn View Post
    I think she uses whey to get protein, but doesn't seem to actually eat "real" dairy.

Tofu is a great idea, though.
    I don't quite get that point?

Whey is 100% a dairy product, no different from any other dairy product.

TheBlackSwan, do you have any issues with eating eggs?

I don't quite get that point?

Whey is 100% a dairy product, no different from any other dairy product.

TheBlackSwan, do you have any issues with eating eggs?
    Yeah, actually, I'm eating a plant-based diet only (vegan). The exception is the whey protein since it's the only thing available in my country right now. I've already ordered vegan protein from BB.com though, after which I shouldn't be drinking whey protein powders anymore.

Yeah, actually, I'm eating a plant-based diet only (vegan). The exception is the whey protein since it's the only thing available in my country right now. I've already ordered vegan protein from BB.com though, after which I shouldn't be drinking whey protein powders anymore.
    Sure thing, I don't have any problem with veganism/vegeterianism, just thought if you were already stretching the rules maybe you could stretch them some more ;]

Out of interest, what's the idea behind your diet philosophy?

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hi guys, I'm currently on the NROLFW program and I have plans to cut. Basically this is what my workout day looks like:

Breakfast:
    2 Tbsp. Ground Flaxseed
    Almond Milk

Snacks/Pre-workout:
    Banana
    Whey Protein

Post Workout:
    Whey Protein

Lunch:
    3/4 Cup Brown Rice
    1-2 Cups of Veggies

Snacks:
    1 handful of Almonds

Dinner:
    200g of Beans

As you can see, it's a plant-based diet (except the whey protein).. and I'm trying to cut. I'm just figuring out if this is fine to do? I'm 5'6", 150 lbs (that makes maintenance cals around 1800-1900/day) and I'm wondering if I'm eating too much carbs - or eating too much at all.

Firstly - I would like to to reinforce the comments re 'it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you get your basic protein / fat requirements.'

Secondly - you might find that 1720 cals is too much for you for weight loss... if you maintain on 1900 cals, I would decrease that to about 1600-1650 and see how you go.

With regards to food choices - being vegan makes it HARDER, but it isn't impossible. There are some good links here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?p=429795981

So adding things like more mixed seeds, legumes, tempeh, seitan, etc etc would work.

eg: you could do something like =>
    56g Ezekiel Cereal + 2 tbs flax meal + half a cup Almond Milk
    1 slice mixed grain bread + 1 tbs Peanut Butter

Then:
    1 medium Banana + 1 scoop whey protein

Then:
    1 scoop Whey Protein

Then:
    120g tempeh + 0.5 cups cooked lentils + 0.5 cups cooked Brown Rice
    2 cups broccoli

Then:
    120g of cooked kidney beans + 100g seitan + 30g Almonds
    2 cups broccoli

TOTALS come out to something like 1650 cals -> 185g Carb/52g Fat/138g Protein

Sure thing, I don't have any problem with veganism/vegeterianism, just thought if you were already stretching the rules maybe you could stretch them some more ;]

Out of interest, what's the idea behind your diet philosophy?
    I'm just trying to eat as much protein as I can, but sadly with the limited resources I have it involves a lot of carbs, which is why my intake comes out that way.

Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    Firstly - I would like to to reinforce the comments re 'it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you get your basic protein / fat requirements.'

Secondly - you might find that 1720 cals is too much for you for weight loss... if you maintain on 1900 cals, I would decrease that to about 1600-1650 and see how you go.

With regards to food choices - being vegan makes it HARDER, but it isn't impossible. There are some good links here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?p=429795981

So adding things like more mixed seeds, legumes, tempeh, seitan, etc etc would work.

eg: you could do something like =>
    Thank you so much Emma-Leigh!! As always you give some of the best advice. I will definitely cut down on the wheat bread and the peanut butter now, and probably have some more almonds instead. Thank you!!

CarriePurchase has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarriePurchase has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarriePurchase has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarriePurchase has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarriePurchase has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarriePurchase has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarriePurchase has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarriePurchase has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarriePurchase has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarriePurchase has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarriePurchase has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Breakfast:
    2 Tbsp. Ground Flaxseed
    Almond Milk

Snacks/Pre-workout:
    Banana
    Whey Protein

Post Workout:
    Whey Protein

Lunch:
    3/4 Cup Brown Rice
    1-2 Cups of Veggies

Snacks:
    1 handful of Almonds

Dinner:
    200g of Beans

For cutting, decrease your calories by 300-500 per day. The 1721 is prob too high for cutting. I recomment trying tofu, adding some to lunch since there isnt any protein in lunch. For cutting I would say dont eat carbs at night, so maybe try tofu and veggies at night instead of the beans. You could increase your fats, which would decrease your carbs since fats have 9 calories per gram vs 4 for carbs. The fats will have protein in them too which will help with your protein count.
    -Carrie

Loving the Lord everyday :)

myhealthyaddictions.wordpress.com

Originally Posted by CarriePurchase View Post
    For cutting, decrease your calories by 300-500 per day. The 1721 is prob too high for cutting. I recomment trying tofu, adding some to lunch since there isnt any protein in lunch. For cutting I would say dont eat carbs at night, so maybe try tofu and veggies at night instead of the beans. You could increase your fats, which would decrease your carbs since fats have 9 calories per gram vs 4 for carbs. The fats will have protein in them too which will help with your protein count.
    So I take it you didn't read the stickies about how this is mythical nonsense and you are now spreading your arbitrary diet rules to other newbies instead?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=131037653

Getbig135 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Getbig135 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Getbig135 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Getbig135 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Getbig135 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Getbig135 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Getbig135 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Getbig135 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Getbig135 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Getbig135 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Getbig135 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    not too many carbs, if you want to lose a little bit of BF, just force yourself to do some cardio, it sucks but...

Dedication brah
    Dedication