Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50)

How many times a week to train each muscle?

How many times a week should I train each muscle? Right now, I am doing each muscle twice a week, but I see a lot of people doing each muscle only once a week. I just feel like doing bench only 4x a month is crazy to think about, but maybe it works. Just wanting some opinions. Also, I am trying to gain about 10 lbs and gain lots of strength if that has anything to do with your answer. Thanks.
    PR's: 365 | 280 | 500 = 1145 lbs

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=161814243&p=1242966893#post1242966893

Ernie623 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ernie623 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ernie623 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ernie623 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ernie623 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ernie623 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ernie623 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ernie623 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ernie623 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ernie623 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ernie623 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jdyqf View Post
    Right now, I am doing each muscle twice a week, but I see a lot of people doing each muscle only once a week. I just feel like doing bench only 4x a month is crazy to think about, but maybe it works.
    Maybe they have exhausted linear progression and are needing something more advanced to make gains.

More than likely plenty of the people you see doing it are not training optimally and shouldn't be on a once per week program though.
    It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife ?? Thats not ironic thats just f*cking stupid ! What do you need this knife for ?? To stab the bastard who keeps leaving spoons all over your house ??

jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    this is true. i would just like some more opinions. I am getting pretty good results, but I think I could get stronger quicker.

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=161814243&p=1242966893#post1242966893

themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Ernie623 View Post
    Maybe they have exhausted linear progression and are needing something more advanced to make gains.

More than likely plenty of the people you see doing it are not training optimally and shouldn't be on a once per week program though.
    ^this. when you first start out you will gain on almost any routine. as your experience increases you may find you need to hit each muscle group more intensely/ increase the volume to stimulate growth thus increasing recovery time for that muscle group. i would say twice a week is fine as long as your arent working on consecutive days
    "The journey to a place worth getting to is never easy but pain is only temporary, victory is forever" - Jeremy H.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary" - Vince Lombardi

thanks. this helps a little. could you possibly take a look at the split i have written on my workout. i think it is good. i workout a good 1 1/2 hrs on my workdays.

henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I think training each muscle once a week works great especially if you do lots of compound lifts, your muscles will for the most part get worked hard twice a week from this frequency...at least mine do. Alot of that is my split and exercise selection

Quest to 315+BP for Reps JustinRideout's Avatar
    JustinRideout will become famous soon enough. (+50) JustinRideout will become famous soon enough. (+50) JustinRideout will become famous soon enough. (+50) JustinRideout will become famous soon enough. (+50) JustinRideout will become famous soon enough. (+50) JustinRideout will become famous soon enough. (+50) JustinRideout will become famous soon enough. (+50) JustinRideout will become famous soon enough. (+50) JustinRideout will become famous soon enough. (+50) JustinRideout will become famous soon enough. (+50) JustinRideout will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    how many times a week should i train each muscle? Right now, i am doing each muscle twice a week, but i see a lot of people doing each muscle only once a week. I just feel like doing bench only 4x a month is crazy to think about, but maybe it works. Just wanting some opinions. Also, i am trying to gain about 10 lbs and gain lots of strength if that has anything to do with your answer. Thanks.
    1-2
    Warning : Bodybuilding results may cause slight narcissism and turn you into a cheeky kunt, please train responsibily .

"-You can have results or you can have excuses . You can't have both !"

"In the gym, you are nothing but the embodiment of your own will."- BrettT

Current Lifts 18/10/2016

OHP: 225 x 1
    Bench : 340 x 1
    Squat : 500 x 2
    Deadlift : 600 x 1
    Bench/Squat/Deadlift total , natty , raw : 1440

Next milestones : 365 bench , and current lifts or higher under 12% bodyfat

I'll start lifting later. tential's Avatar
    tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

This

JlatLy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JlatLy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How many times a week should I train each muscle? Right now, I am doing each muscle twice a week, but I see a lot of people doing each muscle only once a week. I just feel like doing bench only 4x a month is crazy to think about, but maybe it works. Just wanting some opinions. Also, I am trying to gain about 10 lbs and gain lots of strength if that has anything to do with your answer. Thanks.
    i train each muscles once a week pluss a lagging muscle which is i muscle that needs more work. there's no problem with training a muscle once or twice a week as long as they aren't on back to back days. my high school football coach who is always a personal trainer says that you should not bench more than 4 times a month. there's no need for it. your just holding yourself back from your full potential because there are tiny muscles in your deltoids which are easily injured and torn if you bench too much.

JJVance has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JJVance has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JJVance has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JJVance has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JJVance has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JJVance has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JJVance has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JJVance has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JJVance has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JJVance has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JJVance has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I personally only work each muscle group once a week, if you looking to gain, hit heavy weight and once a week per group should be good, other than that i feel that the muscle doesn't get fully recovered and it just wears em out and then you can't work them out to their potential, if you feel like you could work em again then you didn't work them hard enough in your last workout. unless your talking about arms, you could probably get by with doing them twice a week. (my personal opinion)
    Squat: 360 Bench:270 Clean:230
    5'10" 190lb GOAL:230lb

themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    thanks. this helps a little. could you possibly take a look at the split i have written on my workout. i think it is good. i workout a good 1 1/2 hrs on my workdays.
    how long have you been training for? your routine looks like you're destined for overtraining. unless you have a lot of experience why so many exercises for each muscle group? and why are so many taken to failure? you look like you might be better off with a standard 4 day split: e.g. chest/tri, back/bi, shoulders/traps, legs.

if you want to work each muscle twice a week split up the exercises for each muscle group and do them over two days. i do not believe you need to have so many exercises in your program and if you do want to then i would say split up your routine more so you work just one or two muscle groups per session
    "The journey to a place worth getting to is never easy but pain is only temporary, victory is forever" - Jeremy H.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary" - Vince Lombardi

Location: Preston, Lancashire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Bangey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bangey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bangey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bangey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bangey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bangey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bangey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bangey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bangey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bangey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bangey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Looking at this post i was wondering if i could get some advised from one of you guys. Currently i work out 5x a week mon-fri training one muscle group per session and rest at the weekends. Would it be more beneficial for me to do the standard 4 day slipt as mentioned above?

Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    0 - 18 Months
    ---------------
    Full body routine done 3 times a week based around compound movements.

18 - 36 Months
    ---------------
    Upper body/Lower body split or push/pull split done twice per week (4 lifting days).

36+ Months
    ---------------
    3 or 4 day split routine

And when you start getting advanced, to Jay Cutlers level, train one bodypart per day.

Bangey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bangey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bangey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bangey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bangey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bangey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bangey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bangey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bangey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bangey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bangey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the advice just lookign on the internet at compound lifting and im definatley going to start doing that from now on. one more question would it beneficial to combine compound lifting with isolation training or is compound lifting enough on it is own? my ultimate goal is to walk down the beach and the girls cream their shorts

Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Bangey View Post
    Thanks for the advice just lookign on the internet at compound lifting and im definatley going to start doing that from now on. one more question would it beneficial to combine compound lifting with isolation training or is compound lifting enough on it is own? my ultimate goal is to walk down the beach and the girls cream their shorts

In a way it depends on how advanced you are...

But yes, both compound and isolation together work really good.
    If you want a program like that, try Layne Nortons Power/Hypertrophy...
    And there are different versions of it, usually altered for people who can't
    handle the work load... But really before you even consider something like
    that, try Starting Strenght, that way you will build up a heap of strenght
    and some good muscle size, then after linear progression has been milked
    out of the program and you can;t progress any further then try Laynes
    Power/Hypertrophy.

another question does compound training do your core or is that something you have to do seperatley

aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You can train each muscle as many times as you want in a week, provided you keep VOLUME & INTENSITY in check. I've had good success on a 6 day/week program, hitting each muscle 3 times a week. With good diet and enough rest, most muscles are ready to go 48hrs later. I would not recommend this year round, maybe ramp up 4 weeks, then back off a week.

henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100)
    [QUOTE=aspengc8;614447743]You can
    train each muscle as many times as you want in a week, provided you keep VOLUME & INTENSITY in check. I've had good success on a 6 day/week program, hitting each muscle 3 times a week. With good diet and enough rest, most muscles are ready to go 48hrs later.

When anyone says they've had success on a 6 day a week program, I'm convinced these gains are beginner
    gains and will be short lived. That's
    just too much training in one week.
    You grow when you rest. And your muscles might feel like they are ready in 48 hours but if your training hard enough I can tell you, they won't be fully recovered
    Last edited by henmaniac87; 01-20-2011 at 08:30 AM.

guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Exactly.

OP if you are progressing while training 2x a week, there is absolutely no reason to train once a week.

UofACATS is just really nice. (+1000) UofACATS is just really nice. (+1000) UofACATS is just really nice. (+1000) UofACATS is just really nice. (+1000) UofACATS is just really nice. (+1000) UofACATS is just really nice. (+1000) UofACATS is just really nice. (+1000) UofACATS is just really nice. (+1000) UofACATS is just really nice. (+1000) UofACATS is just really nice. (+1000) UofACATS is just really nice. (+1000)
    Edit: If you can squat 380 at 160lbs like your sig says, then you're doing something right already. Keep doing that.

If you can get away with it, then train each 2x a week. Eat and sleep.

Focus on weight progression.

At some point you'll start to feel your lifts suffer because of how sore you still feel. Adjust then.. There are some body-parts you can train more frequently than others, and some you can train easier (and safer) while sore.
    Last edited by UofACATS; 01-20-2011 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Edit

Originally Posted by Bangey View Post
    another question does compound training do your core or is that something you have to do seperatley
    if by 'core' you mean abs then to a degree yes but not enough to really strengthen them. in my opinion ab work is a crucial part of any training regime

pumpingirontrav has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumpingirontrav has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumpingirontrav has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumpingirontrav has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumpingirontrav has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumpingirontrav has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumpingirontrav has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumpingirontrav has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumpingirontrav has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumpingirontrav has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumpingirontrav has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i usually do twice a week upper/lower body workout.

mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't think it is necessarily how many times a week you hit a particular muscle group as different programs/splits work for different people. I think the important thing is that you give your CNS (central nervous system) time to recover. Example if you hit back hard on Monday then chest hard on Tuesday you may not have much overlap as far as muscles worked but your CNS might not be recovered from the previous days workout. I would recommend either a 3/day a week full body routine on non consecutive days or if you have to work on a 4 day split don't train more than 2 days in a row, such as..Mon, Tues on, Wed off, Thurs on, Fri off, Sat on, Sun off. At any rate read up on CNS & recovery, I know there are some posts on the forums that should help.

pumpingirontrav has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumpingirontrav has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumpingirontrav has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumpingirontrav has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumpingirontrav has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumpingirontrav has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumpingirontrav has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumpingirontrav has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumpingirontrav has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumpingirontrav has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumpingirontrav has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    as long as you are consistent, i dont think it matters much either

N0equal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've always been told (by professionals) to never train a body part while its still sore, that it can cause more damage than benefit
    wouldn't this be something to consider if you are wanting to lift a certain area 2x a week?

I toyed with the idea of doing chest 2x a week one week then alternating and doing arms 2x the following week (and so on), try and give myself more of safe margin from overtraining

also, are there any other signs to watch for that are indicative of overtraing?

DJS24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJS24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJS24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJS24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJS24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJS24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJS24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJS24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJS24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJS24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJS24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

thiss
    Train like an Animal.
    Think like a Chemist.

i train twice a week if i am still sore i just take a extra rest day.i think stretching out good helps out with the soreness also.this something like what i do

day 1 upper
    day 2 cardio
    day 3 lower
    day4 off
    day5 upper
    day6 off or cardio
    day7 lower
    then off or repeat i usually do light cardio after lower body workouts

zaosha is on a distinguished road. (+10) zaosha is on a distinguished road. (+10) zaosha is on a distinguished road. (+10) zaosha is on a distinguished road. (+10) zaosha is on a distinguished road. (+10) zaosha is on a distinguished road. (+10) zaosha is on a distinguished road. (+10) zaosha is on a distinguished road. (+10) zaosha is on a distinguished road. (+10) zaosha is on a distinguished road. (+10) zaosha is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by henmaniac87 View Post
    When anyone says they've had success on a 6 day a week program, I'm convinced these gains are beginner
    gains and will be short lived. That's
    just too much training in one week.
    You grow when you rest. And your muscles might feel like they are ready in 48 hours but if your training hard enough I can tell you, they won't be fully recovered
    Maybe 3 bouts/week for a given bodypart at your current recovery capacity and training loads/volumes would be too much for you to recover from, but can you really say that this applies to anyone else? If you cut your volume in half, do you still believe you would need that extra 24 hours?

Every training bout should be positively effecting the anabolism/catabolism ratio in the trained muscle tissue. The increase in protein synthesis from a given training bout will taper off over a period of ~72 hours. The exact increase and time scale will vary according to the individual's genetics, endocrine staus, etc. and, of course, the intensity and volume of the training being performed. But, let's say 80% of the net increased anabolism from a training bout occurs in the first 48 hours. Then three training bouts/week for a given bodypart will give us a net 260% increase (the third workout each week will have a 72 hour recovery) versus 200% for just 2 training bouts during the week.

Now, this is just looking at protein synthesis in a vacuum. It doesn't take into account CNS recovery - which can definitely exceed 72 hours depending on intensity. However, assuming your nutrition and rest are on point (and drugs/supplementation if applicable) and your primary goal is hypertrophy then high frequency training can accelerate gains even in experienced lifters.

If you want the research behind it, check out Bryan Haycock's HST site. He has compiled a lot of solid research on the relationship between training volume, intensity, and frequency and how these relate to hypertrophy. No given person is going to exactly reflect the statistical data in a handful of studies, but very, very few world class physiques have been built on once/week training. My experience is that two training bouts per bodypart per week is the sweet spot for most experienced trainers. There will be outliers who do great on once/week and some who will do well at 3x/week. There are too many variables with individuals and and training parameters to throw out any absolutes.

The best advice is to get your diet and rest on point and then follow a routine consistently for a few months. Experiment with different protocols until you find what fits you best.

-zaosha

charlesdeff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    one for power one for hyper

Originally Posted by UofACATS View Post
    Edit: If you can squat 380 at 160lbs like your sig says, then you're doing something right already. Keep doing that.

If you can get away with it, then train each 2x a week. Eat and sleep.

Focus on weight progression.

At some point you'll start to feel your lifts suffer because of how sore you still feel. Adjust then.. There are some body-parts you can train more frequently than others, and some you can train easier (and safer) while sore.
    I feel like this makes the most sense. I do not get sore anymore at all except legs a little bit. Is this a problem or does this mean that I can basically keep going 2x a week. I mean i push myself hard look at my workout program its pretty tough. I think 2x a week is good if i am not getting sore. But should I be getting sore, and if so, how do I go about doing that?