MetalJoe666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalJoe666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalJoe666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalJoe666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalJoe666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalJoe666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalJoe666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalJoe666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalJoe666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sample 3 day Powerlifting routine??

Is this considered a powerlifting routine:

Monday - Squat day
    Squats - 6x6,5,5,3,2,1.
    Lunges - 3x12
    Leg curls - 3x10
    Calve raises - 2x15

Wednesday - Bench day
    Bench press - 6x6,5,5,3,2,1
    Incline dumbell press - 3x12
    Tricep extensions/skull crushers - 3x10
    Reverse crunches - 3x12

Friday - Deads day
    Deadlift - 6x6,5,5,3,2,1
    Barbell row - 3x12
    Military press - 3x10
    Chin ups - 3x5-10

I don't think I'm considering swapping over to a powerlifting routine, I'm just wondering if this would be classed as one as I consider changing over to a powerlifting workout in about 3 months time, currently I'm doing stronglifts 5x5..

Your guys views on this programme I wrote please

And is it possible to actually gain strength on a routine like this when low carbing it? Cheers.
    "Using no way as a way, using no limitations as a limitation." - Bruce Lee

Feb 2 - 174lbs BF% - 15-16
    Mar 2 -
    Apr 2 -

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Short answer: Maybe/Yes-no/Sorta/Kinda.

The program's built around the powerlifts, with them as the first exercises and with a clear emphasis on them. This is good. However, the program is also a pyramid on those powerlifts, which has its pros and cons, one of the big cons being that pyramids are difficult to program progression with. Do you aim to increase the weight on every set every time you train? Would doing so cause you to be too fatigued for the heavy single to actually be as useful as it could otherwise be? Do you only aim to increase the weight on the heavy single each week? If so, what do you do with the weights in every other set?

I think it would be simpler for the purposes of programming and progression to just focus on one rep range for a period of a week to a couple months at a time, depending on how quickly you can make progress. Coming out of a program like Stronglifts, I'd go the latter route and try and stick to the same rep range for several weeks to months at a time, and it'll still be a similar rep range to Stronglifts. At a more advanced level, focusing on different rep ranges each week (eg week 1 = 8 reps, week 2 = 5 reps, week 3 = 3 reps, week 4 = 2 reps, week 5 = test 1RM, week 6 = deload, return to week 1 and increase weight 2.5-10kg) might be a better way to go. 5/3/1 is a classic example of this.

As far as actual exercise selection goes, what you've got there should be fine.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't think so.

When I think of powerlifting I think of Cleans, Snatchs and those types of lifts.

You have neither of them. But I do like that you have Deadlifts incorporated though.

Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You want advice on your powerlifting routine? Post in the powerlifting forums. Might get better advice from some of the pros there.
    --- Nick ---

Nuwin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nuwin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nuwin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nuwin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nuwin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nuwin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nuwin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nuwin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nuwin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nuwin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nuwin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Buy a baby cow.

Every day, pick it up off the ground for as long as it is alive.

/sarcasm

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by abronxtale View Post
    I don't think so.

When I think of powerlifting I think of Cleans, Snatchs and those types of lifts.

You have neither of them. But I do like that you have Deadlifts incorporated though.
    Maybe you should google "powerlifting". Eh, you probably won't figure it out so here ya go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_lifting

OP, I would be squatting/benching at least 2x week if I was you, especially benching. There are some elite guys like Ryan Celli that do the Monday-Squat Wednesday-Bench Friday-Deadlift kind of thing but they are on a completely different level than anyone here, and are using weights that destroy their bodies.

You would most likely benefit from the higher frequency.
    Last edited by BombDonald; 01-17-2011 at 06:10 AM. Reason: added link

abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BombDonald View Post
    Maybe you should google "powerlifting". Eh, you probably won't figure it out so here ya go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_lifting

OP, I would be squatting/benching at least 2x week if I was you, especially benching. There are some elite guys like Ryan Celli that do the Monday-Squat Wednesday-Bench Friday-Deadlift kind of thing but they are on a completely different level than anyone here, and are using weights that destroy their bodies.

You would most likely benefit from the higher frequency.
    I know what Powerlifting is, but in this context I think he's just looking for a workout program.

Powerlifting programs are designed differently. From what I see at my gym, they are anyways, so that's why I said that.

Sh*T my total bad. I'm an idiot. I was reading this for some stupid reason as Olympic Lifting.

Sorry. Yes you are fine with that program. Play around with it and go for it.
    Last edited by abronxtale; 01-17-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot...