ulfhednar will become famous soon enough. (+50) ulfhednar will become famous soon enough. (+50) ulfhednar will become famous soon enough. (+50) ulfhednar will become famous soon enough. (+50) ulfhednar will become famous soon enough. (+50) ulfhednar will become famous soon enough. (+50) ulfhednar will become famous soon enough. (+50) ulfhednar will become famous soon enough. (+50) ulfhednar will become famous soon enough. (+50) ulfhednar will become famous soon enough. (+50) ulfhednar will become famous soon enough. (+50)

does front squat help improve back squat?

I do weightlifting back squats to gain more power and strength for wrestling, started doing them about a year and half ago, progress isnt that good though, my best is about 460, but even that has gone down to about 440 or so, been thinking of adding front squats to my routine, so the question is pretty much in the thread title, will it help me improve my back squat?

Thanx.
    main goals:

Bench 440
    Olympic Squat 600
    Powerclean and push press over 315

---------------------------------------------

Lifting, boxing, wrestling, beer and whiskey enthusiast

Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000)
    They can if your back squat is weak in the areas that a front squat will help.

They won't really help with the motor pattern, especially if you are doing low-bar powerlifting style back squats

Front squats helped my back squats becuase my weak points were quads, glutes, and mid back and thats where I feel the most destroyed by front squats
    771/645/622 Single Ply

DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    They helped mine. At first my posterior chain overpowered everything else and my Quads weren't very strong. Front Squats fixed this quite nicely, and they also improved my speed out of the hole.

someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    doesn't help me

and working bs doesn't help my front squat

doing more back squats will help your back squat then adding front sqauts

if goal is total in weightlifting you need to do both-with imo more focus on front squats-

they both help my pull speed in the lifts and keeping good posture during the pulls. Also front squats help tremendously for clean recovery.
    Last edited by someonefat; 01-15-2011 at 06:37 PM.
    updated 2011
    Hw-Alistair overeem, Brock lesnar, Sergei Kharitonov
    Lhw-jon jones, Gegard Mousasi, Lyoto machida
    Mw-Chael sonnen, Yushin Okami, Ronaldo souza
    ww-Jake shields, Ben Askren, Josh Koscheck
    lw-Bj penn, Tatsuya Kawajiri, Eddie Alvarez
    fw-jose aldo, Hatsu Hioki, Kenny Florian
    bw-Urijah Faber

ulfhednar will become famous soon enough. (+50) ulfhednar will become famous soon enough. (+50) ulfhednar will become famous soon enough. (+50) ulfhednar will become famous soon enough. (+50) ulfhednar will become famous soon enough. (+50) ulfhednar will become famous soon enough. (+50) ulfhednar will become famous soon enough. (+50) ulfhednar will become famous soon enough. (+50) ulfhednar will become famous soon enough. (+50) ulfhednar will become famous soon enough. (+50) ulfhednar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Torrtrefireto View Post
    They can if your back squat is weak in the areas that a front squat will help.

They won't really help with the motor pattern, especially if you are doing low-bar powerlifting style back squats

Front squats helped my back squats becuase my weak points were quads, glutes, and mid back and thats where I feel the most destroyed by front squats

I do high bar squats. Feels like my weakness are my quads, and since the front squat involves more quads, and the back squat is more hips, thought it could help my back squat if my quads get stronger.
    main goals:

Bench 440
    Olympic Squat 600
    Powerclean and push press over 315

---------------------------------------------

Lifting, boxing, wrestling, beer and whiskey enthusiast

lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ulfhednar View Post
    I do high bar squats. Feels like my weakness are my quads, and since the front squat involves more quads, and the back squat is more hips, thought it could help my back squat if my quads get stronger.
    High bar olympic squats already shift focus more onto quads than hips, glutes and hamstrings than a low bar PL squat... most likely your hamstrings are lacking (which mine are since I've always squatted high bar)
    PBs:
    Oly Squat: 145 kg
    Front Squat: 125 kg
    Strict Overhead Press: 75x2 kg
    Push Press: 90 kg
    Bench Press: 100 kg
    Deadlift: 180 kg
    Power|Full Clean: 95|100 kg
    (Hang) Power Snatch: 72.5 kg
    40-Yard Dash: 4.7s
    3-Cone Drill: 6.8s

My Strength Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129882473

☆☆☆υк ¢яєω☆☆☆
    ~misc audiophile crew

TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    it hurt my I do pl back squats and olympic front squats. my back squats went down idk why

Learning and Evolving MJAffliction's Avatar
    MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't think so. The only thing that helps the back squat is volume or technique work.

Then again, Louie Simmons has built an enterprise on training variants of the main compound lifts so who really knows?
    BJJ Crew
    Muay Thai Crew
    HODL crew

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
    "That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
    "I don't much care where ..." said Alice.
    "Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.
    -LEWIS CARROLL, Alice in Wonderland

Everything popular is wrong.
    -OSCAR WILDE, The Importance of Being Earnest

justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    They probably will, however pretty simple solution, Get ur back squat workout in and add fronts as assistance work. boom