Res0m50r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Res0m50r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Res0m50r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Res0m50r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Res0m50r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Res0m50r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Res0m50r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Abs, Oblique and Lower Back Advise

I am an endomorphic body type (see my profile for before pics). I am running Wendlers 5/3/1 at very beginner weights. I have a nutrition and supplement routine as well. (please see the link in my signature for the full details of the program plus my log.) I am a beginner and am not trying to deviate or create my own program, but do have some questions.

1) My weak spots are abs, obliques and lower back. I've run through the first week of 5/3/1 and I feel like I will get good gains in most areas. I don't feel like I have hit abs, obliques and lower back hard enough. I want to make some adjustments but not go off the core program.

2) I've done a ton of reading on this site and know how to find the isolation accessories I could either add or switch out my current accessories. My concern is it feels like I should be doing targeted isolation exercises on these three areas 3 days a week.

Any advise on adding a 30 minute isolation exercise to my Cardio Days (Wed/Sat) and on my Squat Day (Mon)? Any critiques on my program are welcomed as well.

I've only left out core details because they are already defined in my log (signature).
    Josh B.
    Team Poynter (www.FITNESSPOYNTERS.com)
    Beginner as of 1/10/2011
    Starting Stats - 5'9'', 178, 38" hip, 34" waist, 15"neck
    First Cycle: Start 2/14/2011 (professional designed nutrition, supplement and training program)
    HRT - due to low T symptoms (200mg inject Test Cyp. Weekly)

sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Res0m50r View Post
    I am an endomorphic body type (see my profile for before pics). I am running Wendlers 5/3/1 at very beginner weights. I have a nutrition and supplement routine as well. (please see the link in my signature for the full details of the program plus my log.) I am a beginner and am not trying to deviate or create my own program, but do have some questions.

1) My weak spots are abs, obliques and lower back. I've run through the first week of 5/3/1 and I feel like I will get good gains in most areas. I don't feel like I have hit abs, obliques and lower back hard enough. I want to make some adjustments but not go off the core program.

2) I've done a ton of reading on this site and know how to find the isolation accessories I could either add or switch out my current accessories. My concern is it feels like I should be doing targeted isolation exercises on these three areas 3 days a week.

Any advise on adding a 30 minute isolation exercise to my Cardio Days (Wed/Sat) and on my Squat Day (Mon)? Any critiques on my program are welcomed as well.

I've only left out core details because they are already defined in my log (signature).

Lower back- hyperextensions. I like to isolate each side by keeping one leg out. Also deadlifts.

Obliques.. Cable twists
    Transverse... I like doing weighted decline situps. Dont come all the way up as this will work the hip flexors more.

I do lower back and transverse abs once a week ans obliques twice a week.

Res0m50r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Res0m50r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Res0m50r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Res0m50r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Res0m50r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Res0m50r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Res0m50r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by sahm22kids View Post
    Lower back- hyperextensions. I like to isolate each side by keeping one leg out. Also deadlifts.

Obliques.. Cable twists
    Transverse... I like doing weighted decline situps. Dont come all the way up as this will work the hip flexors more.

I do lower back and transverse abs once a week ans obliques twice a week.
    Awesome thank you for the suggestions I will research those exercises!! I am doing decline crunches makes sense to add weight to increase difficulty. I don't think adding more of those exercises to the 5/3/1 would be a deviations since it is just accessory work which I will not allow to compromise the core lifts.
    Josh B.
    Beginner as of 1/10/2011
    First Cycle: Start 2/14/2011 (professional designed nutrition, supplement and training program)

ryankoch has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ryankoch has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ryankoch has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ryankoch has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ryankoch has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ryankoch has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ryankoch has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ryankoch has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ryankoch has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ryankoch has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ryankoch has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Res0m50r View Post

abs: i try to do everyday, but not weights everyday. i alternate the ab crunch machine 1 day, leg kicks/crunches nextday and sometimes jsut try what i see someone else doing at gym for abs to change it up.

obliques: i only do on back day with lower back. so once to twice a week. obliques four sets of side bends holding about a 35pound dumbbell. lower back so far only doing back hyper extensions on the thing that goes at a 75degree angle not the 90 degree angle one. i do four sets of that too. you can put your hands behind your head doing these to make it harder, but after four sets with arms crossed at chest is what i do now. maybe one day ill be holding a 45 pounder.

if you play sports your core is exercised a lot already. almost everything uses your core. running, swimming etc..

brasuca6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brasuca6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brasuca6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brasuca6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brasuca6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brasuca6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brasuca6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brasuca6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brasuca6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brasuca6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brasuca6 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Also as a suggestion, you can add those accesssory lifts after squat or deadlift day, as they help those two a lot.

RKrebs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Oblique crunches are amazing for obliques, and planks tend to work the lower back pretty well. Abs are 90% diet and body-fat percentage tho in my opinion
    http://www.myquicksixpack.com Abs...Get Them Now

Originally Posted by brasuca6 View Post
    Also as a suggestion, you can add those accesssory lifts after squat or deadlift day, as they help those two a lot.
    Awesome advice thanks both of you!!! I am making a few changes based on the feedback to i've gotten to target my weak areas a bit more. Thanks you!
    Josh B.
    Beginner as of 1/10/2011