paperdragons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Whey protein bloating.

Yeah. Not fun. Lately, I've been getting awful bloating and gas from my whey protein. I can not understand it.

I tried whey isolate, and it did not help. If anything, it was worse. Moreover, the whey isolate was unsweetened, so it couldn't even be an artificial sweetener.

I tried sipping my whey shake. It might have helped, but it did not eliminate the problem.

I tried taking lactase with my whey. I don't understand why it would work, but I decided it wouldn't hurt to try. It might have helped, but I'm not sure. It was not eliminated.

I've been considering purchasing enzymes (e.g. protease, bromelain, papain) to aid in the digestion, or in purchasing hydrolyzed whey. Otherwise, I've read I might benefit from a temporary abstention from whey. In contrast, I've heard adding whey in smaller doses at other times of the day might make my body become comfortable with it again.

I don't want to start purchasing other protein powders. First of all, I have a lot of whey left. Secondly, they aren't going to be as high quality. The best think I've heard of is rice combined with pea protein, and that really doesn't sound like the best bet for me.

another day in paradise punksurfer024's Avatar
    punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Are we talking water retention (bloat) or gas distention of ab area? enzymes most likely will not effect water retention at all. Also how much are you taking at once? what are you mixing it with? Over what period of time is the "bloat" lasting?
    Millecor Sponsored Athlete

paperdragons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The latter - severe gas distention.

I've tried varying it somewhat, but I'm between 18 and 40 grams.

I'm mixing it with either milk and dextrose, orange juice, or pineapple juice along with some water. So, usually 1 cup of the oj or pineapple juice per scoop of whey.

I tend to have about a 50:50 carb to protein ratio post workout (I'm skeptical of the necessity for a huge insulin spike, particularly since I tend to follow a relatively low carb diet - it seems like the insulin spike puts an end to growth hormone elevations).

Originally Posted by punksurfer024 View Post
    Are we talking water retention (bloat) or gas distention of ab area? enzymes most likely will not effect water retention at all. Also how much are you taking at once? what are you mixing it with? Over what period of time is the "bloat" lasting?

dabial is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabial is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabial is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabial is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabial is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabial is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabial is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabial is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabial is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabial is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabial is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've got same problem. Mixing with water only may help. I've tried blends, isolates. And using probiotics. Not much different maybe try adding a fiber support. I've heard good things about enzymes. Good luck if you find a cure let me know the secret. I'm just gonna suck it up for now