The_Harlequin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lower Protein Diet

On Determined4000's recommendating I'm crossposting this and coming to you for some help:

Hey all, let me tell you a little about me.

A little over 5 years ago I used to weigh nearly 180 pounds at barely 5 feet tall as a teen. I decided to get healthy and finally lost 40 pounds 3 years later.

2 years ago I did a fitness, life, and diet (nutrition) overhaul and lost an additional 20 pounds, then life hit me in 2010. My kidney function was weak and poor and I was just 23.

I was put on several medications that made me depressed, fatigued, and unmotivated.
    I gained back the 20 pounds I had worked very hard to lose. I was taken off the medication as my kidneys are stabilized and healthier now (which is a "miracle" according to some experts), but it's taken me a year to get back into the mental and physical groove. I want to lose weight and be mentally and physically fit and healthy again. I don't want to feel like that overweight, unhappy 180 pound girl with the low self-esteem.

I am now at 145 pounds now and would like to lose the 20 pounds of FAT that I gained during that rough time.

I ask for your help because I can't have a diet with too much protein, which is necessary for fat loss, recovery, and muscle building.

So if there are any nutritionists in the boards or others that have created a diet that doesn't rely too much on protein, but yield positive and significant results in fat (weight) loss, please share.

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by The_Harlequin View Post
    On Determined4000's recommendating I'm crossposting this and coming to you for some help:

A little over 5 years ago I used to weigh nearly 180 pounds at barely 5 feet tall as a teen. I decided to get healthy and finally lost 40 pounds 3 years later.

2 years ago I did a fitness, life, and diet (nutrition) overhaul and lost an additional 20 pounds, then life hit me in 2010. My kidney function was weak and poor and I was just 23.

I was put on several medications that made me depressed, fatigued, and unmotivated.
    I gained back the 20 pounds I had worked very hard to lose. I was taken off the medication as my kidneys are stabilized and healthier now (which is a "miracle" according to some experts), but it's taken me a year to get back into the mental and physical groove. I want to lose weight and be mentally and physically fit and healthy again. I don't want to feel like that overweight, unhappy 180 pound girl with the low self-esteem.

I am now at 145 pounds now and would like to lose the 20 pounds of FAT that I gained during that rough time.

I ask for your help because I can't have a diet with too much protein, which is necessary for fat loss, recovery, and muscle building.

So if there are any nutritionists in the boards or others that have created a diet that doesn't rely too much on protein, but yield positive and significant results in fat (weight) loss, please share.

Thanks!
    A lot of the protein requirements I see followed are overly exaggerated. Depending on the person and many other factors, the body cannot utilize more than a certain amount of grams at any one given time. I personally have gained LBM and strength with very minimal amounts of protien combined with very intense training. I have gone as low as 100g/day at 225lbs 12%bf, and made noticeable consistent strength and LBM gains. Typically though this would be a very sedentary day, where most of my activity was just resistance training. A whey protein shake with a healthy carb soure like WaxyMaize for PWO would be mandatory. i.e consuming 45g of whey post workout and 80g of waxyMaize, then consume a high carb meal such as white rice 1.5-2 hours later with a lean protein source like 30g of chicken. The remaining meals could slack a bit as long as you're staying above your RMR always and have a sufficent supply of healthy fats/carbs you won't need as much protein. It's still enough protein, and the proper times, with the proper type of high GI carbs combined to the proper ratio that prevent any catabolic effects, and still manage replenishment of glycogen from the carbs sources and timing.

You could make consistent gains honestly with as little as .5g/lb, I have seen it before in natural athletes so I know it's possible. Of course this is not recommended Ideally, but it still does work. You have to just be more meticulous with your timing windowing these nutrients around training. Good luck with the diet, I hope this helps.
    *Muscle-Tech & Vitargo Sponsored*
    - www.ApexDiets.com - Online Personal Training - Designing Customized Workouts, Diets, Meal Plans, Cardio, Core, and Supplement routines with Unlimited Support since 2002
    - Email: Dave@ApexContestPrep.com

Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you had kidney problems and you can't eat a high protein diet now, I would suggest to consult your doctor for info about what would be best for you.
    Iron, sometimes it sets my teeth on edge, other times it helps me control the chaos.

++ Positivity Crew ++

AddisonBrown has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AddisonBrown has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AddisonBrown has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AddisonBrown has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AddisonBrown has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AddisonBrown has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AddisonBrown has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AddisonBrown has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AddisonBrown has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AddisonBrown has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AddisonBrown has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hello,
    Vegetables and fruits yield a small amount of protein, which is why it is recommended for someone planning to go on a low protein diet. Other foods that have small amount of protein are foods that have starches such as cereals, breads and pasta.

Thanks
    Addison Brown
    http://www.bariatricfoodproducts.com/

Glutes... they are back Cumulonimbus's Avatar
    Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by db2012 View Post
    A lot of the protein requirements I see followed are overly exaggerated. Depending on the person and many other factors, the body cannot utilize more than a certain amount of grams at any one given time. I personally have gained LBM and strength with very minimal amounts of protien combined with very intense training. I have gone as low as 100g/day at 225lbs 12%bf, and made noticeable consistent strength and LBM gains. Typically though this would be a very sedentary day, where most of my activity was just resistance training. A whey protein shake with a healthy carb soure like WaxyMaize for PWO would be mandatory. i.e consuming 45g of whey post workout and 80g of waxyMaize, then consume a high carb meal such as white rice 1.5-2 hours later with a lean protein source like 30g of chicken. The remaining meals could slack a bit as long as you're staying above your RMR always and have a sufficent supply of healthy fats/carbs you won't need as much protein. It's still enough protein, and the proper times, with the proper type of high GI carbs combined to the proper ratio that prevent any catabolic effects, and still manage replenishment of glycogen from the carbs sources and timing.

You could make consistent gains honestly with as little as .5g/lb, I have seen it before in natural athletes so I know it's possible. Of course this is not recommended Ideally, but it still does work. You have to just be more meticulous with your timing windowing these nutrients around training. Good luck with the diet, I hope this helps.
    Sorry but is this a joke?
    Just a weight lifter

HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Renal disease is a serious topic. You should really consult a renal dietitian for a diet plan. I could make one, but I'm not a dietitian.. not to mention pre-dialysis diets are very strict and difficult to coordinate. Before going any further, you should see what your GFR is. What your GFR is will determine how your diet should be. Do you have T2DM? HTN? What's your height now? (Yea this can be pretty invasive).

http://josel.multimindgroup.net/fda/...8/image541.gif

If you are stage 1-4 in CKD, important parts for you to know are 35 kcals/kg < 60 yrs, 0.6-0.75 g protein/kg, limit sat. fat, limit sodium to 2000 mg/day, and calcium to 1200 mg/day. I would like to include more info on my end, but more info should be given on your end in order to determine any direction.

Originally Posted by The_Harlequin View Post

Thanks!

sephvalarius is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephvalarius is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephvalarius is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephvalarius is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephvalarius is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephvalarius is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephvalarius is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephvalarius is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephvalarius is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephvalarius is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephvalarius is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just start eating more vegetables and fruit and start drinking more juices and more water. Start looking at nutritional value of products and start staying away from calories..the weight will decrease overtime.

Aashish01 is not very well liked. (-100) Aashish01 is not very well liked. (-100) Aashish01 is not very well liked. (-100) Aashish01 is not very well liked. (-100) Aashish01 is not very well liked. (-100) Aashish01 is not very well liked. (-100) Aashish01 is not very well liked. (-100) Aashish01 is not very well liked. (-100) Aashish01 is not very well liked. (-100) Aashish01 is not very well liked. (-100) Aashish01 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Changing your diet to meet your body's lower protein needs and still using the foods and recipes you are used to can be difficult.

Creating bodily entropy. Gen1GT's Avatar
    Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Aashish01 View Post
    Changing your diet to meet your body's lower protein needs and still using the foods and recipes you are used to can be difficult.
    Dude, seriously. All you're doing is typing random things in old-ass threads. Can someone ban this guy, please?
    286 lbs - March 11, 2019 (started Keto)
    261 lbs - May 23, 2019

manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000) manmore350 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    bump for this

my brother was born with a kidney condition

since he was a baby he had to stage on a "low protein" diet based on what his kidney doctor/nutritionist etc has told him. (btw he has a top doctor for this)

He has had to stay in around 50 grams of protein per day for the duration of his life thus far -

he is obviously not into the bodybuilding / athletic life style etc

drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by manmore350 View Post
    bump for this

my brother was born with a kidney condition

since he was a baby he had to stage on a "low protein" diet based on what his kidney doctor/nutritionist etc has told him. (btw he has a top doctor for this)

He has had to stay in around 50 grams of protein per day for the duration of his life thus far -

he is obviously not into the bodybuilding / athletic life style etc
    Unfortunately, that's a big impediment to putting on mass, though I don't think it's impossible to put on quality mass at 50g protein a day. I think it may be slower and more difficult.

stef799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stef799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stef799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stef799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stef799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stef799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stef799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stef799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stef799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stef799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stef799 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    try intermittent fasting

rick911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rick911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rick911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rick911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rick911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rick911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rick911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rick911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rick911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rick911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rick911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    have you ever tried a 80/10/10 vegan diet. 80% carbs from fruits/whole grains,

samt1533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First off, I would like to say that I am not a nutritionist, nor am I a doctor, and I believe you should follow the advice of your doctor and/or nutritionist. That being said, I believe I am very well-versed in nutrition, so I believe I can help you. Studies have shown that optimal protein requirements for active people is around 0.82g per pound of LBM. Considering that you are a woman and only 145lb, those protein levels are fairly low to begin with. If your doctor says that those levels of protein determined by the equation above (0.82xLBM) are still too high, you should still be able to get great results in building muscle and burning fat at 0.7 or even 0.6g/lb of LMB. I would not go too far below that if you can help it. Good luck

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by samt1533 View Post
    I believe I am very well-versed in nutrition, so I believe I can help you. Studies have shown that optimal protein requirements for active people is around 0.82g per pound of LBM.
    That's per pound of body weight, not LBM
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

muchidna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muchidna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muchidna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muchidna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muchidna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muchidna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muchidna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muchidna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muchidna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muchidna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muchidna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ey sup all, i'm on pretty low protein diet... probably around 15-20% calories from protein.
    from what i've seen, alot of people say "i think im pretty well versed in this" or "studies show that 1g/pound is good" really have no sort of reading material accompanied.. i think one post i read referenced some news site or something addressing a fad diet (which also had no studies or anything to reference)... it seems like alot of it is like chinese whispers... that guy says 1g/lb is good, im gonna say it too, without much question.

not saying higher protein is not ideal though.

anyway, i have been inadvertently more or less following a lower protein, plant based diet for 7 years now (and about 7 more prior to that without meat) and more recently... maybe 3 or 4 months ago got back into working out
    still searching for as much info as i can on the subject, what i've read about so far is that low fat, whole food plant based diets are best for long term health... and that 10% calories from protein is conducive for gains.
    have also read that high protein meals trigger certain hormonal responses, and these hormonal responses promote gains rather than the protein itself, but it's not such a significant effect, and has some bas sideeffects... promotes cancer and ages u

for me i think that either way, the health benefits outweigh any benefits of getting high protein intake either way

in the past i have experimented with higher protein intake, but it's not pleasant on plant based diet, the only truly overt protein is from processed powders, most other plant foods have atleast 2:1 carbrotein ratio, and eating so many shakes and stuff just wasnt sustainable for me, and even for meat eaters... i would have to eat almost a thousand calories worth of just protein each day to get by, and damn that must suck

right now my approach is to just eat more than i used to, eat lots of whole foods, eat some more protein rich foods like lentils, beans, etc, so far i have gained about 6 kilos, obviously some fat, but strength has gone up alot, starting to look more athletic... idk if down the line, lower protein consumption will put me in a bottleneck... who knows, but i have seen alot of really jacked guys on this page
    (ugh cant post links, just search for the veganbodybuilding site and look for the profiles page) and a big chunk of them when asked about their nutrition will say nothing about powders, alot will eat a majority of raw foods, and alot will eat lots of rice/beans, etc, so we will see..

GlennMenjivar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A low-protein diet intake by those people who are suffering from kidney or liver disease. So try to concern once with your doctor.