1211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My Fitness Pal Exercise Accuracy

Those using the MFP app, how are you finding the calorie estimates for exercise?

I am not losing weight and I am probably 750 under my maintenance calories. I am still eating well, but doing a lot of cardio to reduce my net cals i.e. spin swim and jogging. It has been 3-4 weeks and I have only lost 1lb. Otherwise I have been trying to match 1g to every lb of lean muscle and lift 3 times a week.

feinburgrl is not very helpful. (-500) feinburgrl is not very helpful. (-500) feinburgrl is not very helpful. (-500) feinburgrl is not very helpful. (-500) feinburgrl is not very helpful. (-500) feinburgrl is not very helpful. (-500) feinburgrl is not very helpful. (-500) feinburgrl is not very helpful. (-500) feinburgrl is not very helpful. (-500) feinburgrl is not very helpful. (-500) feinburgrl is not very helpful. (-500)
    This ^^

selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Buy a food scale....measuring cups...you can do this for under 20 bucks....measure and weigh all the food you consume...after a week or so see if you see improvement...
    While liftin duh weights I yell out..."You sexy beast"...."Squeeze metal for papa".

mStraz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use the MPF app, but just for the daily calories. I don't find their estimates for exercises very accurate. If you know your TDEE, then there's no real need to track the cals burned via workouts IMO. Also, do what selffirst recommended.

For that (more of a log really), try jefit.com. They have a pretty good mobile app for that.

always moving forward blazeheavy's Avatar
    blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    DO NOT use their exercise calories.

In my experience they are way too high. Even higher than machine estimates in the gym. It's not a good idea to eat 500 more calories because the app said your 30 minutes on the elliptical burned 500.

ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I know that the calories burned for running are off. I just adjust the time for my total mileage.

1211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1211 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have changed my lifestyle to sedentary (even though i am exercising 6 days per week) and thus adjusted my calories. i have been more thorough with my weighing and account for every little snack (even if it is a single cracker etc). I have also decided to understate my running speed. All of the above has yielded a visual and statistical loss in Bf.

I think I was in patient and a little too lenient.

Thanks your help guys.

jmac1985 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jmac1985 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jmac1985 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by blazeheavy View Post
    DO NOT use their exercise calories.

In my experience they are way too high. Even higher than machine estimates in the gym. It's not a good idea to eat 500 more calories because the app said your 30 minutes on the elliptical burned 500.
    Blazeheavy - Good point that out. I am scheduled to start using the my fitness pal app on my iphone. I've heard from others that it's best to ignore the "exercise calories" bc it allows for the user to eat more than usual.

I plan to use it strictly as a calorie counter. I'm also pleased to know that it breaks down fat, carb, and protein consumption.

Brutal skin thinning igglesphan's Avatar
    igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jmac1985 View Post
    Blazeheavy - Good point that out. I am scheduled to start using the my fitness pal app on my iphone. I've heard from others that it's best to ignore the "exercise calories" bc it allows for the user to eat more than usual.

I plan to use it strictly as a calorie counter. I'm also pleased to know that it breaks down fat, carb, and protein consumption.
    Strong bump... thread is over two years old.

JuggernautD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuggernautD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuggernautD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuggernautD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuggernautD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuggernautD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuggernautD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuggernautD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuggernautD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuggernautD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuggernautD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use MFP, and the exercise calculations are high. I did the same as 1211 - I have my lifestyle set at 'sedentary', even though I work out 5-6 days a week. You can also set you calories burned to 1 so it doesn't throw off your calories, or, you can do what I do, and log your exercises right before you finish your daily food submission (that way it doesn't adjust throughout the day, and give you more calories).
    Last edited by JuggernautD; 05-20-2013 at 08:28 PM. Reason: sp

godimfat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I dont even bother inputting cardio, I make sure I am at a deficit from diet alone, and any cardio ontop of that is great.