moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

max weight every workout?

should i be doing my max every workout or do max 1 week and light the next week? these pass 3 months or so i have been going the heaviest i can go for every workout and noticed some good gains, but was curious after reading a couple of threads. so should i go my heaviest every workout or alternate heaviest and moderate every week?

Registered User washedupwarrior's Avatar
    washedupwarrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) washedupwarrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) washedupwarrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) washedupwarrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) washedupwarrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) washedupwarrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) washedupwarrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) washedupwarrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) washedupwarrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) washedupwarrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) washedupwarrior is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by moneyrich View Post
    should i be doing my max every workout or do max 1 week and light the next week? these pass 3 months or so i have been going the heaviest i can go for every workout and noticed some good gains, but was curious after reading a couple of threads. so should i go my heaviest every workout or alternate heaviest and moderate every week?
    Do you mean a max single or a max set of reps?
    How long have you been training?
    How fast do you recover?

The short answer is you should go as heavy as you can as often as you can make gains. It's all about progression. If you can max out every week and your numbers are going up then you should max out every week. If you try and max out every week and you aren't going up then you should max out less often.

I posted a 9 week training routine in another thread that has worked wonders for many people I have trained in the past. I tried to put a link to it here but I havent posted enough for it to let me post a link I guess...
    Check out www.thatworkoutguy.com to find out the number one training secret I have learned in 30 years of being around strength sports.

MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you are looking to increase strength, it seems you would be better off with a set program until you have the knowledge and experience to build your own.

Otherwise, increase your reps/set and no, dont max out every workout.

washedupwarrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) washedupwarrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) washedupwarrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) washedupwarrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) washedupwarrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) washedupwarrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) washedupwarrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) washedupwarrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) washedupwarrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) washedupwarrior is on a distinguished road. (+10) washedupwarrior is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Here I copy and pasted it..

Monday
    Bench
    Curl

Tuesday
    Squat
    Glute/ham (if you dont have a glute/ham buy one-lol or do leg curls)

Thursday
    Pushpress
    Tris

Friday
    Bent Over Row
    calf

Week 1
    Main exercise 5 sets of 5 with same weight
    Second exercise 2 sets of 20

Week 2
    Main exercise 3 sets of 3 with same weight
    Second exercise 2 sets of 15

Week 3
    Main exercise work up to a top set of 5 with the weight you did 3x3 with
    Second exercise 2 sets of 12

Week 4
    Main exercise work up to your max triple
    second exercise 2 sets of 20 with the weight you did 2 sets of 15 with in week 2

Week 5
    Main exercise 3 sets of 5 with the weight you did 1 set of 5 with in week 3
    Second exercise 2 sets of 15 with the weight you did 12 with in week 3

Week 6
    Main exercise 3 sets of 3 with the weight you did for max triple in week 4
    Second exercise 2 sets of 12 with roughly 5% more weight than you did in week 3

Week 7
    Main exercise work up to your best set of 5 ever
    Second exercise 1 set of 20 with the weight you did 15 with in week 5

Week 8
    Main exercise work up to your best triple ever
    Second exercise 1 set of 15 with the weight you did 12 with in week 6

Week 9
    Main exercise warm up then do one all out set of max reps with weight from week 1
    Second exercise 1 all out set of max reps with weight from week 3

Week 10
    Do some light pumping stuff and walk around with a big smile on your face because you are stronger than ever and prepared to kill your next routine!

Seriously though, if you try it and have any questions let me know. I wish you luck with your training.

-Mike
    Check out www.thatworkoutguy.com to find out the number one training secret I have learned in 30 years of being around strength sports.

Showstopper19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Showstopper19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Showstopper19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Showstopper19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Showstopper19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Showstopper19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Showstopper19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Showstopper19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Showstopper19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Showstopper19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Go heavy for a couple of months, then insert a deload week. In the deload week do all of your normal lifts at 50% of the weight you normally do, or you can take this week completely off from lifting weights.
    Started lifting Summer of 2009

Main current Goal - Two 45's on each side of the bar for benching 4x6.
    Currently - One 45, one 10, one 5, one 2.5

moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moneyrich has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    forgot to clear up that by max i meant max weight of 6-8 reps. like i can easily do 50lbs deadlift 6-8 rep, but my max is 185lb deadlift 6-8 reps. i can't go any higher than that. every week i try to go as high as i can and i am asking if i should deload every other week?
    my goal is definition/cut and some strength would be nice, but i am not going for bulk/mass.

forgot to clear up that by max i meant max weight of 6-8 reps. like i can easily do 50lbs deadlift 6-8 rep, but my max is 185lb deadlift 6-8 reps. i can't go any higher than that. every week i try to go as high as i can and i am asking if i should deload every other week?
    my goal is definition/cut and some strength would be nice, but i am not going for bulk/mass.
    Definition is percent bodyfat. Adding muscle as you lose fat will make you look more ripped. As a matter of fact if you keep your fat weight the same and add muscle your % goes down and you look leaner. To build muscle max out your 6-8's as often as you can get stronger. If you feel you arent at your best go a bit easier. When you are feeling like an animal kill it!

Originally Posted by washedupwarrior View Post
    Definition is percent bodyfat. Adding muscle as you lose fat will make you look more ripped. As a matter of fact if you keep your fat weight the same and add muscle your % goes down and you look leaner. To build muscle max out your 6-8's as often as you can get stronger. If you feel you arent at your best go a bit easier. When you are feeling like an animal kill it!
    cool. thx for the quick answer. my main question was if i should deload every other week, but i guess you answered that.

Coach-C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Coach-C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Coach-C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Coach-C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Coach-C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Coach-C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Coach-C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Coach-C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Coach-C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Coach-C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Coach-C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    IMO I believe thats most of the lifters problems. They get caught up on lifting heavy weight and it hurts there tech. Focus on feeling the muscle work. Do 70-75% of your one rep max, and keep good tech and feel the muscle work. Every so often do the " Heavy Days". PUt it this way your going to get stronger if thats what your looking for. THe bigger the muscle gets the stronger you will get. It goes hand in hand.

edseger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) edseger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) edseger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) edseger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) edseger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) edseger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Coach-C View Post
    IMO I believe thats most of the lifters problems. They get caught up on lifting heavy weight and it hurts there tech. Focus on feeling the muscle work. Do 70-75% of your one rep max, and keep good tech and feel the muscle work. Every so often do the " Heavy Days". PUt it this way your going to get stronger if thats what your looking for. THe bigger the muscle gets the stronger you will get. It goes hand in hand.
    I agree with that. Max strength is improved most through 75-85% max (2-4 rep range). 8 rep is never bad, it is a good mix of muscular strength and muscular endurance. So improvement would be all dependent on what you want to do...Do you want to simply improve max? Lower the rep, increase the weight (people seem to love 5X5 workouts). Do you want to increase weight on an 8 rep range? Try lowering the weight slightly and going for 10-12 reps. With any program, its all about change, your body will adapt to the same program week after week.