Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    rippedprincess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Realistic goals I feel is something that so many, especially female have problems dealing with. And most are so fixated on numbers that they start missing the actual positive changes going on.
    Taking progress pictures is a great way to track your progress. Take them biweekly. At first you won't see the changes but as the months go on and you look at back them, the results will show.

You are your own worst critic. Be patient, persistent and follow through with your plan of action
    -SARA
    Check out my clothing line: Ripped Princess Apparel
    www.rippedprincessapparel.com

Follow me on fb: Sara Fennell * Canadian Figure Athlete
    https://www.********.com/pages/Sara-Fennell-Canadian-Figure-Athlete/344255428985792?ref=hl

KaraKlett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KaraKlett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KaraKlett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kfisherx View Post

Losing Fat Realistically:
    Fat loss is on the minds of everyone today. Even people who are ideal scale weight struggle with unsightly body fat and wish to reduce this. So what are realistic fat loss goals? Again, I turn to another person I have the extreme fortune to call a personal mentor, Alan Aragon. In his monthly Publication the AARR() Alan wrote a series of articles specifically on setting realistic muscle gain as well as fat loss expectations. He also gave detailed information on how to set up caloric and macro goals. I highly recommend a subscription to get all the details. For this article I will give my cliffs on some of the topics covered in those articles.

Alan cautions for fat loss, that individuals will lose muscle if they attempt to drop scale weight too quickly. I will add that more than losing muscle, the person will potentially also sustain injury and fail to reach their goal if they lose too quickly. Interestingly the closer you are to an ideal scale weight; the harder it is to lose fat without muscle loss, so the slower you have to go.

In order to preserve muscle as you are losing fat the following guidelines are suggested

Fat lost per month =
    Obese : 6-8%
    Moderately overweight: 4-6%
    Average: 2-4%
    Lean 1-2%
    Very lean .5-1%

So if you are an obese person weighing around 250lbs, the most you can expect to take off per month without compromising muscle is roughly 17.5lb of scale weight (4.x lbs per week). If you are lifting weights, you will probably see even less as muscle growth will occur. Likewise if you are already at ideal scale weight or lean (with barely visible abs) at 120lbs then shoot for a maximum of 1.2lb rate of loss per month. Notice how these numbers differ from the ads you see on these amazing transformation or on Biggest Loser. This is reality versus TV or some pre-arranged contest.
    I don't understand how to put this math to use to figure out how much is safe for me to lose a month while preserving muscle mass.

tlovesb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm 44 years old, stay between 119 and 123#, with a bf% of 18% (per caliper test by trainer and bodpod) or 25% per bathroom scales with bf calculator. Had set a goal of entering a figure competition the weekend of my 45th birthday. Got off track and now it is only 10 months away. My assumption was that is would be unrealistic for me to be ready to compete this November, but looking at the math on this thread I could lose 2-4% bf per month and gain 1-1.5# of muscle per month? Or is it an either or? I'm thinking I need to focus on building muscle first, then dropping bf closer to contest time?

Ciper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ciper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ciper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ciper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ciper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ciper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Re:

Thanks fir sharing ur expereince..

Ciper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ciper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ciper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ciper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ciper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ciper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    wow...thats such a good news

ang3li has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ang3li has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ang3li has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ang3li has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ang3li has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ang3li has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ang3li has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ang3li has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ang3li has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ang3li has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ang3li has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This just put everything into perspective.. I've been training for a while now and wasn't seeing slow results.. results, but slow..
    Always wanted to compete but never felt ready.. i am glad that i am human, and this slow progress is normal.. Your info really helped..

madlaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madlaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madlaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madlaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madlaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madlaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madlaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madlaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madlaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Greetings: My wife, 43, with no history of competitive sports, is about 4 months into training for her first figure competition. It is my opinion, based purely on lurking on places like here and other sites, that the vast majority of even amateur figure competitors use PEDs like Var and that my wife is who is determined to remain natural will always be at a disadvantage.

Is there any evidence to support my opinion or are most amateurs clean?

ohamanda has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ohamanda has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ohamanda has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ohamanda has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ohamanda has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ohamanda has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Fantastic!

What a fantastic read! I have only recently started my journey to transform my body and I have friends ask me how much weight I've lost. They are shocked when I tell them only a few pounds as body body has already changed from body fat loss. And when I tell them I've changedy body by lifting heavy they have a look of disgust on their faces. It's not about pounds/kilos, ladies! It's about muscle. It's about bodyfat and a lack thereof.

tfalk19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Echo814 View Post
    This is awesome and so needed on the board.

So great! Thanks for this!

aislinne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kfisherx View Post

Losing Fat Realistically:
    Fat loss is on the minds of everyone today. Even people who are ideal scale weight struggle with unsightly body fat and wish to reduce this. So what are realistic fat loss goals? Again, I turn to another person I have the extreme fortune to call a personal mentor, Alan Aragon. In his monthly Publication the AARR Alan wrote a series of articles specifically on setting realistic muscle gain as well as fat loss expectations. He also gave detailed information on how to set up caloric and macro goals. I highly recommend a subscription to get all the details. For this article I will give my cliffs on some of the topics covered in those articles.

Alan cautions for fat loss, that individuals will lose muscle if they attempt to drop scale weight too quickly. I will add that more than losing muscle, the person will potentially also sustain injury and fail to reach their goal if they lose too quickly. Interestingly the closer you are to an ideal scale weight; the harder it is to lose fat without muscle loss, so the slower you have to go.

In order to preserve muscle as you are losing fat the following guidelines are suggested

Fat lost per month =
    Obese : 6-8%
    Moderately overweight: 4-6%
    Average: 2-4%
    Lean 1-2%
    Very lean .5-1%

So if you are an obese person weighing around 250lbs, the most you can expect to take off per month without compromising muscle is roughly 17.5lb of scale weight (4.x lbs per week). If you are lifting weights, you will probably see even less as muscle growth will occur. Likewise if you are already at ideal scale weight or lean (with barely visible abs) at 120lbs then shoot for a maximum of 1.2lb rate of loss per month. Notice how these numbers differ from the ads you see on these amazing transformation or on Biggest Loser. This is reality versus TV or some pre-arranged contest.
    Thanks for posting this info. I'm not trying to transform my body in order to compete but still had an eye opener when reading this portion of your post. I was able to lose 2-3 lbs per week over the span of 6 months about a year and a half ago, but once I hit an average weight I stalled and maintained (without losing muscle) until about 5 months ago when I decided to change my routine to heavier weights/less cardio. I feel better now after reading this in knowing that the 2-3 or even 1-2 lb/wk weight loss that I had been having isn't realistic at this point.
    Last edited by aislinne; 05-29-2013 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Kiraavw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great article, thank you for putting it together

Ldonner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ldonner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ldonner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ldonner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ldonner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ldonner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ldonner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ldonner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ldonner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ldonner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ldonner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great post! Thank you!!

MuscleMuse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Very informative thread and brutal honesty which is so lacking today. I have been lifting for 8 months and have been considering a competition in another year as a 40th bday to myself. I will have to consider carefully because I will not do it unless I am in the game for real. Thx again.

Purebody07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Purebody Nutrition Extravaganza NGA Bikini, Physique & Bodybuilding Competition is in Tyler, TX once again. With guest poser Joshua Rucker, IFBB Pro wheelchair bodybuilder, here to inspire us all to get fit. Prejudging is at 10am with body's being scrutinized over by our head judge. At 6pm is Finals with music, door prizes and trophy's to our winners. Come see an entertaining night of some of the most fit all natural bodybuilders. Tickets start at $12 on our website for general seating. Tickets available at purebodynutrition.com click on bodybuilding then tickets.

Looking for a stress free amazing show! This is it Alicia Burgin, host of Purebody Nutrition Extravaganza got her degree in Stage Management and Sound Design and it helps that she is a bodybuilder as well. With a live DJ and great judges this is an amazing fast paced show! Looking for competitors it’s not too late to sign up. Go to Purebodynutrition.com and click on bodybuilding for details!

Kofuchu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kofuchu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kofuchu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kofuchu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kofuchu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kofuchu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kofuchu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kofuchu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kofuchu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kofuchu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kofuchu will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm looking at competing next year for the toned/ figure section and this was a huge help! I love training and everything that comes with it and it's great to see so many other women involved here!
    Pain is temporary, Pride is forever.

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    A bit off topic but...

what happened to kfisherx?
    Follow my 2018 competition prep here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175566421&p=1547462721#post1547462721

Jessicozmic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

I don't intend to compete, but I really enjoyed reading this article and the links. Even if you're not intending to show, you can still get in hot water by setting your expectations too high. I'm all for aiming for the stars, but I have to put in the time! Sometimes we forget that. :-)

*edited for redundancy.

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I am so going to compete next year...
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175566421&p=1547462721#post1547462721

tomuchsass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomuchsass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomuchsass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomuchsass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomuchsass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomuchsass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomuchsass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomuchsass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomuchsass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomuchsass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomuchsass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Great realistic info

I've been starting to train to compete but people ask me when? I just say "some day". I hear about girls from my gym or people in general "training" for 90 days and they sign up to compete. It baffles me. I loved reading your advice and truth because I keep telling myself, "there is no way I will be competition ready in even a year, how are these people saying 3-6 months". I have goals with my physique including lowering my body fat and building muscle to a specific level that I don't see happening quickly. It's a work in progress. Just have to say I'm glad I read this to help me build more realistic goals.

kabirmkta1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    awesome good going

allybuddy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank goodness for this post. I am currently at 142 with 24.5% bf, that's the lowest bf I have ever been. I try not to pay attention to the scale because it freaks me out when I see the number go up. This usually leads me to go into full cardio mode as a result I loose 6lb in one week and along with it goes my hard earned muscle. According to the post I should be able to loose 2-3lbs of body fat monthly all while keeping my muscle. Very informative article thanks for posting!!!

KimberlyElle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Thinking of competing in Bikini comp March 29th

Hi! My name is Kim and I'm new to the forum. I'm 24 and have played competitive sports my entire life. I have also been very conscious of my nutrition for the past few years. I have just recently gotten serious about weight training (6x a week since Jan) in an effort to fill the void of varsity sport since finishing university. I have noticed quick changes and am very happy about my progress.

My question is I'm thinking about competing in an OPA Bikini comp on March 29th. Is this a realistic goal for me? If I compete I want to at least have the potential to do well (I don't just want to compete for the sake of it). I am 5'9 and roughly 135lbs. I have attached two recent pics. If anyone could give me feedback it would be much appreciated.
    Attached Images

Originally Posted by KimberlyElle View Post
    Hi! My name is Kim and I'm new to the forum. I'm 24 and have played competitive sports my entire life. I have also been very conscious of my nutrition for the past few years. I have just recently gotten serious about weight training (6x a week since Jan) in an effort to fill the void of varsity sport since finishing university. I have noticed quick changes and am very happy about my progress.

My question is I'm thinking about competing in an OPA Bikini comp on March 29th. Is this a realistic goal for me? If I compete I want to at least have the potential to do well (I don't just want to compete for the sake of it). I am 5'9 and roughly 135lbs. I have attached two recent pics. If anyone could give me feedback it would be much appreciated.
    My personal suggestion to you is to look at winners of past shows and compare their physique to yours. In particular look at their muscle mass and compare to yours, especially while keeping in mind that you will be dieting down and therefore will be smaller than you are now. Then take it from there.

Registered User autumnarmstrong's Avatar
    autumnarmstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    good read

foxxymom29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Question? I have been working with a trainer and hoping to get to 14% BF by competition. I am 5'9. I am working towards figure, and now need to decide if I want to go NPC or NGA. I competed in amature and then open and masters and placed OK. I train all natural, with minimal supplements. Any ideas for either organization or training, nutrition etc are welcome!

CHILDOFGO12 is just really nice. (+1000) CHILDOFGO12 is just really nice. (+1000) CHILDOFGO12 is just really nice. (+1000) CHILDOFGO12 is just really nice. (+1000) CHILDOFGO12 is just really nice. (+1000) CHILDOFGO12 is just really nice. (+1000) CHILDOFGO12 is just really nice. (+1000) CHILDOFGO12 is just really nice. (+1000) CHILDOFGO12 is just really nice. (+1000) CHILDOFGO12 is just really nice. (+1000) CHILDOFGO12 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by foxxymom29 View Post
    Question? I have been working with a trainer and hoping to get to 14% BF by competition. I am 5'9. I am working towards figure, and now need to decide if I want to go NPC or NGA. I competed in amature and then open and masters and placed OK. I train all natural, with minimal supplements. Any ideas for either organization or training, nutrition etc are welcome!
    i compete n the NPC and i am all natty, and do fine. my hubby helps me with my diet and i jog, which i find helps me lose my bf, greatly, yet i have to drop my carbs to a point and then add them back in, to lose more bf. it all depends on ur diet mainly
    JESUS LIVES FOREVER!!!

Originally Posted by CHILDOFGO12 View Post
    i compete n the NPC and i am all natty, and do fine. my hubby helps me with my diet and i jog, which i find helps me lose my bf, greatly, yet i have to drop my carbs to a point and then add them back in, to lose more bf. it all depends on ur diet mainly
    I'd say it depends on the show, the more competitive the show is, the least likely a natty competitor is to place.

CHILDOFGO12 is just really nice. (+1000) CHILDOFGO12 is just really nice. (+1000) CHILDOFGO12 is just really nice. (+1000) CHILDOFGO12 is just really nice. (+1000) CHILDOFGO12 is just really nice. (+1000) CHILDOFGO12 is just really nice. (+1000) CHILDOFGO12 is just really nice. (+1000) CHILDOFGO12 is just really nice. (+1000) CHILDOFGO12 is just really nice. (+1000) CHILDOFGO12 is just really nice. (+1000) CHILDOFGO12 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by sy2502 View Post
    I'd say it depends on the show, the more competitive the show is, the least likely a natty competitor is to place.
    well i have done over 17 shows. and i've placed well n all
    JESUS LIVES FOREVER!!!

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by CHILDOFGO12 View Post
    well i have done over 17 shows. and i've placed well n all
    That's funny because in another thread you said you did 2 shows in 2012 and didn't do very well. If you've done over 17 shows where are all your comp photos? I actually went to check out your profile, because I like to look at member's competition pics but I didn't find any, just a few random progress pics.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    That's funny because in another thread you said you did 2 shows in 2012 and didn't do very well. If you've done over 17 shows where are all your comp photos? I actually went to check out your profile, because I like to look at member's competition pics but I didn't find any, just a few random progress pics.
    U can please go to RXMUSCLE.COM. to see my contest pics from '12 and if u also please, look at my progress, u'll see a pic of me with my Blessin'
    JESUS LIVES FOREVER!!!