hai have an infraction The-Adept's Avatar
    The-Adept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The-Adept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The-Adept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The-Adept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The-Adept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The-Adept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The-Adept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The-Adept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The-Adept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The-Adept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The-Adept is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

What is the difference with bushings/bearings?

I'm looking at purchasing a new bar, I want an Olympic bar with the ends that spin, Is that called bearing? Could someone fill me in
    "i havent realy no much about steroids but then agan i dont wana be a sientist!!!!!"-Harryhardocre

I'd **** snookie as she is sometimes. She is just so ****ing stupid and crazy that sometimes I just would do her. If she wasn't a hilarious clown then I wouldn't want to. -tential

vic84875 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vic84875 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vic84875 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vic84875 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vic84875 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vic84875 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vic84875 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vic84875 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vic84875 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vic84875 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vic84875 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    What is the difference with bushings/bearings?

They are different mechanical parts or mechanical mechanisms. Either one will spin.

Bearings; will give you a smoother movement. Choose bearing; if you can afford it.

But, honestly, is not really necessary if you do not do olympic movements in your routine. Just Bushing it is fine for bodybuilding, or regular strenght training.

The-Adept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The-Adept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The-Adept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The-Adept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The-Adept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The-Adept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The-Adept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The-Adept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The-Adept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The-Adept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The-Adept is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I do Olympic lifts, can you recommend any brands that are around the 4-5 hundred dollar range? I can't afford a $1200 Ivanko
    "i havent realy no much about steroids but then agan i dont wana be a sientist!!!!!"-Harryhardocre

I'd **** snookie as she is sometimes. She is just so ****ing stupid and crazy that sometimes I just would do her. If she wasn't a hilarious clown then I wouldn't want to. -tential

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by The-Adept View Post
    I do Olympic lifts, can you recommend any brands that are around the 4-5 hundred dollar range? I can't afford a $1200 Ivanko
    Pendlay Nexgen

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Bushings and bearings are 2 different ways of letting the sleeve spin freely by reducing friction.

This is a bushing;

They can be plastic (usually nylon) or a soft metal like bronze. Simple how they work, put something with low friction between two moving parts.

This is a bearing;

It uses moving balls or rollers to reduce friction. However not all bearings are equal when it comes to bars. Pictured above is a ball bearing, a very bad choice for a barbell, they are cheap however and often used in conjunction with bushings. They aren't designed to take high radial load so can/will deform and seize up. What you ideally want are needle bearings;

These are capable of suffering huge radial loads which ball bearings suck at. However they are comparatively very expensive for a good needle bearing. Cheap needle bearings are as bad a ball bearings, the needle rollers are pretty delicate pieces of engineering and poorly made ones will break down.

So which is better? A good impregnated bronze bushing can spin almost as well as a good needle bearing bar, and certainly better than a cheap bearing bar. Bushings are also substantially more durable and require much less maintenance than a bearing as they have no moving parts, only very well engineered needle bearings will last as long but will require regular oiling.
    It's not as clear cut as a bearing bar is always better than a bushing bar. You can certainly perform the lifts perfectly well on a decent bushing bar.

I'm not too familiar with your guy's market but for olympic lifts;
    the Pendlay nexgen sounds awesome.

York also make a needle bearing bar that used to be IWF approved for $550 (has needle bearings) or a training bar for $385 (has bushings);

http://www.roguefitness.com/york-com...ining-bars.php

You could probably get these cheaper elsewhere or buying from York direct and getting crossfit discount.

These guys sell a USA made Chapman bar that is by all accounts excellent;
    http://malmgrenheavyweights.web.offi...ilpricing.aspx
    but is $580
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 22

Wow Essex that is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks a million man that's perfect.

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Essex, that was a really good post.

I'm going to cut and paste it to the barbell thread if you don't mind. That is information that shouldn't get buried or be too hard to find.

Please rep Essex.....
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by The-Adept View Post
    Wow Essex that is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks a million man that's perfect.
    If you really like Ivanko bars you can step down to their Black Oxide OB-20 KG for an MSRP of $650, you just lose the stainless Steel I believe everything else is the same.

http://ivankobarbell.com/Product/ob20kg.htm

(This is actually my dream bar)

An Eleiko would be $779:

http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/products/elbars.htm
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Registered User IvankoBarbellCo's Avatar
    IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Essexlad View Post
    A good impregnated bronze bushing can spin almost as well as a good needle bearing bar, and certainly better than a cheap bearing bar. Bushings are also substantially more durable and require much less maintenance than a bearing as they have no moving parts, only very well engineered needle bearings will last as long but will require regular oiling.
    It's not as clear cut as a bearing bar is always better than a bushing bar. You can certainly perform the lifts perfectly well on a decent bushing bar.
    I'm mainly in agreement here with the above & the comment by Vic. Put bluntly: bearings for Olympic bars are mainly hype. It's marketing. You make a good bar with good bushings and respect tolerances and you don't need the other. I think you're spot on when you suggest (or at least imply) that a bearing bar is compensation for a less than well-made bar with bushings. My only quibble might be that the necessity to oil, regularly, certain high-end bearings.

Vinko
    ()---() York Barbell Club #50 ()---()

Ivanko Barbell Company
    official website: www.ivankobarbell.com

View: //www.instagram.com/ivankobarbell
    Join: //www.********.com/ivankobarbell
    Follow: //www.twitter.com/ivankobarbell
    Watch: //www.youtube.com/ivankobarbell
    Newsletter: http://www.ivankobarbell.com/contact.html

justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    As an add-on to this question...

How much free spin should one expect to observe on a typical bushing-style olympic sleeve? My bar is rather generic; it was sold with the rubber coated Body-Solid plate set. Each end can spin about one full rotation before stopping. Would it be worthwhile to purchase a 12mm hex key, remove the sleeves, and apply teflon grease? Or would the lubricant effect be negligible?

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Essexlad View Post

These guys sell a USA made Chapman bar that is by all accounts excellent;
    http://malmgrenheavyweights.web.offi...ilpricing.aspx
    but is $580
    I think this is an old link. I think Malmgren is no longer in business.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by keyboardworkout View Post
    I think this is an old link. I think Malmgren is no longer in business.
    well the post is two years old
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Haha, yeah, sorry for the necro post. I don't like to unnecessarily make new threads.

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post
    well the post is two years old
    I got all excited looking for a Chapman bar. :-)
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by keyboardworkout View Post
    I got all excited looking for a Chapman bar. :-)
    I know that feel (not for a Chapman bar, but finding info on something)
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by justinluck View Post

How much free spin should one expect to observe on a typical bushing-style olympic sleeve? My bar is rather generic; it was sold with the rubber coated Body-Solid plate set. Each end can spin about one full rotation before stopping. Would it be worthwhile to purchase a 12mm hex key, remove the sleeves, and apply teflon grease? Or would the lubricant effect be negligible?
    Essentially, any bar with a hex nut is not a bar to do Olympic lifts on. If you want a bar with moderate spin, any "decent" bar should suffice. If you want good spin, the Pendlay is an excellent choice, though you can certainly spend more if you choose.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz

I would expect more free spin than that, though, free spin is not a good indicator of the amount of friction actually happening.

My cheap generic bars actually spin pretty well, granted there is enough play in the ends that I suspect this is really from little to no real metal to metal contact to cause friction, they also lack any real bushing.

My better bar turns very easily and very smoothly with no wiggle room. It doesn't have a ton of free spin though several seconds is all.

YOu bar isn't all that high a quality so I wouldn't expect to much.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

If the bar has bushings and you can take it apart, do so. Clean out any grease or dirt and replace it with 3in1 oil, which is very thin and is best to float the bearings and give you the best spin. If your bar is truly cheap, it will not have bushings and you'll be $hit out of luck. Good luck.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

Haha, yes it is a gamble if my bar has bushings. The sleeves do have some play, so that might not be a good sign. The reason I mentioned teflon grease was because it was recommended in this video.

They claim the grease doesn't collect dirt as quickly as oil and it withstands higher pressures. Although, I didn't see enough demonstration of the sleeve spinning when they were done.

twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Haha, yes it is a gamble if my bar has bushings. The sleeves do have some play, so that might not be a good sign. The reason I mentioned teflon grease was because it was recommended in this video.

They claim the grease doesn't collect dirt as quickly as oil and it withstands higher pressures. Although, I didn't see enough demonstration of the sleeve spinning when they were done.
    I usually don't argue with the logic of cross fitters since they feel like they have reinvented the wheel, but here goes...

1) grease not only collects dirt just as quicly, but is less likely to release it, ie. you can flush out dirty oil with clean oil, you need to remove bad grease completely to get it clean again.

2) Oil has a much lower viscosity, there by allowing much less drag, between the bearing,and the bar, than grease does.

3) Olympic lifters, who depend upon the spin of the bar, have been using lightweight oil (such as 3in1) for years.

The only downside to oil, is that since it's thin it needs to be replaced occasionally, but all you need is a drop or two.

Realistically, the guy in the video uses grease because it's overall the best use for a business where the bars are abused, they don't want to do upkeep until a bar stops completely. At 4:08 he mentions that oil will cause a better spin. Ignore the comment about dealing with high pressures as he is talking out of his a$$.
    Last edited by twodog; 11-19-2013 at 08:23 AM.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by twodog View Post
    I usually don't argue with the logic of cross fitters since they feel like they have reinvented the wheel, but here goes...
    Troublemaker....

[]---[] Equipment crew member #51 []---[]

Originally Posted by deadwoodgregg View Post
    Troublemaker....

You caught that, huh ? Lol. Great GIF btw, I'd rep you but... you know know the deal.