andrew9450 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Do you think I have potential for D1 College Football?

Hi, my name is Andrew. I am 14, and just finished my second year of football. This was my first year starting on the freshman team, and I did a decent job for having no game experience. My position was left tackle, however I am going to be transitioning to Guard instead because of my height. Here are my stats..

Bench Press: 230lbs
    Squat: Between 270-285lbs(I move up in weight each week so it will be constantly be increasing)
    Deadlift: 360lbs
    40: 5.9(On an inaccurate field, but I am probably faster now)
    Bodyweight: 220-225lbs
    Height: 5'11"-6'0"

I lift the entire off-season and will be attending a speed training sessions starting next month up until august. My goal is to be the first backup O lineman on Varsity, and start both sides of the ball on JV as a sophomore. I then am aiming to start Varsity my Junior and Senior years.

Do you guys think I have potential for D1 College Football as a guard? I am benching, deadlifting, and squatting more than all the seniors on my football team, which is ridiculously good. By my senior year, I will be benching at least 400lbs.

patriotsfan8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patriotsfan8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patriotsfan8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patriotsfan8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by andrew9450 View Post
    Squat: Between 270-285lbs(I move up in weight each week so it will be constantly be increasing)
    increasing every week? thats very bad. Post a video of you squatting, because when i squat, I dont increase 5/10 lbs per week
    you should slow that down

Your size is good for your age, but look at your parents, and expect to be a bit taller than your father if his nutrition wasnt as good as yours when he was your age. You will be that big when your fully developed.

I lift the entire off-season and will be attending a speed training sessions starting next month up until august.
    Your a lineman, what do you need that much speed training for? I say bulk and stay with power lifting, learn how to power clean if you dont know how to already, and get your shuffles quicker, practice that type of stuff

My goal is to be the first backup O lineman on Varsity
    if you plan to be a backup, you will be third string, or will be cut. Go into every practice, day, game as if your a starting lineman, you will absorb more information, maknig you a better player. Its like school, you only listen to what you need to know. if you think your a backup, your gonna think that the starting stuff is not your business. Always aim higher.
    , and start both sides of the ball on JV as a sophomore. I then am aiming to start Varsity my Junior and Senior years.

Do you guys think I have potential for D1 College Football as a guard? I am benching, deadlifting, and squatting more than all the seniors on my football team, which is ridiculously good. By my senior year, I will be benching at least 400lbs.
    your statistics do not make your chances, your skill does. Your size only gives you an advantage. You want to know what your QB or RB likes during the play, you need to know what to do in a situation such as a June Blitz, you need to know as much as the starting lineman. b/dl/sq more than the seniors on your team does not matter. You need to know better CHEMISTRY. Talk to your coach about this, even if he thinks your going to be a backup this yaer. He will love to help you out. Youll get a lot of tips from him. Suck the information out of all the starting lineman to learn what type of playing style your big 5 like to do together, whether a push and pull, or a simple dropback in pass blocking. You look like your going in the right direction if you stop worrying about the numbers, and start worrying about technique. Numbers help ones technique.

Rep back if you think i helped

awahl63 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) awahl63 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) awahl63 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) awahl63 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) awahl63 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) awahl63 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) awahl63 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) awahl63 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) awahl63 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) awahl63 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) awahl63 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    40 is most important...get that sh*t up
    Ron Paul 2012

5k+

Originally Posted by awahl63 View Post
    40 is most important...get that sh*t up
    Yeah, once my friend is out of wrestling we are both going to speed training. It isn't just speed, it is overall athleticism (plyometrics, agility, linear speed). I am going to try and make it to the morning class tomorrow for speed training just to try it out. Also, my 40 may be more or less, it was on an estimated field. I also want to add that I can do a pullup @ my bodyweight.

PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by patriotsfan8 View Post
    increasing every week? thats very bad. Post a video of you squatting, because when i squat, I dont increase 5/10 lbs per week
    you should slow that down

Increasing every week is good. You don't increase every week because you're on 5/3/1, which is a slow moving program.

Your size is good for your age, but look at your parents, and expect to be a bit taller than your father if his nutrition wasnt as good as yours when he was your age. You will be that big when your fully developed.

I know 6'5" kids whose parents are 5'8" each. Height is very hard to predict.

Your a lineman, what do you need that much speed training for? I say bulk and stay with power lifting, learn how to power clean if you dont know how to already, and get your shuffles quicker, practice that type of stuff

Speed kills. I'd pick a big and fast pulling guard over a big and strong one almost every time.

if you plan to be a backup, you will be third string, or will be cut. Go into every practice, day, game as if your a starting lineman, you will absorb more information, maknig you a better player. Its like school, you only listen to what you need to know. if you think your a backup, your gonna think that the starting stuff is not your business. Always aim higher.
    , and start both sides of the ball on JV as a sophomore. I then am aiming to start Varsity my Junior and Senior years.

This I kind of agree with, shoot to be the starter, if you fail you'll be 2nd string.

your statistics do not make your chances, your skill does. Your size only gives you an advantage. You want to know what your QB or RB likes during the play, you need to know what to do in a situation such as a June Blitz, you need to know as much as the starting lineman. b/dl/sq more than the seniors on your team does not matter. You need to know better CHEMISTRY. Talk to your coach about this, even if he thinks your going to be a backup this yaer. He will love to help you out. Youll get a lot of tips from him. Suck the information out of all the starting lineman to learn what type of playing style your big 5 like to do together, whether a push and pull, or a simple dropback in pass blocking. You look like your going in the right direction if you stop worrying about the numbers, and start worrying about technique. Numbers help ones technique.

I agree again, 40 times and bench maxes are overrated. Strong legs, quickness, technique, and playing with anger will help you kick ass.
    My resoponses are bolded

Originally Posted by PCFootball24 View Post
    My resoponses are bolded
    Only reason that I said I am not shooting to be the starter is because 4 of 5 O lineman are coming back for another season. The fifth one quit due to an issue with the coach. My team has been torn apart because of this coach, more than 10 kids quit. The coach was finally fired, so all the kids who weren't seniors are coming back. It is doubtful that I will start this year because of their experience vs mine, however someone will get injured. Which I why I want to be the first backup so I get a few starts in, which will be good experience for my Junior and Senior years where the coaches look at me as the veteran. I agree with the bench max being overrated, because leg strength is most important as an offensive lineman, however I don't agree with the 40 time being overrated. Speed is everything. It makes up for the strength or mass you don't have.

JourneymanDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) JourneymanDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) JourneymanDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) JourneymanDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) JourneymanDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) JourneymanDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) JourneymanDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) JourneymanDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) JourneymanDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) JourneymanDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) JourneymanDave will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    your statistics do not make your chances, your skill does. Your size only gives you an advantage.
    You look like your going in the right direction if you stop worrying about the numbers, and start worrying about technique. Numbers help ones technique.

This...

Played at the D1 level, hopefully my perspective is still accurate for current conditions. There are lots of big, strong linemen in D1; in fact pretty much all of them. Technique and willpower are the major differentiators, in my observation. Keep working out hard, but that'll just keep you even with your competitors. But don't neglect technique, it's so critical.

And learn to hold

Originally Posted by JourneymanDave View Post
    This...

Played at the D1 level, hopefully my perspective is still accurate for current conditions. There are lots of big, strong linemen in D1; in fact pretty much all of them. Technique and willpower are the major differentiators, in my observation. Keep working out hard, but that'll just keep you even with your competitors. But don't neglect technique, it's so critical.

And learn to hold
    Yes, every year we go over technique before the season at "spring practice" for multiple weeks. I always make sure I don't miss one of those practices.

And yeah, grab the shoulder pads inside of the arms, the refs can't call that ^_^

Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just remember that speed is everything..no matter the level HS/college/pros there are plenty others that will have the same size as you and strength(if not bigger) one of the best ways to be noticed is speed and quickness and tbh iff you arent pushing 300 lbs and 6'2 atleast you most likely arent playing O-line on a d1 team youll be playing defense so get that speed up.

B1RD33 is not very well liked. (-100) B1RD33 is not very well liked. (-100) B1RD33 is not very well liked. (-100) B1RD33 is not very well liked. (-100) B1RD33 is not very well liked. (-100) B1RD33 is not very well liked. (-100) B1RD33 is not very well liked. (-100) B1RD33 is not very well liked. (-100) B1RD33 is not very well liked. (-100) B1RD33 is not very well liked. (-100) B1RD33 is not very well liked. (-100)

b1rd[8]

Hi, my name is Andrew. I am 14, and just finished my second year of football. This was my first year starting on the freshman team, and I did a decent job for having no game experience. My position was left tackle, however I am going to be transitioning to Guard instead because of my height. Here are my stats..

I lift the entire off-season and will be attending a speed training sessions starting next month up until august. My goal is to be the first backup O lineman on Varsity, and start both sides of the ball on JV as a sophomore. I then am aiming to start Varsity my Junior and Senior years.

Sup man, I tell everyone this with any contact sport, it is really how much you will give up to get there? Are you going to skip parties to work on what you need at Tkl or Grd? You need to be able to get hit non-stop and keep going.[I'd suggest boxing for footwork and it toughens you up] I have friends playing D-1 college ball and the coaches DO not care how talented you are if you can not take a hit or move around in what position you are playing than you might make the team but sit the bench like most of my friends who play D-1 and D-2 ball. Just have more heart and drive and leave no room for doubt in your mind that you can.

Best of luck
    <X>B1RD33<X>

Don't use steroids!

blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by B1RD33 View Post
    Sup man, I tell everyone this with any contact sport, it is really how much you will give up to get there? Are you going to skip parties to work on what you need at Tkl or Grd? You need to be able to get hit non-stop and keep going.[I'd suggest boxing for footwork and it toughens you up] I have friends playing D-1 college ball and the coaches DO not care how talented you are if you can not take a hit or move around in what position you are playing than you might make the team but sit the bench like most of my friends who play D-1 and D-2 ball. Just have more heart and drive and leave no room for doubt in your mind that you can.

Best of luck
    My take on the situation is if you want to play D-1 ball, you are going to have to get crazy in your training. I played D-3 college ball as a fullback/running back. In high school I was squating 425 before my senior year, benching about 285-300, Clean 225, and Snatch about 185-200. I was 5'10, 215lbs. I got no offers from anything other than crappy D-2 schools and D-3 school. The school I went to is one of the better D-3 schools in the country (never won a nat. champ, but we were always ranked in the top 10). The key is that if you want to be a solid D-1 prospect at lineman, you have to get bigger. I'd say 250 minimum (but this is just me). You have to realize that D-1 Prospects Usually have easy All-State Honors, though there's no requirement or anything like that for this.

Regardless, you have got to get your weight up, and your strength. Learn to play the position well, and don't learn to play "well enough." Eat, sleep, and think football. Get crazy with your diet and workout routine (and by crazy I mean passionate and do the best you can possibly do).

Another thing to consider as well, is what do you want to do in college. If you honestly think that you can go onto a D-1 team and get significant playing time when the time comes to choose a school, then by all means. But if you're like me, You don't want to spend you're entire time busting your butt to ride the bench for 4 years. That's why I went to teh school that I did. It was a very good D-3 team and I felt that I could play, and I did get bumped up to starter toward the end of my freshman year. So you really need to consider why you want to play D-1 ball. Do you want to play D-1 ball to say that you played D-1 Ball, or do you want to actually PLAY football for a D-1 school, meaning that you get playing time and are a starter. I personally wouldn't be so concerned with what kind of football program I go to, but I would rather go to a D-1AA or D-2 or something where I will get the chance to play.

So don't be discouraged. Whatever level of college football you decide to play will be fun. Don't let the size and notoriety of D-1 ball influence you to make a decision that you may not like in the future. I would say just bust your butt for the next three years and evaluate your situation. It's tough to really give you any meaningful advice considering we've never seen you play and the only thing we have to go from are your stats.

And in echoing an above poster, learn to hold without getting caught. I was a fullback in high school so I did a lot of blocking, and depending on the color of the teams jersey, I would wear certain colors of tape on my hands. If we were away and were playing a team that had dark uniforms, I'd put black tape on my hands, and white tape when we were playing home games. The colors make it harder for the refs to see if you're acutally holding
    We fight til no one can fight us
    We live, and no one can stop us
    We pull but we're pushed too far
    And the advantage is, The bottom line is,
    We never had to fight in the first place,
    We only had to spit back in their face,
    We won't walk alone any longer,
    What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.

blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yes, every year we go over technique before the season at "spring practice" for multiple weeks. I always make sure I don't miss one of those practices.

And yeah, grab the shoulder pads inside of the arms, the refs can't call that ^_^
    My technique was to to this, then shove up on the pads. I could go up against a huge lineman and get "all up in his grill" and push him around wherever I wanted. Leverage is key when you're blocking. Get under the pads, shove up and start driving the legs. I'd recommend doing some power cleans, snatches and close grip bench to help with this. It's a great way to get those defenders out of the way
    We fight til no one can fight us
    We live, and no one can stop us
    We pull but we're pushed too far
    And the advantage is, The bottom line is,
    We never had to fight in the first place,
    We only had to spit back in their face,
    We won't walk alone any longer,
    What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.

patriotsfan8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patriotsfan8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patriotsfan8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patriotsfan8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by PCFootball24 View Post
    My resoponses are bolded
    when I was talking abuot the height, I was talking about the nutrition, my father is 5'9-5'10 whereas i am 6'3.5 at 17. He did not have the nutrition I had when he was young; thus giving me his genetics, as well as the nutrition.

I am aware speed is a major factor, but what I'm trying to say is don't work on speed for like 5 momnths, spend a good 4 months bulking and getting stronger, nad spend the rest on speed, getting more lean, and your chem in the sport

when I was talking abuot the height, I was talking about the nutrition, my father is 5'9-5'10 whereas i am 6'3.5 at 17. He did not have the nutrition I had when he was young; thus giving me his genetics, as well as the nutrition.

I am aware speed is a major factor, but what I'm trying to say is don't work on speed for like 5 momnths, spend a good 4 months bulking and getting stronger, nad spend the rest on speed, getting more lean, and your chem in the sport
    My dad is 6'3", however my mom is like 5'1". My nutrition is great, lots of vitamins, carbs, healthy fats, and protein. Only "cheat" foods I eat are pork fried rice(which is a great protein source, but has white carbs), and icecream once a month or less. I am going to be working on my speed a lot this year, then dedicate my Junior and Senior years to really putting on weight. I am doing strength training though, my genetics for putting on muscle are extremely good being an ectomorph. I put on muscle faster than anyone else on my team, and I have gained around 25lbs of lean muscle in the year and eight months I have been lifting.

My dad is 6'3", however my mom is like 5'1". My nutrition is great, lots of vitamins, carbs, healthy fats, and protein. Only "cheat" foods I eat are pork fried rice(which is a great protein source, but has white carbs), and icecream once a month or less. I am going to be working on my speed a lot this year, then dedicate my Junior and Senior years to really putting on weight. I am doing strength training though, my genetics for putting on muscle are extremely good being an ectomorph. I put on muscle faster than anyone else on my team, and I have gained around 25lbs of lean muscle in the year and eight months I have been lifting.
    thats good, youll project to be around your dads height by the time your 17
    now if I were you, try to hit 235-240 by next season, you can work on speed too, but if you focus on taht instead of doing that while you work out, youll get better results because theres less things to focus on, and your training is narrowed. Thats what I like to do and it helps

Rugger w/ a throwing prob xxtwistedxx's Avatar
    xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Gonna skip the nonsense and be blunt. A d1 recruited that's looking for o-lineman will look at stats first. Height and weight. If you stay at 6' and 220 better start looking to fullback or linebacker. But your speed is garbage. 5.9 is incredibly slow for any position.

You're young so you got time to train but fom where you're starting to where you need to be were talking life = football. Forget friends, social, work, money you won't have any. All your time will be on the field or in the gym. Your friends will be out drinking or partying and you'll be too tired to move and know full well you gotta get up the next day and beat the hell out of yourself all over again. Not to mention schools hate dumbasses. At bare minimum your cumm gpa should be over 3.0 and shoot for a 24+ on the ACT.

Last bit of advice is play some other sports. Don't become one dimensional. Wrestling helps with mental toughness, stability, and conditioning. Track depending on the event will help speed, power, and footwork. My old coach said it best when he played ball in college;
    "Every scholarship athlete that started on that team was a state champ in something else."

Originally Posted by xxtwistedxx View Post
    Gonna skip the nonsense and be blunt. A d1 recruited that's looking for o-lineman will look at stats first. Height and weight. If you stay at 6' and 220 better start looking to fullback or linebacker. But your speed is garbage. 5.9 is incredibly slow for any position.

You're young so you got time to train but fom where you're starting to where you need to be were talking life = football. Forget friends, social, work, money you won't have any. All your time will be on the field or in the gym. Your friends will be out drinking or partying and you'll be too tired to move and know full well you gotta get up the next day and beat the hell out of yourself all over again. Not to mention schools hate dumbasses. At bare minimum your cumm gpa should be over 3.0 and shoot for a 24+ on the ACT.

Last bit of advice is play some other sports. Don't become one dimensional. Wrestling helps with mental toughness, stability, and conditioning. Track depending on the event will help speed, power, and footwork. My old coach said it best when he played ball in college;
    "Every scholarship athlete that started on that team was a state champ in something else."
    My gpa is 3.97, and I am in 3 honors classes. 5.9 is a very, very, rough number because I did it after a leg workout on a practice field with estimated painted lines. I am much faster than anyone else that is my weight on my football team, so the # is probably not correct. I did the 40 previously on 1/3rd of a soccer field and got 5.36. My weight is slowly increasing, I am hoping to be 235 by the start of the season. I don't play any other sports, however my school might be making a powerlifting team, which I will sign up for in a heartbeat. I do cardio, lift, and soon speed training all on the offseason. I never missed a single day of lifting last year, and am the most dedicated person on the team.

Registered User OLDFitnessBlitz's Avatar
    OLDFitnessBlitz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

If you have to ask a forum if you have what it takes to play division 1 football, then no, you dont.

Self confidence is necessary to play sports, regardless of what level. Get real. You are going to come to a bodybuilding site to ask if you have what it takes to play a team sport? Thats a joke in itself.

Anybody can become a successful athlete provided they take the necessary steps. You dont need to ask, you just need to work your ass off and change your attitude. Lets start with building an internal belief that you are capable first, rather than relying on a bunch of 20 some year olds to verify your capabilities over the web.

Get real. Do you have what it takes? Only you can answer that.