DeronD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeronD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeronD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeronD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeronD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeronD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeronD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is newer equipment feel heavier?

Help me out guys,

I just switched to a new gym and they have significantly newer equipment than the gym I was previously in. I've found a lot of the weights I was doing on pulley machines at the old gym, I can't quite lift at the new gym. Is this normal? Is it possibly a different weight? Or is it maybe a slightly different angle? Does "broken in" equipment move more easily? Or is it possible that I'm not mentally comfortable in the new gym and not lifting the same? Thoughts?

Thanks for your input,
    Deron
    Portland, OR
    Life Goals:
    1. Get yoked.
    2. Die.

...50% isn't so bad.

Dave1958 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dave1958 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dave1958 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dave1958 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dave1958 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dave1958 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dave1958 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dave1958 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dave1958 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dave1958 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dave1958 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The weights I have at home are 10% lighter than the one in the gym for some reason. Some different manufacturers also use different levers on the cables that would give a different "feel" to the weight lifted. However, your body doesnt know lbs, just challenge. So, make sure you use a challenging weight, your body should make significant gains if it detects challenge. Have fun and grow.

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by DeronD View Post
    Help me out guys,

I just switched to a new gym and they have significantly newer equipment than the gym I was previously in. I've found a lot of the weights I was doing on pulley machines at the old gym, I can't quite lift at the new gym. Is this normal? Is it possibly a different weight? Or is it maybe a slightly different angle? Does "broken in" equipment move more easily? Or is it possible that I'm not mentally comfortable in the new gym and not lifting the same? Thoughts?

Thanks for your input,
    Deron
    Portland, OR
    There are a lot of different factors that make some weights feel heavier, machines and stations especially.

Older equipment can feel different from new. How worn the bearings, cables, etc are have an impact on how a machine feels. If you are using a different brand then there can be different angles, mechanical advantage ratios, etc. They may have even upgraded the materials they use. Each company tends to revamp their stuff every few years, typically making them feel a bit different.

krott5333 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) krott5333 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) krott5333 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) krott5333 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) krott5333 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) krott5333 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) krott5333 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) krott5333 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) krott5333 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) krott5333 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) krott5333 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The amount of pulleys on a machine will also affect the end result in resistance. But as someone else said, worry less about numbers and more about pushing the limit every time.
    Getting swole, one day at a time.

DeronD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeronD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeronD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeronD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeronD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeronD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeronD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

In other words...

Shut the f*** up and train? Sounds good to me!
    Life Goals:
    1. Get yoked.
    2. Die.

...50% isn't so bad.

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I did forget to add that cables stretch over time. This is why it's necessary to tighten or re-adjust the cables mover time. The amount of stretch in a cable can give the feeling that a weight is heavier than it is.

Originally Posted by krott5333 View Post
    The amount of pulleys on a machine will also affect the end result in resistance. But as someone else said, worry less about numbers and more about pushing the limit every time.
    It's very important to know what those numbers are if you intend to push yourself. If you're working out with a high degree of intensity then 2lbs can make a big difference in what you are doing. Understanding the science and paying attention to the numbers is every bit as important as pushing yourself.