DLuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bikini Competition After Baby

Hi Everyone,
    I was just wondering if people think it is realistic to compete in a bikini competition 6 months after having a baby. Do you think that is enough time to train? Thanks for your opinions

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Unrealistic and unnecessary pressure, IMO.

You have many years to compete, why go into dieting and a rigid training schedule when you could put that energy towards nursing and spending time getting a decent night's rest or a walk with the baby in a stroller. Not to mention letting your body recover after a long pregnancy and any physical complications from that.

I'm not saying it can't be done (it can) but I don't see what the rush is. Dieting and rigid training is hard enough when you aren't up with a baby all night. I have a 3 month old - there are days where his needs just have to come before training, or he has a growth spurt and I need to eat extra calories to accomodate it.

DLuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by sonti View Post
    Unrealistic and unnecessary pressure, IMO.

You have many years to compete, why go into dieting and a rigid training schedule when you could put that energy towards nursing and spending time getting a decent night's rest or a walk with the baby in a stroller. Not to mention letting your body recover after a long pregnancy and any physical complications from that.

I'm not saying it can't be done (it can) but I don't see what the rush is. Dieting and rigid training is hard enough when you aren't up with a baby all night. I have a 3 month old - there are days where his needs just have to come before training, or he has a growth spurt and I need to eat extra calories to accomodate it.
    Thanks for your input. Mostly I was hoping to compete in October and then try for baby number 2. I haven't totally ruled it out yet, but will for sure take into consideration what you've said.

born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    As a mom of many and a PT I advise against it. It takes 9 (technically 10) months to create a baby, your body needs time to heal, at least double the amount of time it took to grow another human being. Most doctors even advise against getting pregnant again within that first year post-partum. A good rule of thumb is 18 months for your body to completely return to normal.

Relax, enjoy your baby...there will be time when your kids are older to do such things.
    ~ Christie ~
    Military vet, and working mama to a troop

Nutrition fanatic/ISSA CPT

"NEVER give up, NEVER stop, NEVER QUIT!!" " GET IT GIRL!"

Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Unless competing is your job, I, frankly, don't understand why anyone would want to do that to their body. Competition prep is stressful, mentally and physically. Readjusting after birth is also stressful, mentally and physically. Why double it?
    Simp's Back: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165133671&page=1

Working to regain strength, muscle, endurance, and lose some blubber. Damn you drinking-wine-on-the-couch. Why are you so good?

cassiefrass1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DLuck View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I was just wondering if people think it is realistic to compete in a bikini competition 6 months after having a baby. Do you think that is enough time to train? Thanks for your opinions
    As a mother of a 6 year old AND a 3 month old I say yes you can! I'm currently training for my first bikini competition in may and yes it's hard and yes it takes sacrifice but I don't sacrifice a single moment with my children and my food is all prepped on Sundays so I don't have any excuses in that department. If your hubby is supportive and is willing to help you achieve your goal then there should be no reason you can't do it! And reading the other posts kinda irritated me cause it makes it sound like any woman who recently had a baby is selfish for wanting to train for a competition and that is NOT the case at all! Go for it girl!

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by cassiefrass1 View Post
    As a mother of a 6 year old AND a 3 month old I say yes you can! I'm currently training for my first bikini competition in may and yes it's hard and yes it takes sacrifice but I don't sacrifice a single moment with my children and my food is all prepped on Sundays so I don't have any excuses in that department. If your hubby is supportive and is willing to help you achieve your goal then there should be no reason you can't do it! And reading the other posts kinda irritated me cause it makes it sound like any woman who recently had a baby is selfish for wanting to train for a competition and that is NOT the case at all! Go for it girl!
    Nobody said the word selfish. I'm sitting on here after 3 hours of making dinner, feeding them dinner, bathing the toddler, and dealing with MY 3 month old screaming his head off because of his teething. Yes, I could go get on a treadmill right now, but I'd like to just sit down and rest. The OP is a first time mother and it seems like she's only a few months pregnant- you and I are not first time mothers and we know how are bodies react after birth, and it's not such a shock when adding another baby. A first time baby is a big shock for many women, and a lot of first time moms get distressed about their bodies post-birth. What I mean, is that it is an unnecessary pressure.