Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Stickiy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stickiy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stickiy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stickiy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stickiy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stickiy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stickiy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stickiy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stickiy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stickiy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stickiy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking 6 month transformation (WIP)

I joined up with the 6 month transformation in the Losing Fat forum, figured I'd keep a decent log on here, a little extra motivation.

At the end of July, just after I finish my Masters', I'm travelling around the US and Canada with my girlfriend, staying with some old friends and visiting a few of the big cities (~ 6 weeks).

The flights are booked, and it's definitely on. The only thing left to do now is stop looking hideous. My girlfriend is actually well out of my league, she just doesn't realise it. So I'm hoping to catch up with her by summer

I'm also sick of looking at myself and feeling disgusting. Taking my top off is embarrassing (although this sounds retarded as a 21 year old guy). The one thing that bugs me is my puffy nipples, I've had them since I was a chubby kid. I've read a lot about gyno but, fingers crossed, it isn't. I don't really have the boob shape, and when it's cold and they shrink down, there's nothing hard or strange about them. Let's hope with fat loss, they'll disappear.

Starting out the year at 6'2, 220lbs and a BF of 26% (every method I try gives different, measuring my 'US Navy Calculator' gives me the highest, so I'll use that)

I haven't ever committed myself to the gym for any extended time, I managed 10 weeks of a cut about 2 years ago when I was at almost exactly this weight, and lost ~ 25lbs. Exams and things messed up my schedule, and over that 2 years I've ballooned to this weight again.

I believe myself to have a fairly good build naturally, and if you go by bodytype jargon, somewhere between a meso and endo. Though, IMO, the only reason I'm fat is because I ate like a pig and drank like a fish. I'm pretty strong and have decent muscle for someone who hasn't really trained before, and when I was on the last cut lost 2lbs a week pretty easily by just limiting my portions (I still had a curry most nights ... )

I don't know how far I'll get in 6 months, but my first goal is to cut down to about 10-12% BF. This puts me about 180-185lbs assuming LBM doesn't change. I could go lower, I guess, but I'm really not fussed and think I'd be a bit too skinny.

Then I'll start a nice clean bulk, and hope the muscle mass comes in without too much fat.

If I can maintain 2lbs a week loss like I did before - since now I'm making an effort in the kitchen too, I should be able to get there in 4-5 months. With any luck, noob gains might even pack on a little LBM in the meantime.

Training routine:

I'll be splitting my gym time into 3 lifting days. I'll be lifting heavy, between 8-12 reps for 3 sets.

Day 1:
    Chest + Triceps

Day 2:
    Back + Biceps

Day 3:
    Shoulders + Legs

I will be hitting my abs with 'Ab Ripper X' once a week at home, and weighted ab exercises in the gym on one of my lifting days - switching it up depending on how much time I have / how sore I feel.

I'll be getting cardio in when I can, ~30 mins of bike / cross trainer (can't run, medical issues), at least the 3 times a week, maybe more.

I also intend on doing the Yoga stuff from P90X, I've heard good things about it from a friend, and my bad joints / inflexibility could do with the help.

I'm planning on eating ~ 1800 calories a day, a little more on training days. Getting in as much protein as possible, a shake after workouts. I gave all my Christmas chocolates and sweets to a homeless guy, and swapped my white bread / rice / pasta for nice wholegrain stuff.

I'll be keeping a log of my work outs here, and now and then comment on anything diet related. Photos and vitals will be updated on my BodySpace.

This time, I'm in it for the long haul, wish me luck

Stickiy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stickiy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stickiy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stickiy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stickiy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stickiy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stickiy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stickiy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stickiy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stickiy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stickiy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Today was the Ab Ripper X day, and obviously I'm lacking behind in stamina!

I haven't really targeted abs much in the past, believing that there's so much flab covering them, there isn't really anything worth doing with them until they're almost visible. But that's a bit daft really.

I'll be doing weighted ab exercises at the gym, but as a short blast for some core strength, the Ab Ripper X routine looked good.

I wasn't able to keep up with it, and took frequent breaks. I managed to get in all the exercises, and just rested when I needed, rather than pausing and continuing (I'd be there forever).

I'm looking forward to seeing how long it will be before I have a little more strength so that I can keep up with the whole routine.

Overall though, feeling great, and soreness from yesterdays shoulder routine always feels good

I'm off for a night out with friends. I managed to ween myself off takeaways at the end of the night a few months ago, but for the first time ever, I'll be keeping my alcohol consumption to a limit, interspersing with some diet cokes.

Luckily, I'm 4 years into university (and only 3 more left .. ) so don't drink as much as I used to. Perhaps one heavy night every 2/3 weeks, which I don't think is too bad.

Managed to stay pretty sober last night, only a couple of drinks, so not too bad at all.

Today was a day off, and I had a go at the P90X Yoga. Didn't have time for the full 90 minutes, but it was good, if not a little tough ..

Not sure if I'll keep it in the routine, maybe swap it for the stretching. A little flexibility won't hurt though

ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yo dude nearly same stats as you! 6"4 and 224 pounds between 23-26% body fat! so be interesting to see how you progress!

Here is my log if your interested http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=130611153

Also there is another over 6 footer here think he is 6"2 like you http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=130512663 and we decided to team up and make it a competition to lose fat and increase lifts so we can motivate each other! feel free to join us be interesting as we are all similar builds!

Message me if your interested dude

Sounds good , subbed to both you guys' logs!

Think my fat distribution looks almost identical to the other guy, 'cept he has a bit more muscle underneath. We'll see how it goes

Today is a day off from exercise, but not a day off from the diet!

I'll be keeping to my ~1800 cals today.

Also, still feeling sore from Thursdays day in the gym (3 days ago!). My left elbow in particular is feeling it, but that always happens when I come back from a break.

Abs are still a little sore, which is always a great feeling

University begins again tomorrow, so my gym will be rammed with other students on a new years resolution. Let's hope they all fail and give up soon so I can have the place to myself again

Chest & Triceps today, it was good.

Machine Press, Tricep Kickbacks, Incline Bench Press, Skull Crushers, Bench Press

Aimed for 3x12, a couple failed 8-10, but I'm not worried about that.

Weight was fairly low, since I haven't done this in a while, will likely up it next week. Depending how sore I am after that one, maybe find another exercise to put in there, 5 exercises seems a little short?

ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey bro glad to see your still on it!!!

my chest and triceps day consists of this

Bench press, dips, dumbell incline chest press, cable crossover, incline dumbell fly, machine chest flye, cable triceps pulldown, standing triceps raise and overhead press.

So a few more exercises than you aha! that took me a few days to recover from the soreness from that work out!

Yeah, I think I might need a few more. There's a Machine Fly at my gym, but some idiots broke it - I used to like that one.

If I'm not really feeling sore tomorrow, I'll find a couple more that I like

Woke up today, my chest is feeling it a little, my triceps not so much.

I think I'll be adding 1 more chest and 1 more tricep exercise next week, and a little more weight. But it was good to get back into it slowly.

Had a blast with Ab Ripper X this morning, I don't feel as exhausted as I did the first time, but I didn't manage to keep up any more. Not sure if I put 100% effort in, found myself giving up fairly easily. A couple of the exercises in there are just completely impossible for me to do ... for now!

Today was back and biceps day. Quite enjoyed it, I went mid-morning and the gym was empty again.

Wide-grip Lat Pulldowns, Machine Row, Dumbbell Curls, Dumbbell Bent-over Row, Incline Dumbbell Curls, Close-grip Lat Pulldowns

Aimed for 3x12, managed that on all but a couple. Whole routine took ~45 minutes, which is what I'm aiming for.

In other news, my abs aren't really feeling anything from yesterdays exercises. After the first time I did Ab Ripper X, I was sore for days. I kept up about the same as I did the first time, but no pain now ... didn't think I'd get used to it this quickly, I should put some more effort in!

Today was legs and shoulders.

The gym was packed, so I struggled with waits to get on almost everything.

I managed to get my full leg routine down, and some of the shoulder exercises, but I was running out of time, and had to skip two of the shoulder exercises ... really disappointing, but I was already late.

I went to the gym a bit later in the morning than I have been doing, and I guess that's why it was busier. Lesson learnt!

Diet's still going good though. I'm down from a little over 220lbs to a little under 216lbs in ~ 10 days. More than I'd like to lose per week, but I guess with just starting out again it's probably water weight etc. Measurements put me at ~ 1 inch less around the belly though, which is nice! Just another 8 more of those ... and I'll be happy

Been a few days since the last update, been very busy, so haven't had time to log things properly.

Diet is going well. I've started an Intermittent Fasting (IF) diet, eating between 1pm and 9pm only. So far it's going good. Staying without food all morning hasn't been a problem, and is actually pretty easy. Eating all my meals in those 8 hours keeps me feeling full and I've no problems with trying to sleep while feeling hungry.

Today I made a total idiot out of myself, went to my gym, and was unable to get pay my membership (completely forgot my PIN...) so this evening, feeling like I had wasted a day, I broke out the Ab Ripper X.

Went pretty well. I've only been at it a week or two, but I can already do more exercises than before, and I'm not that destroyed afterwards. Still can't keep up, and my form isn't the best, but it's improving every time I do it. Obviously, having never done any core stuff before, improving my strength there has been easy! Now let's make something of it

Chest & Triceps again at the gym today.

Felt pretty good, just the right length, will be upping the weights next week!

Back & Biceps

It was good. Switched to higher weight for 8 reps, going to try and up the strength a little

Last night I was over at a friends for poker, first cheat meal and drink in a week or two. A pizza and a few ciders.

Will be back on track today though, and I'll be pounding leg day tomorrow, so no worries B-)

brianmt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianmt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianmt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianmt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianmt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianmt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianmt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianmt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianmt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianmt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianmt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just get back to the diet bud! Good luck with your journey
    Bought this account in 2010 :D

yea man dont worry just keep it up and push yourself harder!!!

Ahh I'm not worried about it, back on track today, and it'd been a while since a real cheat. More disappointed that I lost so much money if anything

brianmt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianmt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianmt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianmt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianmt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianmt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianmt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianmt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianmt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianmt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianmt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Stickiy View Post
    Ahh I'm not worried about it, back on track today, and it'd been a while since a real cheat. More disappointed that I lost so much money if anything
    No worries man, I lost 60 last night at the casino haha.
    Bought this account in 2010 :D

Unlucky Atleast I lost mine to friends

Awesome Legs & Shoulders session this morning. I'm sticking with the switch to 6-8 reps now, let's me shift the weight up. Feels good

It's weigh in and photos day today.

Weighed in at 213.3lbs, almost identical to last weeks. I'm not sure why this is, my diet wasn't 100% but it was pretty good. Oh well, at least it hasn't gone up!

Still, I'm at ~7lbs lost in ~3 weeks, which I should be happy about.

The photos don't really tell much either, but again only 3 weeks progress. If I look *really* hard, I can almost see a difference on my love handles, but I put that down to the different angle.

These pictures kinda suck, so next time I will find a better place to perch my camera!

Just finished my chest & triceps routine, feels pretty good, upped the weight somewhat.

A nice protein filled breakfast too, ready for my day in the laboratory B-)

Back & biceps today. Was a nice workout, but the stuff I needed was being hogged so I had to switch around the order of things; meant some of my lifts went up or down, but nevermind!

Back to work now

Legs & Shoulders this morning. Got in nice and early, lifts were good.

I'm still not getting much soreness the day after now, barely anything. I'm busting my ass while I'm at the gym, but part of me is worried it's not enough ...

I know DOMS isn't directly related to how good your workout was, but I always found it to be a decent guide, hmm.

If the weigh in this weekend hasn't dropped, and the BF hasn't dropped, I'll be dropping some more calories, and try to find some time for cardio.

Wasn't feeling too good the last two days, so Chest & Triceps got shifted back to today.

Apart from being really busy, great workout. I managed to grab the bench first so had free range, I just don't like all the eyes.

I bumped up every lift a little, which felt good.

Back & Biceps this morning, great workout, as usual!

Legs & Shoulders today.

I got there a little late (8am), and the place was packed. In the end had to skip one of the leg machines, but made up for it with extra ass-busting elsewhere.

Also, I spotted a hint of shoulder muscle in the mirror doing my lateral raises (which I managed to up the weight of, feels good), which I'm really happy about. My shoulders kinda suck, and I've never had any sort of definition or size there at all.

Shrugs went up, my traps were fine with it, but my forearms were feeling the strain! Guess I'm just not used to gripping that much weight for so long (60lb db's)

Also weighed in this morning at 209.2lbs, about 2lbs down from last week. Another good point.

Still going strong

Chest & Triceps.

I seem to be making the most progress here. Part of me thinks it's just that I'm more confident with lifting that I'm happy with higher weight, but part of me thinks it might actually be some strength gains...

Tricep reps are increasing every week. Chest is going well, it's easier to see progress on the press machine rather than the DB's, because I can increase the weight in smaller amounts.

On the incline press, gone from a measly 130lb to 175lb today. And could probably have knocked that up a little more.

Looking forward to when I'm able to eat above maintenance and see some real improvements

Originally Posted by Stickiy View Post
    Chest & Triceps.

I seem to be making the most progress here. Part of me thinks it's just that I'm more confident with lifting that I'm happy with higher weight, but part of me thinks it might actually be some strength gains...

Tricep reps are increasing every week. Chest is going well, it's easier to see progress on the press machine rather than the DB's, because I can increase the weight in smaller amounts.

On the incline press, gone from a measly 130lb to 175lb today. And could probably have knocked that up a little more.

Looking forward to when I'm able to eat above maintenance and see some real improvements
    nice work bro