Mark Rejhon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smith Machine bench press versus normal bench press

Hi,

Gym beginner here, learning a lot pretty fast.

Need to figure out the best method to do a bench press when I don't have a spotter handy. I am also deaf and consequently prefer to work out alone, as well. The YMCA that I go to, has a Smith Machine. They would seem to be safer to use than doing the regular bench press if there is no spotter handy. However this website's top 30 tips for beginners, recommend against Smith Machine at least for beginners.

Would anybody care to comment on the use of the Smith Machine if used specifically for the bench press? Especially since it seems much safer if no spotter is handy, since you can quickly lock the barbell at any position.

Thanks,
    Mark Rejhon
    Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 05-28-2003 at 06:50 PM.

kenG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Does the YMCA/gym you go to have a power rack? Instead of using a smith machine for bench pressing use the power rack. Adjust the safety spotters accordingly so that if you fail at a given weight, the spotters will catch the bar before it hits your chest. Even once you reach positive failure, you'll still be able to lower the weight gently until it touches/rests upon the spotters.

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Agreed; I'd even recommend doing bench presses with dumbbells, rather than using a smith machine. Smith machines are good for some things - like being used as a towel rack.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Hmmm. Not sure.

What would a power rack look like - I'm a beginner who's been only at it for a few months, and just starting a new, more proper program. I've seen many machines at a couple of local YMCA's and would recognize it by photo.

[Just googled - I think I see a few photos of a power rack. It looks surprisingly similiar to a Smith Machine. I wonder if I have mis-identified a power rack as a Smith Machine. Time to talk to a YMCA staffer....]

MiloMan - that's a funny one!

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by Mark Rejhon
    I wonder if I have mis-identified a power rack as a Smith Machine.
    A smith machine has a barbell that is attached to two linear bearings, with locking hooks that engage frame pawls when the bar is rotated in one direction.

A power rack has no attached bar. It does have 2 hooks or stops on which the bar can be rested:

Smith machine:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/9402.html

Power rack:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Gotcha - yes, the gym I go to, has both machines. Thanks for the little lesson!

lesters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

machine vs free weight

the only reason i use a smith is so i can go extremely heavy with no spotters . i would not experiment with as heavy of a weight on free bar unless i had 1 good spotter or 2 weak ones but , dumbells are good and no bar means you can throw them but some people have a hard time getting off the bench with them . i laid back one time on the flat bench and my spotter did not see me miss half the bench so i was half on half off with 100 pds in each hand my right arm was extened out like i was doing flys nearly tore something so free weight i use but the dangers are there you need a spotter that pays attention and thats hard to find.
    powerbuilder

Jupiter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jupiter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jupiter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jupiter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jupiter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jupiter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jupiter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jupiter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jupiter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jupiter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jupiter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    why does everyone hate the smith machine so much, I know free bench pressing is a more natural movement but the smith machine is strict so it stops people being able to cheat, I always think people talk down the smith machine because they can't press as much on it, I'm sure I'll be corrected ..
    LIGHTWEIGHT! .. 800lbs 5 weeks out .. I challenge anybody, anyyyybodddyyyyy

kenG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Jupiter
    I always think people talk down the smith machine because they can't press as much on it, I'm sure I'll be corrected ..
    Lol. Well, here's the correction you were waiting for. Actually, when using the smith for pressing you will be able to use a heavier weight than if you were to do the exact same exercise with free weight.

Why is this? Well, it's simply because your stabilizer muscles are not being used to balance the weight. The smith apparatus balances the weight for you. Since you are not using yor stabilizers for balancing the weight you have more strength available to just push the bar in the straight up and down range of motion. It's not that smith's are bad, it's just that they do not build the same functional strength as free weight. However, I still feel the smith is good for certain movements......

Grazing at the Fina Farm Bouncer79's Avatar
    Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bouncer79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I dont like to use it for pressing movements because it doesnt use your stabalizing muscle fibers.... but i do like using it for upright rows... the i am able to the bar with a closer grip without it wobbling side to side.

MikeKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    don't go to failure