Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    wayy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wayy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wayy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wayy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wayy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wayy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wayy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wayy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wayy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wayy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wayy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bauuey View Post
    Which is better?
    i just recently started working with a amateur bodybuilder and he just opened a gym but anyway i asked him this same question and db bench is better for building the pecs and barbell bench is best for building overall strength but is not the best for pecs
    i do bench and than db incline

Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kusok View Post
    Duct tape is better. At least it has some use.

By the way, obviously he means better for mass and/or strength.
    And in both cases barbell is a well-known and rather obvious answer.
    When Rip starts putting dumbbell inclines into his SS program, I will reassess. Until then I will bench.
    Dude, even Rip has said that the DB version is probably better.
    *Fat Kunt Krew (FKK)* President: Alan Aragon
    *C2H6O is the only macro that counts crew*
    *4th of October Victim Krew*
    *Neg incels for fun crew*

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ko300zx View Post
    So which is correct? Regardless of what you prefer, the question still cannot be answered properly until you know what he is trying to accomplish, unless you are of course (and so it seems) set in your ways that one will never be as good as the other.
    This.

They are not the same lift and there are reasons to use either one.

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Coffee wakes me up in the morning and I don't break enough stuff for Duct Tape to be very useful.

BB is hardly the obvious answer. I've heard in many instances, people prefer DBs to work the chest muscles when looking for size because the ROM better isolates the chest muscles and allows for a better contraction. Jim Cordova has an article on his website about how he had difficulty developing his chest until he began working with DBs and I've seen the same argument many other places.

I've heard BB allows you to move more weight by recruiting a number of other muscles in the body to assist with the lift, which all in all leads to lifting maximum weight, therefore increasing strength.

So which is correct? Regardless of what you prefer, the question still cannot be answered properly until you know what he is trying to accomplish, unless you are of course (and so it seems) set in your ways that one will never be as good as the other.

interesting stuff ^^^ Repped. But basically isn't moving more weight = better progress even with regards to size? And doesn't size come with strength? I mean one can concentrate on size, pump, 12 reps, DB, etc etc etc all one wants, but never get any bigger if the weights are not moving up over time, and in order to move the weights heavier one HAS TO get stronger?

I find the following article interesting. The author makes a clear case: if you're not getting stronger you aint' getting bigga:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...al-growth.html
    Last edited by kusok; 01-05-2011 at 12:13 PM.

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Kirra View Post
    Dude, even Rip has said that the DB version is probably better.

For real? I always see Rip coaching BB, and BB being used in SS manuals (thus the term Basic Barbell training).
    I have never seen SS being done or recommended with DB. I guess I learn something new daily.

pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Both of them are equally important. Barbells will allow heavier weights, DBs allow you to work each side equally to build balance/proportion. Use both.

Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For real? I always see Rip coaching BB, and BB being used in SS manuals (thus the term Basic Barbell training).
    I have never seen SS being done or recommended with DB. I guess I learn something new daily.
    He doesn't coach DB bench as far as I'm aware but he does write that it's probably the better version of the two.

Originally Posted by Starting Strength 2nd Edition page 67

In fact, the dumbbell version of the exercise, which actually predates the barbell version due to it's less specialized equipment requirements, is probably a better exercise for most purposes other than training for a powerlifting competition. This is especially true if the weights used are sufficiently heavy to challenge your ability to actually finish the set. Most trainees use them as a light assistance movement, and never appretiate how hard they are or how useful they can be.

Dumbbells - being not tied together between the hands as with a barbell - require more active, conscious control, and are harder to do, and are therefore less commonly done. There is a one handed version, in which ony one dumbbell is used, that requires a tremendous amount of core strength just to stay on the bench.
    God damn, I can't believe I just typed out all that.
    Last edited by Kirra; 01-05-2011 at 03:06 PM.

ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    interesting stuff ^^^ Repped. But basically isn't moving more weight = better progress even with regards to size? And doesn't size come with strength? I mean one can concentrate on size, pump, 12 reps, DB, etc etc etc all one wants, but never get any bigger if the weights are not moving up over time, and in order to move the weights heavier one HAS TO get stronger?

I find the following article interesting. The author makes a clear case: if you're not getting stronger you aint' getting bigga:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...al-growth.html
    The same applies to BB benching. If you want to lift lighter weight, high reps, etc with a BB, you might not be progressing and gaining strength or size with that approach either. Vice versa, you can use heavy DBs, low reps, and build your strength up using DBs.

None of that is necessarily a reflection on the exercise though, more so factors such as volume, speed of the lift, etc.

The author is correct but there's certainly nothing from stopping anyone from making linear progression using DBs.

pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Coffee wakes me up in the morning and I don't break enough stuff for Duct Tape to be very useful.

BB is hardly the obvious answer. I've heard in many instances, people prefer DBs to work the chest muscles when looking for size because the ROM better isolates the chest muscles and allows for a better contraction. Jim Cordova has an article on his website about how he had difficulty developing his chest until he began working with DBs and I've seen the same argument many other places.

I've heard BB allows you to move more weight by recruiting a number of other muscles in the body to assist with the lift, which all in all leads to lifting maximum weight, therefore increasing strength.

Depends on how wide you grab the barbell. People grab it too close. Your definitely NOT going to get much or anything out of the barbell unless you grab it where once you bring the bar to 90 degrees your hands are in line with the elbows or greater. Just like how some people squat with a wide stance, their ass grows and they blame the squat for being a shiity quad exercise.

He doesn't coach DB bench as far as I'm aware but he does write that it's probably the better version of the two.

God damn, I can't believe I just typed out all that.

WTF^^^ That is just weird. I would be less shocked if he advocated leg press over squat than I am now.

Rip saying DB > BB. Mind blown.

I'll start lifting later. tential's Avatar
    tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've seen it in a couple of places including I think the FAQ. He states the dumbbell is probably better but tells people who are doing SS to do the Barbell since it's easier to pick up I think? By the time I read this though I'd already been doing dumbbell presses. Also, the weight increments are easier on barbell press I think for SS. You add 5 lbs each time so if you add 5 lbs to a barbell you just put 2.5 lbs on each side. To do that for dumbbells is much harder since you usually have to add 5 lbs to each side.

From the Guide to Novice BB Training Rippetoe SS FAQ. Note the Last Bolded Part
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224
    EDIT: Also note the part at the bottom in italics
    Question - Can I do DB presses instead of barbell presses?

DB presses are outstanding. Many physique competitors, as well as strongmen, prefer the DB variation to the barbell variation. Interestingly enough, Mark Rippetoe himself feels that the DB may ultimately be a better alternative.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe, pg. 68, Starting Strength
    ...the dumbbell version of the exercise...is probably a better exercises for most purposes other than powerlifting competition.
    There are a few reasons why the barbell version is the preferred "initiation" to the supine press (as the bench press used to be called). The primary one is simply that it is more appropriate to start with the technically easier exercise.

The learning curve for the barbell is much smoother than for DBs. Picture a complete novice trying to do a bench press. The bar wobbles everywhere, it is lowered at a variable rate of speed, it is pressed crooked, the left side flops forward, the right side flops backward, etc. Very few things are as humorous as watching a complete newb try to perform a bench press.

Now...add the aspect of unilateral balance and symmetry to the equation, both of which are required for dumbbell use...both of which are completely lacking in the untrained athlete-to-be. Since the majority of people are either right OR left-hand dominant, they will not have unilateral balance and symmetry. As a result, trying to teach a novice to do the DB press is a train wreck in the making.

You could possibly spend weeks just trying to get the trainee to learn how to balance the DBs. Those precious few weeks are going to be when the trainee is most adept at adding muscle and strength. Better to spend it with weight progression, rather than spending it trying to iron out balance and symmetry issues.

First learn walk, then learn run.

A good analogy exists when one compares barbells and DBs to automatic and manual transmissions.
    Learning to drive a stick shift will undeniably make you a better driver. You'll learn more about driving, cornering, slowing and accelerating, etc using a stick than you will while driving an automatic.

However, the pain, aggravation, and lost time from trying to teach a 15-year old how to drive WHILE teaching him how to use a stick is probably going to be similar to the amount of pain and aggravation (and lost time) from trying to teach that same 15-year old to bench with a pair of DBs before they've even managed to perform a barbell press correctly. The trainee will definitely want to incorporate DBs into their routine, and eventually may end up with a routine that is predominantly DBs. Not only will they probably not suffer, they could possibly flourish. That, however, is better left to the more experienced trainee rather than the novice.

So yeah. I said all of that so that I could say this:

Don't use DBs in this program. Their use is wholeheartedly and enthusiastically endorsed by Mark Rippetoe and me (and any experienced strength athlete who has used them). However, their use is not warranted on this program.

jonathanhef is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonathanhef is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonathanhef is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonathanhef is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonathanhef is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonathanhef is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonathanhef is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonathanhef is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonathanhef is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonathanhef is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonathanhef is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    BB obviously. Allows you to push more weight = get bigga and stronga.

Can't believe people say DB... I bet they also think:
    leg press > squat,
    px90 > SS,
    protein shake > steak,
    machine biceps curl > pull-ups,
    fly > bench press,
    yoga > weight lifting
    etc.
    Ever consider that dumbbells allow a greater range of motion? You're an idiot to exclude DB's based on that one fact.

I hope you're a troll.

WOOM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WOOM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WOOM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WOOM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WOOM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WOOM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WOOM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WOOM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    use both

DBZ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Db's use much more of stabilizing muscles, such as shoulders and is better to built up some extra size on your weak side.

Where as bench press is less focus on the stablizing muscles on each arm, it is considered a very good exercise to help build some overall upper body strength.

i found in many strength training routines/ programs bench pressing were all quite essential in increasing overall upper body strength. Where as Db's are used in routines where people are looking for more mass .

For which one is better, i would say depends on what you trying to attain.

chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    alternate from week to week? they both have their benefits, although my gym only goes up to 120, gayyy.
    Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but doesn't nobody want to lift no heavy ass weights. --Ronnie Coleman

That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Both are great and both should be used in any given workout.
    100x11 weighted pull up
    Rubik's Cube - 7.08 single, 9.43 avg5, 9.97 avg12
    IG: mikekotch65

Originally Posted by chinesemuscle View Post
    alternate from week to week? they both have their benefits, although my gym only goes up to 120, gayyy.

I go to Planet Fitness...

They took out all dumbells bigger than 60 lbs... And instead hung a poster that reads: "Commonly refer to steroids as breakfast? This aint your gym!"

I would go to a different gym, but they all close early and I can only go late

I want to kill myself when I see those posters. I feel such sorrow and anger... it's something! What kind of a f_cking p_ssy would one have to be to appreciate those posters and to put them there?

WTF^^^ That is just weird. I would be less shocked if he advocated leg press over squat than I am now.

Rip saying DB > BB. Mind blown.
    I'm pretty sure that the man hates the leg press with a fiery passion. You should read his book, even you as an intermediate trainee (you are right?) can get loads of valuable info out of it.

They took out all dumbells bigger than 60 lbs... And instead hung a poster that reads: "Commonly refer to steroids as breakfast? This aint your gym!"

So you can't squat and deadlift then? Sounds fun.....

So you can't squat and deadlift then? Sounds fun.....

Luckily I can dead lift since they have a bar with plates. And I squat using a bench press bench...

don't ask...

I'm pretty sure that the man hates the leg press with a fiery passion. You should read his book, even you as an intermediate trainee (you are right?) can get loads of valuable info out of it.

I believe the quote went something like this:

Rip: Leg press is like masturbation.
    Trainee: Oh come on, masturbation aint so bad.
    Rip: It isn't, but at least when I masturbate I'm not under the impression that I'm making anyone else cum but me.

Hahah! I think I've seen multiple quotes where he's dissing the leg press.

Luckily I can dead lift since they have a bar with plates. And I squat using a bench press bench...

don't ask...
    I thought they didn't allow deadlifts over at PF??

And when it comes to squats, I don't even .....

I want to kill myself when I see those posters. I feel such sorrow and anger... it's something! What kind of a f_cking p_ssy would one have to be to appreciate those posters and to put them there?
    No do rags?.....NO DO RAGS!!!!!

Lee Haney would be pissed:

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jonathanhef View Post
    Ever consider that dumbbells allow a greater range of motion? You're an idiot to exclude DB's based on that one fact.

I hope you're a troll.
    lol
    Who was this love of yours?

ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by pumplikeeecummings View Post
    Depends on how wide you grab the barbell. People grab it too close. Your definitely NOT going to get much or anything out of the barbell unless you grab it where once you bring the bar to 90 degrees your hands are in line with the elbows or greater. Just like how some people squat with a wide stance, their ass grows and they blame the squat for being a shiity quad exercise.
    Grip width plays a small part. The real benefit with DBs comes from the ability to move your hands closer together and further apart and also the ability to slightly pronate and supinate the hands during the lift as well. Range of motion.

Try this. Make a bench pressing motion as if you were using a BB and press your arms straight out, wider than shoulder width. Don't bring the hands any closer together and don't rotate them at all. Flex your chest muscles at the top of the motion and note how it feels.

Now do the same thing but as you near the top of the motion, bring your hands together just a couple inches and supinate your hands just a few degrees. To me, when I make this motion and flex my chest muscles, it feels 2x as powerful and I feel like I'm flexing a much greater amount of the chest. Just that slight adjustment in the range of motion, for me, is a huge benefit when I want to focus purely on the chest. This cannot be recreated by changing grip width with a bar. At least not for me.

I wonder if PF painted the walls purple on purpose to try and ward off "lunks."

Registered User sweetkissees918's Avatar
    sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    But dumbbells require more controll since they can move independedly of each other. I'm pretty sure that they engage more muscles than the barbell version.

Lifting more weight doesn't always mean better exercise.
    This ^
    ▪█───────█▪

Bench Press: Current: 210lbs Goal: 225lbs
    Deadlift: Current: 442.5lbs (World Record) Goal: 500lbs
    Military Press: Current: 120lbs Goal: 135lbs
    Squat: Current: 372.5lbs Goal: 400lbs

~Working out and not eating right is like doing your homework and not turning it in.~

******** link to our training page: www.********.com/pages/Xtreme-Fitness/1478082779087471

CajunSt will become famous soon enough. (+50) CajunSt will become famous soon enough. (+50) CajunSt will become famous soon enough. (+50) CajunSt will become famous soon enough. (+50) CajunSt will become famous soon enough. (+50) CajunSt will become famous soon enough. (+50) CajunSt will become famous soon enough. (+50) CajunSt will become famous soon enough. (+50) CajunSt will become famous soon enough. (+50) CajunSt will become famous soon enough. (+50) CajunSt will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For me it's DB. I'm tall with long arms and the BB gives my shoulders hell and not in a good way that would benefit them. I always got this weird pinching feeling in my left shoulder whenever I used the BB. Matter of fact, I rarely even use a bar unless I'm curling, squats, and deadlift.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Dumbell Bench Press vs. Barbell Bench Press

Originally Posted by bauuey View Post
    Which is better?
    Depends on your goals.

If you want to get the biggest bench for a competition, obviously flat barbell bench is the business.

You can have a totally safe setup in a power rack, or with trestles, if you use a barbell.

A barbell allows you to add 5lbs a week for progression. When you are much stronger in the bench, you'll have a better chest.

Barbells are easier to stabilize, while still requiring coordinated strength.

Dumbells in a gym are usually the fixed variety, and it is much harder to progress 5lbs a week unilaterally, which would be like trying to add 10lbs to a barbell.

That said, dumbells are great. So if you like them, use them!

mr_ass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    personally i prefer DB Bench Press,but it's good to use both of them for variating your workout routine. sometimes i use Dumbbell and sometimes i change it with barbell.

realeyz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) realeyz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) realeyz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) realeyz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) realeyz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) realeyz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) realeyz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) realeyz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) realeyz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) realeyz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) realeyz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    The one thing I really haven't heard anyone mention is the fundamental mechanical force difference in the two movements. With a barbell you can lift much more weight because the triceps, and lateral muscle segments are directly involved in the press. With dumbbells those same muscles are only stabilizers. The chest picks up much more of the tension with dumbbells because there is no lateral stabilizer like you have with the barbell.

So basically if you want to place more force on the chest and take the triceps out of the equation, use dumbbells. If you want to really keep the compound nature of the lift incorporating chest and triceps then use the barbell. Of course both are great tools to getting the results you want, but knowing the biomechanical difference is key.