girlzilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question How Do You Keep Motivated??

So, I've read the articles on motivation, but the suggestions seem so generic (and none of them work for me). I don't know where else to look for motivation, but everyone here seems so motivated that I was hoping to get some tips/tricks!

I guess I should provide a little backstory, as I am new here! I found this site by accident. I don't really want to be a full-on bodybuilder, but I definitely want to lift on a regular basis. I used to, but got lazy and stopped doing it. I always enjoyed it though, and seeing the results from it was always great. I'm overweight (5'5 and 184 lbs), and it shows. At 21, I don't want to look like this anymore. I don't like having to wear baggier clothes to hide my belly, or hide my flappy arms. But, I've never been able to stick with anything. I feel like that is just going to happen again, and this time around, I can't let that happen. I have to lose the weight. But, I always give up. I see results and it's great, but I just can't force myself to stick to it.

So, what do you do to motivate you? How do you stick to a diet when you want to eat that cheeseburger and fries? How do you avoid temptation (I'm a college student...so it's difficult to avoid eating out with friends)? Any tips or tricks are much appreciated!!!

erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I haven't been motivated in over a year. I just do it. Are you really motivated to do things like brush your teeth, or shower? No, it's a habit. Eating right and working out are the same.

You have to make up your mind that you want to make the change. When you want that cheeseburger, you need to ask yourself what you want more - to eat that cheeseburger, or to lose weight and look the way you want to.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=17995794

LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I look in the mirror, and ask if I wanna look like this on the beach in summer... the answer is a resounding "NO" so I take my ass to the gym
    Firmly believes that if god didn't want us to eat animals he would never have made them out of meat.

...I also take photo's check em out here http://www.********.com/#!/pages/Williams-Photography/101928733190374

JOHN WEBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOHN WEBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOHN WEBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOHN WEBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOHN WEBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOHN WEBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOHN WEBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOHN WEBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOHN WEBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOHN WEBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOHN WEBB is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by girlzilla View Post
    So, I've read the articles on motivation, but the suggestions seem so generic (and none of them work for me). I don't know where else to look for motivation, but everyone here seems so motivated that I was hoping to get some tips/tricks!

I guess I should provide a little backstory, as I am new here! I found this site by accident. I don't really want to be a full-on bodybuilder, but I definitely want to lift on a regular basis. I used to, but got lazy and stopped doing it. I always enjoyed it though, and seeing the results from it was always great. I'm overweight (5'5 and 184 lbs), and it shows. At 21, I don't want to look like this anymore. I don't like having to wear baggier clothes to hide my belly, or hide my flappy arms. But, I've never been able to stick with anything. I feel like that is just going to happen again, and this time around, I can't let that happen. I have to lose the weight. But, I always give up. I see results and it's great, but I just can't force myself to stick to it.

So, what do you do to motivate you? How do you stick to a diet when you want to eat that cheeseburger and fries? How do you avoid temptation (I'm a college student...so it's difficult to avoid eating out with friends)? Any tips or tricks are much appreciated!!!

Wow my friend, that WAS me in 2010.... If it's to be, it's up to me; untill I took that attitude it NEVER happend. I go tired of lookn in the mirrors hating the person I saw looking back at me. I HAD to make a change. --- I'll keep it brief. Bro, get you a few pics of some one that you desire to look like post them everywhere.. put them in your cell phn, post them around the house, at your job, in your books...these are friendly reminders of wht you desire OUT OF LIFE... If you don't have a desire, nothing will be accomplished!!! In conlusion, check out my pg...if that doesn't inspire you, Don't know wht will. One more thing, SURROUND yourself with positive people crabs will pull you down.. Make it happen!!! (Maj.) JCW.
    " Nothings impossible!!!! " (C/Maj) Webb (ROTC).

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You have to do it for yourself, no one else can motivate you. You can spend another day keeping yourself fat and out of shape by making poor choices, or you can spend that day becoming fit and lean. Your choice. Having had three kids and experiencing the up and down fitness roller coaster, the only person who kicks my butt back into gear is myself

Instead of looking at turning down the burger and fries in place of a grilled chicken sandwich as self-deprivation, think of it as a gift to you. Don't feel sorry for yourself that you aren't eating and drinking the same things your friends are, feel PROUD of your determination!
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000)
    I try to keep things simple, in that case they are very easy to follow.

I've decided that motivation and my work-out schedule have nothing to do with each other. I exercise every day like I brush my teeth every day, take a shower, clean dishes, cook, do laundry and other chores, etc. I do it for myself. And if I don't do it, nobody else will. It is that simple.
    And looking at my way-out-of-shape and almost constantly unhealthy husband also helps to keep my ass off the couch. I know it is very mean to say that but it is true - I don't want to end up in bad shape and sick. Pretty simple.

I am not on a diet so I don't have to stick to it.
    And I don't like cheeseburger and fries. In my opinion, cheese is more tasty with fresh fruits, and a burger is better with beans. And french fries can be substituted with a fresh salad (dressing on the side, of course).

Temptations are usually worked in my total daily calories, I try to keep it in a certain range. When I plan(!) eating out, I usually go to a restaurant's site and look through the menu and make my choice. Simple.
    Little girls cry... Big girls say "F@ck!".

kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    One of my biggest motivators is that I continue to look better each year I get older!

Also, we plan trips to Vegas and the Bahamas a few times a year, and I like to get all dolled up and looking hot for each vacation...that certainly helps keep me motivated.
    Karen

girlzilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thank you!

Thank you to everyone for your wonderful suggestions. As I begin this lifestyle change, I will definitely be using your words to help motivate me

Debbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Debbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Debbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Debbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Debbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Debbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Debbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Debbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Debbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Debbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Debbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by LW79 View Post
    I look in the mirror, and ask if I wanna look like this on the beach in summer... the answer is a resounding "NO" so I take my ass to the gym
    Same here!

And whenever I have some less inspiring moment or start to doubt about my progress, I open my heart here and there is always someone who brings me back on track.

Enjoy the journey!
    => "Like" me on ********: http://www.********.com/DebbieInShape
    => "Follow" me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/DebbieInShape

hisangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hisangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hisangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hisangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hisangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hisangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hisangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hisangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hisangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hisangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hisangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Same here!

And whenever I have some less inspiring moment or start to doubt about my progress, I open my heart here and there is always someone who brings me back on track.

Enjoy the journey!
    Motivation has been my downfall as of the last year or so. How do you get motivated to do the same thing each week - feel as though it gets you no where - and still decide that this is a good thing to do? It's very hard - and for each person there are their own trials to deal with. Being in a forum where what you do is public can help, but I've found as of late that I just have to quit complaining and do it. I don't like the way I look - but no one else is going to do it for me. I feel like I've fallen off this cliff all the sudden (though never sudden) and have been sooo stuck in this stupid rutt that wont let me out. I'm the only one who can change it. Its really not about being motivated all the time, its just plainly a choice - one that you make one day at a time. No matter what your goals are- there is a way to get there - and I have to tell myself every day I want that all over again. I have the capability - and so do you - of making that choice every day. And another thing - results are motivating too. Make sure your plan is a realistic one that you can follow without huge changes that you know you wont stick to. I've revised everything about my diet and workout plan and the changes are coming quickly - which is huge motivation in itself.
    Life is just one day at a time :D - What are you going to do with this day?

Naturra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Keep it Fun !

You have to keep your workouts fun and exciting to stay motivated. I try and do this by mixing my workouts and routines as much as possible, plus you will get better results that way.

You could always throw in some dancing, my cousin just started doing this Zumba thing, is you have the ps3 move, I would suggest it ;-)

Twisterstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Twisterstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Twisterstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Twisterstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Twisterstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Twisterstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Twisterstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Twisterstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Twisterstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Twisterstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Twisterstar is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by LW79 View Post
    Hahaha Same.

I also keep a picture of a girl I want to look like visible. Lay out gym clothes the night before and put shoes where you have to either move them or put them on to get out of bed. Keep only healthy food in the house.

Another thing I like to do is give myself mini rewards fr working out. I like to go to the library, which is close to the gym, so after a work out I go there and get books/magazines. Cool workout clothes also make me want to go to the gym.
    How bad do you want it?
    How bad do you need it?
    Cause if you want it all
    You've got to lay it all out on the line

JA4Fitness has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JA4Fitness has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JA4Fitness has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JA4Fitness has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JA4Fitness has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JA4Fitness has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JA4Fitness has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JA4Fitness has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JA4Fitness has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JA4Fitness has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JA4Fitness has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

I will say, that I got to the point where I was tired of my fat and I wasnt letting myself say "no" anymore. I started taking weekly photos and posting updates to a blog with the photos and how I felt about the week.
    Also, getting the people around you in on your transformation too. In my office, people would start to notice and tell me that I was inspiring them. And they would come in and say "I was going to eat a Cinnamon roll this morning but thought about you and you wouldnt have liked that, so I went for a bowl of cereal instead" Just little things like that that kind of told me that what I had begun to do for myself was actually having a positive impact on others. My mom is back on the workout horse and its been years since she went to the gym. People asking for advice, etc.
    It does take a level of determination. For instance, I have eaten chicken at least twice a day, everyday for 8.5 months now. But, whats the common saying? "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"? And no, I'm not as lean as I intend to be. And part of me feels even crazier now that "New Year's Resolutions" kick in. But, you really have to want to change yourself. Always keep your gym bag on you. If you work out in the morning, set out your clothes before you go to bed.
    Set a goal, or a couple goals. Maybe, you want to do a sprint tri at the end of the year. I also find, if you can afford it, and I give more credit to my trainer than myself even though I do know its my discipline in going to the gym. But if you can find someone who will be there and push you and be positive, and encourage you. That helps too.

Anyway! Hope this helped!

Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Twisterstar View Post
    Hahaha Same.

I also keep a picture of a girl I want to look like visible. Lay out gym clothes the night before and put shoes where you have to either move them or put them on to get out of bed. Keep only healthy food in the house.

Another thing I like to do is give myself mini rewards fr working out. I like to go to the library, which is close to the gym, so after a work out I go there and get books/magazines. Cool workout clothes also make me want to go to the gym.
    Yep, that works for me too...My puppy wakes me up every morning now at 9am sharp to go outside to potty, so I immediately get dressed in some pre-laid out workout clothes, put on her collar, strap on my ipod and go for a walk/jog.

I found that having inspirational pictures of people that have my similar build and body type around is very helpful. I have a picture of Jessica Paxson-Putnam on my fridge and on my mirror so that I'm always focused on my goal...I also have a cool pic of her as the desktop background on my phone too.

I always love to go shopping now for new good-fitting workout wear and track suits. I have a few different pairs of shoes that I switch between...my fridge is filled with healthy stuff so I'm never tempted to gorge on something terrible. For me, eating clean was a lifestyle change. I live in Dallas where gourmet food is EVERYWHERE and almost everyone is an alcoholic, so it's extremely normal to eat out every night of the week and then go get wasted...I've never been a big boozer, but I was eating dinner somewhere every night for awhile, but it was terrible for my body! It makes me feel good to dress in cool workout clothes that fit me right, jog with my dog and come home to a fridge full of fresh, healthy colorful produce. It's a change in your mindset and a constant reminder of your end goal. You can do it!