budru21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Frustrated With No Progress

I am new to this site, and to this kind of fitness, so please have patience with my ignorance. =)

I have been lifting higher reps (12-15) and heavy, but not too heavy weights for two months. I have been doing that 3-5 days per week, plus circuit strenght training to a Jillian Micheals video (30 Day Shred Level 3) at night, plus push ups, sit ups and assisted pull ups on random days (4-6 days per week). I run 2-3 miles a few times a week, but that is not as regular as the other things I do. I just added some pilates in the mix, too. I have a crazy work schedule and am a single mom to 3 kids, so I don't get to do the same things every day at the same time, but I ALWAYS do something. That is my workout.

My diet is extremely disciplined, too. Well, I have a sweet tooth, but we are talking splurges consisting of the occassional no sugar added, low cal hot chocolate, or a small cookie. I eat paleo (no bread, rice, pasta, beans, legumes, dairy) with the exception of plain non fat yogurt in my whey protein shakes. I have been eating this way for sixteen weeks. I only cheat with the above listed sweets in rare occassions. I track calories, and average around 1500-1700 calories a day (unless I have sweets).

So, my goal for the past 16 weeks has been to tone up, reduce body fat, increase strenth and defintion. I am getting absolutely NO WHERE with weight loss or body fat loss. I find this almost impossible. My clothes aren't fitting any looser, either. My thighs and ass are more toned, but no more defined, yet they feel bigger in bulk. Not digging that! Is that temporary?

I also started retaining water really badly the past week and a half. WTF! I take glutomine (sp) and have protein shakes for breakfast sometimes in place of egg whites and veggies if I don't have time to cook. I don't take any other supplements.

Any advice? I have changed so much in such a short time, that I don't know where to make adjustments. Is my diet not helping...is my workout not the right kind? Frustrated! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, guys. I am loving this site!

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by budru21 View Post
    I am new to this site, and to this kind of fitness, so please have patience with my ignorance. =)

I have been lifting higher reps (12-15) and heavy, but not too heavy weights for two months. I have been doing that 3-5 days per week, plus circuit strenght training to a Jillian Micheals video (30 Day Shred Level 3) at night, plus push ups, sit ups and assisted pull ups on random days (4-6 days per week). I run 2-3 miles a few times a week, but that is not as regular as the other things I do. I just added some pilates in the mix, too. I have a crazy work schedule and am a single mom to 3 kids, so I don't get to do the same things every day at the same time, but I ALWAYS do something. That is my workout.

My diet is extremely disciplined, too. Well, I have a sweet tooth, but we are talking splurges consisting of the occassional no sugar added, low cal hot chocolate, or a small cookie. I eat paleo (no bread, rice, pasta, beans, legumes, dairy) with the exception of plain non fat yogurt in my whey protein shakes. I have been eating this way for sixteen weeks. I only cheat with the above listed sweets in rare occassions. I track calories, and average around 1500-1700 calories a day (unless I have sweets).

So, my goal for the past 16 weeks has been to tone up, reduce body fat, increase strenth and defintion. I am getting absolutely NO WHERE with weight loss or body fat loss. I find this almost impossible. My clothes aren't fitting any looser, either. My thighs and ass are more toned, but no more defined, yet they feel bigger in bulk. Not digging that! Is that temporary?

I also started retaining water really badly the past week and a half. WTF! I take glutomine (sp) and have protein shakes for breakfast sometimes in place of egg whites and veggies if I don't have time to cook. I don't take any other supplements.

Any advice? I have changed so much in such a short time, that I don't know where to make adjustments. Is my diet not helping...is my workout not the right kind? Frustrated! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, guys. I am loving this site!
    12-15 reps, circuit style training is not lifting heavy. If you want to make some serious changes in your physique, then you need to get out of your comfort zone and push the heavy stuff.

1500-1700 calories should be working fine. What do you mean, I track calories unless I have sweets? Do you stick to your plan or do you stray when it comes to cheats, treats, weekends, etc? How do you track calories and do you eyeball or measure your food?

If you haven't made any progress in 16 weeks, then something is off in your plan in the way you track your calories.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Smile Don't Get Discouraged !

2 months seems like a long time I know what you mean. I know in my case I saw no changes until I started tracking my food. I use fitday.com not the best but a very good indicator of what I AM REALLY putting in my mouth as I have a tendency to not remember that little bit of something .

One of my biggest problems was wanting muscularity at the same time wanting looser pants ugh! I spiraled into a "whats wrong with me" self talk which was not helpful.

This is how I put it together (not perfectly executed but whatever)

1. organised all my food for the day . I cooked whatever I had to ahead of time and put it all into containers. A little unappetising but it helped with portion control and helped with reality of what I eat and what I think I'm eating.

2. Cardio! now many people will disagree with a lot of cardio . It doesnt matter what kind of cardio but a regime of 5-7 cardio sessions a week for at least 40minutes to 1 hour split up into two sessions. This is not something I do everyday forever just until I achieve some fat loss. I don't know what works for others but in my case I DO NOT LOSE FAT EASILY AT ALL!!! I must gut bust until I get desired results.

3. Weight training routine which is preformed with at the same intensity as a tough cardio session. Now for a new muscle maniac woman this is something which takes time. In my opinion it is more important to have perfect form when executing any weight lifting routine. That being said your time in the gym will be much longer in the beginning and taper off to something more manageable after you have learned how to properly execute your routine.

4. Comparing myself to others HAS NOT BEEN HELPFUL. I am me I am unique and wonderful in my own way and this journey has definitely helped me to know myself much better . I have learned that patience has been my most underdeveloped muscle I own!

If your not sure how hard you need to work or your unsure of how to put together a routine that will give you the results you need to see change and inspire you to push forward I might suggest purchasing 3-5 personal training sessions.

I would also suggest looking at the work out logs of females you admire on bb.com you will get a realistic idea of how F****** hard these amazing ladies work for their goals.

Happy GRINDING!!! Say it over and over There is no more I cant just a whole lot of I can't wait!

4 sets of everything

Originally Posted by ToraAdams View Post
    2 months seems like a long time I know what you mean. I know in my case I saw no changes until I started tracking my food. I use fitday.com not the best but a very good indicator of what I AM REALLY putting in my mouth as I have a tendency to not remember that little bit of something .

One of my biggest problems was wanting muscularity at the same time wanting looser pants ugh! I spiraled into a "whats wrong with me" self talk which was not helpful.

This is how I put it together (not perfectly executed but whatever)

1. organised all my food for the day . I cooked whatever I had to ahead of time and put it all into containers. A little unappetising but it helped with portion control and helped with reality of what I eat and what I think I'm eating.

2. Cardio! now many people will disagree with a lot of cardio . It doesnt matter what kind of cardio but a regime of 5-7 cardio sessions a week for at least 40minutes to 1 hour split up into two sessions. This is not something I do everyday forever just until I achieve some fat loss. I don't know what works for others but in my case I DO NOT LOSE FAT EASILY AT ALL!!! I must gut bust until I get desired results.

3. Weight training routine which is preformed with at the same intensity as a tough cardio session. Now for a new muscle maniac woman this is something which takes time. In my opinion it is more important to have perfect form when executing any weight lifting routine. That being said your time in the gym will be much longer in the beginning and taper off to something more manageable after you have learned how to properly execute your routine.

4. Comparing myself to others HAS NOT BEEN HELPFUL. I am me I am unique and wonderful in my own way and this journey has definitely helped me to know myself much better . I have learned that patience has been my most underdeveloped muscle I own!

If your not sure how hard you need to work or your unsure of how to put together a routine that will give you the results you need to see change and inspire you to push forward I might suggest purchasing 3-5 personal training sessions.

I would also suggest looking at the work out logs of females you admire on bb.com you will get a realistic idea of how F****** hard these amazing ladies work for their goals.

Happy GRINDING!!! Say it over and over There is no more I cant just a whole lot of I can't wait!

4 sets of everything
    Wow!! Thanks so much. We sound very similar, actually. I have been using Fitday.com for the past two months. It is great, and does keep me on track. It also holds me accountable because when I think about eating something, I think about having to look at it in black and white as I log it, and that makes me think twice. I really appreciate your helpful, yet non-judgemental advice. Thank you! I will look at a personal trainer, too. I am going to do some profile searching now that I have my profile set up, and find some ladies to motivate me. Thanks again, and good luck to you, too! You look great!!

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    12-15 reps, circuit style training is not lifting heavy. If you want to make some serious changes in your physique, then you need to get out of your comfort zone and push the heavy stuff.

1500-1700 calories should be working fine. What do you mean, I track calories unless I have sweets? Do you stick to your plan or do you stray when it comes to cheats, treats, weekends, etc? How do you track calories and do you eyeball or measure your food?

If you haven't made any progress in 16 weeks, then something is off in your plan in the way you track your calories.
    Thank you for your response. I appreciate it. I will increase my weight for sure. I am still learning good form, so have been trying to focus on that more, but I think I am ready to increase weight, too. I don't have a partner, and that is a challenge, too. I have an entire gym to myself at work, but no one to work out with. So, do you have any advice on how to increase weights with no partner? Sorry, I am really new at this whole thing. lol.

As for the sweets and tracking, I meant I am always at 1500-1700 calories, unless I eat sweets, then I may end up at 1700-2000 calories for that day. I track everything, everyday, though. I worded that in a confusing way. Thanks again for your response! Good luck to you, and you look terrific!

depravedsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10) depravedsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10) depravedsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10) depravedsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10) depravedsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10) depravedsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10) depravedsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10) depravedsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10) depravedsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10) depravedsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10) depravedsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by budru21 View Post
    Thank you for your response. I appreciate it. I will increase my weight for sure. I am still learning good form, so have been trying to focus on that more, but I think I am ready to increase weight, too. I don't have a partner, and that is a challenge, too. I have an entire gym to myself at work, but no one to work out with. So, do you have any advice on how to increase weights with no partner? Sorry, I am really new at this whole thing. lol.

As for the sweets and tracking, I meant I am always at 1500-1700 calories, unless I eat sweets, then I may end up at 1700-2000 calories for that day. I track everything, everyday, though. I worded that in a confusing way. Thanks again for your response! Good luck to you, and you look terrific!
    Progressive overload is key.

I never work out with anyone. empty gym that no one goes to. Easy to add weight.

Be more strict with your diet?

Edit: I clicked female bodybuilding instead of teen bodybuilding. I was wondering why there were so many new faces.