R.G. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) R.G. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) R.G. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) R.G. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) R.G. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) R.G. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) R.G. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) R.G. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) R.G. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is it safe to eat fish/seafood everyday? Mercury poisoning scare real or fake?

I prefer fish over chicken, cow, and pork.

My main sources of macro calories these days (carbs, protein, and fat)

are lots of seafoood and pasta, mixing in whole wheat bread with peanut butter or oats.

Can eating fish everyday really lead to mercury poisoning?

Surely 16 oz of fish everyday is better for you than 16 oz of cow or pork everyday?

almightyares will become famous soon enough. (+50) almightyares will become famous soon enough. (+50) almightyares will become famous soon enough. (+50) almightyares will become famous soon enough. (+50) almightyares will become famous soon enough. (+50) almightyares will become famous soon enough. (+50) almightyares will become famous soon enough. (+50) almightyares will become famous soon enough. (+50) almightyares will become famous soon enough. (+50) almightyares will become famous soon enough. (+50) almightyares will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by R.G. View Post
    Surely 16 oz of fish everyday is better for you than 16 oz of cow or pork everyday?

What kind of reasoning makes you conclude that?

johnsdar is just really nice. (+1000) johnsdar is just really nice. (+1000) johnsdar is just really nice. (+1000) johnsdar is just really nice. (+1000) johnsdar is just really nice. (+1000) johnsdar is just really nice. (+1000) johnsdar is just really nice. (+1000) johnsdar is just really nice. (+1000) johnsdar is just really nice. (+1000) johnsdar is just really nice. (+1000) johnsdar is just really nice. (+1000)
    if you must eat fish try and eat smaller kinds such as sardines.

the smaller the fish the less time it takes to grow to full size, which means it is exposed to ocean pollution for less time before being harvised. less time in polluted water makes the fish have lower concentrations of mercury. for example albacore tuna has more mercury than light tuna.

but if i was you i would cutt back on the fish, it would be better to mix it up a little and play it safe.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

are lots of seafoood and pasta, mixing in whole wheat bread with peanut butter or oats.

I don't see any issues. Think about a lot of cultures out there where they eat seafood daily.
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

Cinekydo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinekydo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinekydo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinekydo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinekydo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinekydo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinekydo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinekydo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinekydo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinekydo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinekydo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think it depends on the seafood, but yes mercury poisoning is real. I wouldn't eat tuna everyday but 3x/week and other fish like salmon or shellfish or whitefish or sardines ect on other days would be fine. I believe there are charts you can google that say how much mercury different fish have and if you read it over you'll be able to figure out your diet (they also have how much mercury is dangerous).

Oh... Just stay away from swordfish >.>

mgotter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mgotter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mgotter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mgotter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mgotter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mgotter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mgotter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mgotter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mgotter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mgotter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mgotter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You're worried about mercury poisoning but then think beef/pork are even worse for you? Not sure I follow your logic. Contrary to what people have been told beef/pork/fat are not inherently bad for you. The fish will be lower in calories per ounce, but you also need fat in your diet.

Originally Posted by johnsdar View Post
    if you must eat fish try and eat smaller kinds such as sardines.

the smaller the fish the less time it takes to grow to full size, which means it is exposed to ocean pollution for less time before being harvised. less time in polluted water makes the fish have lower concentrations of mercury. for example albacore tuna has more mercury than light tuna.

That being said I wouldn't really worry about it unless you are pregnant.

but if i was you i would cutt back on the fish, it would be better to mix it up a little and play it safe.
    The size of fish does not really matter, a small fish could take just as long as a large fish to reach their full grown size. Higher mercury content is usually found in predatory fish due to bioaccumulation.

That being said I wouldn't worry about it unless you are pregnant.
    Last edited by mgotter; 01-03-2011 at 07:46 PM.

sproles134 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sproles134 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sproles134 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sproles134 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sproles134 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sproles134 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sproles134 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sproles134 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sproles134 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sproles134 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sproles134 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

I eat an average of about 6 cans of light tuna per day and never had a problem with mercury poisoning.

Just make sure you take a multivitamin pill every day, since it contains selenium, which helps your body get rid of excess mercury.

only 6lbs of pressure calmlikewind's Avatar
    calmlikewind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calmlikewind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calmlikewind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calmlikewind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calmlikewind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calmlikewind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calmlikewind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calmlikewind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calmlikewind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calmlikewind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calmlikewind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i aint even scared just eat it
    ASOT Crew| [IIFYM Crew]|alanaragonblog.com|The Legion of Good Samaritans |*Knee Draggers Crew*|☆☆MISC BOXING CREW☆☆|++positive crew++| la vérité

Speak or act with a pure mind
    And happiness will follow you
    As your shadow, unshakable.

you ever down or depressed you can talk to someone about it!

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by sproles134 View Post
    I eat an average of about 6 cans of light tuna per day and never had a problem with mercury poisoning.

Just make sure you take a multivitamin pill every day, since it contains selenium, which helps your body get rid of excess mercury.
    You are rolling the dice with this practice. Whether diets high in selenium protect against the risks associated with methylmercury (MeHg) is not yet clear.

All fish will contain methylmercury no matter what the fish’s size or the geographic location of the waters from which the fish was is caught. That being said, the size and type of fish and the geographical location of waters do influence the amounts of methylmercury in the fish.

The vast majority (66%) of the U.S. seafood supply (and 82% of the most heavily consumed fish and shellfish in the US) are low or very low in mercury. Nonetheless, there are certain population subsets (pregnant women, infants and children, and even athletes and bodybuilders) that need to better understand the risk about mercury in fish and seafood to allow them to make better seafood choices when it comes to mercury content, especially the amounts of the seafood they eat.

Adam182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adam182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adam182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adam182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adam182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adam182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adam182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adam182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adam182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adam182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adam182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just have the mindset that everything "somehow" is bad for you one way or another. Seems like everything these days is bad for your health. Just eat in moderation and don't over do it. You will be fine. 6 cans of tuna might be pushing it a bit though

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Adam182 View Post
    I just have the mindset that everything "somehow" is bad for you one way or another.
    You do understand that some things are really bad for you and some things are not (assuming typical consumption amounts).

For example, trans fats are bad. Saturated fats, not bad. Smoking is bad. Drinking water, not bad.

Adam182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adam182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adam182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adam182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adam182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adam182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adam182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adam182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adam182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adam182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adam182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    You do understand that some things are really bad for you and some things are not (assuming typical consumption amounts).

For example, trans fats are bad. Saturated fats, not bad. Smoking is bad. Drinking water, not bad.
    yeah I'm fully aware. In terms of food scares though.... Ex: eggs, Fish, etc.

the over the top news stories that are shown to scare people away from everything. Thats what I meant.

jjew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jjew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jjew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jjew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jjew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jjew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jjew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jjew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jjew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jjew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jjew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I picked up fishing as a hobby last summer, caught so much god damn fish i had a 5 month supply. Ate it nearly daily, and i'm no worse for wear. Although I ate the larger fish rarely.

Here's some fish I ate almost daily

Fluke
    Porgy
    Black sea bass
    Blackfish
    Sea robin

And fish I ate like once a month

Striped bass
    Bluefish

As long as ur not eating the large fish regularly you'll be fine. Smaller fish= less mercury concentration

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    please don't bump old threads.