floridamuscles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to approach walking on *college football*

Ok, I'm going to keep this as short as possible so you dont have to read too much. Heres my situation.

I'm going to a community college right now *no football team*. In one or two semesters I'll be transfering to a four year college. 90% chance it's going to be a D1 school. Theres a couple other schools I've been looking at but they're farther away from home and some are private *more expensive, money I'd have a very hard time paying*. When I do transfer I'm going to try to walk on and play football. Heres the deal, I haven't played since my freshman year. Long story short, ended up going to a school that was going to have football, things didn't work out and they never got a football team while I was there. I played soccer, basketball and ran track. I'm very athletic but haven't played in a very long time.

My stats:
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 232
    Bench: 325
    Squat: 465x3 (never maxed)
    Running times I have absolutely no clue. Haven't been timed running in God knows how long. If I had to estimate my 40 I'd say about a 4.9. Easily the biggest thing I'm working on now.

What I'm asking advice on is how I should approach talking to the coaches, etc. I know I could just show up when they have open tryouts which I looked up, but I figured getting in contact with coaches now would probably help me. I looked up all of the athletic department directories. If I email, what are the chances I'd actually get a response? I have no clue what I should actually put in an email. Or should I just call their office? Any advice on talking to them would be appreciated.

Also, I know walking on with as little experience as I have is a complete long shot but worst case scenario if I don't make it is I'll be in the best shape possible, so I'm not going to worry about that.

DanishJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanishJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanishJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanishJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanishJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanishJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanishJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanishJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanishJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanishJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanishJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was hoping to see more replies, as I'm gonna walk on next year..

tst313 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tst313 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tst313 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tst313 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tst313 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tst313 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tst313 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tst313 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tst313 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tst313 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tst313 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sometimes walk-ons have success that many recruiting staffs miss. Within the last ten years at Oregon State, three of their best players in the history of the school were walkons. One won the Biletnikoff Award, being named the top wide receiver in the nation, and another was named the Lou Groza award for the best kicker in the nation.

Go in more motivated than the recruits, and you should do fine!

Originally Posted by floridamuscles View Post
    Ok, I'm going to keep this as short as possible so you dont have to read too much. Heres my situation.

I'm going to a community college right now *no football team*. In one or two semesters I'll be transfering to a four year college. 90% chance it's going to be a D1 school. Theres a couple other schools I've been looking at but they're farther away from home and some are private *more expensive, money I'd have a very hard time paying*. When I do transfer I'm going to try to walk on and play football. Heres the deal, I haven't played since my freshman year. Long story short, ended up going to a school that was going to have football, things didn't work out and they never got a football team while I was there. I played soccer, basketball and ran track. I'm very athletic but haven't played in a very long time.

My stats:
    Running times I have absolutely no clue. Haven't been timed running in God knows how long. If I had to estimate my 40 I'd say about a 4.9. Easily the biggest thing I'm working on now.

What I'm asking advice on is how I should approach talking to the coaches, etc. I know I could just show up when they have open tryouts which I looked up, but I figured getting in contact with coaches now would probably help me. I looked up all of the athletic department directories. If I email, what are the chances I'd actually get a response? I have no clue what I should actually put in an email. Or should I just call their office? Any advice on talking to them would be appreciated.

Also, I know walking on with as little experience as I have is a complete long shot but worst case scenario if I don't make it is I'll be in the best shape possible, so I'm not going to worry about that.

Dden is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dden is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dden is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dden is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dden is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dden is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dden is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dden is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dden is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dden is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dden is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You would probably be utilized as a LB if you don't mind laying the hat on some people. I would say work on you agility such as your direction changing ability and also work on your 40 time. Bench really doesn't mean a whole lot with football unless your a linemen but it doesn't hurt to be strong on the bench. Focus on squats, deadlifts, cleans and more explosive movements in all of your lifts (down slow and explode up.) Also I would recommend getting a speed ladder and a weight vest for plyos and footwork.
    ISSA CPT

wikimaster2070 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wikimaster2070 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wikimaster2070 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wikimaster2070 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wikimaster2070 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wikimaster2070 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wikimaster2070 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wikimaster2070 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wikimaster2070 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wikimaster2070 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wikimaster2070 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

My stats:

yeah i sent a tape of me backpedaling and lifting to a d1a program because behind d1cornerbacks in the depth chart and now i got the recruiting assistant phone number

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEgopQTPwkk

DocHollidy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DocHollidy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DocHollidy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DocHollidy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DocHollidy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DocHollidy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DocHollidy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DocHollidy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DocHollidy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DocHollidy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DocHollidy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I've walked on before, made team, was a starter, etc. what do you want to know? Also experience does make a difference, but I only played 2 years of football ever before walking on so it can be done
    CON-CRET LOG-http:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=636607883

Football Log-http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130506763

Phil 4:13

Isaiah 51:12

Location: Woodbridge, Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    pursuitofone is just really nice. (+1000) pursuitofone is just really nice. (+1000) pursuitofone is just really nice. (+1000) pursuitofone is just really nice. (+1000) pursuitofone is just really nice. (+1000) pursuitofone is just really nice. (+1000) pursuitofone is just really nice. (+1000) pursuitofone is just really nice. (+1000) pursuitofone is just really nice. (+1000) pursuitofone is just really nice. (+1000) pursuitofone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DocHollidy View Post
    I've walked on before, made team, was a starter, etc. what do you want to know? Also experience does make a difference, but I only played 2 years of football ever before walking on so it can be done
    where did you walk on?

what postion did you play?

what was the process (i.e a 'combine' like try out or just straight in)

what the coaches/players attitude to walk ons? (looked down on/used as cannon fodder?)

you said you didnt have much football experience, but in terms of athleticism strength speed etc..where were you compared to the other players?

thanks

Originally Posted by DocHollidy View Post
    How much did you talk to the coaches beforehand?

jcollins79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcollins79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcollins79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcollins79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcollins79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcollins79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcollins79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcollins79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcollins79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcollins79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcollins79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I walked on at a D1 School after attending prep school. I had football experience though. All I did was submit my tape and showed up at open try outs. It was a 2 week process back then. What got me in was my size and foot speed. If I were you I would work on your explosiveness and speed the most. A good college program will get you huge. And no one will care what your max is right now. What school are you looking at? When I walked on I was 6,2 275 5.0 40. They moved me around the line and I ended up on D line. Started at center and guard on O.

Originally Posted by Dden View Post
    You would probably be utilized as a LB if you don't mind laying the hat on some people. I would say work on you agility such as your direction changing ability and also work on your 40 time. Bench really doesn't mean a whole lot with football unless your a linemen but it doesn't hurt to be strong on the bench. Focus on squats, deadlifts, cleans and more explosive movements in all of your lifts (down slow and explode up.) Also I would recommend getting a speed ladder and a weight vest for plyos and footwork.
    Yeah, Im looking at linebacker most likely. I was also thinking fullback but the school runs the spread and rarely utilizes a fullback. The speed ladder is a really good suggestion because I definately need to get my feet faster. My dircetion changing is pretty good right now since Ive been working on that lately but could always be better of course.

Originally Posted by jcollins79 View Post
    I walked on at a D1 School after attending prep school. I had football experience though. All I did was submit my tape and showed up at open try outs. It was a 2 week process back then. What got me in was my size and foot speed. If I were you I would work on your explosiveness and speed the most. A good college program will get you huge. And no one will care what your max is right now. What school are you looking at? When I walked on I was 6,2 275 5.0 40. They moved me around the line and I ended up on D line. Started at center and guard on O.
    UCF. Did you go pads during tryouts?

jcollins79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcollins79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcollins79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcollins79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcollins79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcollins79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcollins79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcollins79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcollins79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcollins79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcollins79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    UCF. Did you go pads during tryouts?
    For 2 days during the second week we wore uppers but sh*t got really real still. The number of people left had dropped to about 25% by then. Mostly a crap load of speed drills. Sprints. position drills and such.

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Its different at every school.

At the school i worked for, there were no "try outs" really. You pretty much had to be invited to walk on or get in contact with the coach and convince him to let you walk on. From there on out, you just had to hang with the big boys, and accept the role of scout team for that year.

But also, we had a few "invited" walkons. Who basically are guys who got recruited but didnt get offered anything or couldnt get offered anything due to limited schollies. A couple of those guys made it straight to 2nd team (travel & dress) after camp.

Sven Draconian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sven Draconian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sven Draconian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sven Draconian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sven Draconian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sven Draconian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sven Draconian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sven Draconian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sven Draconian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sven Draconian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sven Draconian is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If it's an open tryout...focus on the drills.

Practice the 40 yd dash.
    Practice the Pro Agility drill
    Do the cone drills.

...basically, read up on the NFL combine, find some vid, run those drills. Being able to run the drill properly will make your times lower, and make you look better. And, obviously, make you faster.

Master the athletic stance. Sink the hips, slight bend in the knees, shoulders over knees over toes. (Think of a basketball player on defense, or a linebacker before the snap). You'll look like a putz if you can't stay in the athletic stance DURING drills. You don't just stand it in, you need to be able to move like that.

Search around the internet and find positional drills. Or, go to borders and find one of the football drills books (there shoud be several). Learn those drills so you can look competent performing them.

Those 2 things are what you are going to get judged on. You need to be able to move. There's lots of big, strong guys walking around.... agility seperates them out.

From a skills standpoint, hammer the dot drill (basically a lot like hop scotch), jump rope, and work the plyo's (box jumps especially). Those will help your quickness the most, make you look better on the combine drills and the positional drills.

From a lifting perspective...
    1) Squat, Squat, Squat. Squat deep. Squat heavy. It will help add mass, and improve hip strength (important on contact), and leg strength (speed).

2) Hammer the OLY lifts. Those are all hip drive, which is what you use on contact. It's uncorking from the athletic stance, exactly what you need to do on the field.

Assistance wise, tons of Hammy work (GHR!). Pressing is secondary. Deadlifting isn't strictly neccessary (there is definately benefit, but between the Olys, Squats, Plyos and Drills something has to give).
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153114941

Registered User OLDFitnessBlitz's Avatar
    OLDFitnessBlitz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Send me a message. I played division one football, and I will help you out with walking on, and give you information in full. I have to go now, as I will be busy the rest of the day, but I will get back to you if I have a message in my inbox.

My stats:

DocHollidy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DocHollidy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DocHollidy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DocHollidy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DocHollidy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DocHollidy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DocHollidy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DocHollidy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DocHollidy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DocHollidy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DocHollidy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by pursuitofone View Post
    where did you walk on?

what postion did you play?

what was the process (i.e a 'combine' like try out or just straight in)

what the coaches/players attitude to walk ons? (looked down on/used as cannon fodder?)

you said you didnt have much football experience, but in terms of athleticism strength speed etc..where were you compared to the other players?

thanks
    1) Walked on to top 10 D2 School, I walked on in the spring, so basically my first workout was testing spring drills with the team.

2) Played H-Back (Tight End/Fullback Hybrid) when they took that out of the offense then I moved to Defensive End

3) Coaches had a positive attitude with anyone that could help the team, granted a lot of the dudes who tried to walk on didnt have any business trying in the first place. If you have size and athleticism you should be ok.

4) In terms of athleticism during spring testing I came in 2nd out of 90 overall in athletic testing (bench press, 40, broad jump, hang clean, medicine ball toss, etc.) I ran a slow 40 that day (4.90) and the way they determined overall points, was based off a scoring system for each test. I lost by 3 points overall, which had I been in better shape(ran better), would have been overall best athlete on team.

If you work hard everything is possible bro, I was out of high school for 3 years before I walked on, the coaches didnt take me seriously at first, but after spring testing they did.

How much did you talk to the coaches beforehand?
    I bugged the absolute crap out of them, until they gave me a shot.

Another thing I will tell you is

Yes their are a lot of amazing athletes in college football

But honestly the athleticism on average of most college football players is overrated.. I think a lot of people will tell you that... I played with 3 or 4 dudes that had experience in the NFL, not great athletes, just good football players

WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Got this from Jim Wendler. I am enduring the process right now at a FCS Big Sky school. I'll keep you guys updated.

The Ten Expectations of a Walk-on Football Player

1. Expect it not to be that fun.
    2. Expect coaches to not treat you well.
    3. Expect scholarship players to not treat you well.
    4. Expect a lot of hardship.
    5. Expect to get no attention or care from anyone.
    6. Expect to make the team, practice your balls off, fight and get playing time.
    7. Expect to give everything and get very little in return.
    8. Expect to be a starter.
    9. Expect everyone to want you to fail.
    10. Expect nothing to be given to you.

A true walk-on player (not someone who is on the verge of scholarship or invited walk-on) has to be able to shovel more **** than most people will ever deal with. This is because 99% of people don't have passion and love for what they do, so whether they succeed or not (job, career, family,
    hobby) doesn't make a difference to them. Sure they get mad and hate it, but they aren't willing to die for anything. When I played football, I would have DIED to have played the game. I don't know many people that, no matter their interet.

You can chalk that up to youthful ignorance or rage or whatever.

So enduring the endless battles, the humiliation, is pretty damn hard...but easier to swallow when you are willing to do whatever it takes. You gotta be like Kaizer Soze and do what the other guy won't do.

And the only reason/excuse for not playing is this: YOU.

If you endure, it will happen.