Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    When you're a noob, anything works, no matter how off the wall it might be.
    That is something that has crossed my mind as well...

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post
    "50 reps for the first set might seem like a lot, but stick to it. It'll serve to act as your warm-up set, and it will take you to absolute failure. This high amount of reps promotes the flow of synovial fluid to your joints, opens up neuromuscular pathways, gets more blood to your muscles, and activates nerve endings to get those motor-neurons firing for proper muscle-fiber contraction."

"Through these DTP workouts, specifically starting with the higher rep range and the shorter rest periods, you'll be able to hit the Type I muscle fibers. Then, as the weight gets a little heavier, you'll get to the Type IIA muscle fibers and then finish off with the Type IIB fibers.

You may have heard that high reps won't build muscle. This is not the case. You'll definitely build muscle, but more importantly, you'll build muscle density. Your muscles will fill, and the lines on your body will change. With this trainer, you'll get 4 full workouts with me, nutrition and shopping guides, rest/cardio day directions and other hints and tips as you progress."

I was specifically talking about stuff like that, which he mentions on his pages and videos. Keep in mind, this is a 4 week program. Im not trying to compare results with some 5x5 routine that you could run for multiple years.

What you posted from gethin's writeup is pretty much meaningless in the context of what's actually required to build mass.

Post #27 still stands; I see no reason to add anything else.

Train as you wish.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I should also point out his "Nutritional advice" is to eat 20 calories per lb of bodyweight. Yes bodyweight, not LBM. I am a lean guy and even for me, that would be +600 calories than I'm eating now, on my lean bulk.

What you posted from gethin's writeup is pretty much meaningless in the context of what's actually required to build mass.

Post #27 still stands; I see no reason to add anything else.

Train as you wish.
    Train as I wish? . Im mearly trying to get an answer as to why its not a good routine. I posted specific questions and didnt get a specific answer (from you at least). I hope you dont think I'm trying to "stick up" for this routine. I knew fully well going into it, it may not work well, but it was different and I simply wanted to try it and see how my body reacted.

You do not have to answer my questions if they annoy you. Im simply trying to learn. Rep ranges and hypertrophy mildly interests me. (Yes I have searched on that subject, but it didn't seem like it was fully understood yet. Admittedly, my search skills could be awful...)

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post
    Train as I wish? . Im mearly trying to get an answer as to why its not a good routine. I posted specific questions and didnt get a specific answer (from you at least). I hope you dont think I'm trying to "stick up" for this routine. I knew fully well going into it, it may not work well, but it was different and I simply wanted to try it and see how my body reacted.

You do not have to answer my questions if they annoy you. Im simply trying to learn. Rep ranges and hypertrophy mildly interests me. (Yes I have searched on that subject, but it didn't seem like it was fully understood yet. Admittedly, my search skills could be awful...)

Pointing out that no one else trains as gethin advises should pretty much tell you all you need to know about his program.

If you've done any searching at all about rep ranges and how they relate to muscle/strength gain, you'd already know that the vast majority of people will respond best to sets of somewhere between 6 and 12 reps. No knowledgeable person recommends doing 50 or 40 or even 30-rep sets for hypertrophy.

And yes, I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that you were another gethin nut-hugger.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

GregWells89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregWells89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregWells89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregWells89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregWells89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregWells89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregWells89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregWells89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregWells89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregWells89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregWells89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just curious as to why the DTP style of training is receiving so much negativity? The facts are different people respond to different types of training and ultimately you need to find what works best for yourself. Should a beginner with a lack of training experience jump into an extremely high volume workout like this? Probably not, but if the program works why not throw it in occasionally, and since introducing the DTP into my training I have gained 5 pounds where as previously I had plateau'd at 180 pounds for the previous 60 days or so. Also I have noticed that since I am using various weights and rep ranges I can hit failure on my chest 10 different times and get 2 full working sets in each of the various rep ranges. Is this training abnormal? Yes. Is it difficult? Yes. But it has been proven that failure is what forces a muscle to grow, lifting something you "couldn't". Well that is exactly what I find myself doing during this style of training. I press light weight, moderate weight, and heavy weight and fail repeatedly. 10 times to be exact on one muscles alone hitting around 300 reps total on just a single muscle and as Arnold Schwarzenegger himself proved, antagonistic supersets work and this program is built around that principle. Don't tell me that putting your muscles under that much stress won't force them to grow. If it doesn't work for you then it doesn't work for you, but for some people it does. Ultimately train how you like, I like this and it works. If you're looking for something different and challenging I recommend DTP.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Absolute bollocks.

You don't need 300+ reps for bis or tris on a particular day, unless you want to use the same weights that Granny uses for rehab when she can get out of bed.

A great rep scheme like 5 x 10 with poundage progression(adding weight to the bar regularly) is your best bet for direct bi and tri work. Pic one good curl variation, and one good tri extension movement.

Could be something like:

Close grip supinate curl:

50 x 10
    70 x 10
    90 x 10
    100 x10
    90 x 10

sets across like:

85 x 10
    85 x 10
    85 x 10
    85 x 10
    85 x 10

Some people thrive on 3 x 10.

Some people even go to 10 x 10 for something they want to prioritize. I do that when feeling my oats. That is not something you sustain for very long, however.

Leave 300+ reps to the cardio bunnies, if you want mass.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

GregWells89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregWells89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregWells89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregWells89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregWells89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregWells89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregWells89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregWells89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregWells89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregWells89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregWells89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jgreystoke View Post
    Absolute bollocks.

You don't need 300+ reps for bis or tris on a particular day, unless you want to use the same weights that Granny uses for rehab when she can get out of bed.

A great rep scheme like 5 x 10 with poundage progression(adding weight to the bar regularly) is your best bet for direct bi and tri work. Pic one good curl variation, and one good tri extension movement.

Could be something like:

Close grip supinate curl:

50 x 10
    70 x 10
    90 x 10
    100 x10
    90 x 10

sets across like:

85 x 10
    85 x 10
    85 x 10
    85 x 10
    85 x 10

Some people thrive on 3 x 10.

Some people even go to 10 x 10 for something they want to prioritize. I do that when feeling my oats. That is not something you sustain for very long, however.

Leave 300+ reps to the cardio bunnies, if you want mass.
    I'm gonna give it a shot for a month and then I will run something else. I'm not looking for a year round program here I'm just looking for something I can do for a month or so to change things up when I plateau. If it works I'll let people know, conversely if it is absolute bollocks as you said I'll admit I was wrong and the program is garbage. But I don't feel I can make an honest judgement on a program until I've given it a try.

skypunk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skypunk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skypunk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skypunk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skypunk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skypunk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skypunk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skypunk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skypunk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skypunk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skypunk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Pointing out that no one else trains as gethin advises should pretty much tell you all you need to know about his program.

If you've done any searching at all about rep ranges and how they relate to muscle/strength gain, you'd already know that the vast majority of people will respond best to sets of somewhere between 6 and 12 reps. No knowledgeable person recommends doing 50 or 40 or even 30-rep sets for hypertrophy.

And yes, I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that you were another gethin nut-hugger.

Reading through this, everything you post is either some negative comment on someone elses post, or calling someone else names. Why would anyone take any advice from such a bitter, old, cynical ass like you? Go back to bingo you trolling grandpa and stop worrying about how others train. Why not try the program yourself and test it before calling others 'noob' for doing it ? Then maybe you'll have some first hand experience to back up your negativity...

Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by skypunk View Post
    Reading through this, everything you post is either some negative comment on someone elses post, or calling someone else names. Why would anyone take any advice from such a bitter, old, cynical ass like you? Go back to bingo you trolling grandpa and stop worrying about how others train. Why not try the program yourself and test it before calling others 'noob' for doing it ? Then maybe you'll have some first hand experience to back up your negativity...
    lol.

ironwills posts are very informative. clearly you seem to fit into the gethin nut hugger group that he describes.

ironwills gives solid advice. follow it and you will indefinitely see better results than the "new and exciting shortcut" routines that gethin seems to continuously put out.
    My log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147800823&p=941910683#post941910683

PSN ID: I_M-th3-b3ast

Playing Skyrim

ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000) ulsak is just really nice. (+1000)
    man, you need to do sum research..

Originally Posted by Sinaku5 View Post
    lol.

ironwills posts are very informative. clearly you seem to fit into the gethin nut hugger group that he describes.

ironwills gives solid advice. follow it and you will indefinitely see better results than the "new and exciting shortcut" routines that gethin seems to continuously put out.
    This^^^
    my workout log -> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147657213
    my blog about weight lifting -> http://jsaarelainen.wordpress.com/
    "May the sun illuminate thy path!"

my currents : sq 319 - dl 419 - bp - 231 - ohp 143
    my goals 2014 : sq 341 - dl 440 - bp 242 - ohp 154

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GregWells89 View Post
    I'm gonna give it a shot for a month and then I will run something else. I'm not looking for a year round program here I'm just looking for something I can do for a month or so to change things up when I plateau. If it works I'll let people know, conversely if it is absolute bollocks as you said I'll admit I was wrong and the program is garbage. But I don't feel I can make an honest judgement on a program until I've given it a try.
    You don't run a real program for a month. That is only enough time for you to get used to it. If it is any good, you run it for several months until it stops delivering gains........or if it is really great.......several years:

Think in terms of getting gradually stronger for reps over the next few years. That's what makes you more awesome.

Anything that is only suited to being run for a few weeks is one of:

1. A short term over-reaching program like Smolov, GVT, AGVT, Junior Smolov etc. You couldn't possibly run one of those long term. That is deliberate over-reaching by design.

Or(more likely):

2. A fictional, possibly ghost-written, "program" that is really about sucking you in to sell supplements.

Or:

3. Something honest and well-meant, but probably written by someone who knows nothing about programming.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

I missed that when I was replying.

Hence the red.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    First, Revolution
    Then, Resolution
    Finally, Evolution

SQ [450x1] BP [285x1] DL [500x1] all @ 230 Raw, Drug Free

Passion For Fitness LiveToRideFast's Avatar
    LiveToRideFast will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiveToRideFast will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiveToRideFast will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiveToRideFast will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiveToRideFast will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiveToRideFast will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiveToRideFast will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiveToRideFast will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiveToRideFast will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiveToRideFast will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiveToRideFast will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    is just doing leg press enough to build the quads up? Dont we need variety?
    Sculpt the body Beautiful

slashdefenix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello people.
    I have a little doubt about DTP Day 3 Chest and Back... What is the difference enter Bent-Over Dumbbell Lat Row and Bent-Over Dumbbell Trap Row? A try to learn this exercise from the vídeos, since I am begginer in a gym, but for me this two is exactly the same exercice, I can't see the diference.
    Somebody can give a little help?

Ps.: Sorry about my english.

TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just came in to say DTP is a joke, and if you actually buy the hype and think bb.com articles are a good information source than you must be incredibly gullible.

Do any decent program. There are a lot of good ones.

zmorey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been doing this program for 4+ weeks, every time i leave the gym i can barley move the muscles i worked! i have never been so sore leaving the gym and i spend half the time in the gym. also im seeing growth in strength and size. the negative side for me was the back workout could have better with pull-downs and rows or something. also not a fan of the ab workouts prefer an ab day vs trying to do abs after the intense leg workout was a pain. i like the structure of this workout, but would tweak it a bit.

ToddG93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ToddG93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ToddG93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ToddG93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ToddG93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ToddG93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ToddG93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ToddG93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ToddG93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ToddG93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ToddG93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    JEESSSSUUUSSS...... take a look at Gethin and then take a look at anyone that has given you advise on this post....... Question answered...Try it. Gethin says that you will experience dramatic change in 4 weeks... That does not mean that you can only run it for four weeks, you could run it for 8-12 ect... the results will not be as dramatic for obvious reasons.. Try it i mean, damn its a four week program. You have nothing to lose giving it a shot.

zmorey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well , i did about 8 weeks of this and the results ehh not the best. i would maybe throw in a week of this once in while. at first the pump i felt was awesome i mean i could barley move leaving the gym. after 3-4 weeks it wasn't the same.. the ab workout is not the best and the leg workout is definitely lacking, only really focusing on your quads. during this workout i did not notice any gains in my legs or calves in strength or size. i like the fact that there was a big focus on stretching i think that is something i will apply to my future workouts. also my forearms and grip have greatly benefited from this workout w/o wrist straps. i give this work out out a D+, would not recommend more than a week of this

SwimGym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SwimGym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SwimGym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by qpbeats View Post
    I've been reading up on Kris Gethins workout program called DTP and wanted to get some feedback from anyone whose tried it/ think it makes sense that it would work to gain some serious mass.

"It combines a lot of volume and a high/low rep principle to activate both fast and slow twitch fibers...."has enabled everyone who has tried it to burn fat and build muscle"

example day:

Arms

* DTP Barbell Curl Superset with Lying Tricep Extension: 1×50, 1×40, 1×30, 1×20, 1×10, 1×5, 1×5, 1×10, 1×20, 1×30, 1×40, 1×50

He sells customized 12 week versions of the program on his website for $150.

krisgethin dot com / program.html

I'm basically trying to gain as much mass as possible in the next 3 months, but the added bonus of losing fat at the same time sounds to good!

So, the question remains, DTP for Mass?? Will it maximize results!?

Have not tried this personally, although I may do in the future.
    Just wanted to shed some light on the program.

There have been multiple studies that suggest higher rep ranges are just as effective in gaining muscle SIZE than the standard 6-12 range. However the 6-12 range will be accompanied by greater gains in strength.
    Higher rep ranges have also been shown to signal an anabolic response for a later/longer time period of 24H after excersise. Whereas lower reps stay to the £H window. (hense the 'anabolic window' term i guess. this longer window allows for muscles to consume a lot more nutrients and maybe trigger larger growth.

Personally, i wouldnt do any workout regime that consists of only high reps. That IMO would be stupid. However maybe there is a benefit of adding a couple-few sets of high reps to try and extend that anabolic response period??

The source for this information is below.. i havent posted 50 times yet so i cant post a link but it is broken up, just copy and paste as usual...
    (contains references)!!!

anabolicminds
    .com/forum/content/
    rep-range-max-1307/?

Please dont throw abuse for saying DTP may be beneficial, just trying to provide some studies as no one seems to do!!!!
    I guess studies are the only way of determining something. As people will always have opinions and want to stick up for what they do!
    Maybe people don't do higher reps as they like/ feel better about going heavy? lifting higher weights?? just an idea

lachterbergh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well guys, i want to share a story with you.
    About a year ago, i started boxing, and started to train REALLY intense. My trainer has an unorthodox view on weightlifting while boxing, so i was following a weightlifting program as the following;
    Monday; Push day
    5x40 behind the neck shoulder press
    5x40 flat bb benchpress
    3x30 skull crushers
    Tuesday; Pull day
    3x40 bicep curls
    3x40 bent over rows
    3x15 deadlifts
    3x40 rear delt flies.
    Wednesday; legs
    5x5 squat
    3x40 walking lunges
    3x30 front squat
    Thursday; no weights
    Friday; no weights
    Saturday; no weights
    Sunday; no weights

Now, me and a buddy of mine started to follow this program intensely, and my body didn't react too great on it, i did get more muscular endurance. And that was the only reason i was still doing it. But my friend got absolutely huge over the last year on the program. And got super strong. And we do TONS of calestethics wich he reacted greatly to also. Now the morale of the story; Dont think a program doesn't work because someone else used it, and it didn't work for HIM, because everybodys body is different, and can react differently on different muscle stimulas.
    I'm making ALL KINDS of gaaainnZzzz