kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

I need a new program. Seriously.

Time and time again it is said on the forum: don't do a program you've cobbled together yourself. Choose a proven program that works with your goals. Yeah... I've done PHUL with some lower body tweaks (glutes instead of calves) the last six months and I'm really, really tired of it. Last time I did lower body, I threw out squats or deads entirely, and did a workout with bulgarian split squats, weighted walking lunges, hip thrusts and a cable donkey kicks/heavy kettlebell swing hi-rep superset. I HAD SO MUCH FUN! I'd really like a challenging program with hypertrophy focus.

I looked at simply shredded. Well, imho it looks a lot like PHUL, only less sets and a higher rep range.
    I have a copy of strong curves - but no, it doesn't quite fit my preferences either, mostly because it's so little upper body work.
    Someone pointed in the direction of shortcut to shred, but I'm looking for a 4-day upper/lower split - otherwise I found it really interesting.

I'm on the verge of "cobble together", or rather tweak a program, to suit my preferences. Feeling a little desperate, 'cause I really want to go to the gym and feel as inspired as I did the other day. Do you have any tips?

chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    6 months is more than long enough to stick with one thing. I always advise people not to cobble together, but i always program my own programs, for the reason you've run into, to keep things interesting, and to avoid certain movements i know don't agree with me etc. Maybe you're at a stage where you can try programming yourself? Make you include the basics or some variation thereof (it doesn't have to be barbell back squats, for eg im doing paused front squats at the moment).

Loads of times i've used this sort of template:
    Heavy compound (Eg barbell bench for 5x5)
    Main accessory (eg DB inc bench for 4x10)
    second accessory (eg DB flye for 4x10)
    Contributory muscle accessory (eg tricep rope ext for 4x10)
    Maybe something like a loaded carry, abs work, etc on the end.

At the end of the day, as long as you've not programmed in mad imbalances (eg 50 sets for chest, 3 sets for back) most programs are relatively equal to the natural trainer, and the effort you put in is the deciding factor really.

If not, t-nation has a million workouts just pick one.
    My band: www.thesunexplodes.com

cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I feel like I could be grilled for saying this but - I believe personally that if you're an experienced lifter, and know what works and what doesn't for you, what you're looking for, etc...then it is perfectly fine to swap in similar exercises in a program that you're getting tired of. Of course, beginners should NOT try to do this on their own, but someone who's done programs for awhile and is getting bored, I believe, is able to take the reins for themselves, if you know what I mean.

I like to do my own "mash-up" workouts for awhile after I complete a program. Keeps things fresh, and I can use what i learned in that program to tweak workouts that I design mostly on my own before finding another program. I get bored very easily anyway.

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Pro tip: You can actually develop your own program. There's nothing wrong with this. The reason people are instructed to do proven programs is that the average person doesn't have the insight to make a good program for themselves, and most of us who do understand program design don't have the patience to teach beginners (who may or may not stick around or even use our advice) or to design programs for them. Besides, those of us who have that level of expertise could generally warrant charging big bucks for an individualised program.

Things you need to know: Whatever you do, it needs to be balanced (or any imbalances need to have a damn good reason for it -- generally that reason is going to be to fix another imbalance, eg doing a disproportionately high amount of upper back work to compensate for an imbalance favouring the chest and anterior deltoids), it needs to be safe for you, and it needs to be productive. Tick off those three boxes with a method and exercise selection that you look forward to doing, and you've probably got a good program.

You don't need to do squats or deadlifts. Other than powerlifters, nobody does. They're useful, but if you hate doing them, you can do step ups and split squats and leg presses and leg curls and hip thrusts and whatever else tickles your fancy. Pick exercises that allow you to overload the target muscles, work them hard, and they will probably work.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have the strong curves book and have followed the full body program for 6 weeks but found that doing full body routines wore me out really fast.
    What I did was take the exercises (or the exercises in the back of the book that you can swap out the ones in the program with) and split them up into 2 upper and 2 lower days. Technically you are still following the program by the exercises, sets, and reps Bret has planned out.

For the upper days I added more sets since obviously the upper portion is very small in his program.

As of now I've moved on to starting a new split that I've mashed together... BUT I did a lot of research and my exercises follow things from Bret's blog so they're not completely made up by me.

I feel like if someone has done their research and influence their program with programs made by experts, that it's completely fine to try out
    Bulking & Lifting :)

Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    From Feburary to end of April I did 5/3/1 in a plan I had customized and saw great results. I followed the basic layout of squat, bench, rest day, deadlift, military press. But then did the accessory movements based on what I like wanted to accomplish. Used this link http://www.jimwendler.com/2012/10/th...-lifts-i-wish/
    To choose the accessory lift I wanted to do. I did the main lift then 3 accessory ones each workout. I felt like that was a good balance between written program and make your own.

kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thank you!
    Well, I've been thinking plenty, and looked at programs I find interesting from different reasons, and I came up with something that I feel good about.
    I've looked a lot at Shortcut to Shred for upper body and Bret Contreras templates for lower body. Plus, I want to do more unilateral exercises which I added (I love dumbbell incline bench press, but I've been doing them for 1,5 years now and I need to change it up - so I'm trying one-arm dumbbell incline bench press).

So, Day 1:
    Barbell bench press (4 sets, 9-11)
    One arm incline dumbbell press (3 sets, 9-11)
    Military press (3 sets, 9-11)
    Barbell row/t-bar row (3 sets, 9-11)
    One arm dumbbell row (3 sets, 9-11)
    Face pulls (3 sets, 12-15)
    + 2 core/abs exercises

Day 2 :
    Front squats/box squats (3 sets, 9-11)
    Sumo deadlifts (3 sets, 9-11 reps)
    Bench step ups (2 sets, 9-11)
    Glute bridge (2 sets, 12-15)
    Superset glutes (2 sets): Back extensions and Band walk/side lying clams, 15-20

Day 3:
    Chins/pull ups, as many as I can
    Standing Cable crossovers (3 sets, 12-15)
    V-grip lat pulldowns (3 sets, 12-15)
    One-arm cable rows (3 sets, 12-15)
    Straight arm pulldowns (3 sets, 12-15)
    Shoulder triset, 3 sets: side lateral raises, 12-15, front raises, 15-20, reverse flyes, 15-20.
    + 2 core/ab exercises

Day 4:
    Hip thrust pyramid, 4 sets: 10, 8, 6, 15.
    Heavy kettlebell deadlift (2 sets), 12-15
    Bulgarian split squat (3 sets), 10-12
    Walking lunges (3 sets), 8-12
    Superset glutes (3 sets) cable donkey kicks/heavy KB swing, 15-20.

Perhaps not the optimal, I really like training my back and not particularly fond of doing chest, and the arms I omitted... I always feel like I have to choose between arms and core/abs and I feel like doing the latter now. It could be changed, too, after I tried it out, but it feels good on paper at least.
    Last edited by kgrrl; 05-29-2015 at 02:58 AM.

chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    That looks on the edge of being too much volume IMO, but if you can get away with it. Would not recommend doing core stuff on non squat/dead days if you're going to be doing your squats/deads the next day. Aka, i would never work abs today if i'm going to be squatting tomorrow, you leave yourself weak in a key area and possibly more open to injury.

Unilateral DB pressing is a bit gimmicky IMO. Its more of an attempt to turn a chest exercise into a core exercise. Besides which, following BB bench press with DB benc press is a bit redundant, they're almost the same exercise. Would swap the DB benching for flyes if i were you.

vhenley164 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhenley164 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhenley164 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhenley164 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhenley164 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhenley164 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhenley164 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhenley164 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhenley164 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhenley164 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhenley164 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Nice thread

I have had the same issue in not being able to find a program that worked for me, included the lifts that I could actually do with my injuries and that I enjoyed doing three times a week.

I just have taken the lifts from one programme, the progression range from another, and added my physio work and taken out the stuff I can't do and it has worked for me.

Feel like a hypocrite as I always tell people to find a good professionally made programme, and I still believe that this is the best way to do it, but I have never actually found one that I want to do. If I was 100% and could do deadlifts and squats I would but at the moment I can't and I have had to learn not to beat myself up about this.

Originally Posted by chamelious View Post
    That looks on the edge of being too much volume IMO, but if you can get away with it. Would not recommend doing core stuff on non squat/dead days if you're going to be doing your squats/deads the next day. Aka, i would never work abs today if i'm going to be squatting tomorrow, you leave yourself weak in a key area and possibly more open to injury.

Unilateral DB pressing is a bit gimmicky IMO. Its more of an attempt to turn a chest exercise into a core exercise. Besides which, following BB bench press with DB benc press is a bit redundant, they're almost the same exercise. Would swap the DB benching for flyes if i were you.

Yeah, I know it's high in volume. I like training with high volume, I got used to it when I had my PT (her programs was even higher volume). Counting what I did with PHUL, this ends up being around the same amount of volume counted on max reps x sets (and I know that I will be at the lower end in several exercises). I've cut down on the number of sets.

The BB bench press and DB incline press following eachother comes from both PHUL and Shortcut to shred. But yeah, I could probably swap days doing flyes and incline presses.
    Last edited by kgrrl; 05-29-2015 at 04:49 AM. Reason: spelling!

Originally Posted by kgrrl View Post
    Yeah, I know it's high in volume. I like training with high volume, I got used to it when I had my PT (her programs was even higher volume). Counting what I did with PHUL, this ends up being around the same amount of volume counted on max reps x sets (and I know that I will be at the lower and in several exercises). I've cut down on the number of sets.

The BB bench press and DB incline press following eachother comes from both PHUL and Shortcut to shred. But yeah, I could probably swap days doing flyes and incline presses.
    I see, i completely missed the "incline" part, my bad that's not so bad.

Originally Posted by chamelious View Post
    I see, i completely missed the "incline" part, my bad that's not so bad.
    As I suspected.
    Thanks for your help and feedback!

Well, the incline one arm bench is out from day 1. Didn't care for them. Barbell bench press I worked in a lower rep range... (5-6 reps). Otherwise it felt really, really good and I had fun. I will lower the rep range on DL's too.