Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Dumbbell flyes vs Machine flyes

I always used to do dumbbell flyes but read here that machine flyes are superior. Is using machines for flies superior to dumbbells because of constant pressure in every part of the movement, unlike the dumbbells?

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'd prefer pec deck or cable flyes over DB flyes.

The issue with DB flyes is when you get your arms directly overhead, your pecs are no longer engaged, you are only taxing your shoulder stabilizers to keep the weight balanced. So to keep the chest engaged throughout the entire lift, you have to reduce your ROM. I'd rather just go with cable flyes, occasionally doing one arm at a time so you can bring the cable across your chest for additional ROM.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post

The issue with DB flyes is when you get your arms directly overhead, your pecs are no longer engaged, you are only taxing your shoulder stabilizers to keep the weight balanced. So to keep the chest engaged throughout the entire lift, you have to reduce your ROM. I'd rather just go with cable flyes, occasionally doing one arm at a time so you can bring the cable across your chest for additional ROM.
    Thanks, are pec decs and machines flyes the same? The machine I have is something like this:

chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    similar but the pec deck your arms are straight out instead of bent at a 90, both will do the same. Cable flies are the best in my opinion
    Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but doesn't nobody want to lift no heavy ass weights. --Ronnie Coleman

Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post

Very interesting. I might have to give cable flyes a try.
    New England Patriot
    MISC Dynasty League Champion 2018

LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I feel like I have much better control over the weight when I use a cable for flys.

flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    They're all good.
    A pattern in the chaos.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Lachdanan View Post
    I always used to do dumbbell flyes but read here that machine flyes are superior. Is using machines for flies superior to dumbbells because of constant pressure in every part of the movement, unlike the dumbbells?
    I prefer pec deck and pec fly machines because of the consistent tension throughout the movement. With DBs, it quickly tapers off.

It's worth keeping in mind that not all pec deck/pec fly machines will agree with your shoulder joints because you're locked into the movement. They have the potential to cause or aggravate shoulder problems.

The other upside to DBs is you're not going to run out of weight as you get stronger.

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Lachdanan View Post
    Superior for what?

If you're asking about adding mass/muscle development, then no, dumbbells are usually superior.
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

Originally Posted by chinesemuscle View Post
    similar but the pec deck your arms are straight out instead of bent at a 90, both will do the same. Cable flies are the best in my opinion
    Thanks will try cable flyes, never did before.

Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
    I prefer pec deck and pec fly machines because of the consistent tension throughout the movement. With DBs, it quickly tapers off.

It's worth keeping in mind that not all pec deck/pec fly machines will agree with your shoulder joints because you're locked into the movement. They have the potential to cause or aggravate shoulder problems.

The other upside to DBs is you're not going to run out of weight as you get stronger.
    Hmm I didn't know it would cause shoulder problems. I don't set them on the same plane as I feel then my shoulders have to overextend to the back, so I put the handles a notch forward so I don't have to go way back with my shoulders.

With DBs, like you said it tapers off very quickly.

Originally Posted by ZoranM View Post
    Superior for what?

If you're asking about adding mass/muscle development, then no, dumbbells are usually superior.
    Yeah I meant size and strength.

SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Cable flys or machine flys will always be better because gravity points down.
    "Worrying about GI is a waste of time & energy." - Alan Aragon.

Salva89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Salva89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Salva89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Salva89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Salva89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Salva89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I like machine flys, they work my chest better. If you dont already do this, Try tilt your head back as far as you can and complete your set. This will make your chest poke out and you will feel the muscle work alot more.

I see people crouch there shoulders forward and concave there chest due to too heavy weight far to often at my gym.

If you want to go heavy then a drop set is the way to go on the fly machine. As its harder to finish a propper heavy set on them without changing your body position.