echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Teach a Fat Man How to Squat.

Am I Doin' it Right?

I've got no education on this (other than what I've picked up here, and by looking at the pictures in SS). Now that I'm finally squatting BW for reps I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly. I'm progressing 5lbs/WO but starting to feel it at the top of my legs in front of where they meet the groin, right at the tendon/bone junction. That becomes a very sensative area for a few hours after my workout.

Thanks for any advice!
    Last edited by echase5; 12-30-2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: fix the youtube code

Murph0408 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Murph0408 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Murph0408 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Murph0408 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Murph0408 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Murph0408 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Murph0408 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Murph0408 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Murph0408 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Murph0408 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Murph0408 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    hard to judge from a side angle. you're certainly going low enough. if the groin area is in pain i think you are bowing your knees outward in order to get so low. i would instead focus on staying back on your heels, keeping your chin up and sending your hips back in order to get so low instead of sending your knees outward.

i find that keeping my chin up helps keep my back straight. pause the video at 27 seconds and you can see your back is not straight. from my experience i worked my form by doing box squats, where you come to a seated position on a bench and pause before going back up. it pretty much forced me to do squats properly

LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You really don't wanna learn how to squat from the Misc behind a computer, get yourself to a recommended gym and ask a instructor/trainer.

Come at me, bro! foodandfitness's Avatar
    foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I notice your back rounding and your weight shifting forward at the bottom of the movement. Also, any reason why you are squatting so low?

joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by echase5 View Post
    Am I Doin' it Right?

I've got no education on this (other than what I've picked up here, and by looking at the pictures in SS). Now that I'm finally squatting BW for reps I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly. I'm progressing 5lbs/WO but starting to feel it at the top of my legs in front of where they meet the groin, right at the tendon/bone junction. That becomes a very sensative area for a few hours after my workout.

Thanks for any advice!
    Your back is arching near the bottom too much - flexibility needs to be worked on. And stop fidgeting!!

bclending is on a distinguished road. (+10) bclending is on a distinguished road. (+10) bclending is on a distinguished road. (+10) bclending is on a distinguished road. (+10) bclending is on a distinguished road. (+10) bclending is on a distinguished road. (+10) bclending is on a distinguished road. (+10) bclending is on a distinguished road. (+10) bclending is on a distinguished road. (+10) bclending is on a distinguished road. (+10) bclending is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by foodandfitness View Post
    I notice your back rounding and your weight shifting forward at the bottom of the movement. Also, any reason why you are squatting so low?
    and what is wrong with squatting so low?

Come at me, bro! foodandfitness's Avatar
    foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by bclending View Post
    Whats right about squatting so low?

echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) echase5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by joelash302 View Post
    Your back is arching near the bottom too much - flexibility needs to be worked on. And stop fidgeting!!
    Any movements you would recommend to improve flexibility and prevent rounding at the bottom? What are these fidgets you speak of?

The SS crowd advocates low squats, and I am doing the classic SS program.

Still, watching myself I wonder if I might be going too low. When I get to the bottom that's where the rounding seems to be occurring, and I do feel my weight shifting toward the front of my feet at that point. Hmmm.....

joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Any movements you would recommend to improve flexibility and prevent rounding at the bottom? What are these fidgets you speak of?
    Practice with bodyweight, and anything for hamstrings and hips... I'm on the wrong computer so I'll find the links at another time. Pretty sure there are some good stretching exercises somewhere on this site.

The fidgeting I'm kind of kidding about but you aren't getting set before you squat, your legs and feet are kind of jumping around.

Nodeal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nodeal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nodeal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nodeal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nodeal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nodeal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nodeal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nodeal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nodeal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nodeal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nodeal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    kudos for squatting.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by bclending View Post
    The lower back often rounds causing the erector spinae to work harder and pinch the rear discs.

If done properly, better flexibility and adapting strength in a more compromised position.

Originally Posted by joelash302 View Post
    The fidgeting I'm kind of kidding about but you aren't getting set before you squat, your legs and feet are kind of jumping around.
    I'm finding my spot there... I have a 1/4" thick stick under te stall matt that I get under my heels while I squat barefoot.

I'll try to find some stretches here... I know this is an extreme noob question, but when should I stretch?

kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100)
    good squat, but it is too fast to catch, then the gym is the best place for it.

Originally Posted by kenny001 View Post
    good squat, but it is too fast to catch, then the gym is the best place for it.
    Thanks, and ... HUH? I don't understand your comment about "fast to catch"

viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There is no need to troll OP. He is a beginner doing SS. This calls for a solid, at least parallel squat. As you did not note , parallel squats are far more beneficial for the knees than the macho quarter squats you'd prefer. Couple that with his desire to learn the movement and we see that the parallel squat provides a better alternative.

OP work on your flexibility. Stretch hams and groin area twice daily. Rounding at a bottom is a function of your hamstrings pulling your lower back. Investigate hamstring PNF stretches on google. This will save you a lot of pain in the long run. Otherwise you're doing great.

Jphill1301 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks, and ... HUH? I don't understand your comment about "fast to catch"
    Your squats don't look all that bad. I am an advocate on deep squats. The problem in going deep especially when breaking parallel is when your anterior and posterior muscle groups enter the deadzone of utilization. There is a point when your quads lose function and your posterior side hasn't fully activated to accept load. Often this results in soft tissue accepting much of the load.

Keep decent slow and under control and you'll be fine. As for the rounding of the back, this isn't something that happens over night. Mentally train your body, while squatting to keep back rigid and tight. Your depth and flexibility more than anything causes the result of a rounded back. What ever you do, don't bouch out of the bottom. Stop the weight under control, use your muscles not your ligaments and tendons.

jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Jphill1301 View Post
    Your squats don't look all that bad. I am an advocate on deep squats. The problem in going deep especially when breaking parallel is when your anterior and posterior muscle groups enter the deadzone of utilization. There is a point when your quads lose function and your posterior side hasn't fully activated to accept load. Often this results in soft tissue accepting much of the load.

Keep decent slow and under control and you'll be fine. As for the rounding of the back, this isn't something that happens over night. Mentally train your body, while squatting to keep back rigid and tight. Your depth and flexibility more than anything causes the result of a rounded back. What ever you do, don't bouch out of the bottom. Stop the weight under control, use your muscles not your ligaments and tendons.
    Totally agree!
    www.fat-burning-techniques.com

Jay

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If by SS you mean Starting strength can you show me on what page of the book Rip says to squat that low ?? SS does not teach you to go lower than just a few inches past parallel.
    It wouldn't be an issue but you are rounding a bit (not much) you don't need to go that low
    the proper depth is when the hip bone is lower than the knee joint.. keep your chest out and you won't round your back
    EDIT
    on second thought and after viewing the video again a few times your depth looks fine..
    but you do relax the hamstring, keep em tight throughout the lift and sit back more
    Last edited by BrotherWolf; 01-02-2011 at 08:43 PM.
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000)
    Everything.
    Negged on recharge.

BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'll try to find some stretches here... I know this is an extreme noob question, but when should I stretch?
    After your workout if you wish ...

Still, watching myself I wonder if I might be going too low. When I get to the bottom that's where the rounding seems to be occurring, and I do feel my weight shifting toward the front of my feet at that point. Hmmm.....
    You need to buy the book and read it .. you're doing ok but you are making some of the typical basic mistakes

Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
    You need to buy the book and read it .. you're doing ok but you are making some of the typical basic mistakes
    Step 1 accomplished, along with the DVD... now to focus on step 2.

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good work.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had the same issue. I thought it was hamstring flexibility, but noticed little improvement even after I could put my palms on the floor when touching my toes. The main thing causing my back to round was tight glutes. Doing this stretch daily gave me noticeable improvements in a little over a week. I also foam roll with a tennis ball every few days.

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Gluteu...us/Seated.html

Location: Nottingham/Derby, England, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Sprog will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sprog will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sprog will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sprog will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sprog will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sprog will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sprog will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sprog will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sprog will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sprog will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sprog will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You've got the depth down now just work on keeping your back straight and you'll be fine