johnom24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnom24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnom24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnom24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnom24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Push press for newbies?!

The super site is suggesting a program that includes the push press for people for people beginning to weight train. Surely this isn't a good idea? I was hoping I could get some advice on any alternative or good replacement exercises for the push press for those of us only beginning to weight train.

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by johnom24 View Post
    The super site is suggesting a program that includes the push press for people for people beginning to weight train. Surely this isn't a good idea? I was hoping I could get some advice on any alternative or good replacement exercises for the push press for those of us only beginning to weight train.
    What makes you think its not a good idea?

The push press is a great exercise, do it. Of course you can substitute it with a strict overhead press if you really want to.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

johnom24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnom24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnom24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnom24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnom24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i got the idea from the fact that level was stated as expert and the exercise logged under Olympic weight lifting. Im all for trying new exercises for sure but wanna avoid any unnecessary injury u know

Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000)
    lol.

seriously... start light, go heavier until you get to a weight that your back starts arching to the point of slight discomfort (versus injury) then go back down a little and do the work there.
    "I'm Mr. Beast, the big bad Fenris wolf, I'm The-End-of-the-World-Man, wearing the flesh of fallen angels!" - Jack Lupino

"after the 3rd set he vomited, after the 4th set, he vomited really, really hard, I did not have him perform a 5th set" - Keith Wassung

Veg can't get big lolwut? Mr.Runner's Avatar
    Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    No point in not learning how to do an exercise. You'll be fine.
    I only seem like I know what I'm talking about, because I only talk about things that I know about.

"One farmer says to me: 'You cannot live on vegetable foods solely, for it furnishes nothing to make bones with,' walking all the while he talks behind his oxen, who with vegetable made bones jerk him and his lumbering plow along in spite of every obstacle."

-Henry David Thoreau

LiftingPeanuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftingPeanuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftingPeanuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftingPeanuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftingPeanuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftingPeanuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftingPeanuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftingPeanuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftingPeanuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftingPeanuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftingPeanuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The push press involves using the legs to help with bar momentum. Is this what you're referring to?

If so, I would start with a regular standing press without using leg assistance.

Registered User burningbuilding's Avatar
    burningbuilding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i hate doing push ups.

spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The push press is easy, and superior to a strict press IMO.

Biggcass302 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i tried push press do to a torn lateria ligament in my ankle i cant do the squat is there a better alternative im aiming at shoulders also its part of yt3 workout week 4 day 26

thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Push press is a very simple exercise - it's just a press with some leg drive. I bet most people do it naturally.
    Brevity is the soul of wit.