Colton_Marek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Corrected bench technique- now high reps or low reps?

I've always benched with a wide grip and flared elbows, and have not been able to break a 300 1RM. I recently corrected my elbows to a 45 degree angle and touch slightly below my chest, and consequently suffered a pretty significant drop in weight I can bench. I hate not being able to bench what I used to but if it'll allow me to do more in the long run, I'm okay with that.
    Can anyone give me tips or pointers to help speed this process up? I figured low weight and high reps would be better for getting used to the technique, but wanted to ask to make sure. Thanks in advance!

terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Colton_Marek View Post
    I've always benched with a wide grip and flared elbows, and have not been able to break a 300 1RM. I recently corrected my elbows to a 45 degree angle and touch slightly below my chest, and consequently suffered a pretty significant drop in weight I can bench. I hate not being able to bench what I used to but if it'll allow me to do more in the long run, I'm okay with that.
    Can anyone give me tips or pointers to help speed this process up? I figured low weight and high reps would be better for getting used to the technique, but wanted to ask to make sure. Thanks in advance!
    Even though you're not pushing the same amount of weight with the new form you can still benefit from a 5x5 or other standard program. If you were pushing 300+ it sounds like you should already have a good head start. Just got to work up to it just like anything else and try to make progress every week. Good luck!

Colton_Marek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sweet, thanks man.