Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Ready To Kick Ass at 40 kyoun1e's Avatar
    Stats: 6'2", 205 lbs
    kyoun1e has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kyoun1e has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kyoun1e has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kyoun1e has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kyoun1e has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kyoun1e has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kyoun1e has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kyoun1e has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kyoun1e has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kyoun1e has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kyoun1e has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit kyoun1e's BodySpace

Tricep Tendonitis -- Treatment? Recovery?

I've had severe pain just above the back of my elbow for four weeks now. Thought initially that this could be due to a pinched nerve, but an MRI was clean. I received a steroid injection in the elbow a week ago and have received some relief. Yesterday, I decided to get some deep tissue work done and my therapist basically told me the lower part of my tricep where it inserts into the elbow is insanely inflamed.

Now that I poke at the tender area it's pretty clear to me that I have a strained tricep or possibly tricep tendonitis since it's been going on for a month now and despite rest and anti-inflamatories, no improvement. I literally can't bend my arm fully without feeling sharp pain in back of the elbow, jsut above the bone.

Anyone go through this and recover?

What was your exercise routine?

I've heard that eccentric exercises are the way to go here to stretch the tendon.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

KY

kyoun1e has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kyoun1e has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kyoun1e has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kyoun1e has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kyoun1e has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kyoun1e has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kyoun1e has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kyoun1e has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kyoun1e has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kyoun1e has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kyoun1e has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Nobody on this huh?

It's my understanding that tricep tendonitis or a tricep strain is rare.

This is not golfer's elbow either which is located below the elbow on the forearm. This is above the elbow, in the back of the arm, where the tricep tendon connects to the elbow.

KY

Stats: 5'9", 139 lbs
    jam88 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jam88 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jam88 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jam88 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jam88 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jam88 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jam88 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jam88 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jam88 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jam88 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jam88 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit jam88's BodySpace
    Hi!

I too have been recovering from a tricep strain. I got it at least 2 months ago but i ignored it for several weeks because i was still making good gains and it was not very painful. I finally decided to rest it after it got pretty bad.

At first i was just taking time off, not really giving it any special attention. then i started wrapping it and taking a bit of Advil to reduce inflammation. After about 2 weeks of doing that with no noticeable improvement i saw a doctor who gave me a NSAID (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) to take twice daily. I also started icing my elbow a few times a day and its been about 4-5 days since then and im finally seeing improvements.

The doctor told me to get physio if it was not healed within a week but im going to hold off on that for a few more days. I dont feel any pain anymore moving my arm but im pretty sure if it lifted/tried to put it under stress I would.

Nobody really told me to exercise it at all, i did read about doing it several times online but 2 doctors told me to stay off of it so i haven't worked out in a month(sucks).

But overall you sound like you have it a lot worse than me. The worst i ever had it was unable to fully extend my arm without pain.

Jam,

Thanks for the reply. I'd say my situation must be a lot worse. God knows why since I don't remember injuring this.

I iced and took advil in bunches for three weeks. Zippo in terms of improvement. I still could hardly bend my arm without fear of shooting pain. Then, I got the steroid injection and that seemed to put a dent in this thing, but damn, this problem is going to take a lot more than that. The shot may have stopped this from getting worse, but it hasn't fixed the problem.

I've also been using an anti-inflamatory gel called Voltranex or something like that. Not sure if it's working.

I think this is going to take some time. I probably need to do specific tricep exercises with very light weight/high reps to a) get the blood floowing to the area for healing, and b) stretch the tendon. I'll probably mix in some tissue work as well.

This is the damndest thing. Still don't recall an "ouch" moment where I fouled this thing up.

KY

Originally Posted by jam88 View Post
    Hi!

I too have been recovering from a tricep strain. I got it at least 2 months ago but i ignored it for several weeks because i was still making good gains and it was not very painful. I finally decided to rest it after it got pretty bad.

At first i was just taking time off, not really giving it any special attention. then i started wrapping it and taking a bit of Advil to reduce inflammation. After about 2 weeks of doing that with no noticeable improvement i saw a doctor who gave me a NSAID (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) to take twice daily. I also started icing my elbow a few times a day and its been about 4-5 days since then and im finally seeing improvements.

The doctor told me to get physio if it was not healed within a week but im going to hold off on that for a few more days. I dont feel any pain anymore moving my arm but im pretty sure if it lifted/tried to put it under stress I would.

Nobody really told me to exercise it at all, i did read about doing it several times online but 2 doctors told me to stay off of it so i haven't worked out in a month(sucks).

But overall you sound like you have it a lot worse than me. The worst i ever had it was unable to fully extend my arm without pain.

jam88 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jam88 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jam88 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jam88 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jam88 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jam88 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jam88 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jam88 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jam88 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jam88 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jam88 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit jam88's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by kyoun1e View Post
    This is the damndest thing. Still don't recall an "ouch" moment where I fouled this thing up.

KY
    ya, me either, I think its something that comes on slowly and builds up, i remember many months ago i was feeling some discomfort when i would rest my elbow on an arm rest of a chair for example, then a while after i noticed it while doing dips, then a while after that it got really bad to the point where i couldn't do a single dip.

Strange indeed.

Stats: 5'6", 125 lbs
    joshrbowman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) joshrbowman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) joshrbowman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) joshrbowman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) joshrbowman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) joshrbowman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) joshrbowman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) joshrbowman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) joshrbowman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) joshrbowman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) joshrbowman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit joshrbowman's BodySpace
    I actually deal with tendonitis regularly in my elbows, forearms, and it just started in my triceps. I was told that you're triceps arent as strong as your bench that you're doing and its causing them to strain. I was also told to lay off any pressing movements for a couple of weeks until it starts feeling better, and if you have to do some pressing movements then use "baby" weight, and only start trying to do them again when your tricep inflamation calms down. Apply the RICE method, and some anti inflamatories and take it from there...
    -if you knew the world was going to end tomorrow, would it change the way you trained today?

-Bigger isn't always better-Oldbutfit

Visit jam88's BodySpace
    Hi again, I found this link and remember this thread so i figured id share.

http://www.discussbodybuilding.com/R...is-m63839.aspx

It has some exercises and stretches in there which might be useful for you. I have yet to try them but i am almost ready to start them, maybe a few more days.

Goodluck!

Originally Posted by jam88 View Post
    Hi again, I found this link and remember this thread so i figured id share.

http://www.discussbodybuilding.com/R...is-m63839.aspx

It has some exercises and stretches in there which might be useful for you. I have yet to try them but i am almost ready to start them, maybe a few more days.

Goodluck!
    Jam,

Thanks much. I actually found this same page myself and starting doing some of these.

Unfortunately, two different physical therapists have told me I DON'T have tricep tendonitis.

What I apparently have is ulnar nerve irritation at the elbow.

Jeesh.

KY

Stats: 5'9", 190 lbs
    Sominex is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit Sominex's BodySpace

Angry I have the same thing, same exact spot. it's horrible

Originally Posted by kyoun1e View Post
    I've had severe pain just above the back of my elbow for four weeks now. Thought initially that this could be due to a pinched nerve, but an MRI was clean. I received a steroid injection in the elbow a week ago and have received some relief. Yesterday, I decided to get some deep tissue work done and my therapist basically told me the lower part of my tricep where it inserts into the elbow is insanely inflamed.

Now that I poke at the tender area it's pretty clear to me that I have a strained tricep or possibly tricep tendonitis since it's been going on for a month now and despite rest and anti-inflamatories, no improvement. I literally can't bend my arm fully without feeling sharp pain in back of the elbow, jsut above the bone.

Anyone go through this and recover?

What was your exercise routine?

I've heard that eccentric exercises are the way to go here to stretch the tendon.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

KY
    same thing but now after like 2 months of this and moving into my apartment my forearm feels weird, like nerve inflammation

Stats: 6'1", 215 lbs
    BodyPoints: 4425
    Foreigner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Foreigner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Foreigner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Foreigner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Foreigner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Foreigner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Foreigner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Foreigner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Foreigner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Foreigner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Foreigner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Visit Foreigner's BodySpace
    The WORST thing to do in this situation is to inhibit your bodies natural healing method, inflammation, by taking anti-inflamatories. If this is a 4 week old injury, then you are still in the tendon "itis" stage. Your best bet at this point would be to immediately stop all exercises that are causing you pain. Next, see a sports medicine doctor that will do an ultrasound diagnoses of the area. This will show potential thickening, disarrangement, inflammation, etc of the tendon tissue. Your best treatment options will be ART (active release technique), PRP (platet rich plasma) and a good knowledgable sports PT. See another doctor if the one you are seeing blindly recommends ICE, rest, and anti-inflammatories. This is a typical diagnosis by completely clueless family physicians. Tendon injuries are not difficult to treat if they're treated correctly early on.

Lastly, don't cheat yourself. TAKE TIME OFF. Injuries of this sort take 6-8 weeks at the minimum to fully heal. You are more then likely doing something wrong if you have this injury in the first place. Overtraining, not enough rest, muscle imbalances, etc.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Foreigner; 03-24-2014 at 09:52 PM.

CombatFetus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit CombatFetus's BodySpace
    OP can you update on what you did to treat this? I have pain on my tricep tendons as well but I also have subluxing ulnar nerves. How can irritation of the ulnar nerve lead to pain in the tricep?