BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000)

How to add protein to muffins?

Ok, so I bought one of those boxed muffin mix things at the store on whim. I decided to make it into muffins as a random snack (100 calories a muffin). But other than the meh carbs it gives me, I was hoping to kick it up a notch with some protein powder. The problem is I do know that when you change the oil or egg ratio, you end up with either lighter or heavier muffins (think cake vs brownies).

My question is how should I change the water/oil/egg ratio for this when adding protein powder? And how much powder to add?

Btw, the box calls for 3/4c water, 1/4 oil, 2 eggs as far as normal mixing goes. And the protein powder I use is 20g per 1 scoop.

I'm hoping someone has done this before and knows some sort of answer...

Edit: As great as a cook as I am, I'm a horrible baker. So I have no idea about the rules of ratio when it comes to these things...
    Last edited by BookMonkey; 12-23-2010 at 03:18 AM.
    Short term Goal: To cut back before bulking like a demon.
    Mid term Goal: To find myself.
    Long term Goal: To get what's mine.

67 lbs in 9 years and still counting... (started at 100lbs)

It's a hater's job to hate. So let them hate...

hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Make the dough yourself; I'm pretty sure you won't get perfect muffins, though, anyway. Protein powder lacks Gluten, and that's what gives wheat products their chewiness.

You could just experiment with the muffin mix a bit, too. No need to overcomplicate things . Just add a scoop of protein powder or two and see what it gets you .

BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by hankst View Post
    Make the dough yourself; I'm pretty sure you won't get perfect muffins, though, anyway. Protein powder lacks Gluten, and that's what gives wheat products their chewiness.

You could just experiment with the muffin mix a bit, too. No need to overcomplicate things . Just add a scoop of protein powder or two and see what it gets you .
    Yeah. When I used the search function all I found were lots and lots of recipes from scratch. I guess I'll experiment for now and try my hand at baking from scratch next time...

Reporting in to say that my attempt was a success. I followed the box as directed (though I used olive oil because I don't own vegetable oil). And before putting them into the muffin pan, I scooped out 1/3 of the batter and added 2 scoops of chocolate protein powder to that. I then added a small egg and some water until it was back to the same consistency as a normal batter (at first, the batter + protein became a thick chalky paste). I then folded this back into the 2/3 batter in the main mixing bowl to create a dual color pattern (the original batter was just plain white with chocolate chips). I then scooped the whole thing into 2 mini muffin trays.

The result:

48 mini muffins each consisting of 53 calories each with about 1.8g of protein and 7.5g of carbs. A few of these on the go is a pretty satiating treat.

Pics to follow...