MikeInIL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Question about Olive Oil converting to trans fat

For the past few months, I've been cooking my eggs (egg whites) in a cast-iron skillet with a slight coating of Olive Oil to limit any sticking and for a slightly better taste.

Now, I've read older threads on here which some people have said that the Olive Oil can convert to trans fat if it gets hot enough prior to cooking...but then I've read others and some external information online that disputes this.

Basically, I pre-heat the skillet with a high flame for about a minute before cooking the eggs for a couple minutes. I'm assuming this is perfectly safe and I don't have anything to worry about? Obviously, I'm not an expert when it comes to cooking oils and how they break down...

Thanks,

Mike

TheSmack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSmack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSmack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSmack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSmack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSmack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSmack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSmack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSmack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSmack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSmack will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MikeInIL View Post
    For the past few months, I've been cooking my eggs (egg whites) in a cast-iron skillet with a slight coating of Olive Oil to limit any sticking and for a slightly better taste.

Now, I've read older threads on here which some people have said that the Olive Oil can convert to trans fat if it gets hot enough prior to cooking...but then I've read others and some external information online that disputes this.

Basically, I pre-heat the skillet with a high flame for about a minute before cooking the eggs for a couple minutes. I'm assuming this is perfectly safe and I don't have anything to worry about? Obviously, I'm not an expert when it comes to cooking oils and how they break down...

Thanks,

Mike
    As far as I know, high heat does not convert olive oil to a hydrogenated oil (trans fat). However, if the heat is too high (above 375 degrees for olive oil) the fatty acids in the oil start to breakdown and smoke. Once you have exceeded the oils smoke point, the quality of nutrition and flavor start to suffer.
    Last edited by TheSmack; 12-19-2010 at 07:19 AM.
    [If It Fits Your Macros Crew]

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TheSmack View Post
    As far as I know, high heat does not convert olive oil to a hydrogenated oil (trans fat). However, if the heat is too high (above 375 degrees for olive oil) the fatty acids in the oil can start to breakdown and smoke. Once you have exceeded the oils smoke point, the quality of nutrition and flavor start to suffer.
    Pretty close. At smoke point oils can breakdown and may create harmful properties. Not transfats but other possible properties. However, the nutrition of an oil can be degraded long before the smoke point is reached. With olive oil that's around 300 degrees.

Cooking your eggs in EVOO is fine. No way are you getting to 300 degrees. When I make homemade jams I'm boiling pureed fruit and sugar for 5-10 minutes just to get to 220 degrees. I know your eggs are at a much, much lower temp.

עבד ישוע - עבד השם access1denied's Avatar
    access1denied is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) access1denied is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) access1denied is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) access1denied is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) access1denied is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) access1denied is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) access1denied is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) access1denied is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) access1denied is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) access1denied is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) access1denied is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Olive oil is a mono-unsaturated fat. This means that there is one free carbon bond in its molecular structure, and when exposed to high cooking heat, this bond will grab an oxygen/hydrogen in its solution. Poly-unsaturated fats have 2 or more free bonds, so when these are exposed to high cooking heat, they oxidize and become hydrogenated. Olive oil is not *as* bad since it is a mono-unsaturated fat, but cooking in fully saturated fats will be superior, since those are much more difficult to oxidize. I recommend cooking your eggs in butter, lard, ghee/clarified butter, or beef tallow.
    "I kept looking in the night visions, and behold, with the clouds of heaven one like a Son of Man was coming, and He came up to the Ancient of Days and was presented before Him. And to Him was given dominion, glory and a kingdom, that all the peoples, nations and men of every language might serve Him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion which will not pass away; and His kingdom is one which will not be destroyed."

ifj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by access1denied View Post
    olive oil is a mono-unsaturated fat. This means that there is one free carbon bond in its molecular structure, and when exposed to high cooking heat, this bond will grab an oxygen/hydrogen in its solution. Poly-unsaturated fats have 2 or more free bonds, so when these are exposed to high cooking heat, they oxidize and become hydrogenated. Olive oil is not *as* bad since it is a mono-unsaturated fat, but cooking in fully saturated fats will be superior, since those are much more difficult to oxidize. I recommend cooking your eggs in butter, lard, ghee/clarified butter, or beef tallow.
    ^ what he said
    Choose your goal and know it. If you don't know where you're going, then you'll end up somewhere else