Thread: Bench problems

andyp1985 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bench problems

Hi guys

I have been training for less than a year, but am really seeing some good gains and enjoying improving my strength. I train with another guy who is similar to me everywhere (biceps, triceps, back etc.) except on barbell bench press, where I lag behind.

For example, with dumbells on a flat bench we both lift 22kg's each arm and can usually do 3 sets of 8-10 reps. However, on barbell bench I am only doing 45kg where as he is doing 60kg+

I am also finding my biceps are being worked, which obviously isn't what you want with bench, but other people at the gym who have observed me can't see where I am going wrong technique wise.

I have less developed right side of my chest and its something I want to even out, so maybe I should stick to dumbells for now, but it's really perplexing why I am struggling so much with the barbell in comparison to dumbells, as in theory I should be able to lift more with the barbell.

brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by andyp1985 View Post
    Hi guys

I have been training for less than a year, but am really seeing some good gains and enjoying improving my strength. I train with another guy who is similar to me everywhere (biceps, triceps, back etc.) except on barbell bench press, where I lag behind.

For example, with dumbells on a flat bench we both lift 22kg's each arm and can usually do 3 sets of 8-10 reps. However, on barbell bench I am only doing 45kg where as he is doing 60kg+

I am also finding my biceps are being worked, which obviously isn't what you want with bench, but other people at the gym who have observed me can't see where I am going wrong technique wise.

I have less developed right side of my chest and its something I want to even out, so maybe I should stick to dumbells for now, but it's really perplexing why I am struggling so much with the barbell in comparison to dumbells, as in theory I should be able to lift more with the barbell.
    take a vid of you benching with your working weights