Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    champion w8lifter in prog boykid28's Avatar
    boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by GoJu View Post
    newest video today, where I did heavy triples and singles

[youtube]mvYqZGHM_fc[youtube]
    omg, so much F^ckin better. F^ckin finally. but on some of those reps it looked like u were gonna fall over or somethin. now just keep it up. that seems to be a better tempo for u. its not fast (like me) but its not as slow as b4.
    -we are what we repeatedly do. therefore, excellence is not an act but a habit.
    -sollevatore di pesi campione in corso
    -"that guy is running in shorts"Dr.House
    "he's not running, he's trolling"Dr.Wilson

gym PR's:

snatch:90kg
    clean & jerk:117.5kg
    total:202.3kg

oly squat:179.5kg

journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130985093

3rd pull will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3rd pull will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3rd pull will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3rd pull will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3rd pull will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3rd pull will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3rd pull will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3rd pull will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3rd pull will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3rd pull will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3rd pull will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    That's the stupid shit Jim Wendler says in his articles when he wants to sound like a badass to noobs.
    Don't really know how to say this without being offensive....but you are still a noob. Familiarity with a wide range of training programs and knowing how to argue intelligently about biomechanics, proper bar path, etc. does not elevate your training maturity.

In weightlifting knowledge does not necessarily equal power all of the time.

(I'm not trying to start a ****storm, its just that reading this thread has made me realize that I basically respond to constructive criticism the same way you do, and hopefully from here on out I will change that).

raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by GqArtguy View Post
    So? I can respond to your posts, especially if youre giving out incorrect advice or examples.
    Sure you can, but why talk about shifting goal posts when it was my first response to you?

You said you see no reason to have to move fast to get stronger (which is incorrect in terms of building up maximal effort strength) and then used yourself with slow training and apparently you think Coan lifted slowly/didnt lift fast enough.
    How am I incorrect? Plenty of people have become very strong without trying to move the weight fast.

I used myself as an example because it shows that you can get stronger even if you are exaggerating the slowness.

I mentioned Coan to combat the dive-bomb descent that was being pushed. It just isn't necessary.

I stated that Coan did move fast or at least tried to move as fast he could when exerting force into heavier weights. Thats the whole point of max effort even if the weight itself doesnt move fast. This doesnt mean he had to or did bounce his squats out of rock bottom but he definitely used a stretch reflex to get up rather than take 5 seconds down and 5 up with a pause in the bottom. Your whole use of Coan to advance your misunderstanding of strength is incorrect.
    Of course you will apply maximum effort to weights that require maximum effort. Where do you think I stated otherwise?

I never said that you should not use the stretch reflex. I never said Coan squatted 5 seconds down 5 seconds up.

How do I misunderstand strength?

I agree with Cracky that his descent and ascent are really different, he lifts his ass when coming out of the hole...
    A lot of people do this and squat more 240lbs. Interestingly you can get the 1995 Ironmind and watch Botev descend slowly and let his hips come up early with 320kg.
    "However, the strength of the hamstring muscles is crucial to fully exploit the strength potential of the quads and ultimately the vertical force that the athlete is able to impart to the barbell." - Andrew Charniga, Jr.

boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000)
    omg. some1 please find a moderator to close this thread (all seriousness).

gym PR's:

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by boykid28 View Post
    omg. some1 please find a moderator to close this thread (all seriousness).
    Why? There's nothing wrong with this thread.

Goju, new vids look a lot better to me. Keep it up!

Olympic Lifter & Coach GqArtguy's Avatar
    GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by raffiki View Post
    Sure you can, but why talk about shifting goal posts when it was my first response to you?
    Because you changed your argument when pointed out on it.

How am I incorrect? Plenty of people have become very strong without trying to move the weight fast.
    Because if you want to get absolutely strong, you need to apply maximal effort which requires max force to move it which means you do not lift slowly intentionally. You can say you didnt say this, but you also "see no reason to move weights fast to get strong" so it doesnt matter. So far youve mentioned Ed Coan, and he did not intentionally go slow throughout his whole movement. At best he controlled his descent but he blasted out of the bottom.

I used myself as an example because it shows that you can get stronger even if you are exaggerating the slowness.
    You went from 185x3x3 to 225x3x3 in 4 weeks, frankly at that level, simply changing the training stimulus will result in gains (unless you weigh 50kg). Theres a lot of written debunking slow training training and its strength benefits.

I mentioned Coan to combat the dive-bomb descent that was being pushed. It just isn't necessary.
    You said "Half this 5-page thread is people claiming that his squat has stagnated because he doesn't lift fast enough. So apparently Ed Coan never actually got strong" implying that Ed Coan somehow lifted slow. For some reason you think bouncing requires dive bombing which it doesnt.

Of course you will apply maximum effort to weights that require maximum effort. Where do you think I stated otherwise?
    You didnt, you kept shifting goal posts to fit Ed Coan into your argument that you dont need to move weight fast to get stronger.

A lot of people do this and squat more 240lbs. Interestingly you can get the 1995 Ironmind and watch Botev descend slowly and let his hips come up early with 320kg.
    Youre blind, I have that video and his torso did not drift forward or change angles has his hips came up (unlike Goju). You can also see him bounce out without dive bombing the squat.
    Olympic Lifting Coach

My Demo Vids and some training:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mhbuitrago

JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    blind adherence to generalities of technique will only lead to failure for those whom which those generalities do not work
    Powerlifting log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172662011&page=1

batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    this thread is a joke thread of 2010
    NB! If i accidentally neg you or forget to rep back, pm me :3

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by batmannu View Post
    this thread is a joke thread of 2010
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

[img]http://www.ruggli.com/bilder/inhalt/produkte/cl-3m_tampon.jpg[img]
    no, she is right this time.

gym PR's:

raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000)

Because if you want to get absolutely strong, you need to apply maximal effort which requires max force to move it which means you do not lift slowly intentionally. You can say you didnt say this, but you also "see no reason to move weights fast to get strong" so it doesnt matter. So far youve mentioned Ed Coan, and he did not intentionally go slow throughout his whole movement. At best he controlled his descent but he blasted out of the bottom.

You went from 185x3x3 to 225x3x3 in 4 weeks, frankly at that level, simply changing the training stimulus will result in gains (unless you weigh 50kg). Theres a lot of written debunking slow training training and its strength benefits.

You said "Half this 5-page thread is people claiming that his squat has stagnated because he doesn't lift fast enough. So apparently Ed Coan never actually got strong" implying that Ed Coan somehow lifted slow. For some reason you think bouncing requires dive bombing which it doesnt.

You didnt, you kept shifting goal posts to fit Ed Coan into your argument that you dont need to move weight fast to get stronger.

Youre blind, I have that video and his torso did not drift forward or change angles has his hips came up (unlike Goju). You can also see him bounce out without dive bombing the squat.
    Alright dude. You obviously have some pre-conceived notion of what I was getting at, and any explanation on my part will only be shifting goalposts. You said yourself that a maximum lift will not move fast, so I stick with my original statement that you don't need to lift fast to get strong.
    "However, the strength of the hamstring muscles is crucial to fully exploit the strength potential of the quads and ultimately the vertical force that the athlete is able to impart to the barbell." - Andrew Charniga, Jr.

batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    [img]http://www.ruggli.com/bilder/inhalt/produkte/cl-3m_tampon.jpg[/ img]
    you could hold both of these tampones TIGHT in your palms and not type anymore
    NB! If i accidentally neg you or forget to rep back, pm me :3

PrivateEye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PrivateEye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PrivateEye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PrivateEye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PrivateEye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PrivateEye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PrivateEye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PrivateEye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PrivateEye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PrivateEye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PrivateEye will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    what ever happened to GoJu?

I hope he continued to improve his flexibility

biglbs385 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I find if i have a cup of tea first,i can belch all the way up with 480lbs for a few reps and no one notices how i did it! x

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by PrivateEye View Post
    what ever happened to GoJu?

I hope he continued to improve his flexibility
    I'm still alive, my flexibility has actually gotten pretty good but my training right now is very random due to school, work, and the fact that I've been picking up martial more consistently again. I've just been doing lots of cleans and pullups with various other exercises thrown in; I need to review my schedule so I can get on a more structured lifting routine soon, and buy a new pair of oly shoes since the heel is coming off of my current ones and this is the 5th or 6th time I've glued them back together lo..
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100)
    Hi, thread title says it all.

Right now, I'm 5'10 and weigh roughly 190-200lbs and have been doing rippetoes for my squat since I still can't lift 315 for a single I figured I'd do a basic routine, I started at 185lbs and have been adding only 5lbs a session for a while but recently I've been stuck at only 240 for the last several sessions (like the last 6-8 of them) usually at 3x3@240. I figured I would just stick with 240 till I got 3 sets of 5 and increase then but I haven't been able to get to the 3 sets of 5 reps and its quite frustrating. I read all the time that people make extremely fast and easy gains on rippetoes (or any routine for that matter) at my level and I've never seen anyone my size stuck at so low a weight.

I've done several squat routines in the past but nothing seems to have worked, however I'm squatting 'correctly' for the first time with proper flexibility but I still think I should've made faster progress than this.

My sticking point seems to be right at parallel where the bar just stops moving, I've been squatting a lot faster lately but my bounce out of the hole hasn't been propelling me past that sticking point fast enough.

A powerlifter friend of mine suggested my glutes aren't firing properly, could that be the case? I also think my core is weak so I have been doing work like ab pulldowns and ab wheel to try and fix it, anything esle I could do? Should I work the low back more for this sticking point? Should I go on a different routine? I've even stopped oly lifting short of bar work for both lifts so I could focus on the squat and even being fresh doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Sorry for the long read, but any and all help is appreciated.
    Back off on the weight until you can manage to get 12 reps out. Then, continue squatting with that weight until you can do more than 20 reps. Once you can, increase the weight by 10% and repeat the process. If you see a complete cessation of progress during this time, add an extra rest day between workouts.