Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    lskandar is just really nice. (+1000) lskandar is just really nice. (+1000) lskandar is just really nice. (+1000) lskandar is just really nice. (+1000) lskandar is just really nice. (+1000) lskandar is just really nice. (+1000) lskandar is just really nice. (+1000) lskandar is just really nice. (+1000) lskandar is just really nice. (+1000) lskandar is just really nice. (+1000) lskandar is just really nice. (+1000)
    2 hours of sleep, no food, work from 5 til 4:30 but still got in a solid night of training for some reason. All i had was a bar of chocolate and a coffee and I was out the door again.

Worked on basic escapes from stalling guard then head snap run arounds to hooks in. Three of us put in about 100 reps each in the half hour. I think that is how I'll drill from now on, just smash out as many reps as possible. I'm prone to taking my time just going through the motions and I tend to forget movements due to this.

Wrestled 3 rounds. Lazily decimated one of my training partners who I'm starting to get annoyed at. Not because he's an irritating person but he's losing confidence and not even trying. Giving everything up to easy, tapping before submissions are locked in. He needs to find his motivation again.
    Rolled with my most bitter rival who did well early, using his size and strength to put me on my back, move to side control and eventually to mount. I ended up in his guard after escaping, he tried to sweep, I passed and took his back seconds before the buzzer.
    Then just screwed around with a cute girl, put her in an armbar, made her escape it properly, let her try and finish the guillotine, showed her a sweep.

Not a bad effort considering the circumstances.
    Kickboxing was brutal. We warmed up with some skipping then went straight into a brutal fitness session involving a partner, where you do 2 laps around the mat while your partner performs one of 4 exercises. You combine reps to total 70 before moving on to the next exercise. Me and my partner finished early so we were running laps for a good 5 minutes waiting for the others to finish.

We worked on leg checks and counters, luckily for the only time this year I brought my shin pads to a basics muay thai class.

There is an amateur MMA event that got cancelled recently that will be put on February next year. Seriously considering it.

lskandar is just really nice. (+1000) lskandar is just really nice. (+1000) lskandar is just really nice. (+1000) lskandar is just really nice. (+1000) lskandar is just really nice. (+1000) lskandar is just really nice. (+1000) lskandar is just really nice. (+1000) lskandar is just really nice. (+1000) lskandar is just really nice. (+1000) lskandar is just really nice. (+1000) lskandar is just really nice. (+1000)
    RIP Joe Frazier.

Going to be throwing left hooks all night during sparring.

Lots of sparring drills tonight. Went through covers, slips, weaves and then strike specific rounds ie lead hand only sparring. 3 full contact rounds to finish.

I got a little irritated with a partner and we may have ended up going a little harder than usual. I kept the jab in his face and landed the right to the body and left to the head almost at will. No bad blood I just felt he got over aggressive during drills and when trying to land a clean shot.

I spent most of the night shoulder rolling everyone. I only got hit cleanly a couple of times and was consistent with parrying, catching and slipping the jab. The right hand counter off the shoulder roll works often because people aren't used to it but I learned quickly to keep my right hand up because one guy had a nasty counter lead high kick.

I also need to move my head and keep my guard up after successful body shots as I took a big counter right as I landed one time. Dude wasn't even looking as he threw it but it still caught me and taught me an important lesson.

Only real issue I'm having is I forget to use my speed sometimes which is weird. It is like I forget I can move alot faster. I need to condition myself into being full speed at all times. Overall very productive night. Unrelated but I think I am going to make myself a slip bag.

Didn't go to BJJ but will go tomorrow for 2-3hrs.

Went through the entire 3 stripe routine on friday. 3 weeks til grading. Not sure if I'll work on 4 stripe as well, I still want my game to be better before I wear the highest possible whitebelt rank at my school. I can hang with any white belt there now but this is a personal journey and that isn't a proper measure of ability. In my mind I have some ways to go. I understand there is no rush with grading itself since my focus is MMA but this sport does weird things to you and a new belt becomes a very desirable accessory.

Todays session was awesome. Worked on two new guard passes and then into ankle lock finishes and defences. White belts are now allowed to use them in comps so I've been real careful with throwing my legs around in training lately. Rolled with my friend, he nearly got me in the straight ankle lock early on as I forgot all about it but i got on top and slipped out. Got him with the half nelson lapel choke, from side mount and the cross lapel from mount. First time I've ever tapped someone with a collar choke, glad I worked on them on friday. This was more like a warm up round because the dude doesn't seem to try anymore.
    Then I wrestled another guy who recently won a gold in his division no gi at a local comp. He weighs mid 90's but I was all over him. I was on top in side control at one point and he basically used strength to reverse me and move to side control himself. I retained guard and swept him and went for the cross lapel choke til buzzer sounded. Good confidence boost. I think my coaches are really starting to take notice now, I'd love to get some kind of work and extra training there!

Third round wrestled a little kid and just made him escape bad positions.

I'm in really, really good shape at the moment and my sleep/recovery/diet/lifting is the best it has been for a very long time. I think I'm starting to come off as arrogant or egotistical in this journal but I'm just getting confident and it's been really hard to get to this point considering where I was not even a year ago.

I'm getting the itch to compete badly, but I won't scratch it til next year like I promised myself. I still have goals to meet.

Drilled white belt techniques for half an hour before free rolling.

My buddy who never tries decided to try today. He did a lot better and stopped me from being on offense the whole time. Subbed him with an arm lock.

Second round all the white belts seemed to avoid me, so one of our strongest blue belts partnered up with me. I wrestled him when I'd been training for only a couple of months
    Originally Posted by lskandar View Post
    - Blue belt #1. Dude was sick, tapped me out 3 times and made me feel pretty stupid. Needless to say I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially when I defending his arm triangle, which I think I am impervious to, and his armbar that he just couldn't secure. He gave up on the kimura pretty quick as well.
    He must have worked on his arm triangle because he got it in tight this time and I wasn't about to see how long it took for me to fall asleep so I gave up the tap. He only got me once however but damn I was exhausted by it. I'd honestly forgot how much an ass whooping tires you out.

Got beat up tonight. Muay Thai. Sparred 2 pro's and a couple amateur fighters on top of going 8 rounds.

First 2 rounds touch sparring.
    No drama's here, sparred two bigger guys, kept the head moving, slipped the left and rolled the right, checked every kick.

Was feeling good the next few rounds, kept my jab out, kept landing that inside leg kick and didn't really take any clean shots.

1st ammy fighter landed a really nice leg kick which really jacked me up. I kept circling towards his rear leg so I wouldn't take any more kicks like that.
    I imposed my will on him as far as foot work and drew him into my right hand a couple of times. Also came over the top with the left when he dropped his right hand to kick.
    Pretty even round though I took some big kicks, mostly on the gloves.

1st pro. He left his hands low and made me come towards him. After a few exchanges he'd come in with a flurry but I covered up and countered.
    I got in some decent body shots but he countered up top and set up some strong leg kicks with punches. He was hard to tag and I need to put more forward pressure on.
    I was not setting up with the jab enough and just throwing single shots which he easily avoided.

2nd pro. He just beat me up. My left hook got through once and a right hand to the body but it was all one way traffic. Got dropped on my ass with a big leg kick.
    Took a few to the body, got lit up when he got inside. Was a relief when that round was over.

2nd ammy. Just kept dancing around. He's around my height but has freak reach and I was having difficulty getting inside because of his footwork and jab.
    We just boxed. I took a counter left hook to the throat which was new, and I got tagged a couple of times coming in due to not having my guard up.
    I was rolling the right hand though and I got through to the body. We both fight with our left hand down but mine was a lot higher by the end of the round(lol).

My legs are jacked up and I took my licks but to be honest I can't wait to get in there next week and do it again.

Passed on BJJ tonight. None of my usual training partners were there so I decided to get an early dinner, ice my wounds and get an early night.

Back in the gym. Went through 45 moves for 3rd stripe. 2 more stripes(3rd and 4th) then I'll jump right back into the competition circuit.

Decent effort during live roll today, a little bit rusty with the week and a half off. Got the sub in my first round, third round was against one of our pro's. A good blue belt.

He's had a while off due to a broken hand, so he was rusty as hell and unfit. He's also a little smaller. I beat him easily enough but it was a good back and forth match. He'll definitely be back to kicking my ass in a month.
    Was happy with my effort though.

Kickboxing was just grading stuff too. We have a shirt system, and your shirt level basically ensures you get better sparring because you know who is at your level and who is higher/lower etc. We did burpees. I ended up doing 200 of them because I'm an idiot.

I'm going to be sore tomorrow.

Still training!

Got my ass kicked all week. BJJ grading monday. Despite a small positional mistake by my partner I got through it no issues. 3rd stripe. 1 more to go before I'm under review for a blue belt.
    Tuesday was MT grading. Went through all the necessary tech, then had to partner up with a higher shirt level as they had odd numbers. Ended up doing more tech than I was supposed to but I learned it as my partner did them so it was satisfying when I was finished. We padded up for sparring and I got in some good intense rounds. Moved up another shirt colour.

Wednesday I was sore as hell but got in a decent BJJ session. Worked on subs from back and the cross ankle lock. Stuff I'd already done for grading. I was glad to rehash it though as it is a goal of mine to perfect and solidify my white belt technique before I get promoted.
    Sparred yesterday. Had some decent rounds until I came up against one of the taller advanced guys who kicked my ass around the mat. I caught him with a left hook over the top early and he switched on kill mode. He nearly dropped me with a kick to the sternum but I finished the round. Was a bit demoralizing but that's how it goes. I gotta pay my dues. I also need to put in more conditioning work as I am gassing way too often.

Wrestled like a boss during BJJ though. My first round was mediocre and I made some bad mistakes on top of being taken down but I pulled off a monumental effort for the rest of the night. I survived and thrived against 2 purple belts who definitely seemed like they were going close to 100%. I still lost the first match and possibly the second but I have never rolled so well during my training lifespan. Managed a sweep, a reversal from side control which was met with 'you have got to be kidding me' by my partner. Got the single leg which when defended I turned into a Barsagar. My instructor was super impressed with how I performed, and the purple belts seemed pretty surprised. I doubt I'll do so well again but I felt really good about it especially since I took such an ass whooping during sparring. I then finished up with one of our strongest white belts and managed to hold dominant positions.

What up.
    I think I'm finally back on track. Drilled single leg takedowns and half guard passes yesterday. Rolled 3 rounds. Worked on position and maintained top control on my buddy. Put a 3 stripe blue belt through his paces. Landed a few sweeps, escaped the arm triangle set up and ended up in full mount at the end.
    Been working with calisthenics the past month or so. I need to build up a good work tolerance before I combine lifting and MMA, especially since I train so damn much these days. I got my first one arm push up last week and I'm working on my one arm pull up and pistol squat. Going to progress patiently until I can work in lifting again. Roughly 180lbs soaking wet. Diet is a million times better than it was last year.

Extra MMA sessions are available to me as of next week. Super pumped.

Put in 30 minutes of boxing in the morning. Some rounds on the heavy bag and double end bag, few rounds of shadow boxing and foot work.
    BJJ was all mount control focused. Naturally it deteriorated into me and my buddy rolling. I need to be careful in guard, if a guy has longer legs and a good grip on my collar he can set up triangles and my escapes suck.
    During free roll just worked on my passing. The half guard pass work we did on monday has actually helped my game a lot. I was using a lot more pressure to pass and impose my game and it makes all the difference in the world.
    I need to get in more time with the blues/purples, I know every white belts game too well now.

I talk alotta sh-t but hopefully I'll be able to get an account up and start getting some videos rolling. Been smashing my body weight goals. Feeling fit.

Back on the leangains version of IF diet.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

Trying to keep food sources as natural as possible, lower my gluten and carbs and really bring more cruciferous veggies into my diet. I'm sort of recomping my body at the moment. I've gained weight but I've got a bit leaner. Protein and fats are high.

Tendonitis in left elbow, I keep hyper-extending that bitch.

Going to be training my ass off the next 4 weeks to prepare for my 4th blue stripe. I have to completely switch up the order of my demonstration and I have about 10 new moves to learn and perfect.

Then once that is done there's a murderers row of competitions I'll probably enter. Not sure what weight class.

I want to get at least 20 days in the gym over the next 4 weeks.

Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Advanced_Bot is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This is a solid log, you put alot of effort into you're workouts man and its good that you are going to keep track of food sources, I always just buy regular somewhat healthy items but probably should put more thought into it, good luck over the next 4 weeks nothing is more gratifying than working towards a particular goal and achieving it!

Originally Posted by Advanced_Bot View Post
    This is a solid log, you put alot of effort into you're workouts man and its good that you are going to keep track of food sources, I always just buy regular somewhat healthy items but probably should put more thought into it, good luck over the next 4 weeks nothing is more gratifying than working towards a particular goal and achieving it!
    thanks man, I have been slacking a bit recently with only myself to blame, so the next 4 weeks is my redemption.

My diet has always been a problem factor in my training and now I'm really trying to work on it. Hopefully I'll see a big difference over the coming months.

Worked through mount escapes. A basic elbow escape and an explosive hip escape where you push your opponent and get your knees out from under mount, moving to a butterfly guard.

Rolled 4 rounds. First round I pulled off my first legit bow and arrow choke. 2nd round I took the back early on and worked on finishing from there. Couldn't get anything, the dude was a wizard, he said he'd been watching Saulo Ribeiro choke defence instructionals so I need to find these so I can beat that defence. 3rd round I got mauled by a huge blue belt, I got caught by a north-south choke I didn't see coming til too late. I didn't do too badly considering. 4th I just played half guard on a relatively strong white belt. I have two decent sweeps from there now.

Extra wrestling and boxing classes are becoming available now, not a moment too soon.

Last night was all distance and angles. Countering off the pivot and following your opponent around the mat.

We geared up for sparring and I was doing okay. My timing was a little off which wasn't surprising, but I was countering and moving well.
    Came up against one of our pros and he was coming forward aggressively. I countered with some decent shots but he was landing with the kicks.
    I ducked under the right hand and as he disengaged he threw the left kick which I was moving right into. Caught me right on the bridge of the nose and busted me up good.
    I couldn't continue I was leaking everywhere .Got cleaned up and changed into my gi for BJJ.
    We went through a modified basic sweep that one of our guys picked up while training in brazil.
    I didn't roll too good. Got beat by a smaller guy, then the 2nd round I got out wrestled and submitted by a blue belt. Right at the end my nose started bleeding again so I was done for the night.

I have a lot to work on. It sucks so much that I'm missing classes and getting beat up cause of it. Only looking ahead now though.

Drilled techniques for upcoming belt testing. I know 45/50 of them. Next week I should be able to do all 50 then the week or two after is just polish.

I need to be able to rep them all out in under 10 minutes but I don't want to rush the learning process because they're all fundamental moves that you'll rely on throughout your BJJ career.

I'll be glad when that sh-t is out of the way and I can get competing.

I am not doing well at all lately. Being shut down by guys I should be handling, making bad mistakes way too often. Nose is busted up, aches and pains everywhere.

Just feeling sorry for myself! I am aware that these rough patches are where I'll learn the most and get the most experience, but it can be a little demotivating. Just going to keep forging ahead.
    My takedown percentage has definitely increased, I am just taking all sorts of risks in training where I don't care if I get caught and it's really paying off. Before I'd be so worried about 'losing' that I wouldn't commit to a takedown or throw.

Now it's just a matter of drilling them so I can finish. The double leg is hard in the gi, I need to learn some Judo.

Put in an hour of pad work with a focus on knees. I'm not sure if I'll spar on thursday, my nose keeps bleeding. I'll see how it feels tomorrow morning.

sup.

Unfortunate turn of events led me to miss out on a month of training. I'm back in the gym next week, but I've not been idle. I've spent the last few weeks lifting running the routine ftwrestler helped me with a while back.

I haven't quit, nor will I ever. I'll be back soon.

random_guy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) random_guy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) random_guy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) random_guy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) random_guy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) random_guy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) random_guy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) random_guy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) random_guy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) random_guy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) random_guy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hey Iskandar, whereabouts in Sydney are you? I used to live in Blacktown; about 5 minutes from the Gracie Barra. I'm training in Singpore now.
    110 lbs to lose! :)

I'm back again. Still training, just had a bit of an adjustment these last couple of months. I was going to make a run at pan pacs but I'm not going to be prepared so I'm pouring all my time into qualifying for BJJ worlds in february. I've started running again and got into good shape. If my coaches think I'm ready by the end of the year then I'll probably take an amateur fight.
    I've pretty much confirmed my overseas training adventure for next year, a little bit after world trials. I plan to go to Cuba! And then Thailand for some strong striking training, then go to the US, hopefully Jacksons. I really can't wait so I'm working my ass off to make sure I can afford it all.
    Going to be logging my strength and conditioning as well as my training. Going to add notes, things to work on and training progress.

Thanks to anyone who follows.
    Originally Posted by random_guy View Post
    Hey Iskandar, whereabouts in Sydney are you? I used to live in Blacktown; about 5 minutes from the Gracie Barra. I'm training in Singpore now.
    Reply sent.

Rolled for a few hours friday night.
    Any of you guys needing grip strength, try rock climbing. Murder on the forearms.

Currently working on this and butterfly guard.

Got in some good time with a purple belt. I've been calling out every purple and blue belt in the gym haha. I see the biggest improvements in my games when I wrestle these guys. My cardio has been great, probably due to all the sprinting I've been doing. I'm gonna start running hills and smashing stuff with a sledgehammer.
    I'm obsessed with pushing my cardio now. The gym is getting packed out with new whitebelts at the moment. I never really had any trouble with the tap out type of people but they're starting to pop up more and more. MMA is really growing exponentially.
    I'm gonna have to train harder and more than ever to keep up with these young kids and sick athletes that are coming up. Morning and night sessions now.

Time to step it up.

In weight gaining mode at the moment. I want to put on weight and diet in the weeks leading up to the comp and come in strong for my weight class.

Got some extra gi classes scheduled. It is going to be interesting trying to balance my first amateur match and world trials.

minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just went over most of your log. Good work; it's motivating and it also reminds me of how much work there is to do for me.
    Last edited by minandmax; 08-22-2012 at 09:58 AM.

Originally Posted by minandmax View Post
    Just went over most of your log. Good work; it's motivating and it also reminds me of how much work there is to do for me.
    Thanks man. I don't like re reading it because to me I feel that I look really immature and egotistical, but I'm glad you're getting something from it.

I spar twice a week at the moment and I get in plenty of pure boxing on the bags, so I expect to see the most improvement in my hands.
    I need to train more no gi and get in more MMA classes though, but I make up for it where I can with lots of solo drills. Gi BJJ tonight, boxing and no gi tomorrow.

40 minutes of heavy bag work yesterday.
    10x3 minute rounds. 1 minute rest.
    Focus on moving around the bag, maintaining distance, body-head combinations and good footwork/head movement as I move in to attack.
    Gi BJJ last night. The rolling back attack is really working for me, I love it. I keep forcing it but I AM trying to get good at it before moving onto other techniques. Looks like I have a reputation as the guy who likes to do flashy stuff.

Going to be doing a lot of solo drilling:

Will pick 3-4 of these a week and use them as a warm up for my road work and bag work.
    Drilling my double leg shot is also a priority.

Just got back from some sprints with my mountaineering buddies.

50 metre laps. Each lap ends with a burpee.
    8 laps. 1 min rest
    6 laps. 1 min rest
    4 laps. 1 min rest
    2 laps.
    Repeatx2
    2 minute rest between

This absolutely kills you, but I've noticed a huge improvement in my fighting cardio. We're working on cutting the rest down to 1 minute between major sets.

Going to go rock climbing tonight since my buddy is back from holidays, then it's straight into training again tomorrow.

Time to eat big and rest up.

Lots of gi training the last few days.

Drilled my back attacks, and some of Galvao's gi attacks from guard. One sweep, one submission and one backtake all from the same set up. Might be doing more gi tomorrow.

Sprints earlier. Same format as last update.
    50 metre laps. Each lap ends with a burpee.
    8 laps. 1 min rest
    6 laps. 1 min rest
    4 laps. 1 min rest
    2 laps.
    Repeatx2
    2 minute rest between

It's definitely time to increase the difficulty. Was killing it today.

Looks like I'll be focusing mostly on gi training for world trials. Once I compete, I'll be transitioning straight into hard MMA training, get my first amateur fight and if I qualified for worlds, dive into hard gi training and then do my overseas trip.

Going to stick with this 5x5 routine for a few months before moving to 5/3/1.

Heavy and double end bag work this afternoon. Shin's are killing me.
    Pretty sure I have shin splints, so I think sprints are now out of the equation. Sh*t's painful.
    Going to start using the stationary bike now and hitting the pools. No excuses for letting my conditioning go.

Drilled white belt stuff today. Escapes and submissions.
    I need to order the techniques into a routine so I can grade. Wasn't planning on it originally but I thought why not? I can get it done.
    A week of solid drilling should do the trick.

A week of boring drilling and shin rehabbing.
    Nothing to report except that I got another stripe on my belt.
    Lifting is light because I've stepped up my training and am sore as hell.

Looks like:

Day A-(mon and fri)
    Back Squat + assistance
    Flat Bench + assistance

Day B-(wednesday)
    Single leg deadlift + assistance
    Military Press + assistance

Deadlift is single leg because I'm lifting at home currently and maxed out in weights at 300lbs.
    Goal for squat is 20 reps @ 300lbs. Should take some time.
    Since I'm cutting costs for my training adventure I'll just have to be creative if I can't find a cheap gym membership.

Back into intense training. Shin's are feeling better, so I'm back working on my boxing.
    I'll be sparring again within the week. Looking at nearly 30 hours of training this week.

Outwrestled one of my buddies who just got his blue belt and had to listen to a 10 minute long speech of how he's tired and sore and not on his game etc.
    I guess getting your belt you feel inclined to beat everyone below you.
    I had to remind him that it's just training and not a big deal.

Updated stats.