jwheeler2542 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jwheeler2542 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jwheeler2542 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jwheeler2542 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jwheeler2542 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jwheeler2542 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jwheeler2542 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jwheeler2542 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jwheeler2542 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jwheeler2542 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jwheeler2542 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

mma workout program: take 2

Just recently posted an mma workout thread on this forum and have come to the conclusion that there would be a very strong possibility of overtraining so here is take 2:
    STATS:
    17 years old
    5'11" 136 lbs.
    Bench:185
    Dead:215 (would be higher but cant hold anything much higher than that)
    Squat:300

Will be working out twice each day. most likely having the ab and forearm circuits in the morning with main workouts later in the day

Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday:
    Road Work: at least 1 mile (weighted or non-weighted)
    Jump Rope: 30 minutes (4minutes on x 1minute rest until can do for 30 minutes straight)
    Bag Work: minimum of 30 minutes punch and kick work on 75lb. bag (5minutes x 1 minute)
    Speed Bag: 15 minutes to improve coordination along with focus pad work

Monday/Friday:
    1/2 mile jog to warm up
    Clean and Press: 2x8
    Squats: 2x10
    Barbell Pullovers: 2x8 (supersetted with squat)
    Bench Press: 2x6
    Good Mornings: 2x12
    Chin-Ups: 2x15
    1/2-1 mile jog for cardio

Wednesday: Circuit Style training (1 minute each exercise x 1 minute rest after circuit)
    Push Ups
    Burpees
    Box Jumps
    Drop Jumps
    Weighted Punches (5lb db or lower)
    15-30 minutes on stationary bike

Saturday: If there is no sparring repeat sunday. If sparring repeat sunday without bag work
    5 rounds of sparring (if partner will go for it)

Daily Ab and Forearm circuits
    Abs: x4 Forearm: x4
    Leg Pull-In x25 Palm-Down Wrist Curl Over Bench x20
    Lying Leg Raises x25 Behind Back Wrist Curl x20
    Barbell Side Bends x25 Hand Grips x35

Will be practicing forms based off of prior MMA experience until i find suitable classes to attend. any ideas or possible improvements would be appreciated. reps for good advice!
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." -Bruce Lee
    "Using no way as way, Having no limitation as limitation" -Bruce Lee
    "Do or do not, there is no try" -Master Yoda
    "There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level". -Bruce Lee

R.I.P Larry "Dad" Wheeler November 24, 1942 - December 8, 2008

ryanrage has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ryanrage has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ryanrage has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    use power hooks u can get them from walmart for under 10 dollars took my deadlift from 225 to 325 and helped in alot of other pulling exercises
    ryanrage

MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ryanrage View Post
    use power hooks u can get them from walmart for under 10 dollars took my deadlift from 225 to 325 and helped in alot of other pulling exercises
    Grip is highly important in MA/MMA though.
    blahhhhh
    MISC STRENGTH CREW

m41a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m41a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m41a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m41a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m41a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m41a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m41a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m41a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m41a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m41a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m41a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jwheeler2542 View Post
    Just recently posted an mma workout thread on this forum and have come to the conclusion that there would be a very strong possibility of overtraining so here is take 2:
    STATS:
    17 years old
    5'11" 136 lbs.
    Bench:185
    Dead:215 (would be higher but cant hold anything much higher than that)
    Squat:300

Will be working out twice each day. most likely having the ab and forearm circuits in the morning with main workouts later in the day

Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday:
    Road Work: at least 1 mile (weighted or non-weighted)
    Jump Rope: 30 minutes (4minutes on x 1minute rest until can do for 30 minutes straight)
    Bag Work: minimum of 30 minutes punch and kick work on 75lb. bag (5minutes x 1 minute)
    Speed Bag: 15 minutes to improve coordination along with focus pad work

Monday/Friday:
    1/2 mile jog to warm up
    Clean and Press: 2x8
    Squats: 2x10
    Barbell Pullovers: 2x8 (supersetted with squat)
    Bench Press: 2x6
    Good Mornings: 2x12
    Chin-Ups: 2x15
    1/2-1 mile jog for cardio

Wednesday: Circuit Style training (1 minute each exercise x 1 minute rest after circuit)
    Push Ups
    Burpees
    Box Jumps
    Drop Jumps
    Weighted Punches (5lb db or lower)
    15-30 minutes on stationary bike

Saturday: If there is no sparring repeat sunday. If sparring repeat sunday without bag work
    5 rounds of sparring (if partner will go for it)

Daily Ab and Forearm circuits
    Abs: x4 Forearm: x4
    Leg Pull-In x25 Palm-Down Wrist Curl Over Bench x20
    Lying Leg Raises x25 Behind Back Wrist Curl x20
    Barbell Side Bends x25 Hand Grips x35

Will be practicing forms based off of prior MMA experience until i find suitable classes to attend. any ideas or possible improvements would be appreciated. reps for good advice!
    as long as your not strength training on the same days as you grapple or do stand up, you should be fine. mixing grappling and stand up with heavy lifting on same day can impact the joint, the joint after a workout is very suspetable to being injured , mixing together can guarantee injury. many have learned this lesson especially heavyweight boxers. circuits are ok on mma days, but if you do strength train, do it on separate days. i had noticed you had 1 exercise for your back that was considered a vertical pull, but your missing the very most important part of the back, that is used in grappling/bjj/wrestling especially, horizontal pulls which is pulled directly toward your chest such as rows, throw that in with vertical pulling motions such as pull ups, chin ups and pull downs , now the science of the body's motions are complete. thats what you want.

i try to lift 4 days a week, 2 days strength train on days off, and 2 circuits in between. the idea in mma is get strong in the beginning , but the goal is to lose the weight , but carry the stregnth over and have for fight night. the mma routine goes by 3 phases 6-8 weeks outs, 1.strength training 2. circuit endurance training. 3. body weight exersizes/plyometrics. but this routine i had designed is to have a balance of all phases in one which is a program you can train year round. but unless your a well balanced overall and want to concentrate on just strength alone, or explosive power alone or circuits alone, then i can modify the routine by taking away other things and adding more of what you need.

i try do the push , pull, squat and bend method for strength training, those are the key components of the bodies muscles being used for just about anything. then its push,pull squat,bend and twist for circuit conditioning. now the body is hit from all angles with strength training, explosive training, plyometrics training and circuit training. its what any fighter needs or any athlete. doing compound movements with heavy lifting involved with long rest periods will give you great power for shooting, slaming and striking. explosive training can really help a more explosive punch,kick and shooting. light circuit lifting is best for going the distance in a fight. plyometric training is really good for defense in grappling, whether its defending from a submission or defending a take down from a wrestler or just holding positioning for bjj, especially developing strength for side controll. best way to train for weight training in my opinion.

things you will need.

strength training. develop over all strength

explosive training.develops explosive twitch

endurance training . develops muscle endurance and cardiovascular

plyometric training. develops the stability of the muscle; holding positions

Mon

roadwork 3 mile run when wake
    strength train day
    chest/back/front delt/ 6-8 sets 6-8 rep range of each musclegroup.
    2 sets flat bench 2 sets bent over row
    2 sets incline 2 sets high bar row
    2 sets decline 2 sets deadlift
    2-sets power press 2 sets of pullups

TUES

3 mile run
    30 min of intervals drills as warm ups
    bjj/mma grappling/sparing,technique for 2 hours.

Wednesday

3 mile run
    muay thai for 2 hours, bag, technique and sparring.
    1.leg/core/[arm misc.}lower body circuit circuit, consist on Wednesday of cardio wise conditioning the legs/core and arms, using 95-135lbs, 3-5 sets with weights 10x of each exercise going from a squat, good morning, lunge, dead lift, going into bodyweight exercises.

2. body weight exercises

30 second- minute sets or failure sets for each natural body weight exercise. examples; 30 second of jump sqauts, 30 seconds of stair climbs, then plometrics... 30 second of regular plyos, 30 second of jump sqaut plyo and {30 second of bicep and tricep plyo ){btw, the bicep plyo is great for giving the arm the strength to defend against a arm-bar...
    reverse sit up,reverse sit up plyo, then 1 minute of crunch. minute crunch plyos. remember it should take you awhile to finish a few minutes to do 1 set, by doing that it simulate round time.

Thurs

3 mile run
    30 minute interval drills
    bjj/mma/grapple/technique and beatdowns

Friday

3 mile run
    30 minute drills
    bjj/muay thai /grapple and spar
    1.chest/back/core upperbody circuit ,cardio wise conditioning for the chest,back/core going from a clean and press,row, to a bench.
    3-5 sets with weights 10x of each exercise follow by 30 second body weight exercise. ( remember, the body weight exercises is part of the weight training circuit as well=a set.

2.body weight exercises

30 second- minute sets or faliure sets for each natural body weight exercise. example; 30 second explosive pushups, 30 second handwalks, 30 second dips [if you can last] lol 30 second pullups etc, then chest press plyo and back-row plyo for 30 seconds.....even if not 30 seconds or even 20 just goto faliure. btw, the( back-row plyo is great for wrestlers especially going for mid section and double leg take downs.

Saturday

strength train day 2
    legs/arms/rear delts. 6-8 sets , 6-8 rep range of each muscle group
    3 sets of heavy squats
    3 sets of stiff legged dead lifts
    1 set of hamstrings curls till failure
    1 set of quad extension till faliure

2 sets of strait bar curl superseted 2 sets of tricep push down
    2 sets of preacher curl 2 sets of overhead tricep extension
    2 sets of dumbbell 2 sets of skull crusher with dumbbell

2 sets of side delt raises
    2 sets of rear raises

Sunday rest.

this is routine i designed myself, im also a personal trainer , i have been over 7 years.
    and trust me it works iv been told.
    Last edited by m41a; 01-27-2011 at 10:36 PM.

m41a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m41a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m41a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m41a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m41a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m41a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m41a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m41a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m41a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m41a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m41a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MadDogMalesh View Post
    Grip is highly important in MA/MMA though.
    hooks arent bad if your bodybuilding, but for mma no way.

this is how i used to see, when we use to train legs for football in high-school we had a bench under are ass for squatting . coach would say " watf? get rid of that, is a bench going to be under your ass when you coming off the line?" he was 100% correct.

same thing with mma, the hooks will help you lift more weight in the gym, but are you taking hooks with you in a cage?......hey don't get me wrong, they might make a nice weapon though lol.

i had made a correction, where i had plyo with iso, my bad. here it is

strength training. develop over all strength

plyometric training.develops explosive twitch

endurance training . develops muscle endurance and cardiovascular

isometric training. develops the stability of the muscle; holding positions

interval training : helps overall conditioning and speed, you will get most of this conditioning as warm ups and at the end of class

Mon

roadwork 3 mile run when wake
    strength train day/ barbell and dumbell every other week.
    chest/back/front delt/ 6-8 sets 6-8 rep range of each musclegroup.
    2 sets flat bench 2 sets bent over row
    2 sets incline 2 sets high bar row
    2 sets decline 2 sets deadlift
    2-sets power press 2 sets of pullups

TUES

3 mile run
    30 min of intervals drills as warm ups, jump rope ball slams, medicine ball throws, wheel barrels , up downs and suicides.
    bjj/mma grappling/sparing,technique for 2 hours.

Wednesday

3 mile run
    muay thai for 2 hours, bag, technique and sparring.
    1.leg/core/[arm misc.}lower body circuit circuit, consist on Wednesday of cardio wise conditioning the legs/core and arms, using 95-135lbs, 3-5 sets with weights 10x of each exercise going from a squat, good morning, lunge, dead lift, going into bodyweight exercises.

2. body weight exercises/plyometrics/isometric mix

30 second- minute sets or failure sets for each natural body weight exercise. examples; 30 second of jump plyo/ sqauts, 30 seconds of stair climbs, ... 30 second of iso planks, {30 second of bicep and tricep iso ){btw, the bicep iso is great for giving the arm the strength to defend against a arm-bar...
    reverse sit up,reverse sit up iso, then 1 minute of crunch. minute crunch iso. remember it should take you awhile to finish a few minutes to do 1 set, by doing that it simulate round time.

Thurs

3 mile run
    30 minute interval drills, as warm ups, jump rope ball slams, medicine ball throws, wheel barrels , up downs and suicides, back crawls
    bjj/mma/grapple/technique and beatdowns

Friday

3 mile run
    30 minute drills
    bjj/muay thai /grapple and spar
    1.chest/back/core upperbody circuit ,cardio wise conditioning for the chest,back/core going from a clean and press,row, to a bench. kettle bell can be subbed for b.b and d.b as well.
    3-5 sets with weights 10x of each exercise follow by 30 second body weight exercise. ( remember, the body weight exercises is part of the weight training circuit as well=a set.

2.body weight exercises/plyometrics/isometric mix

30 second- minute sets or faliure sets for each natural body weight exercise. example; 30 second explosive plyo pushups, 30 second plyo b bar row pullups, 30 second handwalks, 30 second dips [if you can last] lol 30 second plyo pullups etc,, chest press iso/ back row iso,.....even if not 30 seconds or even 20 just goto faliure. btw, the( back-row iso is great for wrestlers especially going for mid section and double leg take downs.

Saturday

strength train day 2
    legs/arms/rear delts. 6-8 sets , 6-8 rep range of each muscle group
    3 sets of heavy squats
    3 sets of stiff legged dead lifts
    1 set of hamstrings curls till failure
    1 set of quad extension till faliure

2 sets of strait bar curl superseted 2 sets of tricep push down
    2 sets of preacher curl 2 sets of overhead tricep extension
    2 sets of dumbbell 2 sets of skull crusher with dumbbell

2 sets of side delt raises
    2 sets of rear raises

Sunday rest.

this is routine i designed myself, im also a personal trainer , i have been over 7 years.
    and trust me it works iv been told.
    Last edited by m41a; 01-31-2011 at 10:55 PM.