robcassell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Best way to work out muscle groups?

On the days where I work out multiple parts (i.e. monday is chest/shoulders/triceps), is it better to work out the same muscle group in back to back exercises, or mix it up between muscle groups.

For example, is it better to:
    a) do all chest exercises in a row, then all shoulder exercises, then all triceps
    OR
    b) do a chest, then a shoulder, then a tricep.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    The answer to this one is going to be a real mixed bag.

Generally, option "a" is a "better" way to go. Do all the work for your largest bodyparts and then the smaller ones in turn.

There are exceptions, of course. One that comes to mind is when a lagging bodypart must be prioritized in order to bring it up to par. This wouldn't be a consideration though until you'd reached a somewhat advanced level.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Based on what you said...im guessing you are doing some sort of upper/lower split?

I think you need to experiment with what works for you. I think that most would work in a linear form...all chest, then all shoulder, etc.

However, some people like to work antagonistic muscle groups. Say back then chest (a pull/push workout)

Ultimately its up to you...and what your body agrees with, but as iron will said working larger groups and working to smaller groups would likely be more common, but doesnt mean you HAVE to.

Also mentioned by will was prioritizing which should be factored in. Hit the group that is lagging.

As a final point...with chest exercises...the shoulders AND triceps are used and stabilizing muscles...so no matter what order you do the three, you are pre exhausting one group, thus the following two will already be tired by the time you hit them. If you do chest first, your shoulders and tris are going to be worked. But, if you hit shoulders first...they will be pre-exhausted by the time you hit chest.

So you have to ask yourself...is your current routine the best for you? Is it hitting the goals you want? If it works for you, and you like it, then...what do you really want to hit hard? Place that first.
    ~ Infinite Labs Rep
    http://infinitelabsstore.com/

♦♦ I Am Juggernaut Challenge ♦♦ Win a Trip to the 2011 Mr. Olympia!!!
    www.iamjuggernaut.com
    http://iamjuggernaut.com/rules.pdf

Group Juggernaut!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/group.php?groupid=30172

Visit Infinite Labs on ********:
    http://www.********.com/InfiniteLabsSupplements

ROM and MMC are more important than EGO
    400Lb Gorilla

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by robcassell View Post
    On the days where I work out multiple parts (i.e. monday is chest/shoulders/triceps), is it better to work out the same muscle group in back to back exercises, or mix it up between muscle groups.

For example, is it better to:
    a) do all chest exercises in a row, then all shoulder exercises, then all triceps
    OR
    b) do a chest, then a shoulder, then a tricep.
    Well first of all a lot of chest and shoulder exercises already involve the triceps and most chest exercises also involve the shoulders (the anterior deltoid).

You could divide up your workout according to lifts as opposed to muscles. I too have a chest-shoulder-triceps day and this is the order I do my stuff in:
    Bench press
    Snatches
    Overhead press/push press/jerk
    Incline db press
    Lateral raises
    Dips

Although I generally do my lifts from heaviest to lightest, there is a slight exception here with dips being last.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100)
    for me, i will try the first one as my best. the more chest and shoulder will increase the triceps. and the more chest involves the shoulder.