Registered User nas_is_illmatic's Avatar
    nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000)

Kid I Know How Really Good Aesthetics From Just Front Squats, Deadlift and Military

I don't get how my friend has good aesthetics (broad shoulders, slim waist, decent size but not jacked) just from doing Squats, Deadlifts and Military Press for weight training and then cardio + yoga on off days. How the hell does this idiot get good arms, upper back, chest, etc. from just those 3 movements and yoga? I do every isolation exercise + a compound in my split and I have had **** results!

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Simple good genetics. The vast majority of pro athletes in all sports share the same trait.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000)
    oh, I guess he also does some pushups too, but still. FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU! It can't just be good genetics because his parents are chubby and he used to be chubby before he did deadlifts and squats

basava has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) basava has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    diet

and training hard

those lifts will work pretty much every muscle except calves
    "There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."

basava has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) basava has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by nas_is_illmatic View Post
    oh, I guess he also does some pushups too, but still. FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU! It can't just be good genetics because his parents are chubby and he used to be chubby before he did deadlifts and squats
    just because his parents don't look good doesn't mean he doesn't have good genetics. They probably don't train or diet correctly, so you have no idea what their potential is. Also, many traits are recessive
    "There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."

Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't get how my friend has good aesthetics (broad shoulders, slim waist, decent size but not jacked) just from doing Squats, Deadlifts and Military Press for weight training and then cardio + yoga on off days. How the hell does this idiot get good arms, upper back, chest, etc. from just those 3 movements and yoga? I do every isolation exercise + a compound in my split and I have had **** results!
    Maybe he eats more or less, maybe he does not do a stupid split with every stupid isolation under the sun, maybe he has good programming when he trains squats, press and deadlifts... Maybe he has been doing it longer, maybe is doing it right and some other dude is doingitwrong.

Doubt yoga has anything to do with it and bone structure is genetics.

Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by basava View Post
    diet

and training hard

those lifts will work pretty much every muscle except calves
    Calves too.

raleighwood has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You can get jacked from those lifts alone...

In fact, as a beginner you should only be focusing on lifts like that. (Squat, Dead, Bench, Overhead Press).

If you dropped the isolation lifts and focused on getting your diet in order and gaining 100lbs to your bench/press and 200 lbs to your squat and dead, you will have an amazing physique all naturally.
    NSCA-CPT

"Sweat in training, so you don't bleed in battle."

__JACK__ is on a distinguished road. (+10) __JACK__ is on a distinguished road. (+10) __JACK__ is on a distinguished road. (+10) __JACK__ is on a distinguished road. (+10) __JACK__ is on a distinguished road. (+10) __JACK__ is on a distinguished road. (+10) __JACK__ is on a distinguished road. (+10) __JACK__ is on a distinguished road. (+10) __JACK__ is on a distinguished road. (+10) __JACK__ is on a distinguished road. (+10) __JACK__ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by basava View Post
    just because his parents don't look good doesn't mean he doesn't have good genetics. They probably don't train or diet correctly, so you have no idea what their potential is. Also, many traits are recessive
    ^^^^ This.

Mass Quantities Consumer theGuy045's Avatar
    theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50) theGuy045 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by raleighwood View Post
    If you dropped the isolation lifts and focused on getting your diet in order and gaining 100lbs to your bench/press and 200 lbs to your squat and dead, you will have an amazing physique all naturally.
    meh. i did that. its not all its wrapped up to be. u gotta mix it up.
    '.'
    ',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',
    stickies + search button = teaching a man to fish
    ',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',','
    .'.________________

raleighwood has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by theGuy045 View Post
    meh. i did that. its not all its wrapped up to be. u gotta mix it up.
    You really think that focusing on isolation is more productive than keeping your diet in order and driving up the poundage in the big lifts?

You do realize the foundation you build through getting stronger than hell will do much more for your development then trying to build bulging biceps on a petite frame?
    NSCA-CPT

"Sweat in training, so you don't bleed in battle."

jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I see no reason you can't get pretty jacked from a routine built around front squats, deadlifts and overhead presses. Those lifts together will hit everything important. The important thing is the progression on those lifts. It's essentially analogous to a powerlifter who bases his entire routine off of the back squat, deadlift and bench press. Well, you can be pretty sure a PLer who has 400/500/600 on the bench/squat/dead will be jacked, provided he doesn't have too much BF on top. Likewise, if someone who trained around the press, front squat and deadlift and had, say, 250/400/600 on the press/front squat/dead, that would be pretty clearly reflected in their physique.

It doesn't matter that you do "every isolation exercise + a compound" in your split. In fact, that sounds like a poor way to train.
    Last edited by jb4476; 12-11-2010 at 07:33 PM.

supern0va is on a distinguished road. (+10) supern0va is on a distinguished road. (+10) supern0va is on a distinguished road. (+10) supern0va is on a distinguished road. (+10) supern0va is on a distinguished road. (+10) supern0va is on a distinguished road. (+10) supern0va is on a distinguished road. (+10) supern0va is on a distinguished road. (+10) supern0va is on a distinguished road. (+10) supern0va is on a distinguished road. (+10) supern0va is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by raleighwood View Post
    You really think that focusing on isolation is more productive than keeping your diet in order and driving up the poundage in the big lifts?

You do realize the foundation you build through getting stronger than hell will do much more for your development then trying to build bulging biceps on a petite frame?
    He didn't say anything about isos. I think he just meant you have to do more than just squats and deads. And I would agree with this.

Originally Posted by jb4476 View Post
    I see no reason you can't get pretty jacked from a routine built around front squats, deadlifts and overhead presses. Those lifts together will hit everything important. The important thing is the progression on those lifts. It's essentially analogous to a powerlifter who bases his entire routine off of the back squat, deadlift and bench press. Well, you can be pretty sure a PLer who has 400/500/600 on the bench/squat/dead will be jacked, provided he doesn't have too much BF on top. Likewise, if someone who trained around the press, front squat and deadlift and had, say, 250/400/600 on the press/front squat/dead, that would be pretty clearly reflected in their physique.

It doesn't matter that you do "every isolation exercise + a compound" in your split. In fact, that sounds like a poor way to train.
    How would you work your chest, biceps, upper back with squats, deadlifts, overhead presses? Should I seriously just focus on those + maybe rows for back + biceps? What would be the best way to go about training like that?

Undone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Undone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Undone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Undone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Undone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Undone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Undone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Undone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Undone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Undone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Undone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Heavy_Beats View Post
    Maybe he eats more or less, maybe he does not do a stupid split with every stupid isolation under the sun, maybe he has good programming when he trains squats, press and deadlifts... Maybe he has been doing it longer, maybe is doing it right and some other dude is doingitwrong.
    This.

OP, just train with your buddy and learn from what he's done. If you can't do that for some reason, this routine might be similar to what you'd want to try:

http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm